Speculation: Which teams would realistically be able and willing to sign Draisaitl if he didn't sign in Edmonton?

Killswitch

May 22, 2022
Let one massively overpaid forward walk then use that space to add another massively overpaid forward..
e05b4cb8-3825-4533-88e0-610bfad1d636_text.gif
Please don't challenge them

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
Draisaitl had 10 playoff goals this year alone. Mitch has 11 in his career. Let's not pretend like they're the same.

Realistically though, he's staying in Edmonton. Even his agent thinks he stays.
The post I replied to said they should give Draisaitl the "absolute bag".
I wasn't comparing the player, just the dumb cap hits.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
This isn't a knock on the Oilers and just something I wonder about "logistically" when a player who potentially is this expensive comes up at this point.
Especially as I'm in general really bad at reading and understanding potential trades.

Undoubtedly every team would love to have a guy like him, but which team would within this timeline actually be well suited, without throwing other parts of the team into chaos, say by sacrificing their top defensive line? And also have the money, or ability to move players to get that money?
Non playoff teams who are rebuilting like chicago san Jose, and Anaheim could.

Other teams, evening with the cap increase can have issues in signing him to say $13M cap.

Many if these same teams are saying
..mcdavid and Eichel could be signed in 2026

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
Bruins would be go all out to try and sign him I imagine. They have the cap space and an obvious need for a 1C. Plus him and Pasta are buddies.

Reactions: Horton Hears A Woo

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Let one massively overpaid forward walk then use that space to add another massively overpaid forward..
e05b4cb8-3825-4533-88e0-610bfad1d636_text.gif
Unlike Marner, Draisaitl is worth the money when it matters

The Leafs lose in the playoffs because they can't score, this is adding the best playoff goal scorer in the game

Reactions: Kerberos

westc2

Nov 2, 2015
St. Louis, MO
Wings would probably have around 14-15 mil to offer next season if they wanted to go that high. I don't think they would go that high, but you never know. Wings have a bunch of rookies that should be ready to make the roster after next season and Seider/Ray should be locked up already.

Tank-Drai-Ray
DBC-Larkin- MBN/Danielson (975k)
Berggren (1.25)-Kasper (886K)-Ras
Fischer (1.25)-Copp-Mazur (905k)

Seider-Gus
Chiarot-Ed
Holl-Aljo (1)

Talbot
Cossa

I don't see them dealing for Drai because Stevie won't want to gut the depth of this team because we are built to be a depth team, but as a UFA I think the Wings would go hard.
FYI nobody calls him "tank". That was an early nickname someone started calling him in his early years that he never liked. It's been phased out over the years.

Ford Prefect

Mar 2, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
As it stands, Montreal has $26,937,500 in projected cap space next year, plus $10.5 million in LTIR space, and can open up more if necessary with more palatable buyouts of Gallagher and Anderson. The only major RFA that needs to be signed would be Guhle, and UFA Matheson and RFAs Dach and Hutson the following year. They will have their forward lines bolstered by Demidov on an ELC, looking to have a solid top 6 of Suzuki, Caufield, Slafkovsky, Dach, Demidov, or a possible trade/UFA candidate should Demidov not be ready for top 6 minutes.

The outlook will be bright, we have a player's coach. 1st class facilities, and he's already shown he's amenable to the Canadian environment. I obviously don't know what he values, but I wouldn't sleep on Montreal making a serious pitch and being serious contenders. Like I mean if he'll play in the hellhole that is Edmonton, anywhere else would be an improvement, right?

hockeykicker

Global Moderator
Dec 3, 2014
Only 2 of those contracts are actually coming off the books (Mangiapane and Chychrun)
True but they are technically paying backstrom and oshie real money too even though they on ltir. Would be hard to get drai with ltir money being used too

StewieP19

Dec 13, 2022
This isn't a knock on the Oilers and just something I wonder about "logistically" when a player who potentially is this expensive comes up at this point.
Especially as I'm in general really bad at reading and understanding potential trades.

Undoubtedly every team would love to have a guy like him, but which team would within this timeline actually be well suited, without throwing other parts of the team into chaos, say by sacrificing their top defensive line? And also have the money, or ability to move players to get that money?
Ottawa Senators are able to sign him. Also playing with another German player (Stutzle) could be interesting for him. Another point his girlfriend is from Ontario not so far than Ottawa. With him in the lineup Ottawa make playoff and will be not so far to become a cup contender team.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
I remember Jeff Marek saying something on the 32 thoughts podcast last year (or the year before) about there being rumors about the Sharks and Draisaitl, so if he were to go to FA, I think he ends up there but almost certainly stays in EDM.

ponder719

The same New Era as before
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Whenever Briere and Jones grin smugly and say "oh yeah, big pieces, next summer" I become increasingly convinced that their entire "rebuild" plan is to cross their fingers and pray that Draisatl makes it to UFA.

100%, their plan was always either Drai or McDavid getting sick of Edmonton, but not of orange.

Reactions: CascadiaPuck

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
I'd think almost every single one. How many teams out there could use a 1c?
Even teams with a 1C most likely don't have one as good as Drai. When/If a player like him becomes available every team would try to figure something out to get him in the lineup.

FYI nobody calls him "tank". That was an early nickname someone started calling him in his early years that he never liked. It's been phased out over the years.
While true that he never liked it, plenty of Blues fans still call him Tank

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
There's some Montreal podcasts that have been pencilling in his contract for about a year now lol.

They have a lot of money coming off the books and bringing in Demidov + Draisaitl in a single season would basically turn them into contenders right away imo (assuming their current youth continues progressing similar to how they have in the last two years)

If he goes to market, there will be more suitors than we currently see on the surface

Ad

Ad

Ad