Prospect Info: Logan Mailloux Part 3 The Only Hockey Talk Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Who's age 19 season is more impressive? Brook or Mailloux?

Not saying Mailloux bust or disappoints like Brook but are we counting our chickens before they hatch? What I see in Mailloux is someone who is very similar to Barron. Great shot, good size, Great skating, good vision but not known to be shutdown types.

Reactions: Dutronc and Wats

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Not sure if Chester gave a report from Friday's game, as he has been doing an excellent job with Mailloux this year.

But, I will offer some insight. First Knights game since December or early January, can't remember. Mailloux's defence has improved quite a bit. I noticed earlier in the season he was getting beat wide, and not transitioning well. Seemed to have no problem with that this game. Offensively he is still a force when he wants to be.

Mailloux is the best player, at least by the eye test on the Knights. I see him in the AHL next year and possibly the following year depending on all of our other d-men. He will be in the show by 25/26.
I doubt it's going to take another 5-6 years before he's in the NHL.

If that's the case, it won't be with this franchise.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006

Not saying Mailloux bust or disappoints like Brook but are we counting our chickens before they hatch? What I see in Mailloux is someone who is very similar to Barron. Great shot, good size, Great skating, good vision but not known to be shutdown types.
I agree, if he is what Jets want in a package for Dubois IMO Habs should listen 100%. As talented as he has been, there really nothing suggesting he is can't miss. Don't think he is even close to a Guhle level prospect.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I agree, if he is what Jets want in a package for Dubois IMO Habs should listen 100%. As talented as he has been, there really nothing suggesting he is can't miss. Don't think he is even close to a Guhle level prospect.

I rather protect Hutson, Farrell, and Roy over Beck and Mailloux. Mailloux is an interesting one to ponder about though. But personally, I see a Barron type.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

I just don't get why we are the ones who have to include better prospects than anyone else when they've bought players in this situation?

That's the question I keep asking when people throw around Beck, Mailloux, Kidney, etc.

JT3

May 27, 2013
I doubt it's going to take another 5-6 years before he's in the NHL.

If that's the case, it won't be with this franchise.
I think you might be living in the past man... it's 2023 now. The 25-26 season is 2.5 years away :laugh:

Reactions: Redux91

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
I know there is a cloud hanging over him. He made a mistake as a 17 year old. Can he ever shake that off?
Such an intriguing prospect.
Lol! It’s over. Only cloud are people that keep bringing it up for some reason…

Reactions: rik schau

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I think you might be living in the past man... it's 2023 now. The 25-26 season is 2.5 years away :laugh:
I thought he meant when Mailloux is 25-26 :laugh:

Looking back, not sure why I came to that conclusion lol

• Haha
Reactions: JT3

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
When looking at the future D in MTL the young ones I think stick around are
Guhle, Harris, Xhekaj (long term)

Potentially moved
Barron, Kovy

With Matheson there till his contract runs

Hutson, Mailloux, Engstrom, Trudeau? being the guys not pro yet

Assume 1 good D pick this year maybe

3 years from now I can see

Matheson (vet ready to leave) - Guhle (Our solid stud)
Harris (Our steady 2 D) - Mailloux (Fire bombs/Xhekaj plays more/PP)
Hutson (Breaking in+getting used to league/PP/Puts up 40+) - Xhekaj (Steady literally everywhere/plays up and down)

Barron draws in on Mailloux/Hutson Probably plays more games than both. Kovy too good to be an 8th D, so maybe one of Huts or Mailloux even still in A. Or hes moved.
Possible 23' pick pushing.
Possible signing added in.

PP Guys:
Huts, Mailloux, Matheson, Guhle

PK Guys:
Guhle, Harris, X, Matheson.

No matter what thats the beginning of a long lifed solid Habs D, and something to be excited about. (Sorry about how much room this post took up)
I just think that you have too many Ds playing on their offside.

Montreal basically lacks a large-bodied, shutdown RD for the top-4.

IMO, we won't keep Guhle, Matheson, Harris, Xhekaj and Hutson as LDs.

I believe that Matheson is gone in the last year of his contract (as a 32 yr-old). Unfortunately, either Harris is gone or he plays RD. I actually prefer Barron as a RD than Harris and, IMO Barron would be a puck-moving option, optimally, on a third pairing, maybe with PP time on a 2nd unit.

Guhle - Mailloux
Hutson - Shutdown, top-4 D (Grans or other)
Xhekaj - Barron/Harris
Engstrom (can play both sides)

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Good report.

Here is my assessment of Mailloux's play against the Flint Firebirds.

Overall: Mailloux played a strong, game and was effective in all three zones of the ice. He played in all high leverage situations as Hunter continues to rely heavily on Mailloux in all critical in-game situations. From this observer's perspective, Mailloux was, in an understated and controlled manner, the most impressive London player in the game.

Offensively: While he was kept off the score sheet, through his skating, shooting, passing and overall offensive vision, Mailloux created multiple scoring chances. From his usual half-board position, Mailloux continues to be the player who drives the Knights' power play. Problem is, all opposing teams know this and know that if given a shooting opportunity, he's either going to score or kill their goalie. This overplaying against Mailloux opens up the ice for other players on the ice and, as he has showed against the Fireboards (and as he has shown throughout the year) Mailloux has the skill, vision and patience to find that open teammate. Mailloux showed that NHL + shooting skill multiple times and if he could hit the net more consistently, he would have at least 15 more goals this season. While Mailloux has many intriguing skills (size, reach, skating and a 100+ mph shot) to admire, his overall vision and passing skills are excellent. Like Joe Montana throwing 40 yard pinpoint passes to Jerry Rice, Mailloux easily 'completes' two zone passes to teammates and makes highly intuitive passes in the offensive zone that creates grade A scoring chances. It's a vision and passing ability that few players at the OHL level possess and I would suggest that few of Montreal's current defencemen have. That passing talent and on ice vision, in themselves make Mailloux a valuable asset. And if the Montreal brain trust somehow can't see it, I am certain other teams, with a modicum of insight, can. Talk of trading this prospect, particularly after Montreal has already absorbed and digested so much criticism by selecting Mailloux in the first place, is complete foolishness.

Defensively: While Mailloux will never be a defensive wizard, the defensive side of his game continues to mature. He no longer has a penchant for chasing the play in the defensive zone and is more apt to close the gap and force the play when such a tactic will have a positive result. Put simply, there is a greater purpose and control to his defensive game as he is now using his size and skating advantages to eliminate opposing forwards rather than adopting a stationary stance or chasing opposing forwards all over the ice. Case in point was his play when he was able to neutralize a rush by one of the OHL's fastest forwards, Amadeus Lombardi. Lombardi tried to sweep around the London Knight when Mailloux turned with Lombadi and by employing his great edge skating ability was able to squeeze the rushing forward against the boards behind the net and take the puck away. It was a play that Mailloux couldn't or wouldn't do at the start of the season. As some know, I suggested several months ago, that perhaps Mailloux's future in the NHL was as a forward. Against Flint, I had a chance to watch Mailloux play as a forward for one shift when leaving the penalty box after serving his 2 minute penalty he immediately went and played left wing. For that short shift Mailloux reminded me of the old Russian player, Alexander Yakushev. Same size, frame and skating style. How's that for a blast from the past?

Other Notes: The game also provided me with another opportunity to watch a player who first caught my eye at the most recent Prospects Game: Coulson Pitre. This kid has NHL written all over him. He has size , excellent skating, agggression and a nose for the net. Pitre has 24 goals and 34 assists in 57 games. He may be a bit of a reach to take him with Florida's 1st rounder, but if Pitre is available at the top of the second round when we are drafting, I would grab him. In my view he's as good a prospect as Beck. Maybe even better.

So do opposing forwards.
Alexander Yakushev.

Was that from the 1924-1925 season? ;)

Many years ago alot of GM's kept after Serge Savard to trade a collegiate player named Chris Chelios. I remember Savard being interviewed about this and he said- "I am not trading him until I truly know what we have in this player" (paraphrasing). I would say the same applies to Mailloux. Hughes and company don't know what they have in a player who has played less than 75 OHL games.
Ultimately, they traded him because they were worried about what they had in the person outside the rink...

Thankfully, there was no social media back then...

DinosaurBones

Sep 18, 2018
I just think that you have too many Ds playing on their offside.

Montreal basically lacks a large-bodied, shutdown RD for the top-4.

IMO, we won't keep Guhle, Matheson, Harris, Xhekaj and Hutson as LDs.

I believe that Matheson is gone in the last year of his contract (as a 32 yr-old). Unfortunately, either Harris is gone or he plays RD. I actually prefer Barron as a RD than Harris and, IMO Barron would be a puck-moving option, optimally, on a third pairing, maybe with PP time on a 2nd unit.

Guhle - Mailloux
Hutson - Shutdown, top-4 D (Grans or other)
Xhekaj - Barron/Harris
Engstrom (can play both sides)
I was really just going for the point of how promising the D look. But I dont miss games, and I have loved how X and Guhle both play on the right, and if that eases the younger guys into the league im not sure why you would be against it, that being said I do also understand where you are coming from.

Agreed Matheson could be gone deadline in his last year. I don't see Mailloux hitting top pairing level, but with the depth of the D we may not need to really call any of the pairs the "top" pair. Also I dont mind him being beside Guhle or Harris because they are reliable enough beside him. Im personally higher on Harris than Barron, but hes looked good lately.

The sure things I see sticking longer term at the very least are Guhle, Hutson, X. I do think one of Harris/Barron will be moved when its our time to make a big push, but there is a couple years to watch them grow. Mailloux is the wild card in my head but his shot power/accuracy along with Hutson on a PP is lethal so I think he'll stick. Tons of time to work on his defensive game too.
Engstrom excites me. Trudeau playing great.

D looks nasty. 3-4 years from now and were only gonna see more additions too. Its wild

Excited for the draft also we could see another stud D added aswell.

Reactions: Scriptor

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I just don't get why we are the ones who have to include better prospects than anyone else when they've bought players in this situation?

That's the question I keep asking when people throw around Beck, Mailloux, Kidney, etc.
I think it is more of an how far would you be willing to go discussion...

Reactions: rik schau

habsfan44

Jul 26, 2006
i don't see Barron going anywhere for the foreseeable future.
Me either in fact I believe we'd be fools to move him . I think we've only seen the tip of the iceberg with this guy , in my opinion there's a very good chance he turns out to be the best of the bunch .

Reactions: Hins77

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002

Brook had journeyman written all over him. He didn't pass the most basic of eye tests, regardless of his statistics. Mailloux is bigger, faster, has a better shot and is way, way more creative offensively than Brook. No one feared playing Brook at any stage of his development. Team's fear what Mailloux can bring to the game. Mailloux and Brook aren't even the same specie as players.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Brook had journeyman written all over him. He didn't pass the most basic of eye tests, regardless of his statistics. Mailloux is bigger, faster, has a better shot and is way, way more creative offensively than Brook. No one feared playing Brook at any stage of his development. Team's fear what Mailloux can bring to the game. Mailloux and Brook aren't even the same specie as players.

That's not what the general consensus was with Brook in his age 19 season. Easy to say that today though

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Id trust chester on this one

I don't have to trust chester. I know what was said about Brook on these boards in his age 19 season. Maybe Chester didn't say it but most Habs fans were high on Brook. Maybe not as high as Mailloux today but journeyman narrative from our group towards Brook in his age 19 season was very far from the general consensus.

Go look at Brook's production in his age 19 season and tell me with a straight face that it was not pumped by our herd?

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
I don't have to trust chester. I know what was said about Brook on these boards in his age 19 season. Maybe Chester didn't say it but most Habs fans were high on Brook. Maybe not as high as Mailloux today but journeyman narrative from our group towards Brook in his age 19 season was very far from the general consensus.

Go look at Brook's production in his age 19 season and tell me with a straight face that it was not pumped by our herd?
he was, I was here as well, but I think the expectation was that he'd be a jeff petry lite player, 2nd pairing 2nd PP time. But Chester has been here a while as well and his opinion doesn't need to mimic the herd to trust him. Much like WTK or Whitesnake

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton

Oh God, Brook was considered a top 10 prospect in all of hockey by some Homer's here

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Oh God, Brook was considered a top 10 prospect in all of hockey by some Homer's here

Agreed. Any fan trying to say that that didn't happen are just wrong. I was high on him but maybe not as high as others. I've learned a lot of pumping up prospects over the years.

I'm not saying Mailloux disappoints like him either. But we have to be humble on projections cause the real truth comes when they turn pro

The one thing that I noticed is some fans who have shallow pools, pump up their prospects. Fans on teams with deep pools are more fair about it. For the most part anyways. Look at how much the Leafs pump up Knies?

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas

Brook was definitely hyped and for good reason. He had a couple of excellent training camps, an excellent last season in junior where I think he had about 75 points and played a regular shift on the WJC team. I thought he was going to be a 2nd round steal. I still think he had NHL potential until he blew out his knee.
I thought the Habs had taken 2 nice D between Brook and Fleury.

Not all prospects pan out that's for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad