Confirmed with Link: Logan Stanley 2 years 1.25 million

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Nah, Kovacevic is definitely not better than Stan.

You said yourself you're sick of him I think you're letting your bias affect your judgment.

I will reiterate: Kovy can skate - at an NHL level. Nuff said right there.

Do you think we could get a 4th rd pick for Stan? If we could, we should while we still can.

I didn't put that very well. It is not Stanley himself that I am sick of. It is all of the baggage that goes with him that I am sick of. I am sick of losing other players in order to keep him around. Argue the quality of those players all you want. I'm not a Stanley hater. Never have been. But I am tired of everything connected to him. He is a 7/8 Dman. Why isn't he gone?

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
I did mention free agency and trades as part of my strategy. Can’t ignore those avenues completely. They should be looking for the Perreault’s and DeMelo’s of the world. Even the Evgeny Svechnikov and Haydn Fleury type acquisitions. Low risk, potential reward. Svechnikov didn’t work out, but it was a great buy low contract worth trying.

Scott Wheeler is one ranking. A few others I’ve seen had them in the 17-21 range. And one had the goalie prospects ranked 31st or 32nd.

A draft and develop team should be finding 2 NHL caliber players every year. The less picks you have, the less probability of finding those players. Particularly without a 1st rounder.
even if we find 2 nhl caliber players every year that is still not enough to build a team off of, you get 7 years of control, 2x7 = 14 meaning 9 spots would need to be filled else where, and that doesn't even account the quality of those 14 players or the position they play

were going to have holes in our roster, were not going to be able to fill those holes for free, were going to have to trade our picks if we ever want to compete

Reactions: Jets 31

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019

Do you think we could get a 4th rd pick for Stan? If we could, we should while we still can.

I didn't put that very well. It is not Stanley himself that I am sick of. It is all of the baggage that goes with him that I am sick of. I am sick of losing other players in order to keep him around. Argue the quality of those players all you want. I'm not a Stanley hater. Never have been. But I am tired of everything connected to him. He is a 7/8 Dman. Why isn't he gone?
You don't think Stanley skates at an NHL level?

He has some issues with foot speed and lateral movement (like anyone his size), but to suggest his skating isn't NHL calibre is just false

Neither player is Cale Makar, but that's the point I was making int he first place.

Remember Keaton Ellerby? The guy was a great skater, but as useless as Stanley. You can't use that as your only metric

Reactions: Jets 31

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

He has some issues with foot speed and lateral movement (like anyone his size), but to suggest his skating isn't NHL calibre is just false

Neither player is Cale Makar, but that's the point I was making int he first place.

Remember Keaton Ellerby? The guy was a great skater, but as useless as Stanley. You can't use that as your only metric

It is enough when 1 can and the other can't.
No, I don't think Stanley skates at an NHL level. Lacking foot speed and lateral movement is a sufficient deficit. He also lacks acceleration. If that describes "anyone his size" then why was he drafted? Oh yeah, for his size.

Kovacevic is not some outstanding player either. But I think he is better than Stanley. That's a pretty low bar.

Reactions: WolfHouse

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

Big Stan was a plus player playing against the Oilers in 2021 playoffs, including unprotected road games...he was also a plus player against a Montreal team that featured Chiarot-Weber, two slow footed skaters, a pairing the Jets couldn't beat. So I think Stanley isn't useless as some people would infer...and Johnny K is hardly graceful on his skates, and anybody who has watched him play in the NHL would say he handles the puck far worse than Stan.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Big Stan was a plus player playing against the Oilers in 2021 playoffs, including unprotected road games...he was also a plus player against a Montreal team that featured Chiarot-Weber, two slow footed skaters, a pairing the Jets couldn't beat. So I think Stanley isn't useless as some people would infer...and Johnny K is hardly graceful on his skates, and anybody who has watched him play in the NHL would say he handles the puck far worse than Stan.

Stan is not useless, IMO. I, for one, never said he was. But he is seriously flawed. I think skating is his biggest weakness and I doubt a man his size and age will improve that. He is what he is. That is a #7 Dman.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Stan is not useless, IMO. I, for one, never said he was. But he is seriously flawed. I think skating is his biggest weakness and I doubt a man his size and age will improve that. He is what he is. That is a #7 Dman.
Or he is the Jets next Ben Chiarot. If he keeps good gaps and the Jets keep using speed to back pressure, I think the big guy can get some highlight reel hits in this year...I'd much rather have a knock em down type on defense than Nate Schmidt who could play with eggs in his pocket and not break them...If Stan is a #7 Kovacevic is a #8/9.

Reactions: LowLefty and Jet

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Or he is the Jets next Ben Chiarot. If he keeps good gaps and the Jets keep using speed to back pressure, I think the big guy can get some highlight reel hits in this year...I'd much rather have a knock em down type on defense than Nate Schmidt who could play with eggs in his pocket and not break them...If Stan is a #7 Kovacevic is a #8/9.
Ben Chiarot... okey dokey then.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I still put Kovy ahead of Stan. Stan is a 7/8, Kovy is a 6/7. Or call them both #7s. I will still rate Kovy ahead of Stan on a list of #7s.
Kovy has played more games and scored more points - and he has done it without all the opportunity that Stan has been given. Now he has been traded for an actual asset.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

Maybe he is the best tweener we've had, especially at his price point and team control?

I'm all for moving him, I'm don't really feel strongly one way or the other about him but I do think he's a perfectly fine 7th defenseman for this team.

In a perfect world, Miller and Ville are the bottom pair and Sammy and Pionk continue to build chemistry on the 2nd pair. Then we can run with Stan and Fleury as bench options and maybe even hope one of them fulfills their draft pedigree.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Ben Chiarot... okey dokey then.
I remember trying to vote for Ben Chiarot as the Jets 20th best prospect in the first year of our Jets HF prospect polls, well behind some other non NHLers...just a friendly reminder that Niku and Gawanke were considered better prospects than Stan by our HF brethren during their time here. Johannesson was one spot behind him in one poll, and many pushed for him too.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
What do posts like this add to the discussion?

Instead of belittling someones opinion, why not counter it wth a cogent argument. Or do you not have one?
I was not a fan of the Stanley pick and think there have been a significant opportunity cost to keeping him...but the comparison to Chiarot is interesting.

At Stanley's current age (26), Chiarot was given a similar contract by the Jets, but by the the age of 28 he walked into a $10M+ contract with the Canadians as a UFA and played a big role in their SC run.

Comparing Stanley to Chara was always a pipe dream and even Chiarot is quite a reach, but stranger things have happened...

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
What do posts like this add to the discussion?

Instead of belittling someones opinion, why not counter it wth a cogent argument. Or do you not have one?
And your post adds something? Piss off.

Stanley is what he is and he is clearly not Ben Chiarot.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I remember trying to vote for Ben Chiarot as the Jets 20th best prospect in the first year of our Jets HF prospect polls, well behind some other non NHLers...just a friendly reminder that Niku and Gawanke were considered better prospects than Stan by our HF brethren during their time here. Johannesson was one spot behind him in one poll, and many pushed for him too.
The HF prospects ranking is hardly a legit statistic haha...

I will give you that Stan makes equally bad reads as Chiarot did - but physicality, shot blocking and even speed - which Chiarot is not exactly Ehlers - they do not compare... Stan is a 7/8 dman

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
As long as Stanley is our 7th defenseman I'm ok with keeping him on a fairly cheap short contract like he now has.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I personally think the “Chevy has the hardest GM job in the league” narrative is inaccurate.

Not having to participate in Free Agency and be hamstrung with the overpaid Free Agency contracts is one less thing he has to deal with. That’s a good thing - he should use that as an advantage. Focus on draft and develop, find diamonds in the rough in trades/free agency, weaponize Cap Space, and don’t give away bad contracts. Seems like a formula for success.

His job is Draft & Develop and player relations, but he can’t even do that right lately. Chevy and Chipman have been handing out picks for free the past 6 years with no playoff success to show for them. They can’t even DRAFT and develop if they have so few draft picks. League prospect rankings have shown the Jets are in the bottom third/half in terms of overall prospect rankings. Thats not good for a team that can’t attract talent.

He also has an owner that will spend to the Cap maximum. Some other GM’s don’t have that luxury.

Did we mention Chevy has the safest job in the league? 13 seasons and not a single Cup Final appearance.

To be fair - I find it impossible to properly assess Chevy’s performance. It’s clear that Chipman meddles. So we never know which moves Chevy would actually make if he had free rein from the owner.
13 seasons without a Cup appearance isn't actually that long, just ask Toronto with all their overpaid talent.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Could always do something really crazy like compare Stan and Kova's JFresh cards instead of just arguing endlessly... the results are pretty clear.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
It is enough when 1 can and the other can't.
No, I don't think Stanley skates at an NHL level. Lacking foot speed and lateral movement is a sufficient deficit. He also lacks acceleration. If that describes "anyone his size" then why was he drafted? Oh yeah, for his size.

Kovacevic is not some outstanding player either. But I think he is better than Stanley. That's a pretty
Answer honestly:

How many minutes of Kovacevic have you actually watched?

I feel like a narrative just went around here that he's a decent player and it got accepted as fact

Reactions: voyageur

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Answer honestly:

How many minutes of Kovacevic have you actually watched?

I feel like a narrative just went around here that he's a decent player and it got accepted as fact
Compare their jfresh cards... that guy does the work so we don't have to

You've essentially progressed into spreading disinformation about players disguised as 'devils advocate' advanced stats guy.

One guy I'd a flawed 6/7th rhd that can play top minutes if the team is in a bind... the other guy is a flawed 7th/8th lhd that has never not played a sheltered role and still has some of the worst advanced stats in the league

When Stan plays at even a basic level of competence we all congratulate him on this board because even the haters want him to suddenly work... but it's not going to happen

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Compare their jfresh cards... that guy does the work so we don't have to

You've essentially progressed into spreading disinformation about players disguised as 'devils advocate' advanced stats guy.

One guy I'd a flawed 6/7th rhd that can play top minutes if the team is in a bind... the other guy is a flawed 7th/8th lhd that has never not played a sheltered role and still has some of the worst advanced stats in the league

When Stan plays at even a basic level of competence we all congratulate him on this board because even the haters want him to suddenly work... but it's not going to happen
Just using JFresh is through embodiment of what I hate about analytics.

You know you're on shakey ground when you start accusing people of spreading "disinformation" lol

As you said, one is a 6/7, the other is a 7/8. That's my goddamn point. They're both interchangeable parts on most teams

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad