LW Johnny Gaudreau (2011, 104th overall, Calgary) IV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

PsYcNeT

The No-Fun Zone
Jan 24, 2007
Is this a joke? He's on pace for 32 points. Pretty sure Ovechkin had more than triple that.

There are about 3-4 posters who like to come in and thread**** with bizarre praise, which hilariously exacerbates the posters who think people are claiming he's the best player since forever.

It's a hilarious, if tiring, cycle.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
And Selanne did that in a higher scoring era where goalies were awful :sarcasm:
Why would he be joking? JG is the greatest.

ec4.png

Flamesjustwin

Oct 8, 2010
London ON
I think the expectations on Gaudreau by Flames fans are higher then you suggest. I was attacked in the summer by Flames fans for comparing Gaudreau to Mike Cammalleri.

Flames fans were and are throwing around Kariya, St.Louis, and Kane as the Gaurdeau comps and balking at any comparison to lesser players.

When those 3 are the only comparisons that Flames fans will accept, it paints a pretty clear picture who they think Gaudreau is, and it's a higher level then what most other fans are predicting for him to achieve.
But is at the level that scouting experts believe he will be. I think I will take their opinion more seriously than fans of other teams.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
He made a play after covering the point last night where the puck came to him, he faked a slapper and then slip a pass over to the D coming back to his post.

Don't know if there's a gif of it anywhere, but it was a thing of beauty with a lot of skill/poise on display.

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
Isn't this what a good hockey player does?
Superstars and star players which is what had been advertised do a lot more.
This may sound silly as JG is slightly more than a rookie however the hype before the season was just that.
If you can't take the heat leave the kitchen. Being fourth highest scoring player on your own team is nothing to brag about.
Don't forget the threads where JG can score 40 goals this year?
I believe in Johnny and he has all the skill you love but I am tired of all this attention. Prove yourself on the NHL ice first than you can talk all you want.
He did not score tonight but had a really nice assist and played very well.
I hope that is what we expect from this guy.

This year really isn't when Gaudreau is going to prove people wrong. He's going to prove he belongs, but his numbers could be anywhere from 30 points to upwards of 50, depending on how quickly he figures things out.

That being said, you can't blame us for believing this kid is going to absolutely shred this league when he figures it out. There's still every indication that is exactly what he's going going to do.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
This year really isn't when Gaudreau is going to prove people wrong. He's going to prove he belongs, but his numbers could be anywhere from 30 points to upwards of 50, depending on how quickly he figures things out.

That being said, you can't blame us for believing this kid is going to absolutely shred this league when he figures it out. There's still every indication that is exactly what he's going going to do.

I think proving he belongs in the NHL is already proving almost all the doubters wrong. They first started that Johnny would never make the NHL, and he has done just that.

Whether he is going to be a star or a complimentary player is up for debate I believe, and we won't know till at least a few more years.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
But is at the level that scouting experts believe he will be. I think I will take their opinion more seriously than fans of other teams.

Please show me all the links to scouting experts predicting Gaudreau to play at the same level as a Kariya or P.Kane.

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
I think proving he belongs in the NHL is already proving almost all the doubters wrong. They first started that Johnny would never make the NHL, and he has done just that.

Whether he is going to be a star or a complimentary player is up for debate I believe, and we won't know till at least a few more years.

It won't be proven beyond a reasonable doubt until he's off his ELC, I'm sure. But he's already adjusted very well to NHL speed, he's limiting the big hits he's taking, and he thinks the game faster than 95% of the league.

Right now, he also lacks linemates who see the ice the way he does.The only guy on the roster who comes close is Monahan, and Hartley isn't playing them together yet. I'm certain it's happening eventually, but for now, they are on different defensive learning curves. When Gaudreau catches up, then the magic really starts.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

Maybe I'm missing something, but I've seen maybe 2 or 3 posters say he's going to be a bust.

The rest seem to think he will just be an "ok" player, rather than the ppg Kane/Kariya comparisons he gets from a few people.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Please show me all the links to scouting experts predicting Gaudreau to play at the same level as a Kariya or P.Kane.

Now I'm not saying there aren't overhyping idiots but the Kane comparisons are about playing style. I don't think Kariya is a good comparison styles wise, but his name comes up because of College level scoring stats.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
Maybe I'm missing something, but I've seen maybe 2 or 3 posters say he's going to be a bust.

The rest seem to think he will just be an "ok" player, rather than the ppg Kane/Kariya comparisons he gets from a few people.
He is referring to the fact the naysayers have been changing their opinions of him as he has progressed.

He's too small to succeed at BC to he's too small to play in the NHL to he's too small to make an impact in the NHL.

You can't just look at what people are saying today when these same people have been putting him down for much longer.

rick hawk

Apr 9, 2004
So far he's proven that he probably should have been drafted a little bit higher. Other than that the jury is still out IMO...

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com

Most of the comparisons stem from him being

a) The highest NCAA point getter since Kariya
b) Kane style of play (note: style)
c) Possible Ceiling giving the nature of his skillset

Unless he suffers a major injury, I do not see him busting, he has shown already he capable of adapting and has played with bigger guys all his life now and the NHL is not proving to be a stopping block for him. Ceilings are always guesses, who am I or anyone else to say how much he can improve or regress?

Getting an NHLer from the 4th round is already great. If you get a good one that picks up 40-50 points? That is pretty awesome. Anything more than that is just icing on the cake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad