LW Johnny Gaudreau (2011, 104th overall, Calgary) IV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DayTripper

Jul 9, 2013
DPR of HF
Too bad Byron couldn't put this one in:

giphy.gif

One thing I do have the say is Gaudreau was given a lot of space in the Habs game. I think he's struggled with the Western teams because most limit that space. He probably would have had more points by now if he was on the East.

He didn't do much against the injured and tanking Carolina Hurricanes, so I think there's a lot more to it than that.

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011
I think the expectations on Gaudreau by Flames fans are higher then you suggest. I was attacked in the summer by Flames fans for comparing Gaudreau to Mike Cammalleri.

Flames fans were and are throwing around Kariya, St.Louis, and Kane as the Gaurdeau comps and balking at any comparison to lesser players.

When those 3 are the only comparisons that Flames fans will accept, it paints a pretty clear picture who they think Gaudreau is, and it's a higher level then what most other fans are predicting for him to achieve.

You have received a few responses, but none that have been as straightforward as I was thinking there would be.

You were 'attacked' so to speak (and without looking at your posts or the replies) because it is a poor comparison. You watch Gaudreau play, and it is literally absolutely nothing like Cammy. I am not sure what 'lesser players' you were trying to compare him to, but if you are comparing players strictly by size, well... it would be like Flames' fans comparing McGrattan to Mario Lemieux - obviously an extreme exaggeration to illustrate the point here. You can't look at how a player is built, and directly compare two players.

The reason he has been compared to Kane, Kariya and St. Louis (St. Louis in my opinion is a poor comparison, but Kane and Kariya are fairly good) is due to PLAYSTYLE. It has ZERO to do with expectations. There are people who have compared him to Gretzky - and again, it is PLAYSTYLE. Nobody in their right minds is going to expect Gaudreau to be Gretzky, but the way he sets up behind the net and how he is so elusive does resemble SOME of the Great One's game.

I haven't read one post that was even half-serious saying Gaudreau = Kane, much less anyone else. One of the comparisons that keep popping up is Gerbe. Flames fans aren't taking 'offence' at making a comparison at a 'lesser player' as compared to Kane. If you have compared him to Gerbe and taken flack because of it, it is purely because Gerbe plays a completely different game than Gaudreau, and the comparison is a lazy one based on size only. Again, you simply can't compare a Mario Lemieux to any other player of similar height, can you? It is very plain to see that Gaudreau's playstyle resembles Kane and Kariya more, and if anyone compares his playstyle to Gerbe than they have either never watched Gerbe, or never watched Gaudreau, and are just making a comparison strictly on size which is absolutely meaningless.

Again, just to make sure you understand, "Play Style" =/= "Career Expectations".

Brooklanders*

Feb 26, 2012
This year really isn't when Gaudreau is going to prove people wrong. He's going to prove he belongs, but his numbers could be anywhere from 30 points to upwards of 50, depending on how quickly he figures things out.

That being said, you can't blame us for believing this kid is going to absolutely shred this league when he figures it out. There's still every indication that is exactly what he's going going to do.

Im a fan of Johnny just like everyone else. I haven't seen anyone call him a bust. All I see or hear is praise. He doesn't have doubters where he needs to prove himself like a Martin St. Louis.
At the same time I'm glad you have an exciting and talented fourth round steal of a player.
We all feel he has a very high ceiling and next season will be the true test.
But you can't deny all the premature giddiness on these boards and everywhere else.
The hype comes with a price.
While the critics will be waiting for failure his supporters will over hype him just as much.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Really dynamic against the Habs. If he can play like that more consistently and actually improve on that he'll be very good.

One thing I do have the say is Gaudreau was given a lot of space in the Habs game. I think he's struggled with the Western teams because most limit that space. He probably would have had more points by now if he was on the East.

Habs did play embarrassingly bad as well though, the team was just coming off being shut out by the Oilers the night before if that shows any indication of how bad their play has been on this road trip.

Last edited:

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Man I rewatched the 2nd period from the Habs game . . . he was just dominating the play with the puck on his stick.

I've seen him get like this a few times now in his career when he's really feeling it - the World Championships against Germany and the Czechs are great examples (even though he went pointless in the latter). This ability actually reminds me a lot of how Crosby can get. When they get going, they'll tend to have multiple sequences where they'll steal pucks, win battles, and create 2-3 grade A scoring chances, dominating below the circles with their skating, puck control, and vision/poise.

I'm just consistently shocked how strong on his stick Gaudreau can be. That's a big reason why he is among the tops in the league in takeaways I suppose.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Too bad Byron couldn't put this one in:

giphy.gif

He didn't do much against the injured and tanking Carolina Hurricanes, so I think there's a lot more to it than that.

Great pass, anyone else notice tiny little Byron stand up the Habs player too?:laugh: That was actually a pretty nice hit.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
There are a lot of players playing better than Gaudreau in NHL... what's your point? Gaudreau > Mackinnon thus far this season. I rest my case.

I don't exactly know what your case is supposed to be?

By your logic, Toffoli> Stamkos? Johnson> Giroux? Nelson> Ovi?

I could go on and on.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I realize I was hasty in declaring him the best top prospect since Lemieux. I will think before I shoot my mouth off next time. I'd like to thank the very wise posts for bringing this all back down to earth, and for protecting the very integrity of the game of Hockey. I'd like to suggest that no more Gaudreau gifs, or plays be mentioned in the Gaudreau thread. Please only talk about Nick Bonino and Emmersan Etam.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Man I rewatched the 2nd period from the Habs game . . . he was just dominating the play with the puck on his stick.

I've seen him get like this a few times now in his career when he's really feeling it - the World Championships against Germany and the Czechs are great examples (even though he went pointless in the latter). This ability actually reminds me a lot of how Crosby can get. When they get going, they'll tend to have multiple sequences where they'll steal pucks, win battles, and create 2-3 grade A scoring chances, dominating below the circles with their skating, puck control, and vision/poise.

I'm just consistently shocked how strong on his stick Gaudreau can be. That's a big reason why he is among the tops in the league in takeaways I suppose.

I watched him a lot at BC from the first row right in the corner. This is what amazed me too. He has tremendous strength, and wins the majority of puck battles against much bigger players. His coaches always mention this when asked to comment on him.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Right now JG has poor puck luck. The shoot out attempt was an example of that. He's been one of our better forwards in terms of possession, backchecking, and creativity. There's no question things will happen for him. Paul Byron took a long time to figure things out too

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
I have been hard on Gaudreau but he is fun to watch and would look real good with a ppg player. His point total is not on par with the amount of chances he has created. So with that I will lay off the kid for a while.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
The problem is why is he even stating that? What's even the point of saying that unless he thinks Gaudreau will put up a comparable season?

I could say Toffoli> Stamkos so far, but what does that have to do with anything at all?
Who cares why he said it? Right now it is factually correct. Just like if you said Toffoli was better than Stamkos so far this year, it would also be factually correct.

People need to read and comprehend posts before they fly off the handle.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
The problem is why is he even stating that? What's even the point of saying that unless he thinks Gaudreau will put up a comparable season?

I could say Toffoli> Stamkos so far, but what does that have to do with anything at all?

You care way too much about what people say about Gaudreau. There are pages and pages of you arguinf and putting him down. What is your issue with him? Hes a good player and a humble kid. Why so much hate?

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
You care way too much about what people say about Gaudreau. There are pages and pages of you arguinf and putting him down. What is your issue with him? Hes a good player and a humble kid. Why so much hate?

Weird, maybe you should be trying to actually read my posts next time, since most of my recent stuff has been praising him and defending him.

Before I was simply stating my opinion that he will just be an average player. If you guys want to take that as "putting him down", even though getting any games as a 4th round pick is impressive, then go ahead. Just because I don't think he becomes a ppg player certinaly doesn't mean I think hes a bust.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Weird, maybe you should be trying to actually read my posts next time, since most of my recent stuff has been praising him and defending him.

Before I was simply stating my opinion that he will just be an average player. If you guys want to take that as "putting him down", even though getting any games as a 4th round pick is impressive, then go ahead. Just because I don't think he becomes a ppg player certinaly doesn't mean I think hes a bust.
When have you defended him?

When is the Parade

Grand Marshall
Nov 30, 2008
104th Avenue NW
Gaudreau needs some linemates with a little more finish. Some of the passes he's made have surprised the guys he's playing with. If they were prepared for theses passes they would have been highlight reel goals and there would be a lot more talk about the kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad