LW Colby Barlow - Owen Sound Attack, OHL (2023, 18th, WPG)

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Anybody else high on this kid?

Some of the takes here are brutal. I’ve watched him play throughout the year and every game he’s played he’s always running engine.

NHL shot, has the speed, physicality, and soft hands around the net. He plays in all situations, and plays a sound game defensively. He’s also a relentless forechecker and is great at utilizing his combination of speed and strength on the rush.

He’s a deadly transitional player due to his explosiveness and although his all around skating does need work, he’s an off the rush threat.

He reminds me more of a JT Miller/Bobby Ryan type player. He needs to work on using his linemates more and perhaps being less selfish, but he’s got a lot of raw talent.

I’d take him over Sale, Dvorsky, Cristall, and Moore.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

Some of the takes here are brutal. I’ve watched him play throughout the year and every game he’s played he’s always running engine.

NHL shot, has the speed, physicality, and soft hands around the net. He plays in all situations, and plays a sound game defensively. He’s also a relentless forechecker and is great at utilizing his combination of speed and strength on the rush.

He’s a deadly transitional player due to his explosiveness and although his all around skating does need work, he’s an off the rush threat.

He reminds me more of a JT Miller/Bobby Ryan type player. He needs to work on using his linemates more and perhaps being less selfish, but he’s got a lot of raw talent.

I'm lower than the consensus on him.

I think his shot is overrated and I don't see really much else offensively that he's going to offer.. so his assist totals are going to be low. I see him as a middle 6 complementary scorer who plays the PK.

Good player, not a top 10 pick.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015

I'm not that high on him (I have the guys you named above him) but he'd be great value in the teens.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon

That's my assessment too.

Absolute puck hound, always churning the legs and that shot is special. Not sure if I'll have him higher than Cristall, but it's minor preferences. There is a huge cluster of very talented players indeed. What do you need more? Playmaker or finisher?

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Barlow, born February 14th, 2005 in Orillia, Ontario, is a left winger for the Owen Sound Attack of the OHL. The 18-year-old forward stands at 6’1” and 187 pounds, possessing a solid frame. Over the last two seasons, Barlow’s goal-scoring has been on full display with the Attack. In total, he has scored 76 goals in 118 OHL games. This season, Barlow has potted 46 goals and 33 assists for 79 points in 59 regular season games. The Attack lost in a four-game sweep to the London Knights in the very first round. Barlow had three goals in the four-game series.

With the goal-scoring, plus the added bonus of wearing the “C” on his jersey, Barlow has been ranked between seventh and 32nd by various analysts and sites, but largely lands in the seventh to 15th range. He has been ranked seventh by Craig Button, eighth by The Hockey News and Bob McKenzie, ninth by SportsNet, 10th by Daily Faceoff, 11th by Recruit Scouting and Draft Prospects Hockey, 15th by McKeen’s Hockey, 16th by Elite Prospects and FCHockey, 22nd by DobberProspects, and 32nd by Smaht Scouting.

Reactions: hn777 and arhockey

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005

I don’t think he goes ahead of Dvorsky for sure, possibly Moore too, but I wouldn’t be shocked at all, if Detroit takes him at 9th.

I’m not big on taking wingers in the Top 10 but they need a player like him in their system. I guarantee he doesn’t slide to 18, as they would take him at 17th without a doubt.

With the draft order now in place, you can’t start getting a clearer picture of where he goes. It’s going to be somewhere between 9th and 17th.

Reactions: hn777

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
I'm lower than the consensus on him.

I think his shot is overrated and I don't see really much else offensively that he's going to offer.. so his assist totals are going to be low. I see him as a middle 6 complementary scorer who plays the PK.

Good player, not a top 10 pick.
I hope scouts for teams picking 1-15 see it the same. Would love to see him drop to the Flames. I live in Owen Sound and watched hi play regularly. He's a good one.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
This guy going 18 is such a testament to the strength of this draft.

Like, he’s a guaranteed top-6 player. Maybe he won’t take the steps needed to become elite, but barring injuries it would be a shock if he’s not at least a 50+ point scorer for years. Wheels, intensity, constantly going to the dirty areas, strong hands. Oh, and that elite shot.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010

Honestly, our PP could benefit from someone being more selfish. Cuts down on the relentless passing.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I didn't really think he would have been a guy that would have been available at 18, so it's nice to pick him up. In addition to the comments on his hockey skills, it sounds like he's a huge character guy, hard worker, was the youngest team captain in Owen history, and was a scholastic player award winner as well. Not sure if the Jets actually put stock in the scholastic award or it's just worked out that way, but they've drafted a bunch.

HockeyProspect.com also had him at 6, and I'm usually a big fan of their rankings so it's nice to see as well.

It would be nice if he makes the World Junior team this upcoming year as it's nice to have a Canadian prospect to cheer for again.

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
Barlow at 18 is good value, earlier some had him between 5 and 10 and I thought that didn't make any sense

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
I don’t think he goes ahead of Dvorsky for sure, possibly Moore too, but I wouldn’t be shocked at all, if Detroit takes him at 9th.

I’m not big on taking wingers in the Top 10 but they need a player like him in their system. I guarantee he doesn’t slide to 18, as they would take him at 17th without a doubt.

With the draft order now in place, you can’t start getting a clearer picture of where he goes. It’s going to be somewhere between 9th and 17th.
18th!!! Guarantee missed by one. :thumbu:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad