OT: Los Angeles Angels Talk

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
Matt V just called the Walsh home run "Foul" when it was probably at least 50 feet away from the foul pole. Remote broadcasting is a f***ing joke.
The Angels are one of only 2 teams who‘s TV guys are broadcasting remotely, along with the Orioles. Always nice of a major market team with two of the biggest stars in the league to be in the same company as the O’s. Granted, a lot of it has to do with the fact that they’re trying to accommodate Matt V, who has like 4 other jobs. But just like everything else, it makes the club seem so amateurish relative to everyone else In the league.

The radio guys are also calling games remotely, one of only 3 teams to do so (ironically one of which is the Dodgers). But they said it’s due to “broadcaster preference” which makes sense, because Terry Smith is old and he also sucks.

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
It’s not as big a deal for the radio guys because we can’t see how far behind the play they are.

Holy Crap the Angels TV broadcast is almost unwatchable. They’re not even remotely close to being with the play.

Bender66

Send in the clowns
Oct 4, 2008
SoCal
It doesn't make any sense either, Matt V was remote last year too ... Did they fire all the engineers in the Bally's truck from last yr? All you have to do is instead of broadcasting the live feed to Bally, delay the tv feed by like a sec, and then broadcast the feed MattV is watching. it's not 1983, they've solved this issue like 4 decades ago ...

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
It was so bad yesterday I honestly thought my sound bar was broken. I unhooked it and hooked it back up and then checked it on other channels but alas, it’s just the Angels crappy broadcast.

Reactions: Sean Garrity

SoCal Dreaming

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2020
It's still early but someone take a picture of the standings for the AL West. Pitching is doing just enough and bullpen has been better more times than bad. Offense is up and down. Hopefully they can keep it up.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
It's still early but someone take a picture of the standings for the AL West. Pitching is doing just enough and bullpen has been better more times than bad. Offense is up and down. Hopefully they can keep it up.

The offense is better this year than last year. Trout and Rendon are healthy, but Ward has been amazing to start the season! Currently, Ward has better stats than Trout at BA, OBP, SLG, and OPS. During the off-season, GM Minisian was able to solidify the back end/bullpen. Unfortunately, that's all he could muster up.

That offense is beating opposing teams up and the Angels have taken a huge lead. They did start the first week slow, but have been in a rampage. Can our starting pitchers hold throughout the long season? That's the bigger question. Otherwise, we might be in a lot of shootouts and I still like our chances!

Reactions: IDuck

SoCal Dreaming

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2020
I loved it when they beat the Astros on that last series. Lol

I'd like to see how they'll do against the Yankees, Rays and Bluejays.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
20 year anniversary of winning the 2002 World Series. Where were you when it happened ?
I was at my cousins quinceanera the day of game 6 2002, we had to rely on text updates about the score the game. The place was mixed with Angels and Giants fans.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits.
Nov 26, 2017
20 year anniversary of winning the 2002 World Series. Where were you when it happened ?
I was at my cousins quinceanera the day of game 6 2002, we had to rely on text updates about the score the game. The place was mixed with Angels and Giants fans.

I was in the building for Game 6. That and Kariya's "off the floor, on the board" goal are the two most electrifying non-championship moments I've ever witnessed live.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
f***ed up and accidentally bought 3 club level seats tonight by accident, let me know if you want to buy them off me at a discount, will sell at any quantity

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
So 20 years later after the magical 2002 season they are great again !
Syndgaard is legit just wish he could g deeper into games.

Most importantly keep Trout and Ohtani need to stay healthy the whole year.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Arte better get out his checkbook, now. If Angels let Ohtani get to free agency, he's gone.
Paying for sluggers isn't a problem for Arte. It's paying for acquire top-end pitching has been the problem. Several years ago, the Angels could have retained starting pitcher Greinke for $25 mil. Instead, Arte swooped into to sign slugger Hamilton with that $25 mil instead and lose a first round pick.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Paying for sluggers isn't a problem for Arte. It's paying for acquire top-end pitching has been the problem. Several years ago, the Angels could have retained starting pitcher Greinke for $25 mil. Instead, Arte swooped into to sign slugger Hamilton with that $25 mil instead and lose a first round pick.
Ohtani is both. I say the bidding begins a $50M a year. It will be interesting to see how proactive Arte is or if Ohtani is even interested in an extension with the Angels.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Ohtani is both.

Yeah, you missed the point that he is also a slugger. Ya know... such as his recent two HRs in one game with one being a grand slam. When Ohtani can't pitch, then he can at least still hit like when Ohtani under went Tommy John surgery and missed 2 seasons.

Arte likes the long ball over pitchers.

Top end sluggers signed or traded for:
Pujols (DFA in last year of contract)​
Hamilton (bust upon arrival)​
Ohtani​
Upton (DFA in last year of contract)​
Rendon​

Top end pitchers signed or traded for:
Greinke (traded for to avoid losing a first rd pick if signed as a FA)​
Ohtani​

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Yeah, you missed the point that he is also a slugger. Ya know... such as his recent two HRs in one game with one being a grand slam. When Ohtani can't pitch, then he can at least still hit like when Ohtani under went Tommy John surgery and missed 2 seasons.

Arte likes the long ball over pitchers.

Top end sluggers signed or traded for:
Pujols (DFA in last year of contract)​
Hamilton (bust upon arrival)​
Ohtani​
Upton (DFA in last year of contract)​
Rendon​

Top end pitchers signed or traded for:
Greinke (traded for to avoid losing a first rd pick if signed as a FA)​
Ohtani​
I didn't miss any point. You cited Arte as having no problem paying sluggers, not mentioning the fact that Ohtani is the Angels' best pitcher. My $50M/year FA starting point is because he is both.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits.
Nov 26, 2017
Ohtani is both. I say the bidding begins a $50M a year. It will be interesting to see how proactive Arte is or if Ohtani is even interested in an extension with the Angels.

For Shohei? He absolutely will be given how much revenue he drives and the worldwide attention he brings to the franchise, which are priorities A and B for him

As for Shohei’s angle, if they can sell him with a deep playoff run and convince him they can compete perennially, I think he’ll stick around. Hopefully…

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I didn't miss any point. You cited Arte as having no problem paying sluggers, not mentioning the fact that Ohtani is the Angels' best pitcher. My $50M/year FA starting point is because he is both.

Just ICYMI,

Greinke was an ace starting pitcher when we acquired him, in case you don't know who Greinke is. Arte chose to signed slugging OF Hamilton for $25 mil/year than give it to Greinke. Don't worry, you'll slowly understand.

Add in the fact that Ohtani has missed two seasons pitching already, but he kept hitting makes it easier for Arte to spend cash on Ohtani b/c that hitting and slugging will still be there as a DH, at a minimum. I want to reiterate that Ohtani has already missed TWO SEASONS as a pitcher. Don't worry, you'll slowly understand.

== More Context ==

I know you don't do research work, but I'll fill you in on how Arte truly loves slugging over pitching with selecting OF Hamilton over ace SP Greinke.

And at the time, the farm team didn't have much pitching prospects. Also, at that time, signing a top-free agent would cost your team its first round pick. Then GM Dipoto made an in-season trade for Greinke in hopes of re-signing him as well as not get into a bidding war for Greinke along with not losing a first round pick. The org gave up SS Segura, who would become an all-star, and other pieces.

Moreno wanted Hamilton over Greinke. Not only did it hurt the Angels' pitching depth, but also lost another first round pick. Moreno signed Pujols the previous off-season. That's two, consecutive first round picks lost due to signing FA's.

Because Moreno wouldn't sign any expensive pitchers, GM Dipoto started trading away positional players for young, cost controlled pitchers. Dipoto was able to secure some monies for the bullpen in Huston Street and Joe Smith.

Flash forward to this past off-season. GM Minisian wasn't given money for top-end starting pitching, but he was able to secure monies for the bullpen in retaining Raisel Iglesias and signing Aaron Loup. Hmmm... sounds eeriely familiar.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Just ICYMI,

Greinke was an ace starting pitcher when we acquired him, in case you don't know who Greinke is. Arte chose to signed slugging OF Hamilton for $25 mil/year than give it to Greinke. Don't worry, you'll slowly understand.

Add in the fact that Ohtani has missed two seasons pitching already, but he kept hitting makes it easier for Arte to spend cash on Ohtani b/c that hitting and slugging will still be there as a DH, at a minimum. I want to reiterate that Ohtani has already missed TWO SEASONS as a pitcher. Don't worry, you'll slowly understand.

== More Context ==

I know you don't do research work, but I'll fill you in on how Arte truly loves slugging over pitching with selecting OF Hamilton over ace SP Greinke.

And at the time, the farm team didn't have much pitching prospects. Also, at that time, signing a top-free agent would cost your team its first round pick. Then GM Dipoto made an in-season trade for Greinke in hopes of re-signing him as well as not get into a bidding war for Greinke along with not losing a first round pick. The org gave up SS Segura, who would become an all-star, and other pieces.

Moreno wanted Hamilton over Greinke. Not only did it hurt the Angels' pitching depth, but also lost another first round pick. Moreno signed Pujols the previous off-season. That's two, consecutive first round picks lost due to signing FA's.

Because Moreno wouldn't sign any expensive pitchers, GM Dipoto started trading away positional players for young, cost controlled pitchers. Dipoto was able to secure some monies for the bullpen in Huston Street and Joe Smith.

Flash forward to this past off-season. GM Minisian wasn't given money for top-end starting pitching, but he was able to secure monies for the bullpen in retaining Raisel Iglesias and signing Aaron Loup. Hmmm... sounds eeriely familiar.
I don't need your tutorials on Angel history. I'm well aware of Arte's tendencies.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I honestly am tired of hearing about Eppler and Dipoto.
You can bet Dipoto is gonna bid like crazy on Ohtani if he reaches UFA.

Reactions: KelVarnsen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad