Luck is a skill

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Bad bounces, bad puck luck, hitting the post, etc. are infuriating yes. However, I personally feel luck is absolutely a skill in ice hockey. Your positioning, angles, where you are on the ice all matter. Yes of course, there are plenty of moments of worse teams winning the game which one can attribute to luck. But overall the team that gets the most luck tend to be the top teams for a reason

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
Bad bounces, bad puck luck, hitting the post, etc. are infuriating yes. However, I personally feel luck is absolutely a skill in ice hockey. Your positioning, angles, where you are on the ice all matter. Yes of course, there are plenty of moments of worse teams winning the game which one can attribute to luck. But overall the team that gets the most luck tend to be the top teams for a reason
Yea, good post. I agree with this.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
You can put yourself in position to improve your chances of good luck. You're more likely to win the lottery if you buy lottery tickets instead of randomly hoping you find a ticket on the street.

Luck itself isn't a skill. The skill is managing the circumstances affecting the luck, good or bad.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Well yes I think it's possible to do all the right things in hockey and still lose and vice versa. But teams that inherently play well will get more lucky bounces for example.
Kind of agree, but I think you are using the wrong terminology.

If you outshoot your opponents almost every game they have less chances than you to get a lucky break.

I wouldn't say doing the right things inherently improves a team's luck, it just gives a team more ability to mitigate bad luck.

You could say the team that outplays the other team gets 15 coin flips compared to 10. They will get Heads more often just by virtue of having more chances.

I would say good teams improve their probability of getting good outcomes, but they wouldn't improve their luck.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
To be fair luck "doesn't exist". It's just a word we use when the factors determining the outcome of a situation are too numerous to list.
Yes, words by definition are another group of words.

I'd get tired if I had to say "may the factors determining the outcome be favorable and too numerous to list" instead of "good luck."

MartinBe

Dec 1, 2021
Ingemar Stenmark (arguably the greatest Swedish athletes ever) had a fun quote regarding this: "I don´t know anything about luck, just that the more I workout, the more luck I get". (Probably sounds better in Swedish but anyways).

Reactions: Jaska and Tollak

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
You have to put in the work to succeed. The thought that there's a lot of luck involved implies that you don't need to work as hard to succeed. I never was a fan of that thought process.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Niklas Hagman really was unlucky throughout his career when it came to scoring goals. I bet he holds records in posts and crossbars.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don

Luck isn't a skill. It's a result. Luck is predicated on the law of averages.

As such top teams maximize their chances by innately being better. If you out-shoot an opponent 30 to 10, the law of averages will be on your side to score a lucky goal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Silky Johnson

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
I do think there are players that are skilled at things that some might perceive as lucky. For example, to the untrained eye, Joe Pavelski tipping a puck might appear lucky

OrangePMD

Feb 2, 2021
Finland
Niklas Hagman really was unlucky throughout his career when it came to scoring goals. I bet he holds records in posts and crossbars.
He played most of his career before NHL started tracking posts and crossbars (09-10 season), so no way to tell for sure. But officially he has 4 posts and 3 crossbars in 224 tracked games.

The all-time leader has 114 posts and 20 crossbars in 1102 games.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
2959684-screen%20shot%202015-11-02%20at%201.52.40%20pm.jpg

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
He played most of his career before NHL started tracking posts and crossbars (09-10 season), so no way to tell for sure. But officially he has 4 posts and 3 crossbars in 224 tracked games.

The all-time leader has 114 posts and 20 crossbars in 1102 games.
Right about the time he started turning it around:D in Florida it was getting weird.

Reactions: OrangePMD

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Hockey sense, ability to understand angles, where the puck is likely to bounce based on where it hits, good positioning, etc. understanding these put you in positions to have good "luck" based on the statistics, but you created that luck by being intelligent. So yes luck is absolutely impacted by skill.

Reactions: cptjeff

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I agree with mostly everything but it’s always bothered me when fans talk about hitting posts as “unlucky” and if “the shot was an inch one way, we would have scored and won”

If it was an inch the other way you wouldn’t have even hit the post and missed the net entirely.

A post is just a missed scoring chance, there’s no luck involved

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad