Prospect Info: Logan Mailloux Part 3 The Only Hockey Talk Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gainesvillain

Apr 9, 2013
George could be an effective NHL defender to be sure, but there's not a lot of high-end skill there. Can't really see him as top-4 on a NHL team.

I continue to believe that some GM will grab Oliver Bonk sooner than he is ranked on most draft lists. He is a very intriguing package.

And Dickinson....yeah. Holy moly that kid has poise for a 16 year old.

Overall, the Knights D is a treat to watch, and I agree that Mallioux's game is progressing nicely, His attention to detail on the defensive side of the game is still problematic, but man oh man can he impose his will on the game when he wants to.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Not drafting George doesn't mean the habs scouts didn't know about him or didn't like him. They preferred other prospects, and looks like they made the correct choices since those prospects have looked great this year.
I would have taken George before either Mesar or Beck.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
Overall, the Knights D is a treat to watch, and I agree that Mallioux's game is progressing nicely, His attention to detail on the defensive side of the game is still problematic, but man oh man can he impose his will on the game when he wants to.

Here is my very brief assessment of Mailloux's game against Windsor.

Overall: Mailloux played one of his more balanced games and probably one of his strongest defensive games this year. The Windsor television crew picked Mailloux as their second star of the game, commenting that Mailloux controlled the play when he was on the ice. Mailloux played in all situations and logged huge ice time and was in this writer's opinion, clearly the best player on the ice. More importantly, Mailloux's game conditioning is improving markedly as his play did not evidence any overt indicia of fatigue as the game progressed.

Offensively: All skill sets of Mailloux's offensive game ( superior skating; elite shot and high end offensive vision) were on display during the game. While Mailloux didn't score, he again led the team in shots with 6, and was a constant offensive threat all game. He made several end to end rushes that showed his ability , as the poster above noted, to 'impose his will on the game when he wants to'.

Defensively: It was Mailloux's defensive game that really caught my eye. He was often on the ice against Wright and was able to neutralize this player on several occasions including once where he was able to deliver an open ice hit that sent Wright flying. When Mailloux uses his superior size, reach and mobility to 'seal off' an opposing forward, its akin to watching an elite tackle blocking an edge rusher in football. Mailloux easily broke up multiple rushes. His agility on his skates is really underrated and his overall speed and strength will only improve exponentially as his frame fills out.

K2MyEverest

Nov 27, 2010
Montreal

Overall: Mailloux played one of his more balanced games and probably one of his strongest defensive games this year. The Windsor television crew picked Mailloux as their second star of the game, commenting that Mailloux controlled the play when he was on the ice. Mailloux played in all situations and logged huge ice time and was in this writer's opinion, clearly the best player on the ice. More importantly, Mailloux's game conditioning is improving markedly as his play did not evidence any overt indicia of fatigue as the game progressed.

Offensively: All skill sets of Mailloux's offensive game ( superior skating; elite shot and high end offensive vision) were on display during the game. While Mailloux didn't score, he again led the team in shots with 6, and was a constant offensive threat all game. He made several end to end rushes that showed his ability , as the poster above noted, to 'impose his will on the game when he wants to'.

Defensively: It was Mailloux's defensive game that really caught my eye. He was often on the ice against Wright and was able to neutralize this player on several occasions including once where he was able to deliver an open ice hit that sent Wright flying. When Mailloux uses his superior size, reach and mobility to 'seal off' an opposing forward, its akin to watching an elite tackle blocking an edge rusher in football. Mailloux easily broke up multiple rushes. His agility on his skates is really underrated and his overall speed and strength will only improve exponentially as his frame fills out.

Love your reports, thanks and keep it up

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
I really hope we start this guy in the AHL next year. I hate how we always bring kids right from their junior/college leagues right into the NHL. Sometimes it’s warranted, especially for older college players but we never use the AHL well enough in my opinion.

Mailloux should play a year in the AHL. No prospect was ever ruined by playing one year in the AHL at 20 years old. You can always bring him up half way through the year if he’s clearing dominating.

I honestly can’t remember the last time we had a legit prospect come through the AHL. And no, I don’t consider RHP, Ylonen, Belzile or Pezetta legit players. They are bottom 6. I’m talking top 6 or top 4 D. I guess Barron is the closest…

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
I really hope we start this guy in the AHL next year. I hate how we always bring kids right from their junior/college leagues right into the NHL. Sometimes it’s warranted, especially for older college players but we never use the AHL well enough in my opinion.

Mailloux should play a year in the AHL. No prospect was ever ruined by playing one year in the AHL at 20 years old. You can always bring him up half way through the year if he’s clearing dominating.

I honestly can’t remember the last time we had a legit prospect come through the AHL. And no, I don’t consider RHP, Ylonen, Belzile or Pezetta legit players. They are bottom 6. I’m talking top 6 or top 4 D. I guess Barron is the closest…
I wouldn't dismiss Ylonen's potential or status as a 'legit prospect'. Few on our current team can outskate him.

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
I wouldn't dismiss Ylonen's potential or status as a 'legit prospect'. Few on our current team can outskate him.
He’s a good skater but I kinda just see him as another player. Nothing too exciting and nothing to lock in to a top 6 role. I don’t think he’s well suited for a 4th line role so for me, it’s 3rd line or bust with Ylonen and we are pretty crowded there. Just my opinion

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
He’s a good skater but I kinda just see him as another player. Nothing too exciting and nothing to lock in to a top 6 role. I don’t think he’s well suited for a 4th line role so for me, it’s 3rd line or bust with Ylonen and we are pretty crowded there. Just my opinion
You may well be right. But I would give him a full year in the NHL before reaching any final determination on this still young and skillful player.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham

I don't want to go nuts but your description reminds me a lot of Doug Harvey. How he would control the play and lock guys up defensively and also being good offensively.

Jul 6, 2016
While I believe he will be paired up with Guhle -- it's the best complementary matchup -- I don't think they will be a first pairing.

Guhle - Mailloux would make an excellent 2nd pairing, maximizing Mailloux's offensive output, IMO.

We now need a physical, two-way, shutdown RHD who is mobile to play alongside Hutson on a future 1st pairing.

In game situations that call for more of a shutdown style, That RHD can play with Guhle to shut down opponents.
Xhekaj can play both sides.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
While I believe he will be paired up with Guhle -- it's the best complementary matchup -- I don't think they will be a first pairing.

Guhle - Mailloux would make an excellent 2nd pairing, maximizing Mailloux's offensive output, IMO.

We now need a physical, two-way, shutdown RHD who is mobile to play alongside Hutson on a future 1st pairing.

In game situations that call for more of a shutdown style, That RHD can play with Guhle to shut down opponents.

I like a top 4 of:

Guhle - Mailloux
Matheson - Barron

And then there's Hutson and Xhekaj on a 3rd pair.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
He just has few games in the NHL. Of course he's nothing too exciting. I still like what i see and after 1-2 seasons , i am sure he will be a good player; he's very fast and his shut is also good and heavy

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Guys with top 6 or top 4 potential don't tend to stay in the AHL for too long. Times have changed.

WG

Sep 9, 2008

There's always roster turnover but given how well the rookie D played, you break camp next year with:

3 vets: Matheson, Savard, Eddy. 4 young guys: Guhle, AX, Harris, Barron. Kovo and Wideman are fine as extras. That's 9 guys, no need to rush Mailloux.

Reactions: BLONG7

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
Ask yourself how many players on our team have the speed, skill and shot to replicate Ylonen’s play against the Canes where he split the defense and rang a shot off the goalpost.

Here’s my answer: none.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
There's always roster turnover but given how well the rookie D played, you break camp next year with:

3 vets: Matheson, Savard, Eddy. 4 young guys: Guhle, AX, Harris, Barron. Kovo and Wideman are fine as extras. That's 9 guys, no need to rush Mailloux.
Glad to hear he is having a good year in Jr.
Agree there is no reason to rush him at all, and assuming at this point that the league will soon be telling the habs they will actually let him play in the league within the next year or two.....
The AHL is the natural progression for him....

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
Ask yourself how many players on our team have the speed, skill and shot to replicate Ylonen’s play against the Canes where he split the defense and rang a shot off the goalpost.

Here’s my answer: none.
Thats one play. Have you seen that consistently in the NHL or even in the AHL?

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
I agree. He'd be wasted on the 4th. As for skating, he's got nhl speed, but he's not that shifty with the puck.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

They'd need like 25 injuries on defense for Mailloux to start in the NHL.

He's still very raw defensively.

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

Matthew McConaughay

May 3, 2013
They'd need like 25 injuries on defense for Mailloux to start in the NHL.

He's still very raw defensively.
delete.

Well Gallagher.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Xhekaj can play both sides.

Not very well though....that is kind of important.

He is super green and he handles the puck surprisingly well so I wouldn't write him off as a RD option down the road but he did struggle alot more on his off side.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Glad to hear he is having a good year in Jr.
Agree there is no reason to rush him at all, and assuming at this point that the league will soon be telling the habs they will actually let him play in the league within the next year or two.....
The AHL is the natural progression for him....

The league will not stand in the way of Logan that was just a shameful virtue signalling soap box moment for Bettman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad