LW Colby Barlow - Owen Sound Attack, OHL (2023, 18th, WPG)

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
After Sting got all of those star players to go all in. Ty Voit's production has plummeted
there are now 10+ players who can win the OHL scoring title this season
and Colby Barlow is one of the strongest candidates.

Barlow now leads the entire OHL in goals, just 4 goals shy of 40, in just 42 games.
He is just 4 points behind Voit and 1st place.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Underrated prospect in this draft. I really like his game, I really think that he worth a top 10 pick. I will not mad if Habs pick him at 9-10 range. At 6-8 range that should be Smith, Dvorsky and Yager. But Barlow or Moore with 9-10 pick, thats solid.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
May I ask why?

Number 1, I just think there's 10 better prospects than him easily.

Bedard
Carlsson
Michkov
Fantilli

A literal no debate.

It's pretty clear the next group he's not better than either
Benson
Smith

So we are 6 names deep.

Then when I look at the other names and I just don't see how we could put a physically mature Barlow, who's a good finisher at the OHL level but isn't exactly displaying Cole Caufield levels of finishing ability, and doesn't have much of a playmaking game, ahead of these other players:

Andrew Cristall
Eduard Sale
Yager
Dvorsky

And then you have Reinbacher and a top 4 RHD defenseman is definitely more valuable than Barlow.

I don't think you could put Barlow ahead of Moore and especially Leonard.

This draft is just too deep and too good to burn a top 10 pick on a guy that looks like a middle 6 forward who scores 20-25 goals and is a good penalty killer. I'm finding a hard time to find a skill other than his shot (which again isn't super high end) which is going to help him be a consistent point producer at the NHL level.

Grinner

May 31, 2022
Number 1, I just think there's 10 better prospects than him easily.

Bedard
Carlsson
Michkov
Fantilli

A literal no debate.

It's pretty clear the next group he's not better than either
Benson
Smith

So we are 6 names deep.

Then when I look at the other names and I just don't see how we could put a physically mature Barlow, who's a good finisher at the OHL level but isn't exactly displaying Cole Caufield levels of finishing ability, and doesn't have much of a playmaking game, ahead of these other players:

Andrew Cristall
Eduard Sale
Yager
Dvorsky

And then you have Reinbacher and a top 4 RHD defenseman is definitely more valuable than Barlow.

I don't think you could put Barlow ahead of Moore and especially Leonard.

This draft is just too deep and too good to burn a top 10 pick on a guy that looks like a middle 6 forward who scores 20-25 goals and is a good penalty killer. I'm finding a hard time to find a skill other than his shot (which again isn't super high end) which is going to help him be a consistent point producer at the NHL level.
I appreciate your break down

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

His best attribute may be his hockey IQ, which I don't see a mention of in your post.

There's a reason Barlow has close to a goal per game right now. He generally makes good decisions and knows where to go on the ice to score goals. I find his playmaking pretty solid too. His average puckhandling can get in the way sometimes but he generally recognizes when passing the puck is the best option, which is a function of his good hockey sense. This is a kid who is excellent around the net and should have no problem scoring goals in the NHL, and if he plays shotgun beside talented playmakers he could end up outproducing more skilled players at the NHL level.

I think people may be underrating him for the same reason Tkachuk and Landeskog got underrated by a lot of fans on this site. Doubtful he ends up going top 4 like those two, but it's worth pointing out his production is significantly better than both of them at the same age. Don't see why he can't improve the other parts of his game like those two did on route to becoming legit top line forwards.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
was a while since Barlow scored 2 goals in 1 game, a month to be exact.
3 goals in his last 10 games prior to his 2 goal night.
scored his 40th and 41st goals (71 points)

Reactions: bsu

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
I really like this kid, and I agree with this completely; Fool me once...
I think people may be underrating him for the same reason Tkachuk and Landeskog got underrated by a lot of fans on this site.

Just b/c they don't flash elite skill doesn't mean they don't have good upside, he's scoring at this rate for a reason and its not just his release but also his skating, offensive IQ & strength on the puck.

Not flashy but will be a really good pro. Neal is an interesting comp, also thinking Kreider as a style comp. Not a driver but could be a high end complimentary winger you can win with. Worst case a high floor as a middle 6 W that can score & PK.

Top 15 pick for sure & could see him sneaking into the top 10 if a team really likes him.

Reactions: PensFan101 and JT3

JT3

May 27, 2013
I really like this kid, and I agree with this completely; Fool me once...

Just b/c they don't flash elite skill doesn't mean they don't have good upside, he's scoring at this rate for a reason and its not just his release but also his skating, offensive IQ & strength on the puck.

Not flashy but will be a really good pro. Neal is an interesting comp, also thinking Kreider as a style comp. Not a driver but could be a high end complimentary winger you can win with. Worst case a high floor as a middle 6 W that can score & PK.

Top 15 pick for sure & could see him sneaking into the top 10 if a team really likes him.
100% agree. I have seen a lot of people talking about his production being due to his physical maturity. Yes, he is physically mature, but this isn't the case of a 6'3 215lb guy with poor puck skills and skating bulldozing over kids.

We're talking about a 17yo who is 6'1 185ish with great skating, a wicked shot, good two way play and smarts and boatloads of tenacity. That stuff doesn't just disappear when you move up a level, and he still has plenty of room for growth too. He can still pack a lot of meat on that frame and might grow another inch yet, who knows. I really see a 30-30 Hyman, Landeskog, Kreider esque player. He's probably fair value in the 8-10 range and anybody getting him after that should be pretty happy.

LePerilsofPerreault

Mar 20, 2022
Tryna get away, man
After Bedard, Michkov, Fantilli, Carlsson, Smith, and Benson, I would probably pick Captain Colby. But I've been interested in him all season. I originally wanted the Ducks to trade up into the teens to get him. Can be an all situations 30+ goal scorer for sure.

Reactions: montreal

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
After Bedard, Michkov, Fantilli, Carlsson, Smith, and Benson, I would probably pick Captain Colby. But I've been interested in him all season. I originally wanted the Ducks to trade up into the teens to get him. Can be an all situations 30+ goal scorer for sure.
You already have that guy in McT. Let the other teams get 1 too!

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
100% agree. I have seen a lot of people talking about his production being due to his physical maturity. Yes, he is physically mature, but this isn't the case of a 6'3 215lb guy with poor puck skills and skating bulldozing over kids.

We're talking about a 17yo who is 6'1 185ish with great skating, a wicked shot, good two way play and smarts and boatloads of tenacity. That stuff doesn't just disappear when you move up a level, and he still has plenty of room for growth too. He can still pack a lot of meat on that frame and might grow another inch yet, who knows. I really see a 30-30 Hyman, Landeskog, Kreider esque player. He's probably fair value in the 8-10 range and anybody getting him after that should be pretty happy.

It runs both ways.

A 6'3 bull in junior can still be a bull in the NHL. A 6'1 bull in junior might just be average physically in the NHL. I think Barlow has other calling cards that can sell for him, size isn't anything notable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad