London Knights 2023 - 24 Season Thread (Part 4)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
There are absolutely nothing wrong with OHL top defender of the month Sam Dickinson. He's learning his development faster than most we've seen in a long while. It's ovious his confusion comes from the top brass holding down his reins so the man can learn more about ice management, they don't want him to burn himself before playoffs.

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
We've seen alot of Wolley paired with Brzustewicz while Edward missing, that's our London future right there, and then you have PJ Fagan and Noah Jenken along with goalie Medvedev fresh out of their hot individual successful Junior B seasons coming. Developmental team is well and alive in London, the Knights will not lose a beat

Look at the shot clock, it got closer near the end after Kitchner tied the game. Can't expect to win if you don't have the majority of puck position, can't score as many goals if you don't have a puck on your stick to shoot, and you can't have the puck if you are losing at the faceoff circle. Kitchener first two goals came straight out after winning the faceoffs, I don't think London won more than 30% of faceoffs last night. There are other ways to take puck position, that is clearly inderstood, but for a fast skating team, it's a lot of energy to spend just chasing down that black little thing

Dale's changing of his lines is fine, but I also think next time he will wait for a lest competitive team to make his trial change, just a personal thought.

BobHockey

Jul 9, 2015
Pressure seems to be getting to Dickinson hopefully he can fight through it
I don't think the pressure is getting to him.

He is (still) a young D-man learning his craft and is not always going to be outstanding every shift. I was at the game on Wednesday and the one thing I observed was London as a team were not making the simple plays when they were being pressured. Rather than knocking it out off the glass to get a line change or just get it out of the zone they were attempting some passes that were risky and were intercepted. The 2004-05 team had the banking it off the glass down to a fine art lol.

I am not sure if first overall means as much to Mark and Dale as it does to us fans. They certainly don't need the extra game in a conference final or OHL championship series from a money point of view. Seems every year around this time the Knights go into a bit of a slide. I wonder if Dale is working on some changes to systems during this time that will be better suited for later playoff rounds against the top tier teams. Just a theory lol.

Back to Dickinson, watched him a lot on Wednesday. This kid is the real deal and you can see how he will be a very good player in the NHL...maybe even a star. He has a lot to learn for sure but he is very good.

rve24

Oct 26, 2022

He is (still) a young D-man learning his craft and is not always going to be outstanding every shift. I was at the game on Wednesday and the one thing I observed was London as a team were not making the simple plays when they were being pressured. Rather than knocking it out off the glass to get a line change or just get it out of the zone they were attempting some passes that were risky and were intercepted. The 2004-05 team had the banking it off the glass down to a fine art lol.

I am not sure if first overall means as much to Mark and Dale as it does to us fans. They certainly don't need the extra game in a conference final or OHL championship series from a money point of view. Seems every year around this time the Knights go into a bit of a slide. I wonder if Dale is working on some changes to systems during this time that will be better suited for later playoff rounds against the top tier teams. Just a theory lol.

Back to Dickinson, watched him a lot on Wednesday. This kid is the real deal and you can see how he will be a very good player in the NHL...maybe even a star. He has a lot to learn for sure but he is very good.
Re the folded. For sure Dale is tinkering and challenging players in new spots to help develop and evaluate. Also the new challenges keep things fresh during the dog days of a season. Also probly doesn't wanna give teams video prep. The lines will look different come POs.

Last edited:

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
If I'm picking a second round opponent between Soo, Saginaw and Kitchener, it's Kitchener. Although last night may say differently.

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa

Fully agree BobHockey

And yes Dale is preparing his team for playoffs, not all teams plays the same way, he needs to know what are his best line combinations against certain teams he will face in playoffs.

Maxxim1

Oct 17, 2005
We've seen alot of Wolley paired with Brzustewicz while Edward missing, that's our London future right there, and then you have PJ Fagan and Noah Jenken along with goalie Medvedev fresh out of their hot individual successful Junior B seasons coming. Developmental team is well and alive in London, the Knights will not lose a beat
Don’t forget about Brendan Gerber and Cohen Bidgood who are both a point per game in Jr.B.

Reactions: Fastpace

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
Don’t forget about Brendan Gerber and Cohen Bidgood who are both a point per game in Jr.B.
I didn't, I have been reading about tthem too, unfortunately I am too far to go out and watch the Bs play like I used to, London will need seconds and third round picks, if these players make the OHL some may have to be moved. That's the business of developing players in action by the Knights brass

• Wow
Reactions: LDN

crowncarrier

My father hung me on a hook once....once.
Apr 10, 2015
Section 111
Missed the entire first period as I just got home but I see Cowan has an assist to extend the streak....wow he is on a tear.

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
Here is a question, since Julien just now reached the 70 point mark

Where there any U18 drafted player reaching 70 point in one season, and remember he was pick in round 3 after pickin goalie McBride in the second rd ?

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
No one has a lower opinion of the Rangers than Ranger fans lol.
Last night was a big step in the right direction. I thought Kitchener really clogged up the middle of the ice and kept London from getting untracked. Next Saturday we'll see if that's a one off or the standard of play which we haven't seen since the first few months season.

Reactions: zman77 and Fastpace

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
If I'm picking a second round opponent between Soo, Saginaw and Kitchener, it's Kitchener. Although last night may say differently.
Very good point, Home ice is only a part it. Potential opponents are just as important.

I want to see a London/Kitchener second round, not going to be as easy as some of these Knights fans say on here LOL

A 2nd round playoff series should not be ‘easy’.
But the Soo have really had the Knights number this year…. So avoiding them would be ideal.

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
4-3 London over Flint

Faceoff wins are so important in the D-zone, and when they finally win one they get penalised

Reactions: zman77

KnightWatch

Sep 7, 2011
Missed the entire first period as I just got home but I see Cowan has an assist to extend the streak....wow he is on a tear.

Sometimes I feel like we get too caught up in his offensive prowess, but he still has a lot of maturing to do. It was his man, whom he let get away, that ended up scoring the OT winner in Kitchener.

He needs to remember that his defensive responsibilities are just as important (maybe more even) than his point streak!

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Last I checked our goal differential was first in the league, and we have some impressive plus/minus stats led by Dickinson at a plus 47.
However, take a look at our 4th line plus/minus stats. S. Boulton is a minus 14 playing on a powerhouse team. He's out for another 2 games (suspension) but I'm thinking ahead to the playoffs and wondering what the 4th line will be. I know the 4th line will only play a handful of shifts, but having them on the ice in a road game with no last change and a faceoff in our own zone with the opposition's top line coming out should give some cause for concern. Can we just play 3 lines?
I notice Hunter is doing a lot of line juggling of late, no doubt giving thought to the post-season.

Reactions: Fastpace and zman77

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
Last I checked our goal differential was first in the league, and we have some impressive plus/minus stats led by Dickinson at a plus 47.
However, take a look at our 4th line plus/minus stats. S. Boulton is a minus 14 playing on a powerhouse team. He's out for another 2 games (suspension) but I'm thinking ahead to the playoffs and wondering what the 4th line will be. I know the 4th line will only play a handful of shifts, but having them on the ice in a road game with no last change and a faceoff in our own zone with the opposition's top line coming out should give some cause for concern. Can we just play 3 lines?
I notice Hunter is doing a lot of line juggling of late, no doubt giving thought to the post-season.
Don't you think Sawyer Boulton will tone down his role a little for the playoffs. He's been doing the extras, to get more respect and space for his teammates. Soon will come playoffs, like all player ups their game and pays more attention to their defensive side of the puck, so will Sawyer Boulton, he will most certainly be picking his protecting role spot more carefully from here on out.

I thing he's accomplished his regular season role on this team, it's what he was brought in for, now I suspect his game and role will change some what to more seriousness. IMHO

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Don't you think Sawyer Boulton will tone down his role a little for the playoffs. He's been doing the extras, to get more respect and space for his teammates. Soon will come playoffs, like all player ups their game and pays more attention to their defensive side of the puck, so will Sawyer Boulton, he will most certainly be picking his protecting role spot more carefully from here on out.

I thing he's accomplished his regular season role on this team, it's what he was brought in for, now I suspect his game and role will change some what to more seriousness. IMHO
Sure, he might tone it down, but my main point is that he's a liability on the ice, minus 12 plus/minus on a team with the best goal differential. This season teams have hemmed us in our zone when that 4th line is on the ice. I even commented on it earlier in the season when the opposition coach managed to get his top line out against our 4th line and it proved costly. Can't go into the playoffs in my opinion with S. Boulton, Boulton, Nichol or
S. Boulton, Nichol, Van Gorp or
S. Boulton, Nichol, Bruz.

Reactions: rve24 and Fastpace

ArielNederland

Jun 21, 2021
Is barkey eligible for ahl next season? If so, we could be looking at losing barkey, Cowan, and overages at minimum

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
Sure, he might tone it down, but my main point is that he's a liability on the ice, minus 12 plus/minus on a team with the best goal differential. This season teams have hemmed us in our zone when that 4th line is on the ice. I even commented on it earlier in the season when the opposition coach managed to get his top line out against our 4th line and it proved costly. Can't go into the playoffs in my opinion with S. Boulton, Boulton, Nichol or
S. Boulton, Nichol, Van Gorp or
S. Boulton, Nichol, Bruz.
Of course he is a liability, his role made hum that, his mean objection was not to score or prevent goals, when he did, that was bonus.

With playoffs approaching his play and role will change and deviate, he will be more concentrated on the game and on his ice responsibility, his protecting role will be alot lest demanding of him. Playoffs hockey does this to you automatically. Brandon Prust is who comes to mind, don't know what year it was, he was brought in for one specific job had some 200+ penalty season minutes, his sinbox minute down by half and I think he double up his point production in the playoffs as well, I'd have to look it up

I've checked. It's 2004 I am refering, don't know what happened in 2005 as it went all out of wack his Memorial Cup playoffs run . lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad