Prospect Info: Logan Mailloux Part 3 The Only Hockey Talk Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
As I said, wishful thinking. The list features some great young defensemen but none are elite. Is there enough depth and quality in the org now to acquire a significant player if the opportunity arises?

Nemec is not elite yet either. He's got potential and until that yields actual results in the NHL, it's hope he reaches it.

Bob said it best. The last draft projected to be 2nd tier type talent. Nemec is not better than Guhle and Xhekaj today and who knows who's better between Barron, Nemec, and Mailloux.

I don't hate Nemec. He's showing good maturity and good development but lets not peg him as a sure shot top pairing guy on D any more than Slaf is a dynamic top 6F.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Was replying to person who said Nemec never out produced Slaf, which was not true. Didn't say that was the reason why I don't think Slaf would produce more than Nemec in AHL.

Nemec just seems more accustomed to small ice vs Slaf to me at 18. Do you really think it's shocking if Slaf wasn't able to produce at 40 point rate in AHL based on what we saw? Nemec went 2nd overall for a reason, he's a beast and on another level than Mailloux, there's nothing wrong with that.
Its really tough to project AHL scoring versus NHL scoring.

Many players totally kills the AHL and are over a PPG but can barely do anything in the NHL. See Anthony Richard for example. And there are many many many more examples.

We don't know what Slaf would have done at the AHL level. Maybe he would produce less than Nemec, maybe he would be too strong for the league. Impossible to know.

Despite it being a disappointment for a 1st overall. Playing in the NHL at 18 years old and scoring 10 points in 39 games is nothing to spite at.

NHL plugs like Drouin, Dadonov or Armia (who produce at a similar rate than Slaf) would totally kill the AHL.

kyne

Oct 24, 2007
Nemec is not elite yet either. He's got potential and until that yields actual results in the NHL, it's hope he reaches it.

Bob said it best. The last draft projected to be 2nd tier type talent. Nemec is not better than Guhle and Xhekaj today and who knows who's better between Barron, Nemec, and Mailloux.

I don't hate Nemec. He's showing good maturity and good development but lets not peg him as a sure shot top pairing guy on D any more than Slaf is a dynamic top 6F.
Agreed. We are discussing potential. The team simply chose a high ceiling power forward which are perhaps more difficult to find than a RD prospect such as Nemec. As good as Mailloux is projected to be, a high ceiling RD is still a critical need, imo, and, to my very limited knowledge, there's no Nemec or Jiricek in the draft this year or next. Is Mailloux that player? If not, how to address this?

Last edited:

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Agreed. We are discussing potential. The team simply chose a high ceiling power forward which are perhaps more difficult to find than a RD prospect such as Nemec. As good as Mailloux is projected to be, a high ceiling RD is still a critical need, imo, and, to my very limited knowledge, there's no Nemec or Jiricek in the draft this year or next. Is Mailloux that player? If not, how to address this?
I believe Reinbacher would be in the discussion with Nemec or Jiricek?

He has a similar season in a pro league that is also simar to the czech or slovak league

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Was replying to person who said Nemec never out produced Slaf, which was not true. Didn't say that was the reason why I don't think Slaf would produce more than Nemec in AHL.

Nemec just seems more accustomed to small ice vs Slaf to me at 18. Do you really think it's shocking if Slaf wasn't able to produce at 40 point rate in AHL based on what we saw? Nemec went 2nd overall for a reason, he's a beast and on another level than Mailloux, there's nothing wrong with that.

So Nemec, Jiricek, Wright, and even late 1st round pick Kulich are all able to produce at a 40+ pt rate, but the forward who was picked 1st overall wouldn't be able to?

Slaf would most likely be near ppg if he played in the ahl. It's laughable that you think he would struggle to produce there.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

I'm not sure how you can reasonably draw that conclusion.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal

Many players totally kills the AHL and are over a PPG but can barely do anything in the NHL. See Anthony Richard for example. And there are many many many more examples.

We don't know what Slaf would have done at the AHL level. Maybe he would produce less than Nemec, maybe he would be too strong for the league. Impossible to know.

Despite it being a disappointment for a 1st overall. Playing in the NHL at 18 years old and scoring 10 points in 39 games is nothing to spite at.

NHL plugs like Drouin, Dadonov or Armia (who produce at a similar rate than Slaf) would totally kill the AHL.
With all his injuries history, Drouin is more an UNPLUGGED then a plug . Hockey cardiogram looks like a flat line right now.
Where are his defenders now ?
FP7_g32XEAMmR4p.jpg

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
So Nemec, Jiricek, Wright, and even late 1st round pick Kulich are all able to produce at a 40+ pt rate, but the forward who was picked 1st overall wouldn't be able to?

Slaf would most likely be near ppg if he played in the ahl. It's laughable that you think he would struggle to produce there.
Slaf would probably be close to be a PPG player in the AHL. This would not to be a high expectation. I mean, after all, this is a first pick overall. If you draft him and you think he won’t become a PPG in the AHL at the beginning. This is clearly not the right player to select at first oa. Even a dman like Jiricek is able to produce at that range. Nemec is more a defensive dman, he has a good ratio +\-. This is the kind of dman who numbers will grow when he is getting older and stronger. Imagine, instead of the AHL, he could play in the CHL for 2 years. He would just destroy it.

Last edited:

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013

Not really, if a player isnt close to be ppg under 20/21 years old, he won’t become more than a fringer nhl player. Mature guys like Anrhomy Richard produce at that ramge isnt really spectacular. His body is on his prime and he is playing against few rookies, several grinders and some vets.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Some think Pellikka is a top-4 RHD in the making?

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world
Not really, if a player isnt close to be ppg under 20/21 years old, he won’t become more than a fringer nhl player. Mature guys like Anrhomy Richard produce at that ramge isnt really spectacular. His body is on his prime and he is playing against few rookies, several grinders and some vets.

AHL scoring/age is not a definitive measure of NHL success.

You can take Danault and Hudon as concrete examples. Danault's best year in the AHL was 38 points in 70 games at 21-22 years old; whereas Hudon had 57 in 75 at 20, and 53 in 67 at 21.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Reinbacher you'd be looking at Seider.. someone from a non-traditional hockey country who has been seen as a first round defenseman by virtue of playing in a pro league in Europe that continuously gets more hype throughout the year by showing more.

I don't think he has the offensive tools that Jiricek has.. but he does look a lot like Seider, big rangy defenseman with some offense but not an elite tool that you can say is gonna create a shit load of offense in his prime.

He's a great candidate to be an all situations defenseman who can play 30 minutes and let Hutson go wild.

I want Reinbacher so bad. I'm almost at the pint where if we aren't top 5 maybe even top 4 we should take him.

We already first line winger in CC + Slaf should be a top 6 forward + two top 6 centres in Suzuki + Dach. + the PLD rumors. Even if we don't get PLD we need 2 top 6 wingers (Farrel, Roy, Mesar, Heineman, Florida pick, UFA) you can find those players.

But if we get Reinbacher

Guhle - Reinbacher
Xhekaj - Mailloux
Hutson - Barron
Harris

Guhle - Reinbacher in their prime should be an elite shutdown pairing that also provides okay offense. Then Mailloux + Hutson can do some damage.

Reactions: Redux91

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Some think Pellikka is a top-4 RHD in the making?
Definitely. Looks like a lundkvist liljgren mix.

I want Reinbacher so bad. I'm almost at the pint where if we aren't top 5 maybe even top 4 we should take him.

We already first line winger in CC + Slaf should be a top 6 forward + two top 6 centres in Suzuki + Dach. + the PLD rumors. Even if we don't get PLD we need 2 top 6 wingers (Farrel, Roy, Mesar, Heineman, Florida pick, UFA) you can find those players.

But if we get Reinbacher

Guhle - Reinbacher
Xhekaj - Mailloux
Hutson - Barron
Harris

Guhle - Reinbacher in their prime should be an elite shutdown pairing that also provides okay offense. Then Mailloux + Hutson can do some damage.
Guhle Reinbacher would be fun to watch for a lot of years. If outside top 4 I would be on Reinbacher train.

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018

You cant put Jiricek´s name in the same post with other prospects, he is from another galaxy. I´ve just watched him yesterday after he returned from sickness he can do it all by himself.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
True enough. It is better to be aware of it than not.

The only part I disagree with is Harris not being here longterm really. I see him baving a pretty long career, hopefully qirh a good chunk of it in Montreal.

But here also, "rarely right, but not unique" can apply to either of us.

I just worry about the size factor, if Hutson makes it. I'm not sure our dcore will be optimized by having two of the three pairs with an undersized dman.

But we'll see how Harris progresses and deals with the physicality as he matures physically and gets more NHL experience and savy.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
19 G in 42 games. Damn
Here’s my short assessment of Mailloux’s play against Guelph last night.

After a period of time when Mailloux’s overall play could at best be described as lethargic, the snap in his game returned last night and Mailloux was a factor in all three zones. In fact, he was clearly the most noticeable player in the game for both teams.

Overall: The fluidity in Mailloux’s skating returned last night which allowed him to make several end to end rushes, avoid forecheckers and exit the zone with speed and control and use his speed, reach and anticipation to step up and sweep the neutral zone like a free safety in football. Interestingly, and correctly, the Guelph announcers thought Mailloux’s play warranted his being selected the game’s first star. He was named the games second star.

Offensively: Last night’s performance provided ample proof of Mailloux’s huge offensive potential and why in a number of years he will be regarded as a steal having been selected 31st overall. Mailloux’s enormous offensive potential is based on a combination of his skating ability, size, vision and skill level. It was encouraging to see Mailloux effortlessly accelerate out of the defensive zone and create maximum pressure on the defence. His threat to go end to end will have to be addressed by opponents and will open up options for teammates and make entries into the offensive zone that much easier. When he joins the the Canadiens he will provide the team with another elite offensive skating option from the backend ( joining Matheson and Guhle) making Montreal’s overall offensive capabilities much more difficult to defend and counter. I have often commented on Mailloux’s shot: its already at a high NHL level and will only get harder as his lanky frame fills out. While Mailloux employs a shoot first mentality, (he once again led the team in shots with 5 last night) he has the vision and creativity to find an open man when teams overplay him. His goal totals this year would be much higher if he played with more skilled players who had the ability to recognize opportunities when Mailloux is wide open for a pass. That won’t be an issue in a few years when he has Suzuki, Caufield and Hutson playing with him. Probably the most impressive skill that Mailloux displays is his passing. Last night he made numerous two zone passes that led to scoring chances. His passing is becoming more subtle as the season proceeds. He now feathers passes when needed and has an uncanny ability to pass to areas allowing the receiver to skate into the pass at full speed. Its an excellent example of this players high end vision.

Defensively: This area of Mailloux’s game still must be considered as a work in progress. While he made no serious gaffs last night, the same snap and vision he shows offensively is not replicated by Mailloux in the defensive zone. Mailloux relies too heavily on his reach and sweep check and often fails to close the gap on attacking players. Also someone has to tell this player to stop trying to play goalie when defending as he often becomes stationary in the defensive zone going down on one knee in an attempt to block a shot or pass. That may work in OHL and in ball hockey, but if he plays like this in the NHL he will be exploited and even Mailloux’s immense offensive potential won’t cover / hide / make up for that weakness.

Last edited:

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
Habs slowly integrating Mailloux more and more in the team. He just did an interview with Anthony Martineau from TVA Sports.

Honestly nothing novel, but cool to just learn more about him outside of what he's done in the past (not saying that we should forget it either).

Some highlights:
- One of the most surprising facts was learning that he's actually anglophone (just thought he was more francophone cause of the name), but understands french and can speak french as well.
- Has a lot of confidence in him since he sees himself as the next "offensive defenseman" for the habs.
- Says that he wants to improve his defense and specifically things like gap control and defensive reads.
- Doesn't think he "struggles" defensively, but definitely thinks he can improve in that area.
- Not afraid to be physical and protect his teammates.
- Was happy to hear the kind words from Frankie Bouillon and wants to fight for a spot next year.

Edit: Obviously @Adam Michaels beats me to it 😂
He’s got a huge neck. I’m sure that that boy is strong. Fact that he speaks french and seems to have a good/positive personality will also help.

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
I'd like to point out that unless you take French immersion, what you learn in French is honestly the same from about grade 4/5until you no longer have to take it after grade 9.

You basically learn the basics. And by basics I mean shit you would never, ever use.

This is funny and sums it up.

Watched for about 1 minute. Funny. But, 90% of the sentence you read as a child you will never use. They are not meant to be used. They are meant to teach you language. I have never slipped into conversation “Do you like green eggs and ham?” But I have used “Do you like X”. In the sentence the comedian use he learnt “the [noun1] is [preposition] the [noun2]”, which most ppl have used thousands of times in their lives. But funny all the same. Comedians are meant to make you laugh and not to be policymakers for education lol.

Love Mailloux’s franglais. He is missing vocab which he will pickup over time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad