Confirmed Trade: [WSH/CGY] Andrew Mangiapane for 2025 (Colorado) 2nd round pick

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
UFA are mostly overpaid retirement contracts
Especially day 1. I hope Conroy keeps his cheque book in his pocket day 1. If there's a guy who has his market evaporate and decides to do a 1 year deal to rehab his value then that's a guy I'm fine with signing. Otherwise look at what San Jose did with Detroit and see if that's out there.

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
Oof. Awful take. Good reliable middle six guy is exactly what he is. He's been top 5 in league wing defensive numbers for multiple seasons. He's good for around 40 points year in year out.
Lol he played on a line with Backlund and Coleman. I think anyone who plays with them would have those stats.

I liked Bread, but he is a solid 3rd liner. Nothing more.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Lol he played on a line with Backlund and Coleman. I think anyone who plays with them would have those stats.

I liked Bread, but he is a solid 3rd liner. Nothing more.
He played on a line with Backlund and Coleman yes. Because he's a good defensive player. His best season defensively was actually with Derek Ryan and Garnet Hathaway. His 2nd best defensive season was with Tkachuk and Backlund. He mostly didn't play with Backlund or Coleman in 2022-23.

bleachdrinker

Sep 7, 2022
Philadelphia

Attachments

• IMG_3341.jpeg
    IMG_3341.jpeg
    162.3 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: Bone Density

Nogatco Rd

Translator spent all my HF cash
Apr 3, 2021
Too many people in this thread think this is the same Mangiapane that got hot for three months and scored 35 goals. He isn’t good. He’s not a “good, reliable middle six guy”. He sucks. One of the most frustrating players I’ve seen play for the Flames in a long time. So happy he’s gone
Funny how the Caps players who were run out of town in Calgary seem to have some of their best games when they play the Flames.

I wonder if the trend continues next year?

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
I knew the Flames would trade him. He just isn't that good of a player, not worth his cap hit. He will never repeat his 37 goal season from 3 years ago.

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
This is essentially a 3rd round pick. Either we’re lining up an obnoxious tank next season or about to blow some cap space on July 1st

Probably not a bad year to start a full rebuild for the flames hopefully minus the obnoxious part.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Good haul for Calgary.

Mangiapane had one year where he scored above 30 goals(on a stacked Calgary team), but other than that he's scored at a low 20's rate his entire career.
He was scoring low 20s from the 3rd line from most of it I think ? That's what made him good I thought

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I'm genuinely confused by what Washington is doing. Are they just propping up Ovechkin's corpse to go for the record at the expense of literally everything else? They're not contenders, they're gaining nothing from 16th place, they're collecting meh players on expensive deals. What am I missing?
He's not a good passer

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I actually thought the caps were gonna come looking at Ullmark after the PLD trade. Either way they are having a nice start to the off season

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011
Great move by the Flames. Thought that to get a 2nd, Flames would have to retain.

With that being said, great trade for the caps too. Yeastmode is criminally underrated. He produces well 5 on 5. He is more physical than you expect for his size, and he doesn't get scared of anyone. Goes to the dirty areas, and is reliable in all zones. He just isn't a PP guy for some strange reason.

Focus on what he does 5 on 5, and you will love him. Unless he gets hurt, Washington can't lose this deal anyway, as he is likely to garner this value at the trade deadline if not more. This is a contract year, and i bet he produces, especially with a change of scenery.

Washington wins this trade because they get a pretty good goal scorer at even strength, who can also produce on a checking line. If he bombs for some strange reason, they can still probably flip him for another 2nd. I would bet he does well, and if Washington is out, they may get a higher return at the deadline.

Calgary wins because they get even more cap flexibility to sign some UFAs at the deadline for higher value/low term, and flip a guy with retention at the deadline. Maybe they act as intermediaries, or accept a couple of bad deals with sweeteners. There will be lots of options. The last thing I think they will do is blow their brains out signing UFA at big dollar deals with term.

Calgary is in a rebuild, but they are not interested in burning it down and tanking. Conroy wants to keep it somewhat competitive, which I infer it to be a bunch of 4-3 losses, not 10-2 demoralizing spankings. Calgary will be players in the UFA market with an eye to not being terrible, as well as weaponizing their cap space.

I think both teams win here. Good job.

Reactions: 43sfriends

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
Yesterday folks were saying Mangiapane wasn't worth a 2nd without full retention, today a 2nd is a disaster.

In reality a 2nd is fine, both teams should be happy, I'm happy with it from a Flames perspective. If Bread can bounce back it could be a good gamble for the Caps.

Reactions: BallardEra

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad