Friedman: Luke Glendening to Toronto “Very Real”

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
If we could do that, then great. But getting a useful 4C while unloading Martin (who isn't and won't be playing) is worth a 2nd to me....same as Boyle last season.

And they have an extra 2nd from the polak trade. If this satisfies babcock's need for a 4C and they get martin off the books and blocking better players, it's worth it pending no retention

Reactions: Liferleafer

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
Babcock doesnt use 4th line against top line. That would be crazy, it's usually kadri or straight up power v power. defensive face off, pk and protecting leads yeah that I could see. There is no way he would use this guy against other teams top line. 20 mins ice time for the 4th line not gonna happen.
Babcock used LG against Tampa's first line for pretty much an entire playoff series.

KDOTO

Feb 17, 2018
TDOTO
Maybe he wants him so he can use him against other teams 1st line? He's used Glenny as a top line shut down role before, no reason to think he won't again. Fact is we just don't know.
I wouldn't think so, right now he is grooming Mathews into that. Playing him against other top lines to prepare him to do that every night. It was kadri last year and now it's Mathews and if need be kadri goes back in to relieve him. I don't think he would change his development of mathews for glendening.

If he is brought in, it Would be to stabilize the center spot on the pk and the fourth line. Moore just doesn't do enough for Babcock liking. Glendening role like I said would be to protect leads, penalty kill, take dzone face off and maybe the occasional shutdown duties.

Leafs are thinking long term and long term success is developing Mathews into the center that can play against other top lines and win the match up most nights.

KDOTO

Feb 17, 2018
TDOTO
Babcock used LG against Tampa's first line for pretty much an entire playoff series.
Yeah but he didn't have a Mathews to develop then. Mathews is gonna be that All situation center for us. That's why he is used against top lines almost all this year. Leafs won't be changing their long term plan for glendenning. If he is brought in it would be to do the other stuff i mention in my other replys and the occasional shut down duties. I'm not saying leafs aint looking at him, just saying his usage won't be against the top line of other teams.

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
Yeah but he didn't have a Mathews to develop then. Mathews is gonna be that All situation center for us. That's why he is used against top lines almost all this year. Leafs won't be changing their long term plan for glendenning. If he is brought in it would be to do the other stuff i mention in my other replys and the occasional shut down duties. I'm not saying leafs aint looking at him, just saying his usage won't be against the top line of other teams.

Yeah, Matthews development makes things a bit different for sure.

Not like Detroit didn't have a world class two way center when this was happening though.

KDOTO

Feb 17, 2018
TDOTO
Yeah, Matthews development makes things a bit different for sure.

Not like Detroit didn't have a world class two way center when this was happening though.
I know but pavel was already that. Mathews not there yet. Still learning. He is good don't get me wrong but I think they want him to be amongst the top like Datz was.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
This is pretty much what I'm thinking if a trade goes down. If Leafs have to send a player back, I cannot see it being a winger, otherwise we're waiving someone to call up Turgeon or whoever to fill in Glendenning's spot. Bertuzzi's our only forward that doesn't need waivers. I'd rather keep him up.

In a trade like this, the Wings would have no problem waiving a Moore or Martin. Dont think Bertuzzi is going anywhere anytime soon unless he somehow falls off. He's a sneaky, sneaky young player.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Friedman on his 31 Thoughts podcast says Glendening to the Leafs is “very real” and he won’t be surprised to see that deal happen.

Says he expects some sort of contract and draft pick to go the other way. Soshnikov once was offered he believed before going to STL.

Mentioned Leafs and Wings still have a couple rounds to go before agreeing on a draft pick

This seems like a pointless trade. The upgrade from Dominic Moore is minimal at best. The Leafs should be acquiring defensemen, ideally two of them and not wasting any time on a fourth line center. This is a waste of assets acquiring Glendening.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
This seems like a pointless trade. The upgrade from Dominic Moore is minimal at best. The Leafs should be acquiring defensemen, ideally two of them and not wasting any time on a fourth line center. This is a waste of assets acquiring Glendening.
While i essentially agree, if we can unload Martin and move only a pick...i would consider it.

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
Lol, I love how these insiders use their trade jargon to sell readers on their blog articles. "Very Real" "On The Move" "In Play" "Making a Splash" etc. Am I missing any others?

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
This is pretty much what I'm thinking if a trade goes down. If Leafs have to send a player back, I cannot see it being a winger, otherwise we're waiving someone to call up Turgeon or whoever to fill in Glendenning's spot. Bertuzzi's our only forward that doesn't need waivers. I'd rather keep him up.

Actually, Booth can still go down within the next 2-3 days if needed.

As far as filling Glendenings spot, they don't exactly need to re-call anyone. Helm can take the 4C spot, or AA if they want to torture the fanbase.

In a trade like this, the Wings would have no problem waiving a Moore or Martin. Dont think Bertuzzi is going anywhere anytime soon unless he somehow falls off. He's a sneaky, sneaky young player.

I doubt the Wings would waive either. Moore could probably be moved for a late pick to a team looking for C depth, and I doubt they pick up Martin with the intent of burying his contract.

As a Wings fan, I'd be OK with Martin if the Leafs retain some of his cap hit or there's a nice + attached to incentivize taking on that contract.

WingNut

Jun 21, 2016
Looks like the deal will include Kasperi Kapanen going to DET! That would be a HUGE get for the Wings!

Reactions: Weiss1604

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
I’d really rather the Leafs didn’t go after Glendening but clearly I’m not the GM otherwise I wouldn’t be posting here.

He is a good 4th line center but I’m not a fan of the contract. Too much for too long. Locking yourself into Glendening for another 3 years blocks your ability to call up and see what you have in some younger players.
I’m also worried about giving Babs one of his pets that he would over use. Especially with the 3rd line center spot opening up in the summer.

That said he is a decent player so it wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world just not the direction I want the team to go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad