Prospect Info: Logan Mailloux Part 3 The Only Hockey Talk Thread

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Because of size, we might only be able to keep one of Harris and Hutson anyways...

It's going to be interesting to see what HuGo are able to do with all these LD assets. Great that they were able to trade Romy for a C. But he had a pedigree after earning honors at consecutive world juniors and had established himself in the NHL before he was able to be moved for such a high return.
If Hughes is going to deal major or significant assets, it only makes sense that he deal from a position of strength since clearly there is an organizational imbalance skewed in favor of LD.

Plus, even if some flame out, we still have excess. Reality is that they’ll never be able to play all of them even if their ETAs are staggered.

Last edited:

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
If Hughes is going to deal major or significant assets, it only makes sense that he deal from a position of strength since clearly there is an organizational imbalance skewed in favor of LD.

Plus, even if some flame out, we still have excess. Reality is that they’ll never be able to play all of them even if their ETA is staggered.
Even if the Habs had 10 future Sure Fire NHL prospects they would have to move some.
That's why I don't see guys like Harris here longterm. I have been wrong most of the time and I could be wrong again.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Its a cool stat but also very unfair since he is in his D2 season lol
come on ! he didn't play hockey for a long period , so in fact, his stats are even more impressive because he couldn't develop his skills.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Habs slowly integrating Mailloux more and more in the team. He just did an interview with Anthony Martineau from TVA Sports.

Honestly nothing novel, but cool to just learn more about him outside of what he's done in the past (not saying that we should forget it either).

Some highlights:
- One of the most surprising facts was learning that he's actually anglophone (just thought he was more francophone cause of the name), but understands french and can speak french as well.
- Has a lot of confidence in him since he sees himself as the next "offensive defenseman" for the habs.
- Says that he wants to improve his defense and specifically things like gap control and defensive reads.
- Doesn't think he "struggles" defensively, but definitely thinks he can improve in that area.
- Not afraid to be physical and protect his teammates.
- Was happy to hear the kind words from Frankie Bouillon and wants to fight for a spot next year.

Edit: Obviously @Adam Michaels beats me to it 😂
Adam Michaels beats everybody , he's the Hulk of this forum

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
So refreshing to have so much young talent on the back end .We are arguing on pairings because of the amount of talent.
Guhle,Barron ,Xhekaj,Harris,Kovesevic,Hutson, Mailloux,Trudeau .
Engstrom making his case to make it 9 good young D in the system. Struble, Fairbrother, and Norlinder will all make their case in Laval next year to also be added to the conversation. Then there's Beaudin, Tourigny, and Nurmi...

That's a lot of good D prospects.

Habs slowly integrating Mailloux more and more in the team. He just did an interview with Anthony Martineau from TVA Sports.

Honestly nothing novel, but cool to just learn more about him outside of what he's done in the past (not saying that we should forget it either).

Some highlights:
- One of the most surprising facts was learning that he's actually anglophone (just thought he was more francophone cause of the name), but understands french and can speak french as well.
- Has a lot of confidence in him since he sees himself as the next "offensive defenseman" for the habs.
- Says that he wants to improve his defense and specifically things like gap control and defensive reads.
- Doesn't think he "struggles" defensively, but definitely thinks he can improve in that area.
- Was happy to hear the kind words from Frankie Bouillon and wants to fight for a spot next year.

Great summary though

superdee

Oct 17, 2015
He is a really good kid that made an stupid immature mistake at 17. I love the fact that he accepted his mistake, plead guilty, apologized and has reached out and gotten help. I got to meet his parents at a Knight’s road game. His dad Jeff is a retired police officer and a really good guy. I admire the way he and his agent and Logan decided to do things as an adult and not hide under young offenders umbrella. Shows class and good character. A mistake is only a mistake until it is corrected.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
Even if the Habs had 10 future Sure Fire NHL prospects they would have to move some.
That's why I don't see guys like Harris here longterm. I have been wrong most of the time and I could be wrong again.
I liked your message for the last sentence.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

Some highlights:

When Martineau asked him if he had a hidden hobby, I was sure he was going to say photography.

Too early?

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
Fun part of being a fan. I am rarely right but I am not unique.
True enough. It is better to be aware of it than not.

The only part I disagree with is Harris not being here longterm really. I see him baving a pretty long career, hopefully qirh a good chunk of it in Montreal.

But here also, "rarely right, but not unique" can apply to either of us.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
True enough. It is better to be aware of it than not.

The only part I disagree with is Harris not being here longterm really. I see him baving a pretty long career, hopefully qirh a good chunk of it in Montreal.

But here also, "rarely right, but not unique" can apply to either of us.
I think Harris is a great skater and also very smart. I hope he is here longterm. Time will tell.
Cheers 🍻

NewDef

Nov 2, 2015
I think Harris is a great skater and also very smart. I hope he is here longterm. Time will tell.
Cheers 🍻
He plays well, makes few mistakes and is learning a LOT this year. Clever kid. Now, being a bit smaller than the Guhle, Barron, Xhekaj, Kovasevic, Mailloux, Strubble and a few of the other is not such an impediment (he's 5'11' not 5'9) however he may be the one moved for assets when Hutson comes in.

To me having him mature 2 more years with the habs is excellent as he gains experience and value and plays well enough for the time. Then when we know better where we stand we may fill in hole with a quality mature forward by trading a quality mature D in excess.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Of the four goals that Mailloux scored in London’s last two two games, his shorthanded goal against Saginaw, a wrist shot from the point, was the most impressive. Few NHL players, let alone OHL players, have the ability to overpower a goalie using just a wrist shot from the point. When Mailloux arrives in Montreal, he will be bringing the best wrist shot from the point since Malakhov played with the team. Mailloux will be a real weapon that all opposing teams will have to account for.
Absolutely agree that this BIG boy is a real offensive threat, but, as far as the wrist shot being so overpowering to beat Gs, we are still talking about OHL Gs, not top NHL Gs.

We'll see, along with a lot of other attributes, what translates to the NHL and what doesn't, but he's got great potential to be an offensive threat, for sure.

Now, I'm curious to have your opinion on this:

Are we talking about a Petry-like 2nd pairing D who can be physical and be an offensive threat racking up 40+ points once at the NHL level, but also having occasional defensive brain farts and being easily exposed defensively at times?

Is Mailloux also likely to become a turnover machine at the NHL level?

Just questions for those who have seen him play most.

Mark Streit had a good distance snap shot
as well and iirc Markov.
Markov had an accurate writer, from what I recall and was most effective when he slid down towards the opposing net, because he could either wrist it or tape to tape it to a teammate cross crease. Tough call for any G trying to jump the gun and cover the lateral pass.

He should have used his wrister more when he was playing in Sweden, but let's not dwell on the past. It's a deadly wrister.
Honestly, that's the humour of a Grade 6er.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Just watch Mailloux's 12-minute or so interview, his first in depth interview since he was selected by the Habs.

One thing that stands out is that the young man is extremely confident, but doesn't come across as cocky or belligerent in any form whatsoever.

It takes courage to scramble in French the way he did at the end of the interview. Despite the predominant Franglais when he went into details with his answers, he was actually understandable and interesting in his delivery and through the content of his answers.

Kudos to the kid who, remarkably, doesn't have that much of a background speaking the language (a few years at school until Grade 8). Keeping in mind that he's only 19 and started practicing again when he was drafted by the Habs, it's not that long ago that he stopped speaking French in school.

He speaks better already than many I know who took French classes throughout high school. I suspect that they (he and his sister) cared somewhat about the language because it's part of his heritage on his father's side.

I like the way he interjected and said he doesn't think he is struggling defensively, but added that he can still definitely improve his defensive reads and his gap control for the next level.

He talks about needing to work hard, but clearly wants to be the missing offensive D for the Habs.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Just watch Mailloux's 12-minute or so interview, his first in depth interview since he was selected by the Habs.

One thing that stands out is that the young man is extremely confident, but doesn't come across as cocky or belligerent in any form whatsoever.

It takes courage to scramble in French the way he did at the end of the interview. Despite the predominant Franglais when he went into details with his answers, he was actually understandable and interesting in his delivery and through the content of his answers.

Kudos to the kid who, remarkably, doesn't have that much of a background speaking the language (a few years at school until Grade 8). Keeping in mind that he's only 19 and started practicing again when he was drafted by the Habs, it's not that long ago that he stopped speaking French in school.

He speaks better already than many I know who took French classes throughout high school. I suspect that they (he and his sister) cared somewhat about the language because it's part of his heritage on his father's side.

I like the way he interjected and said he doesn't think he is struggling defensively, but added that he can still definitely improve his defensive reads and his gap control for the next level.

He talks about needing to work hard, but clearly wants to be the missing offensive D for the Habs.

I like the way this is tracking. The kid made a bad mistake but is working hard at improving and he clearly knows the areas of the game he needs to work at. Ability to identify them and work hard at improving any flaws is how you end up a good NHL player.

Both Barron and Mailloux have size and skating and good shots. Both are build with offense and have to mature on the D side. I've seen their popularity go up and down and I see more of it to come. Guys that need to learn how to play D take longer. I have faith in both of them!

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I like the way this is tracking. The kid made a bad mistake but is working hard at improving and he clearly knows the areas of the game he needs to work at. Ability to identify them and work hard at improving any flaws is how you end up a good NHL player.

Both Barron and Mailloux have size and skating and good shots. Both are build with offense and have to mature on the D side. I've seen their popularity go up and down and I see more of it to come. Guys that need to learn how to play D take longer. I have faith in both of them!
He credits the skills coaches with working on his flaws. I think they should also get credit for identifying those flaws for Mailloux. The kid then gets credit for being willing to take sound advice rather than fighting it.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He credits the skills coaches with working on his flaws. I think they should also get credit for identifying those flaws for Mailloux. The kid then gets credit for being willing to take sound advice rather than fighting it.

The area I would ponder about is did he already know about his flaws without anybody telling him? Those are the type of players who end up being good NHL player. So how obsessive is he at improving? That is a key area and development coaches can only help so far. Someone like Suzuki didn't need anybody telling him he needed to get physically stronger in his development.

Regardless, I like what he is saying and what focus he has. We will see how this turns out over time.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $14,538.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $50.00