Prospect Info: Logan Mailloux Part 3 The Only Hockey Talk Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Do they play together 5 on 5? Two undersized guys?
Yes. And they play with Ryan Hartman who is averaged size (6', 195). The size thing is blown out of proportion quite frequently. It really just depends on your talent, if you can stay injury free, and you work your ass off. Big, small whatever - those are the 3 keys to success.

Reactions: 26Mats

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Hopefully Mesar is the next Zucharello and not Sergei Samsonov when we had him or Andrighetto.

Man has Zucharello ever aged like wine. 2nd year in a row where he's scoring above point per game at 35 years of age. Previously with New York he only hit 60 points once. And he's only 5'8
He can still skate which is why he can do it.

Reactions: 26Mats

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
TSN's CHL play by play better than what they provided the Habs with last evening. :popcorn:

Just Sayin'
Compared to the usual, high school level coverage provided through Rogers' local outlets of OHL games, the production quality of last night's game was in a different 'league'.

Reactions: Rapala and Tyson

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I still don't know what he's doing defensively half the time. He just goes for skates.
Indeed there was one play in the third period where he was caught on the wrong side of the dzone he looked completely lost and took forever to get back to his position. Damn near cost them a goal. I couldn't understand his confusion not the fact that he got caught out.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
God I hope this prospect turns out. The arguments about taking a similar player with that pick instead of mailloux at the time of the draft were just so silly.

Reactions: Runner77

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
Mailloux is much better skater.
But he has to use that talent on a more consistent basis. As we saw last night, he often takes those first 2 or 3 explosive strides and then stops. Terrifically talented prospect but mystifying at times. But I remain confident that once he puts his game together he will an impactful player at the next level. No question in my mind. None at all.

Last edited:

superdee

Oct 17, 2015
I am season’s ticket holder for the London Knights. From what I have seenLogan is getting better game by game. He has scored some very important goals the last few weeks. From what I seen of Messr he would be much better off playing London. Coaching situation in Kitchener is really sketchy. McKenzie has taken over and they shit the bed in Flint. They have a boatload of talent but poor passing and receiving passes. Brutal at times.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
I still don't know what he's doing defensively half the time. He just goes for skates.
it's because half the time , he carries the puck in the offensive zone and puts point(s). I know it could be confusing when you are used to a more conservative style of defensive players. :sarcasm:

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
God I hope this prospect turns out. The arguments about taking a similar player with that pick instead of mailloux at the time of the draft were just so silly.
Doing what he's doing at this age , after 2 seasons where he nearly played is something incredible. He' s a force even if he was unable to develop his game for all that time. To me that means he's gonna be even more dominant, once he will play a lot of games.

Future first pairing of the Habs with Guhle. And a good one

Reactions: CoopersFalls

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Doing what he's doing at this age , after 2 seasons where he nearly played is something incredible. He' s a force even if he was unable to develop his game for all that time. To me that means he's gonna be even more dominant, once he will play a lot of games.

Future first pairing of the Habs with Guhle. And a good one
While I believe he will be paired up with Guhle -- it's the best complementary matchup -- I don't think they will be a first pairing.

Guhle - Mailloux would make an excellent 2nd pairing, maximizing Mailloux's offensive output, IMO.

We now need a physical, two-way, shutdown RHD who is mobile to play alongside Hutson on a future 1st pairing.

In game situations that call for more of a shutdown style, That RHD can play with Guhle to shut down opponents.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
But he has to use that talent on a more consistent basis. As we saw last night, he often takes those first 2 or 3 explosive strides and then stops. Terrifically talented prospect but mystifying at times. But I remain confident that once he puts his game together he will an impactful player at the next level. No question in my mind. None at all.
Here is my continuing assessment of Mailloux's play after watching his performance against Sarnia last night:

Overall: Mailloux played a strong all round game as Hunter used him in all high leverage situations. Mailloux was effective and impactful in all zones and displayed fluidity and and an explosive stride that will be a hallmark of his game as he progresses as a player. He clearly outplayed both Del Mastro and Kyrou, Sarnia's top defencemen.

Offensively: Without George in the Knights' lineup, Mailloux was required to carry the puck more and made several end to end rushes as he did earlier in the season. All aspects of Mailloux's skating are developing: first step quickness, straight-line speed, strength on his skates, and most importantly, lateral skating ability. As his frame fills out, Mailloux will only get faster and his on-ice presence, more imposing. All facets of Mailloux's offensive game, shooting (he had 5 shots second only to the underrated Barky's 6); passing (he made numerous creative passes, both from a stationary position or while in full flight); and offensive vision (Mailloux sees the ice as well as, or better, than most of his contemporaries that I have seen this year). As I have previously noted: Mailloux will make his mark at the next level with his offensive abilities, the greatest of which is his offensive vision.

Defensively: While he will never be a Weber -level defensive presence, Mailloux's combination of size, skating, reach and anticipation will allow him to be a passable NHL defenceman. Against Sarnia, which after their latest moves, is one of the stronger OHL teams, Mailloux played a steady game often breaking up rushes and, for the most part, making the right 'read'. He closed the gap aggressively and was not beat one on one during the game. His defensive game will always be a bit of an adventure, but with what he can and will bring offensively, its something that you will have to accept and game plan.

Other Notes: As noted, with George not playing, both Mailloux and that fine young defenceman, Sam Dickinson, had to assume greater roles for London. As the game wore on, Mailloux displayed elements of fatigue that impacted his level of play. It was most noticeable during overtime when Mailloux's usual impactful presence was missing. There is no doubt in this writer's opinion that Mailloux still lacks top level game-conditioning as a direct consequence of his limited playing time over the past 2 years. He's getting better, but he is still not there. If the Canadiens management has any insight, they should have Mailloux engage in an extensive off season training program so that the vestiges of his long period of inactivity are addressed. If this kid is prepared to engage in this level of training on his volition, then one has to question his dedication to his craft and his ultimate upside. As for Dickinson, this kid is a bona fide top ten pick in his draft year. Maybe even higher. Each game that I am watching Mailloux, Dickinson stands out. This kid is pure gold who , if eligible this year, would be first the defenceman drafted.

Last edited:

superdee

Oct 17, 2015
Here is my continuing assessment of Mailloux's play after watching his performance against Sarnia last night:

Overall: Mailloux played a strong all round game as Hunter used him in all high leverage situations. Mailloux was effective and impactful in all zones and displayed fluidity and and an explosive stride that will be a hallmark of his game as he progresses as a player. He clearly outplayed both Del Mastro and Kyrou, Sarnia's top defencemen.

Offensively: Without George in the Knights' lineup, Mailloux was required to carry the puck more and made several end to end rushes as he did earlier in the season. All aspects of Mailloux's skating are developing: first step quickness, straight-line speed, strength on his skates, and most importantly, lateral skating ability. As his frame fills out, Mailloux will only get faster and his on-ice presence, more imposing. All facets of Mailloux's offensive game, shooting (he had 5 shots second only to the underrated Barky's 6); passing (he made numerous creative passes, both from a stationary position or while in full flight); and offensive vision (Mailloux sees the ice as well as, or better, than most of his contemporaries that I have seen this year). As I have previously noted: Mailloux will make his mark at the next level with his offensive abilities, the greatest of which is his offensive vision.

Defensively: While he will never be a Weber -level defensive presence, Mailloux's combination of size, skating, reach and anticipation will allow him to be a passable NHL defenceman. Against Sarnia, which after their latest moves, is one of the stronger OHL teams, Mailloux played a steady game often breaking up rushes and, for the most part, making the right 'read'. He closed the gap aggressively and was not beat one on one during the game. His defensive game will always be a bit of an adventure, but with what he can and will bring offensively, its something that you will have to accept and game plan.

Other Notes: As noted, with George not playing, both Mailloux and that fine young defenceman, Sam Dickinson, had to assume greater roles for London. As the game wore on, Mailloux displayed elements of fatigue that impacted his level of play. It was most noticeable during overtime when Mailloux's usual impactful presence was missing. There is no doubt in this writer's opinion that Mailloux still lacks top level game-conditioning as a direct consequence of his limited playing time over the past 2 years. He's getting better, but he is still not there. If the Canadiens management has any insight, they should have Mailloux engage in an extensive off season training program so that the vestiges of his long period of inactivity are addressed. If this kid is prepared to engage in this level of training on his volition, then one has to question his dedication to his craft and his ultimate upside. As for Dickinson, this kid is a bona fide top ten pick in his draft year. Maybe even higher. Each game that I am watching Mailloux, Dickinson stands out. This kid is pure gold who , if eligible this year, would be first the defenceman drafted.
We’re you at game in London last night? Looks like a decent assessment and you and I are both smitten with Sam Dickenson. Isaiah George is dearly missed by the Knights and was a draft day steal by the Isles imho. Once he and McKinnon are back Logan won’t be over used.

Reactions: Tyson

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
He scored on a hell of a shot tonight

Here is my quick assessment of Mailloux's play against Guelph yesterday afternoon.

Overall: Mailloux continued his steady play and was, in this viewer's opinion, London's best player. I am highly impressed with Mailloux's improving skating. A good skater at the start of the season, his skating has ticked up a notch as his fluidity, first step quickness and overall lateral ability have all noticeably improved. His skating style reminds me of a lurking shark, always ready to explode. Mailloux's growing game conditioning is also noticeable. This was London third game in a row (one of the quaint peculiarities of junior hockey scheduling) and I saw little drop off in on-ice effectiveness compared to earlier in the season, when Mailloux's conditioning/stamina, was Gallagher-like in its limitations.

Offensively: Mailloux continued to display the characteristics, shot, passing and offensive vision that has allowed him to be the top scoring defenceman in the OHL. Those who question his hockey IQ , frankly do not know what they are talking about, at least offensively. He once again led the Knights in shots (5) despite the Guelph team keying on him on the power play in an effort to limit his shot. Mailloux scored one goal, hit the crossbar with a snap shot from the top of the circle on a won face-off which no one in the arena or in the television saw and had several other scoring chances. If this kid could hit the net, he'd have 40 goals by now. his shot is usually so hard that goalies rarely move. The puck either hits them, it misses or its a goal. When this kid physically fills out, not only will his skating improve but so will his shot. This could be interesting at the next level.

Defensively: As I previously noted, Mailloux will never be a Norris Trophy candidate, well at least for his defence. But last night, Mailloux was again passable against OHL level opposition. I only saw him beaten once off the rush and it happened while he was playing his 'wrong' side on defence. Mailloux is big, can skate and is an overall 'smart' player. His prowess is offence, but he should have enough skill and presence to play adequately defensively at the NHL level, particularly when he fills out.

Other Notes: Mailloux was again paired with Sam Dickinson on defence. I continue to be highly impressed with this still 16 year old player. Think Sergachev, with much better skating. Earlier, I opined if Dickinson was draft eligible this year he would be the first defenceman drafted. I would suggest, if draft eligible, he would go in the top 5. Think what this player will look like in two years. Also, Isaiah George missed another game due to injuries. His continuing absence is clearly noticeable. London's strength are its top 4 defencemen: Mailloux, George, Bonk and Dickinson. They will only go as far as these 4 excellent defencemen can carry them as London's forwards are largely non-descript. I'm still mystified how our supposed scouts missed the boat on George. He's an elite skater and tough as nails. When our scouts went to follow up on Mailloux, did they not notice one of the fastest and most effective player on the ice? What were these geniuses looking at? It's incomprehensible to someone who manages a large sport organization and employs a large number of scouts.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
I'm still mystified how our supposed scouts missed the boat on George. He's an elite skater and tough as nails. When our scouts went to follow up on Mailloux, did they not notice one of the fastest and most effective player on the ice? What were these geniuses looking at? It's incomprehensible to someone who manages a large sport organization and employs a large number of scouts.

Not drafting George doesn't mean the habs scouts didn't know about him or didn't like him. They preferred other prospects, and looks like they made the correct choices since those prospects have looked great this year.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
I guess they could have picked George ahead of Vinzenz Rohrer, but all other previous picks are more interesting at this very moment (Slaf, Mesar, Beck, Hutson, Rohrer, Engstrom).

Then again, they may have felt they had enough defensemen in the system and preferred to pick a forward in that slot, which is reasonnable. Montreal already was quite deep in defensemen before the draft, even more so after.

I have not been that impressed with Rohrer this year, but he has a slight build, so maybe he will improve a lot when he fills out. We will see over time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad