Confirmed with Link: Logan Stanley 2 years 1.25 million

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If Stanley were 5'10, he wouldn't have gotten an opportunity and the people who are bitching about us signing him are the same ones that would have bitched had we lost him on waivers

That's the irony. Hardly a day goes by without someone lamenting the fact that we lost a 6'4 RHD in Kovacevic but he's no better than Stanley

He's a 7D. Not everyone on your blueline can be a Norris trophy candidate. Every team carries a defenseman as bad as Stanley. Many carry more than one, and lots of them are even worse

Yeah, Kovacevic is better than Stan.
1) He can skate.
2) He is a RHS.
3) Probably more. Who knows? Who cares?

If we could get a 4th for Stanley WTH are we waiting for?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

$4,251,309​

waive:
ajf +.775
shaw +.775
fleury +.775
jad +.775
comrie +.825

gives us 8.176 million to sign perfetti and heinola

Then we are back down to 20 on the roster. So bring back Heinola and 2 of them.

The correct answer would be "don't qualify the guy and focus on getting better".

Too late to not qualify him. He is signed - for 2 more years.

I'm about ready to quit talking about trading/waiving him. Time to start speculating about when he will retire.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Then we are back down to 20 on the roster. So bring back Heinola and 2 of them.
we currently have 15 forwards and perfetti would make 16
we have 7 defensemen signed heinola and coghlan would make 9
we have 3 goalies signed

16 + 9 + 3 = 28 means 5 players need to be waived

I think it's actually 7.3 million left over because I forgot to add the cap hit of the 8th defensemen

Last edited:

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
IMG_6494.jpeg

-Kevin Cheveldayoff
Almost there……

Last edited:

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Well then that means that Kakkhonen is NHL bound which is even more horrible…any way you dice it…..Chevy is an incompetent buffoon
remind me, where did the sharks finish in the standings? he finished with a .898 sv% when league average was .903... while on the worst team in the nhl.. maybe try to get a little bit more perspective... it will go a long way

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Why do people make it sound like being the GM of the Winnipeg Jets is a piece of cake? Almost every player that has a no trade in their contract has Winnipeg on it, that's basically having one arm tied behind your back. Chevy has a player that wants a trade, he finds a good trade but oh wait that player doesn't want to come to Winnipeg. That would be very frustrating if you ask me. I also think Chevy has done a pretty good job of not signing our players to huge over payment deals to keep them here. We could do alot worse than Chevy as our GM.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Why do people make it sound like being the GM of the Winnipeg Jets is a piece of cake? Almost every player that has a no trade in their contract has Winnipeg on it, that's basically having one arm tied behind your back. Chevy has a player that wants a trade, he finds a good trade but oh wait that player doesn't want to come to Winnipeg. That would be very frustrating if you ask me. I also think Chevy has done a pretty good job of not signing our players to huge over payment deals to keep them here. We could do alot worse than Chevy as our GM.
I personally think the “Chevy has the hardest GM job in the league” narrative is inaccurate.

Not having to participate in Free Agency and be hamstrung with the overpaid Free Agency contracts is one less thing he has to deal with. That’s a good thing - he should use that as an advantage. Focus on draft and develop, find diamonds in the rough in trades/free agency, weaponize Cap Space, and don’t give away bad contracts. Seems like a formula for success.

His job is Draft & Develop and player relations, but he can’t even do that right lately. Chevy and Chipman have been handing out picks for free the past 6 years with no playoff success to show for them. They can’t even DRAFT and develop if they have so few draft picks. League prospect rankings have shown the Jets are in the bottom third/half in terms of overall prospect rankings. Thats not good for a team that can’t attract talent.

He also has an owner that will spend to the Cap maximum. Some other GM’s don’t have that luxury.

Did we mention Chevy has the safest job in the league? 13 seasons and not a single Cup Final appearance.

To be fair - I find it impossible to properly assess Chevy’s performance. It’s clear that Chipman meddles. So we never know which moves Chevy would actually make if he had free rein from the owner.

Reactions: Bigfish

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Yeah, Kovacevic is better than Stan.
1) He can skate.
2) He is a RHS.
3) Probably more. Who knows? Who cares?

If we could get a 4th for Stanley WTH are we waiting for?
Nah, Kovacevic is definitely not better than Stan.

You said yourself you're sick of him I think you're letting your bias affect your judgment.

Yup. If Chevy could have landed the players he was going after in FA people wouldn't be complaining.

The fact that he can manage to ice a competitive lineup without overpaying consistently is pretty impressive.

He's not perfect but we could have way way worse

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
I personally think the “Chevy has the hardest GM job in the league” narrative is inaccurate.

Not having to participate in Free Agency and be hamstrung with the overpaid Free Agency contracts is one less thing he has to deal with. That’s a good thing - he should use that as an advantage. Focus on draft and develop, find diamonds in the rough in trades/free agency, weaponize Cap Space, and don’t give away bad contracts. Seems like a formula for success.

His job is Draft & Develop and player relations, but he can’t even do that right lately. Chevy and Chipman have been handing out picks for free the past 6 years with no playoff success to show for them. They can’t even DRAFT and develop if they have so few draft picks. League prospect rankings have shown the Jets are in the bottom third/half in terms of overall prospect rankings. Thats not good for a team that can’t attract talent.

He also has an owner that will spend to the Cap maximum. Some other GM’s don’t have that luxury.

Did we mention Chevy has the safest job in the league? 13 seasons and not a single Cup Final appearance.

To be fair - I find it impossible to properly assess Chevy’s performance. It’s clear that Chipman meddles. So we never know which moves Chevy would actually make if he had free rein from the owner.
it's impossible to build an entire team that can compete thru draft and develop, you will need free agency and trades to fill the holes

"If you want to take something simple out of this to remember for the future, it’s that an average draft class produces about 60 NHL players (between 51 and 69), and about 40 of them (between 36 and 49) will go on to play a significant career in the NHL (at least 300 games played). Those numbers are likely lower than what most expected, and they don’t even take the quality of the player into consideration – a Hall of Fame player is worth the same as a fourth line grinder in this analysis."

scott wheeler had us ranked 16th in prospect pools before this draft, for a team making the players offs and trading off picks that seems like a pretty good ranking

being on every players no trade list and not being able to attract free agents makes the pool of players we can choose from very very small compared to other teams

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
it's impossible to build an entire team that can compete thru draft and develop, you will need free agency and trades to fill the holes

"If you want to take something simple out of this to remember for the future, it’s that an average draft class produces about 60 NHL players (between 51 and 69), and about 40 of them (between 36 and 49) will go on to play a significant career in the NHL (at least 300 games played). Those numbers are likely lower than what most expected, and they don’t even take the quality of the player into consideration – a Hall of Fame player is worth the same as a fourth line grinder in this analysis."

scott wheeler had us ranked 16th in prospect pools before this draft, for a team making the players offs and trading off picks that seems like a pretty good ranking

being on every players no trade list and not being able to attract free agents makes the pool of players we can choose from very very small compared to other teams
I did mention free agency and trades as part of my strategy. Can’t ignore those avenues completely. They should be looking for the Perreault’s and DeMelo’s of the world. Even the Evgeny Svechnikov and Haydn Fleury type acquisitions. Low risk, potential reward. Svechnikov didn’t work out, but it was a great buy low contract worth trying.

Scott Wheeler is one ranking. A few others I’ve seen had them in the 17-21 range. And one had the goalie prospects ranked 31st or 32nd.

A draft and develop team should be finding 2 NHL caliber players every year. The less picks you have, the less probability of finding those players. Particularly without a 1st rounder.

Reactions: DRW204

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I did mention free agency and trades as part of my strategy. Can’t ignore those avenues completely. They should be looking for the Perreault’s and DeMelo’s of the world. Even the Evgeny Svechnikov and Haydn Fleury type acquisitions. Low risk, potential reward. Svechnikov didn’t work out, but it was a great buy low contract worth trying.

Scott Wheeler is one ranking. A few others I’ve seen had them in the 17-21 range. And one had the goalie prospects ranked 31st or 32nd.

A draft and develop team should be finding 2 NHL caliber players every year. The less picks you have, the less probability of finding those players. Particularly without a 1st rounder.
on one hand- this forum constantly laments all these GMs and their supposed bad deals: overpriced, to much term etc. but then uses the Jets inability for FAs as a common excuse. which one is it?

the marquee players on July 1 sure - panarin, tavares, that crew - the Jets likely won't be in the running, id say you don't absolutely need those marquee UFA guys to win cups . however there's a tier of player the Jets do adequately in, like you mentioned demelo, perreault and then add extensions or re-signings of nino, stastny, bro, names to the list. they were in it with Monahan, and players like Dillon expressed interest wanting to come back. i think there's more opportunity than ppl believe. Vilardi if he extends would be another example for a good trade-for + future extension too.

the NTC/NMC stuff happens when your UFA eligible (so essentially 27+).... there's a whole group of players that get acquired via different avenues that don't have NTC/NMCs. Zito in Florida with in a year or so brought in forsling, carter v, bennett, reinhart, montour, luostarainen.... no trade protection no high priced FA acquisitions there, all v good players. JT Miller - another example where people laughed at the Canucks for the trade and singing - went for 1st+3rd, no trade protection, & now has surpassed Scheifele bordering on AINEC territory.

this is where imo analytics/stats can help find those diamonds in the rough that may not cost a lot and then have their eventual break-out on the Jets, and perhaps more keen extending here once they've arrived & really started to flourish. i think there's more instances like demelo or vilardi that the Jets can capitalize on that ppl seem to think, but just my opinion.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad