Prospect Info: Logan Mailloux Part 3 The Only Hockey Talk Thread

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I don't know you but I have opinions to which I say I am rarely right. You can always hit the ignore button.
No, you wont land on my ignore list. You didn't insulted me and you don't have a bad political agenda like those who are on my IL. Reading opinions that can differ from the norm is welcome, when questoning can bring a superior look at facts. As long as it's respectful and not hatred. This board was all agree on things that were just wrong with time, I think someone who admitt he was wrong is showing humility and he is on the way on not repeating mistakes.

My precedent was some kind of a wink, an irony. You must know it. ;)

Reactions: jrom and Tyson

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
No, you wont land on my ignore list. You didn't insulted me and you don't have a bad political agenda like those who are on my IL. Reading opinions that can differ from the norm is welcome, when questoning can bring a superior look at facts. As long as it's respectful and not hatred. This board was all agree on things that were just wrong with time, I think someone who admitt he was wrong is showing humility and he is on the way on not repeating mistakes.

My precedent was some kind of a wink, an irony. You must know it. ;)
Roger that.
This board allows me to escape real world challenges we all face.
When I post it is a fan with an opinion that has no backing but my passion for this team.

Thanks for your reply.

kyne

Oct 24, 2007
Guhle LD
Hutson LD
Xhekaj LD
Harris LD
Matheson LD
Struble LD

Mailloux RD
Barron RD

Gonna be interesting to see how management will handle our def going forward
Any chance we could trade one or any combination of these for someone like Nemec? I know, wishful thinking...

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Guhle LD
Hutson LD
Xhekaj LD
Harris LD
Matheson LD
Struble LD

Mailloux RD
Barron RD

Gonna be interesting to see how management will handle our def going forward

Guhle has played on the right side in the NHL and didn't skip a beat, while Harris spent a lot of time on the right side in NCAA. Kovacevic is also still pretty young, cheap and RHD as well.

kyne

Oct 24, 2007
Why stop at Nemec when you can get Makar instead?
As I said, wishful thinking. The list features some great young defensemen but none are elite. Is there enough depth and quality in the org now to acquire a significant player if the opportunity arises?

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Just watch Mailloux's 12-minute or so interview, his first in depth interview since he was selected by the Habs.

One thing that stands out is that the young man is extremely confident, but doesn't come across as cocky or belligerent in any form whatsoever.

It takes courage to scramble in French the way he did at the end of the interview. Despite the predominant Franglais when he went into details with his answers, he was actually understandable and interesting in his delivery and through the content of his answers.

Kudos to the kid who, remarkably, doesn't have that much of a background speaking the language (a few years at school until Grade 8). Keeping in mind that he's only 19 and started practicing again when he was drafted by the Habs, it's not that long ago that he stopped speaking French in school.

He speaks better already than many I know who took French classes throughout high school. I suspect that they (he and his sister) cared somewhat about the language because it's part of his heritage on his father's side.

I like the way he interjected and said he doesn't think he is struggling defensively, but added that he can still definitely improve his defensive reads and his gap control for the next level.

He talks about needing to work hard, but clearly wants to be the missing offensive D for the Habs.
I'd like to point out that unless you take French immersion, what you learn in French is honestly the same from about grade 4/5until you no longer have to take it after grade 9.

You basically learn the basics. And by basics I mean shit you would never, ever use.

This is funny and sums it up.

Reactions: Scriptor

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
True enough. It is better to be aware of it than not.

The only part I disagree with is Harris not being here longterm really. I see him baving a pretty long career, hopefully qirh a good chunk of it in Montreal.

But here also, "rarely right, but not unique" can apply to either of us.
They may get more trade value for flashier guys and keep Harris.

kyne

Oct 24, 2007
Lol no they would ask for Slafkovsky
I'm still not completely sold on Slafkovsky. I am on Nemec though. The Devils have a good one. Zero chance they give him up. I feel the team needs that one missing piece on defense that might be worth paying the price.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
The area I would ponder about is did he already know about his flaws without anybody telling him? Those are the type of players who end up being good NHL player. So how obsessive is he at improving? That is a key area and development coaches can only help so far. Someone like Suzuki didn't need anybody telling him he needed to get physically stronger in his development.

Regardless, I like what he is saying and what focus he has. We will see how this turns out over time.
I don't know where you get this, but Suzuki was sent down with the mission to work on increasing the pace of his game. That directive came from the team and kudos to Suzuki for making it happen.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
I'd like to point out that unless you take French immersion, what you learn in French is honestly the same from about grade 4/5until you no longer have to take it after grade 9.

You basically learn the basics. And by basics I mean shit you would never, ever use.

This is funny and sums it up.

English language is a lot more easy to learn because you just need few words to get a conversation ;
F**k, f**king , f**ker, mother-fu***er, bitch and shit :snide:

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I'm still not completely sold on Slafkovsky. I am on Nemec though. The Devils have a good one. Zero chance they give him up. I feel the team needs that one missing piece on defense that might be worth paying the price.
Nemec is not guaranteed to be any better than 2 or 3 of Habs current prospect d.

Reactions: Kojo

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Nemec is not guaranteed to be any better than 2 or 3 of Habs current prospect d.
Maybe not guaranteed, but safe bet to be much better. It's not even guaranteed Slafkovsky would produce as much offensively in AHL as Nemec did.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
Maybe not guaranteed, but safe bet to be much better. It's not even guaranteed Slafkovsky would produce as much offensively in AHL as Nemec did.
Why are you bringing Slaf into this? Slaf has produced more than Nemec at every level.

Right-now on a redraft I would pick Slaf first, Hutson second. Why are we talking about this stuff in a Mailloux thread?

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't know where you get this, but Suzuki was sent down with the mission to work on increasing the pace of his game. That directive came from the team and kudos to Suzuki for making it happen.

You're overlooking what the player knows and thinking all gains come from a coach. It's not like that. Most of the gains in development is how obsessive the player is at improving and how smart they are to identify it. Development coaches can and will help but I see many fans over using that narrative.

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
Nemec/Jiricek will be the best players from the 22 draft imo but NJ needs a Slafkovsky type more then Nemec,i have no doubt they would of picked Juraj if they had the 1st overall pick

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Why are you bringing Slaf into this? Slaf has produced more than Nemec at every level.

Right-now on a redraft I would pick Slaf first, Hutson second. Why are we talking about this stuff in a Mailloux thread?
I replied to a post mentioning Nemec is not guaranteed to be better in a Mailloux thread. I'm bringing up Slaf as Nemec is arguably safer than him so what does that say about putting Nemec down. Nemec out produced Slaf in 2021 u20 WJC, why is it shocking if he out produced him in AHL. It's not guaranteed that Slaf would be able to put up like 20 points in 40 AHL games at 18 years old.

No comment on Hutson being your #2 overall pick in a 2022 redraft.

Mailloux looking good but feel like putting him in the same level as a Nemec is far too premature.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
I replied to a post mentioning Nemec is not guaranteed to be better in a Mailloux thread. I'm bringing up Slaf as Nemec is arguably safer than him so what does that say about putting Nemec down. Nemec out produced Slaf in 2021 u20 WJC, why is it shocking if he out produced him in AHL. It's not guaranteed that Slaf would be able to put up like 20 points in 40 AHL games at 18 years old.

No comment on Hutson being your #2 overall pick in a 2022 redraft.

Mailloux looking good but feel like putting him in the same level as a Nemec is far too premature.

That's an awful argument you're making. Because Nemec scored more pts than Slaf when they played in the wjc two years ago, he's a better offensive player?

I guess if Mesar played in the ahl this season, he would've produced at a higher rate than Nemec since he scored more pts in the wjc.

And obviously, Slaf severely outproducing Nemec in the Olympics + World Championship last year means nothing.

Reactions: SlafySZN

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
That's an awful argument you're making. Because Nemec scored more pts than Slaf when they played in the wjc two years ago, he's a better offensive player?

I guess if Mesar played in the ahl this season, he would've produced at a higher rate than Nemec since he scored more pts in the wjc.

And obviously, Slaf severely outproducing Nemec in the Olympics + World Championship last year means nothing.
Was replying to person who said Nemec never out produced Slaf, which was not true. Didn't say that was the reason why I don't think Slaf would produce more than Nemec in AHL.

Nemec just seems more accustomed to small ice vs Slaf to me at 18. Do you really think it's shocking if Slaf wasn't able to produce at 40 point rate in AHL based on what we saw? Nemec went 2nd overall for a reason, he's a beast and on another level than Mailloux, there's nothing wrong with that.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $14,538.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $50.00