Lucas Raymond

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
60 points

He'll make his way to pp1 if the coaches are smart
He should absolutely be on PP1, like there shouldn't even be an argument against it, but as we saw last night, he's starting on PP2 yet again this season. I'm ok with him on the 2nd line IF he gets PP1 minutes, but starting the year it looks like he's line 2 and PP2.

I'm worried he won't get his minutes, thus seriously hurting his stats. He never PKs, and Lalonde refuses to put him on the ice late in games when we are leading, so I just don't know where he will get his minutes. If he's averaging like 14-15 minutes per game, and not given the chance on the top PP unit, we could be looking at a regression from last year's 45 points unfortunetely.

It's a bit of a catch 22 with Raymond. Coaches want more consistency and production, so they take him off the top line and top PP. Not entirely sure how the production will come when he gets 13 minutes per game, and doesn't get the PP minutes.

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
We have so many right shooting skaters on PP now. I think I counted 7 on PP1 and PP2 the other day.

better Red than Dead

Apr 23, 2021
I fully expect that the PP1 and 2’s will have different personnel during the season to give teams different looks, Raymond and others will get their fair share of ice time and looks, why people read into where he’s playing in pre season, and worse, assume it’s where he will be playing in April 24 are being ridiculous

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Raymond time will come. I like his role now at the 2nd line more, because he doesn't have to play over his head. Still not yet a top line player, but year after could be.

Also he can run 100% that 2nd PP now, against easier PK units.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
If he is as good as we will all hope he will be, he will be back on PP1 very soon. Nothing wrong with having a good player on PP2 if there is good chemistry with others on PP1. Not like our pp has been good in many recent years, so changing up the mix, could be a great thing.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Shoutout to Raymond here, he's been great and that's really encouraging to see following his sophomore slump. 20pts in 24 games now and it's no fluke. He's looking a lot more confident, poised, and engaged. Not to mention strong on his feet. He's really coming into his own and I think we may have a ppg winger for many years on our hands here. And hoping he learns a lot from Kane to help him keep improving.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Absolutely. I wasn't down with the lack of faith some people had in him in the hockey world especially after last season (or maybe I was just crazy lol). Injuries and inconsistencies but he did show some really impressive flashes and seemed like there would eventually be light at the end of the tunnel.

I feel like people forget how tough it is to be a productive young player in today's NHL. Like just statistically here, 57 points as a 19 year old kid in the NHL is pretty damn good. Took care of a big weakness is his game (strength) and is now showing consistent shift to shift play driving ability after not many games into the season, honestly. Age 21 now so many years ahead of #23 as our top line RW.

What a pick, glad we are starting to see we made the most of our only remotely recent top 5 draft pick :laugh:

Macoun

Feb 8, 2009
Absolutely. I wasn't down with the lack of faith some people had in him in the hockey world especially after last season (or maybe I was just crazy lol). Injuries and inconsistencies but he did show some really impressive flashes and seemed like there would eventually be light at the end of the tunnel.

I feel like people forget how tough it is to be a productive young player in today's NHL. Like just statistically here, 57 points as a 19 year old kid in the NHL is pretty damn good. Took care of a big weakness is his game (strength) and is now showing consistent shift to shift play driving ability after not many games into the season, honestly. Age 21 now so many years ahead of #23 as our top line RW.

What a pick, glad we are starting to see we made the most of our only remotely recent top 5 draft pick :laugh:
My favorite player right now. He’s so dynamic. Very happy to have him. It’s a shame Zadina didn’t turn out the same way.

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
Super impressed with Raymond's play this season. He kind of got off to a slower start too, only having 2 points in the first 5 games this season, but then has put up 18 pts in his last 19 games. almost PPG since that slow start. On pace for almost 70 points now! Quite the turnaround from last season. I'm going to be glad if he just hits 60 points this year. It would be a new career best and would be a nice turnaround after last season.

He's been transporting and holding onto the puck a lot more this season. driving play himself now. He looks so much better (stronger) on the puck and along the boards. The extra weight he gained doesn't seem to have slowed him down at all either.. if fact, he looks faster this season despite the weight gain. He's been great on the forecheck too. Creates turnovers and is a great passer.
And at only 21yo, he's still got room for more growth too. He's having a great season so far.

raymond23

lgrw
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Incredible player already. Beginning to look like the kid that scored a hat trick, including the ot winner, in the u18 gold medal game as an underager

wingfan

Jul 1, 2012
Raymond's ability to hold on to the puck under pressure and make a play in the offensive zone is night and day better than it's ever been. His vision is fantastic and he'd probably be well over a ppg right now if Debrincat was so snake bitten recently. There were a few just in the past few games that Raymond threaded a needle cross ice and Debrincat hit the outside of the net or the goalie made an incredible save. I really like the way he's been playing.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Super impressed with Raymond's play this season. He kind of got off to a slower start too, only having 2 points in the first 5 games this season, but then has put up 18 pts in his last 19 games. almost PPG since that slow start. On pace for almost 70 points now! Quite the turnaround from last season. I'm going to be glad if he just hits 60 points this year. It would be a new career best and would be a nice turnaround after last season.

He's been transporting and holding onto the puck a lot more this season. driving play himself now. He looks so much better (stronger) on the puck and along the boards. The extra weight he gained doesn't seem to have slowed him down at all either.. if fact, he looks faster this season despite the weight gain. He's been great on the forecheck too. Creates turnovers and is a great passer.
And at only 21yo, he's still got room for more growth too. He's having a great season so far.

Yep and honestly with the chances hes produced, he could have even more points, hes pretty much at the bare minimum I would expect given how hes played. He looks like a future 90 point player to me this season, cant wait to see what hes like at 25-26.

One thing people dont talk about is how many penalties he draws because hes so shifty. Hes top 5 in the league at drawing penalties at even strength

After making a similar comment on the Sprong one of these that was posted, I dare someone to try to explain one of these charts to me.
Hes tracking advanced stats and then using that rate what percentile of impact Raymond falls into. Without looking specificaly in what falls into "shooting" its hard to say exactly what thats telling you, but in penalties drawn, its saying Raymond draws more than 94% of the rest of the league

Reactions: Ricelund

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad