Prospect Info: Logan Mailloux Part 3 The Only Hockey Talk Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Agreed. We are discussing potential. The team simply chose a high ceiling power forward which are perhaps more difficult to find than a RD prospect such as Nemec. As good as Mailloux is projected to be, a high ceiling RD is still a critical need, imo, and, to my very limited knowledge, there's no Nemec or Jiricek in the draft this year or next. Is Mailloux that player? If not, how to address this?

Next two drafts are very important for us. So we are going to have to try to hit with a later pick in this draft or try go get that D in the next draft.

This is why I have no issues at all trading the Panthers pick for Dubois. Finding a 2C, top pairing D, and a goalie are three big needs that may take a while. When you can fill in one, do it.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Next two drafts are very important for us. So we are going to have to try to hit with a later pick in this draft or try go get that D in the next draft.

This is why I have no issues at all trading the Panthers pick for Dubois. Finding a 2C, top pairing D, and a goalie are three big needs that may take a while. When you can fill in one, do it.

We may have our top 2c's in Dach and Suzuki. But adding Dubois who could either give us 3 great C's or he or Dach could be big, good first line wingers, is what you'd only dream of accomplishing with the Panthers pick.

The debate is: how confident are you that Dubois's coming anyways? If you think for sure you can get him for free, keep the pick.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
We may have our top 2c's in Dach and Suzuki. But adding Dubois who could either give us 3 great C's or he or Dach could be big, good first line wingers, is what you'd only dream of accomplishing with the Panthers pick.

The debate is: how confident are you that Dubois's coming anyways? If you think for sure you can get him for free, keep the pick.

I'm not stopping at just Suzuki and Dach. If I have a chance to add Dubois, I'm doing it. Getting him for free is another option as a UFA but it's one year later. That comes with risks as well.

We need more pieces than just Suzuki and Dach and Dach to me is a puck possession winger who can play center. Dach on Dubois's wing is a good thing for me.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I'm not stopping at just Suzuki and Dach. If I have a chance to add Dubois, I'm doing it. Getting him for free is another option as a UFA but it's one year later. That comes with risks as well.

We need more pieces than just Suzuki and Dach and Dach to me is a puck possession winger who can play center. Dach on Dubois's wing is a good thing for me.

I hear you about wanting to get Dubois early. But even if HuGo are ready to move the Oanther's pock, or even Slaf, or eve our 1st, the Jets don't want futures. They want to win now. You'll need to finally 3rd team that is rebuilding, wants a future, and is willing to give up a prine offensive player, like Chicago was with Debrincat.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
I hear you about wanting to get Dubois early. But even if HuGo are ready to move the Oanther's pock, or even Slaf, or eve our 1st, the Jets don't want futures. They want to win now. You'll need to finally 3rd team that is rebuilding, wants a future, and is willing to give up a prine offensive player, like Chicago was with Debrincat.

The thing with that is Dubois wants put of Winnipeg that is guaranteed. So unless he is traded to a team he is willing to sign with he is a rental and will get futures cause that's what contenders pay for rentals.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

We are not trading our 1st or Slaf. We are using the Trouba leverage card. We talked about this before... you're ignoring circumstance. Jets took futures in the Trouba trade and they were more contenders then vs who they are now.

Jets are not in the drivers seat on this one bud. Rethink that through

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The thing with that is Dubois wants put of Winnipeg that is guaranteed. So unless he is traded to a team he is willing to sign with he is a rental and will get futures cause that's what contenders pay for rentals.

Agreed. I tried to explain that to him like 100 times now. Habs are going to use the leverage if we have it and if we do, we use the Trouba trade value. He had a 50 pts season with one RFA year left and the Jets were contenders then too! Was forced to take what the Rangers were willing to offer.

Reactions: HabzSauce

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
We are not trading our 1st or Slaf. We are using the Trouba leverage card. We talked about this before... you're ignoring circumstance. Jets took futures in the Trouba trade and they were more contenders then vs who they are now.

Jets are not in the drivers seat on this one bud. Rethink that through

Well the Trouba leverage card matmy present itself. But it hasn't yet.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Well the Trouba leverage card matmy present itself. But it hasn't yet.

Yes but it's tracking that way and that's where we use the leverage (if it's there). If it's not there, we consider waiting a year. It's not that hard to comprehend. We are not getting in a bidding war so talking about that is pointless. Naming our 1st or Slaf is not something any one of us want to do so spare us with that narrative.

It has very large % that it's a Trouba situation BTW. You seem to want to brush that under the rug and I bet you want to do that on purpose cause you prefer to sign him for free. I smell what you are cooking ;). There are risks to trading him (Trouba trade) and there are risks to waiting one extra year. Lets not pretend there are no risks in either situation.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021

PLD Dach and Dlaf would be a POSSESSION LINE FROM HELL haha.

JC Superstar

Aug 7, 2013
With Savard, Kovacevic, Barron and Harris as a fill in on the right side for a few games, I can wait for Mailloux and feel no need to draft for position. I'd rather go for BPA and cushion the transition with players like Wideman or Bowey in case of injury.

That said, this draft has talent at forward and at 6 to 8, looks like better players than RHP.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Something that can be taught and learned.
The elite skills he possesses is another matter.
Defensive IQ is not something that easy to taught and learn like some seem to think, especially for a Dmen. I'm not that sure Mailloux will be able to have that. Didn't see improvement in that part of the game since last year

Reactions: Rapala

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015
Defensive IQ is not something that easy to taught and learn like some seem to think, especially for a Dmen. I'm not that sure Mailloux will be able to have that. Didn't see improvement in that part of the game since last year
Since last year? He played 12 games (then injured) after missing the entire previous year!. Let's give him a full season before ordering his "bust" label jersey.

Reactions: MasterD

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Yeah I love how that statement gets thrown out there all the time and it couldn't be further from the truth. How many players have never learned how to play defense. :laugh: Case in point that league leader Erik Karlsson. What you can do is teach them how to cut down on blatant errors and hope the Oside comes out on top.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad