LW Johnny Gaudreau (2011, 104th overall, Calgary) IV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
But.... 30-40 points is his ceiling.
he is on pace for 55 points. Even if he only plays 60 games (which I would be okay with because it is a much bigger workload in the NHL) he would still be on pace for 41. It's crazy how well he is producing. Definitely playing beyond my expectations for him as a rookie.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Kid was electric last night. Not a Flames fan and I have been pretty critical of Johnny early on (though I never doubted he'd be a top 6 winger), but credit where credit is due. This kid looks excellent.

CraigsList

RIP #13
Apr 22, 2014
USA
he is on pace for 55 points. Even if he only plays 60 games (which I would be okay with because it is a much bigger workload in the NHL) he would still be on pace for 41. It's crazy how well he is producing. Definitely playing beyond my expectations for him as a rookie.

He's exceeded mine thus far as well. However, he needs to catch up to Forsberg or else he's a bust.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
He's been a bit snake bitten in terms of actual goals, but he's shown that he's a excellent playmaker, the goals will come. He usually has 3 or 4 just outstanding chances a game.

Trae

Calgary
his shootout move was nasty last night...

st.louis comparisons?

It's pretty consensus among panelists and fans at this point that he plays a mixed style between Datsyuk and Kane.

** Obligatory disclaimer that that means playing style only and not ceiling.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
It's kind of hard to find a comparison for him. For a small player, he's also excellent defensively, which was a nice surprise to me.

He leads all Flames forwards in +/- at +9. The next closest to him is +4.

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
Kane or Kariya are the closest comparisons I can think of.

I'm usually not a fan of player comparisons though, because a lot of players are too unique. Sometimes the similarities are uncanny and the comparison is warranted, but most times you'll find as many differences as there are similarities between players and the comparison will leave people with the wrong idea.

nik-

Sep 13, 2004
Another look at that filthy shootout goal from last night:

Another bonus of this clip is that it partially shows the BS sound issues Flames games on Sportsnet have to deal with. You hear the results before you see the results.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I don't like the Kane comparisons all that much. He's the kind of playmaker that makes the quick pass before deciding to hold and dangle, where as Kane likes to hold onto the puck and skate around with it more.

Honestly, his playmaking and anticipation style reminds me more of Crosby. His passing, as well as his ability to get open around the net, are nearly identical. Gaudreau is obviously much weaker and can't protect the puck in the same way as Sid though.

Honestly, the best stylistic comparison is Gretzky. Smaller player with unexceptional skating ability, but possess generational hockey IQ and are stronger and more elusive than you'd think.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I don't like the Kane comparisons all that much. He's the kind of playmaker that makes the quick pass before deciding to hold and dangle, where as Kane likes to hold onto the puck and skate around with it more.

Honestly, his playmaking and anticipation style reminds me more of Crosby. His passing, as well as his ability to get open around the net, are nearly identical. Gaudreau is obviously much weaker and can't protect the puck in the same way as Sid though.

Honestly, the best stylistic comparison is Gretzky. Smaller player with unexceptional skating ability, but possess generational hockey IQ and are stronger and more elusive than you'd think.

I'd agree and the Gretzky comparison. Not saying he's anywhere as good obviously. Just that's the best style comparison.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I'd agree and the Gretzky comparison. Not saying he's anywhere as good obviously. Just that's the best style comparison.

Last night he reminded me of Datsyuk in his ability to strip the puck off of players and be half way up the ice before they even realize what happened, but is play behind the net and in the corners does remind me of Gretzky.

stardefender*

Gaudreau wins a puck battle vs. Vatanen and sets up Dennis Wideman:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
He's an exceptional and rare talent. His game and style is all Gaudreau. The NHL and its fans are on notice, kid is a keeper.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Watched the game and have to say he reminds me of Paul Kariya. Didn't believe in this kid at all but have to admit he's gonna be star and a funny player to watch. Now Calgary only needs to find Selanne.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012

I really agree with the bolded.

And man, I'm unfortunately starting to like the Flames and their future.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Watched the game and have to say he reminds me of Paul Kariya. Didn't believe in this kid at all but have to admit he's gonna be star and a funny player to watch. Now Calgary only needs to find Selanne.

That is the best comparison I can think of.

Steven

May 10, 2009
I actually don't really see the Kariya comparison. Both were undersized guys with insane college numbers, but Kariya in his prime (basically his years in Anaheim) was an adept goal scorer. He hit 30 four times, 40 twice, and even had a 50 goal season in his career. I know these comparisons are based on play style and not the skill level we expect Gaudreau to reach. But personally I see Gaudreau developing as much more of a playmaker. Even if Johnny does reach his potential, and become as good as we hope he can be, I'd be surprised if he ever hit 30 goals.

I still think the closest comparison is Kane. They both have a certain shiftiness with the puck that practically no one else has. Kane has also been much more of a set-up guy than a finisher in his career. I think that if Gaudreau does end up putting up serious numbers in the NHL, it'll be with his passing ability and vision, and his way of finding guys in perfect spots for scoring chances. Not with his goal-scoring ability, like Kariya.

Note: I'm not saying Kariya couldn't pass the puck either, but his numbers throughout his career saw him put up a close goals-to-assists ratio, especially in his prime. He even had seasons where he put up more goals than assists.

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
I actually don't really see the Kariya comparison. Both were undersized guys with insane college numbers, but Kariya in his prime (basically his years in Anaheim) was an adept goal scorer. He hit 30 four times, 40 twice, and even had a 50 goal season in his career. I know these comparisons are based on play style and not the skill level we expect Gaudreau to reach. But personally I see Gaudreau developing as much more of a playmaker. Even if Johnny does reach his potential, and become as good as we hope he can be, I'd be surprised if he ever hit 30 goals.

I still think the closest comparison is Kane. They both have a certain shiftiness with the puck that practically no one else has. Kane has also been much more of a set-up guy than a finisher in his career. I think that if Gaudreau does end up putting up serious numbers in the NHL, it'll be with his passing ability and vision, and his way of finding guys in perfect spots for scoring chances. Not with his goal-scoring ability, like Kariya.

Note: I'm not saying Kariya couldn't pass the puck either, but his numbers throughout his career saw him put up a close goals-to-assists ratio, especially in his prime. He even had seasons where he put up more goals than assists.

I expect you will be very surprised over the course of Johnny's career. They don't call him Johnny Hockey for nothing...he is going to surprise everyone! :nod:

Steven

May 10, 2009
I expect you will be very surprised over the course of Johnny's career. They don't call him Johnny Hockey for nothing...he is going to surprise everyone! :nod:

Oh believe me, I'm a huge believer in the kid. That wasn't supposed to be a knock against him. I've been on the Johnny bandwagon since I saw him play in person at the Flames 2011 development camp the year they drafted him. I attended every on-ice session for the camp and the kid left me in awe every day. He's definitely a capable goal-scorer, but he's far from a real sniper. 30 goal-scorers in today's NHL aren't that common, only 21 in total last season.

I should add though, while I doubt Johnny ever hits 30 goals, I could see him putting up 60+ assists in a season if he becomes as good as we hope. But hey, hopefully I am wrong and he adds 50 goals on top of those 60 assists ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad