LW Colby Barlow - Owen Sound Attack, OHL (2023, 18th, WPG)

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
It's a good shot but like if we compare it to someone like Caufield, there's a clear difference there and Caufield is able to shoot in different ways, Barlow really is a wrist shot scorer.. his one-timer scores at the OHL but it isn't really devastating.

If you don't have a high end shot like that, then your goal scoring will come from putting yourself in good positions, which he does, but then there's creating your own shot which is where I think Barlow will have the biggest trouble scaling. His hands are okay, his skating in a straight line is good, but his edge work and agility is pretty pedestrian.

How does Barlow create a shot, in locations to score, at the next level? Which is why I say complementary goal scorer, he will need good line-mates to do that.

You won't go wrong with a 20-25 goal scorer who will provide surplus value on the PK and add straight line speed to a line, but it's not a top 10 pick to me.
I’ve seen him really improve throughout the season, in these areas. He was a Mike Hoffman-esque opportunistic sniper early on (I’m speaking exclusively about the offensive zone when it comes to how they set up for a shot). I think hit shot has improved, become more versatile, deceptive and effective. I think he’s added more to his bag in terms how he gets it off and also in terms of what he does in the offensive zone. Bumper on the PP as an example. Carrying the puck more, too.

I think much of the positive development we’ve seen from him this season (and there’s been a lot) is him rounding out many of those areas where his offense (specifically his shot and how he uses it) and becoming a much more versatile threat.

Kase

May 1, 2016
From what I've seen so far his potential is Neal type goal scorer, who relies on great positioning and scoring touch. On top of these his strengths are skating, work ethic, play away from the puck and strength so if his goal scoring doesn't translate well, he could still be btm 6 energy forward with some depth scoring.

His play with the puck whenever he has to hold it for more than a second is pretty damn limited and just not that good, which is the reason that I would be probably looking elsewhere with a top 15 pick.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
I think he’s become a plus-skater and a much better stick handler as this season has progressed. It’s extremely hard to protect the puck and go inside, to the net, and get a shot off mid-stride, with a guy on you. And he does it a lot. That’s coming with progress to his feet and his puck handling and his overall strength.

I also believe his shot is improved quite a bit. His catch and release, the way it’s coming off of his stick and how he’s added a mid-stride wrister. He was all about hanging out in and ripping one timers. That and mop up.

But he’s really bringing some deceptive shot selections to the table these days. And he’s deadly as the bumper on the PP, too. Handling in a hurry, turning and firing.

There was a lot of Hoffman in there. But there’s a lot more Horvat, now.

And I’m talking offense only. He’s also very good defensively, great compete, and kills penalties well. Not like a Hoffman, at all.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Personally I see him going in that 15-20 range but wouldn’t at all be surprised if a team rolled the dice on him anywhere from 11 on.

Kase

May 1, 2016
How many players do people think have a better shot/release in this draft? It can't be many.
He has a great shot, true. But I haven't really seen the ability to create scoring chances for himself, at least at a level that I feel would translate well to the NHL. But if he can continue scoring through positioning, he could end up as a Neal type goal scorer.

At this point I actually prefer Rehkopf over Barlow. Imo his shot is as good if not even better and he has shown better ability to carry and challenge defenders with the puck. Even tho Rehkopf's passing and general play with the puck on 5v5 at the moment is somewhat of a question mark and something he needs to improve, I think it's still better than Barlow's. Also on PP Rehkopf's level of confidence and comfortability with the puck and his passing, whether it's to the point, across the ice or on the slot, is very high, which is why I'm kinda hoping some of that would eventually translate to 5v5 also. This is again something I haven't really seen from Barlow (haven't watched as closely either). On the other hand Barlow hasn't shown the same kind of inconsistencies with his all around 5v5 play as Rehkopf. Although this has been more visible with the Kitcheners, outside of them I think he has been consistently great.

This probably isn't the right place to go further on my tangent on Rehkopf, so I'm going to leave it at that.

Last edited:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Is Ohgren a good comp?Good but not great skater, good but not great shot, good but not great size and strength.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Personally I see him going in that 15-20 range but wouldn’t at all be surprised if a team rolled the dice on him anywhere from 11 on.
I think I’m almost any draft, a player with his profile, is a sure fire 5-10th overall pick. His pro-style game, intangibles, size, skating, and goal scoring prowess are almost never found outside of the top ten. If you isolate by goal scoring alone, he’s got top five production for sure. His assists totals, and overall points are lower. But his size and mobility combo, his complete, pro style game, and intangibles more than make up for that.

Reactions: arhockey

Kase

May 1, 2016
Is Ohgren a good comp?Good but not great skater, good but not great shot, good but not great size and strength.
Imo Öhgren has much higher on-puck hockey IQ. He is more capable and versatile with the puck.

Barlow is get puck, shoot puck, and if not in shooting position and has a lot of open ice, skate puck and shoot puck. The problem with him comes when he isn't in a shooting position and doesn't have open ice to skate to.

But this is just my opinion on him, and a very simplistic one, and not an objective fact.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
On one hand, I’m wary of guys like Barlow because it doesn’t seem like he’s got a huge potential for growth and is more of a finished product already. But I said the same thing about Timo Meier, whom I hated ant 9th in 2015, and he developed into a legitimate play-driving star. So really it’s the onus on the scouts to determine if he has the ability to take those next steps.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
For what it's worth he finished 2nd in the 30M forward skate at the testing at the top prospects game.

I'm also not sure why you feel he has a good but not great shot.

Reactions: arhockey

TopC0rner

Feb 21, 2018
I get that the offense is in the Hoffman/Neal realm (shot, straight line speed, not elite vision)…but the compete and defensive awareness and PK ability don’t exactly fit that paradigm.
I think he's being sold a bit short.

He's not flashy and imo his skating ability could be improved in terms of agility and lateral movement.

His passing game is fine, he can spot teammates and make passes in traffic. It's just that when you have a shot like his, it's fine to decide to shoot instead of passing.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
So, would Holtz be a good comp?

I find Holtz was more about the shot with better hands, more of a typical goal scorer as far the eye test.

Barlow has a good shot but his ability to score goals does not seem intrinsically tied to it, I still can't get a good read on him to this day (regarding how he's able to be so consistent on this front). Part of me wants nothing to do with him with the Habs picks (as they are right now), but I sometimes wonder if Barlow's scoring ability more easily transfers to the NHL and I am underrating his instincts/positioning. Going to have to think about this one.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I find Holtz was more about the shot with better hands, more of a typical goal scorer as far the eye test.

Barlow has a good shot but his ability to score goals does not seem intrinsically tied to it, I still can't get a good read on him to this day (regarding how he's able to be so consistent on this front). Part of me wants nothing to do with him with the Habs picks (as they are right now), but I sometimes wonder if Barlow's scoring ability more easily transfers to the NHL and I am underrating his instincts/positioning. Going to have to think about this one.
Maybe one of thos Farabee/Wahlstrom goal scorers? He seems to be the sort of player that I would have trouble picking top 10 in a loaded forward draft like this one.

Quinn?

Kase

May 1, 2016
Maybe one of thos Farabee/Wahlstrom goal scorers? He seems to be the sort of player that I would have trouble picking top 10 in a loaded forward draft like this one.

Quinn?
I don't really have the time to watch NHL anymore, and all hockey I watch nowadays is draft year prospects related, so I might not be the most reliable source when it comes to NHL comparables, but I'll try to do so anyway...

High end: maybe Meier type of impact, or Neal but better with out the puck.

Low end: Virtanen, Puljujärvi. ie great physical tools and a hard shot, but lacks smarts to make any meaningful impact.

Reactions: 57special

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't really have the time to watch NHL anymore, and all hockey I watch nowadays is draft year prospects related, so I might not be the most reliable source when it comes to NHL comparables, but I'll try to do so anyway...

Low end: Virtanen, Puljujärvi. ie great physical tools and a hard shot, but lacks smarts to make any meaningful impact.
Ok, didn’t know his tools were so good. Thought his size was average’ish.

Kase

May 1, 2016
Ok, didn’t know his tools were so good. Thought his size was average’ish.
Maybe great is over selling it, but he is strong 6'1" and 190 lbs 18 yo and very strong straight line skater. Great physical tools for a 18 yo in a junior league and strength and skating (straight line) probably are still going to be above average in NHL once he gets there.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
On one hand, I’m wary of guys like Barlow because it doesn’t seem like he’s got a huge potential for growth and is more of a finished product already. But I said the same thing about Timo Meier, whom I hated ant 9th in 2015, and he developed into a legitimate play-driving star. So really it’s the onus on the scouts to determine if he has the ability to take those next steps.

This "finished product" narrative is hilarious....it is entirely based on his facial hair lol.

The kid improved his speed, shot, positioning, playmaking and added 32 points this year but based on absolutely nothing he has somehow plateaued? I think he has the potential to make his naysayers look silly and he may not take very long to do it either.

Larmer83

I'm taking the high road moving forward.
May 13, 2018
Lakewood, CO
This "finished product" narrative is hilarious....it is entirely based on his facial hair lol.

The kid improved his speed, shot, positioning, playmaking and added 32 points this year but based on absolutely nothing he has somehow plateaued? I think he has the potential to make his naysayers look silly and he may not take very long to do it either.
A razor and some shaving cream would move him up several slots on some draft boards.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack

Interesting. I’d say smarts are his #1 strength.

Kase

May 1, 2016
Interesting. I’d say smarts are his #1 strength.
Off the puck, I could agree with that as I think he does great job at positional scoring. With the puck, I don't think so.

Or maybe I really need to watch him more closely. I've already kinda written him off as a target, but that's mainly because I'm hoping there are going to be prospects available in his draft range that I like way more (Simashev mainly).

Last edited:
Reactions: Realgud

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
Owen Sound was eliminated tonight.

Safe to assume Barlow will be at the U-18 and that will be an interesting evaluation opportunity against the elite of other countries in his age group.
He will probably play, but he was noticeably injured in the playoffs after blocking a shot with his hand late in the regular season, was slashed in the hands in game three, and then knocked out of game four with a charge on his injured side, and didn't come back.

Maybe a bit of time to heal up, but wouldn't be surprised if he has a fracture or something really bad in his hand.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad