Lucas Raymond

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Ray now leads the Wings in scoring. No one this young has done so since Yzerman.

We'll see how the rest of the season plays out...
I think this year has shown that we may have a very special player on our hands. His compete level down the stretch has been fantastic to see and he has developed into a really solid all around player. Playmaker, shooter, physical and getting better and better defensively as the days go by.

I think Stevie will go short term on his contract but I wouldn't be upset to see him locked up for 8 either.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
On one hand he is scoring and playing decently, but should still be noted he has the worst plus/minus on the team. He does need to work on staying engaged in his own end, especially in games where he doesn't show up on the scoresheet. I don't think of him as lazy defensively, maybe more like not sure how to be good at it.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
On one hand he is scoring and playing decently, but should still be noted he has the worst plus/minus on the team. He does need to work on staying engaged in his own end, especially in games where he doesn't show up on the scoresheet. I don't think of him as lazy defensively, maybe more like not sure how to be good at it.
Should be noted he’s the youngest player on the team, and isn’t sheltered.

Reactions: wings95

OneMoreTry

Sep 26, 2021

As already mentioned, he's a youngster - and the line combinations/ roster construction we have, isn't ideal. Playing him with Larkin all the time would be best, because Larks is a two-way player..and then you would need a second two-way guy, best case a bigger, more physical forward (yes, the kind of player that the Wings have not managed to sign since.. forever.. ), to round out that line.. and then you probably give up less goals, when Ray is on the ice.

Plus, he'll continue to grow, in all areas, including defense. I'd be concerned (and not so positive about extending him long term) if he'd lazy, lacking effort, stuff like that. But the guy is feisty, doesn't back down, stays on the ice even after very hard hits.. so I guess you can grow him into (at least) a "solid" player on the defensive side.. and with his offense, he should be a clear plus in the future.

Perfect Human

Dec 17, 2014
With a championship roster, he is 2nd line RW based on his play this year. He is only 21.

The next 3-4 years of development are critical.

He needs to be in a winning environment with like minded players. I think there are some good vets on the team, but few like minded players. Most definitely him, Larkin, Kane, and maybe Fischer have that laser drive focus and try to put the team on their backs.

Need more.

Reactions: wings95

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
As already mentioned, he's a youngster - and the line combinations/ roster construction we have, isn't ideal. Playing him with Larkin all the time would be best, because Larks is a two-way player..and then you would need a second two-way guy, best case a bigger, more physical forward (yes, the kind of player that the Wings have not managed to sign since.. forever.. ), to round out that line.. and then you probably give up less goals, when Ray is on the ice.

Plus, he'll continue to grow, in all areas, including defense. I'd be concerned (and not so positive about extending him long term) if he'd lazy, lacking effort, stuff like that. But the guy is feisty, doesn't back down, stays on the ice even after very hard hits.. so I guess you can grow him into (at least) a "solid" player on the defensive side.. and with his offense, he should be a clear plus in the future.
Ray's defensive play isn't the problem. It's the Perrons, Kanes, Fabbris, etc... that have rotated on and off his line.

Note that Ray is seeing SH shifts and is put on the ice with Cop and Ras to close out games in 5 on 6 situations.

OneMoreTry

Sep 26, 2021
Oh, I won't argue against the fact that we have a bunch of players who are a minus on D, not only Ray, and that some are bigger headaches than him, even though he has the worst +- on the team. Especially Perron just needs to be gone, I can already see myself completely freak out if we re-sign that guy.. :rant:

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Raymond is -10 in the 6 games since Larkin got injured

which is literally half of his negative +/- on the season and shows just how silly hyperfocusing on it can be, especially since Larkin himself has a negative +/- and is his most common linemate

Reactions: Air Budd Dwyer

OneMoreTry

Sep 26, 2021
..which could lead you to the conclusion, that Larkin would be a clear plus, were he constantly playing with two other two-way forwards. But he's rarely having those, it's almost always the opposite (for his whole career, actually..) - he's usually playing with guys who are defensively worse than him. So he's supposed to drive his linemates on offense while at the same time making up for their mistakes on defense. Amazing.. :eyeroll:

Even more importantly, all our forwards +- suffers from the dumpster fire we call defense. Imagine switching Larkin onto the Canes 1st line, which has guys like Burns, Slavin, Skjei behind them most of the time (and quality depth down to the 3rd pair). I'm pretty sure how it would look like. Maybe not equally good, because Aho is better than Larkin, but the difference won't be as huge as one could possibly think, when comparing the two teams points and standing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad