LW Colby Barlow - Owen Sound Attack, OHL (2023, 18th, WPG)

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
He is definitely one of those player that “mature” earlier than his peers.

That’ll limit his upside over others in the draft but he is a hell of a player.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Really starting to fall in love with this kids game. I’d take him over Ritchie personally even though Ritchie’s “peak” upside is going to rate higher. I can’t believe Scouch has him ranked 59th…I get that different scouts will have different lists but I have literally no idea what he’s watching to have him ranked that low.

To me Barlow and Danielson (also his team’s captain) are among the most bulletproof prospects in this loaded draft. Both have size, speed, tenacity on the puck and intangibles through the roof. Can’t see either dropping past the middle of round one.

vildurson

Jun 2, 2021
I like how Barlow can get his shot going but I am not buying other sides of his game. His playmaking and decision making whenever he does something else than shoot still leaves lot of questions to me. He can get his shot off quite well from wicked angles and positions but that's pretty much everything he has to my eyes so far. I might need to see more of his game to understand him.

So far I am more comfortable having him in late first than earlier.

I realize I am on the minority with this opinion but that's why this is kinda fun.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I like how Barlow can get his shot going but I am not buying other sides of his game. His playmaking and decision making whenever he does something else than shoot still leaves lot of questions to me. He can get his shot off quite well from wicked angles and positions but that's pretty much everything he has to my eyes so far. I might need to see more of his game to understand him.

I realize I am on the minority with this opinion but that's why this is kinda fun.

Nah, I agree with you.. he's a really good shooter and there's certainly some value in him on the PK, he's got good energy and is good on the forecheck but I don't love the rest of his game either and he looks like hes 28 years old. I don't know how much more growth is left in him.

Looks like a middle 6 20 goal guy to me.

vildurson

Jun 2, 2021
Nah, I agree with you.. he's a really good shooter and there's certainly some value in him on the PK, he's got good energy and is good on the forecheck but I don't love the rest of his game either and he looks like hes 28 years old. I don't know how much more growth is left in him.

Looks like a middle 6 20 goal guy to me.
That's good point too. He looks like he is already matured physiclally. Dunno if that's really a negative though.

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound

His defensive game is already pretty strong for his age, but yes definitely catch him live if you haven't - he's got good top end speed and plays with a cleverness, especially in finding goal scoring spots, that backs up the production he's had lately.

I don't think his physical maturity should be a knock against him. He obviously uses that to his advantage at the junior level, but lots of top prospects every year are physically mature or ahead of the curve.

He's easily a Top 5 talent that we've ever had in Owen Sound and all of the other have gone on to at least play in the NHL (Bobby Ryan, Nick Suzuki, Joey Hishon). Barlow might be better at 17 than all of them.

Even if he topped out as a middle six winger, that's still a good use of a mid-first round pick, and his shot and defensive game suggests he should slot somewhere into an NHL lineup.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
His defensive game is already pretty strong for his age, but yes definitely catch him live if you haven't - he's got good top end speed and plays with a cleverness, especially in finding goal scoring spots, that backs up the production he's had lately.

I don't think his physical maturity should be a knock against him. He obviously uses that to his advantage at the junior level, but lots of top prospects every year are physically mature or ahead of the curve.

He's easily a Top 5 talent that we've ever had in Owen Sound and all of the other have gone on to at least play in the NHL (Bobby Ryan, Nick Suzuki, Joey Hishon). Barlow might be better at 17 than all of them.

Even if he topped out as a middle six winger, that's still a good use of a mid-first round pick, and his shot and defensive game suggests he should slot somewhere into an NHL lineup.
Me and my fellow attack fan buddy were talking about this. He is certainly the best prospect we’ve had since Suzuki and he might even be better.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
That's good point too. He looks like he is already matured physiclally. Dunno if that's really a negative though.
He‘s definitely more developed physically than his peers - He is safer than alot of the kids around him. He might be this years Lawson Crouse, I don’t know.

Someone said it earlier in the thread that he is this years Rutger McGroarty and I totally agree with that.

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020

While he's certainly more of a finisher than a playmaker there's definitely a lot more that goes into his game then just shooting the puck a lot. His motor on and off the puck is absolutely fantastic, it's a big reason why he's able to get so many shots on goal is that he's always looking to find an opening in the defense. He's also a very good skater for a player of his size and playstyle, couple that with his slick hands and ability to use his size effectively and it makes him a tough player to contain because he has so many ways to beat you on and off the puck.

Reactions: Muffinalt

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
Another 2 goals and assist. Reminds me a lot of Timo Meier. Could be develop into a legitimate first line forward who puts up 35 goals and 70ish points on day.

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
Barlow's game keeps trending up and up this season, and with a 10 game goal streak and an 8 game goal streak still ongoing, he's bringing a level of consistency in production that I've never seen in Owen Sound before. He's scoring lots of different ways and often by going to the crease and the other tough areas on the ice.

His play has been so consistently good lately that he's masking a lot of the issues with the rest of the team. He's really carrying them and is undoubtedly the best player on the team.

Certainly no shame in being the third best goal scorer available in this draft, and I think with continued development of his skating, he could be in that tier of players who break camp with their NHL team at 19.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad