LW Johnny Gaudreau (2011, 104th overall, Calgary) IV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
So flames fans are excited about prospect who put up in real numbers in college. Have high expectations and haters tell them they need to not be excited and that Gaudreau will bust etc.

Gaudreau makes team, and has slow start.... haters come in and say they were right.

Gaudreau starts playing the way he was expected to. Haters say its just a hot streak and Flame fans still shouldnt be excited because it happens all the time.

Gaudreau cant win. When will everyone just admit Flame fans were correct?

BacksInTheSaddle

Feb 6, 2014
Saskatchewan
So flames fans are excited about prospect who put up in real numbers in college. Have high expectations and haters tell them they need to not be excited and that Gaudreau will bust etc.

Gaudreau makes team, and has slow start.... haters come in and say they were right.

Gaudreau starts playing the way he was expected to. Haters say its just a hot streak and Flame fans still shouldnt be excited because it happens all the time.

Guy could make the HOF and people would still say "he's too small to succeed". Flames Fans will never be "considered" correct in this regard, it just wont happen, but that doesn't mean that we wont be correct.

HockeyGuy1975

May 22, 2009
I really didn't think Gaudreau would be doing this well but I can admit I was wrong and he has adapted very well.

But Flames fans need to calm down with the hype a bit. We aren't even 20 games into the season. He deserves credit for what he has done so far but it isn't the first time a young player gets onto a hot start. Give him time before we really evaluate him.

What hype are you talking about? The thrust of the "hype" was that he could finish with about 40 points as a rookie. He is more than 25% of the way there and has 60 games to go.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009

I'll be more impressed when he does it over the course of a full season or two, for the same reason I never bought the hype over Tyler Myers.

Johnny Hockey has as much skill as I've seen in a player. He's smart, crafty, hard working and gifted. I just want to see him produce at the NHL for more than a dozen games or even half a season. Until he does that, I will hold off on believing Flames fans that say he'll be a star. They could be right in the end. They could also be wrong. Nothing is guaranteed in hockey, or Filatov would be challenging for scoring titles while Heatley would have punched his ticket to the hall of fame in 07

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica
No one is saying he's a star right now lmao.

We're merely calling out those who claimed Johnny wouldn't cut it in the NHL because he'll get crushed by "higher competition" as soon as he steps on the ice.

It's a nice bonus to see him meeting and even exceeding the 40 point season we all expected him to have.

However, are we enjoying the show? Hell yeah! Are we having fun making those people eat crow? Hell yeah!

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
I'll be more impressed when he does it over the course of a full season or two, for the same reason I never bought the hype over Tyler Myers.

Johnny Hockey has as much skill as I've seen in a player. He's smart, crafty, hard working and gifted. I just want to see him produce at the NHL for more than a dozen games or even half a season. Until he does that, I will hold off on believing Flames fans that say he'll be a star. They could be right in the end. They could also be wrong. Nothing is guaranteed in hockey, or Filatov would be challenging for scoring titles while Heatley would have punched his ticket to the hall of fame in 07

For those of us who have been watching him for longer than 12 games, this is expected.

I guess I can understand why people who havent seen enough of him may doubt him, but, its funny that the ones who DID see him all pretty much predicted this start to his career.

stardefender*

There's a difference between labeling him a sure fire star, and laughing at the jealous spiteful haters who wrote him off five games into his first season.

No one is saying he's a lock, but he's definitely not unable to play in the NHL because of his size or an AHL tweener. Those premature spiteful comments were ridiculous.

HockeyGuy1975

May 22, 2009
Wayne Gretzky on Johnny Hockey:

Did Spotsnet followup that segment with the biggest buffoon on television (Healy) complaining about the title "Johnny Hockey" and how Gaudreau doesn't deserve the title b/c he isn't that good -- as if Gaudreau gave himself the title. :laugh:

May 23, 2007
Calgary
I really didn't think Gaudreau would be doing this well but I can admit I was wrong and he has adapted very well.

But Flames fans need to calm down with the hype a bit. We aren't even 20 games into the season. He deserves credit for what he has done so far but it isn't the first time a young player gets onto a hot start. Give him time before we really evaluate him.

First it was "He won't last 3 games in the NHL" now it's "Let's wait a bit longer till we evaluate him".

Next it's going to be "Let's wait and see if he can do this for a couple more seasons."

Jesus.

Besides, it's not just Flames fans that are hyping him. Half of the hype is from other fans.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Most of the bores have shuffled off, too embarrassed to speak in this thread every again. I hear a muffled voice, "well, his checking upside at a national hockey league level...(inaudable) Matt Beleskey..."

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I've kept a close eye on him since I have him in a keeper league. The guy is just so much fun to watch. I don't get all the hate he's received in this thread (on this board in general). I knew about his talent with the puck, but his play without is what's left me most impressed. This kid if the real deal, you've got a keeper Calgary.

Pizza the Hutt

Game 6 Truther
Mar 22, 2012
The hype on this kid is ridiculous. Let's see if he can make the HOF on the first ballot before we start using all these statistics and adjectives to describe and qualify how good he is at ice hockey.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
The hype on this kid is ridiculous. Let's see if he can make the HOF on the first ballot before we start using all these statistics and adjectives to describe and qualify how good he is at ice hockey.

Please...he's already in the HHOF, but he's just too busy to attend the ceremony so they are putting it off for now.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
Before the season started, I predicted 57 points. I stand by that.
Before the season I thought you were a nut bar. And while I still do think you are a nut bar :laugh:I now think you will be closer than me (I predicted 30-35 point pace as a rookie)

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Before the season I thought you were a nut bar. And while I still do think you are a nut bar :laugh:I now think you will be closer than me (I predicted 30-35 point pace as a rookie)

:laugh: I don't deny being a nut bar either. Johnny to me was the perfect example of a ripened prospect, I felt pretty confident he would come in this season and contribute. I also predict his 2nd half of this season will be better than his first.

I don't take lightly what I predicted either. I usually think a 35pt rookie season is an excellent year for most players. Gaudreau is just that good though.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Love seeing Johnny G. having a great start. I just like seeing talented undersized players in general succeeding -- they're very fun to watch.

FoppaForsberg*

I think he'll struggle to keep up his current pace over 82 games vs what he's used to in college. 35 or 40 points is what he ends up with imo.

Mar 31, 2005
East Coast
I think he'll struggle to keep up his current pace over 82 games vs what he's used to in college. 35 or 40 points is what he ends up with imo.

Yes, the consensus 40-45 points is still reasonable considering he will likely accelerate due to 'adjustment' then decelerate because he is a 150 lbs rookie playing 80 games.

The nice thing is his ninja defensive game is working at the NHL level, he's not a defensive liability out there. Even more exciting than the points IMO.

0 hits still, when does Johnny unleash the BOOM on the NHL and record his 1st NHL hit?!? #bust :laugh:

Caged Great

Jan 1, 2007
Calgary
Yes, the consensus 40-45 points is still reasonable considering he will likely accelerate due to 'adjustment' then decelerate because he is a 150 lbs rookie playing 80 games.

The nice thing is his ninja defensive game is working at the NHL level, he's not a defensive liability out there. Even more exciting than the points IMO.

0 hits still, when does Johnny unleash the BOOM on the NHL and record his 1st NHL hit?!? #bust :laugh:

He's taking lessons off Byron on how to hit the Sedins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad