Prospect Info: Logan Mailloux Part 3 The Only Hockey Talk Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
I've thought the same myself but there is a minimum that needs to be met. There were things I saw in his own zone early on that were just putrid.

I think he'll be fine as long as he stays healthy. He really can't miss more time. I'm okay if he's ultimately weak defensively if his O translates.

I do think Hutson has the offensive tools that Mailloux has. Well different but definitely has high. He just doesn't have a high end shot. Seems good enough. Just nowhere near Mailloux's which is scary high end.
Hutson's lack of size will always be a question mark until he proves himself at the NHL level. You can't coach size and NHL teams are all going after Dmen who can play a heavy game. It's especially important in the playoffs.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
Hutson's lack of size will always be a question mark until he proves himself at the NHL level. You can't coach size and NHL teams are all going after Dmen who can play a heavy game. It's especially important in the playoffs.
Hutson's main weakness isn't his size, he wouldn't be so shifty and elusive if he was taller. He just need to skate faster.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I've thought the same myself but there is a minimum that needs to be met. There were things I saw in his own zone early on that were just putrid.

I think he'll be fine as long as he stays healthy. He really can't miss more time. I'm okay if he's ultimately weak defensively if his O translates.

I do think Hutson has the offensive tools that Mailloux has. Well different but definitely has high. He just doesn't have a high end shot. Seems good enough. Just nowhere near Mailloux's which is scary high end.
He hasn't played a ton of hockey, hopefully that irons itself out over time.

He's got the tools and the size to be a beast though.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Am I the only one who doesn't really care about all the concerns with his defensive play?

We got a lot of prospects who defend well or project too, we don't have any who have the offensive tools Mailloux has.

I'm sure that he’ll improve in that area over time, but for now, it's not a concern for me. I'd rather see him continue to pile up the points.
We have competent skills coaches to help him improve that facet. He owns the skills that are way harder to teach.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Am I the only one who doesn't really care about all the concerns with his defensive play?

We got a lot of prospects who defend well or project too, we don't have any who have the offensive tools Mailloux has.

I'm sure that he’ll improve in that area over time, but for now, it's not a concern for me. I'd rather see him continue to pile up the points.
Here's my take after the two Flint games. But with a caveat that I only saw the first period of Friday's game and Mailloux received a 10 minute misconduct penalty in last night's game that in essence reduced his participation to only two periods.

The Good: He continues to show elite level passing and shooting ability. His first pass is off the charts. The best I have seen in my many years of watching junior players. It will be a real weapon at the next level. Several times in last nights game he made long passes to London forwards who would have had break-a-ways if they had the skill to accept / receive a pass. Think a wide receiver in football 5 yards behind his coverage and dropping a pass. This inability was also present in the offensive zone when Mailloux was able to find an open teammate who just couldn't handle the pass. His skating with the puck remains impressive as he has the lateral skating ability going forward when carrying the puck and the stickhandling ability to evade the first forechecker and gain separation and speed through the neutral zone. This puck transporting ability puts great pressure on the defence and opens up the ice for teammates. Mailloux also started to show a physical component to his game throwing several big checks that 'de-cleted' several Flint players. And he did so rather impressively. Mailloux is large, fast and has a presence on the ice that opponents must and do respect. I really believe we are only seeing a tip of his potential. He plays at a level that is a notch higher than most of his teammates. They simply can't take advantage of his best skills. Too many times I see plays that Mailloux start die on his teammates' sticks. It was interesting to note that for one shift Mailloux played with Isiah George, another certain future NHLer. The way they played off each other showed a glimpse of what Mailloux can and will do at the next level when playing with superior players.

The Bad: Mailloux at times continues to have difficulty to defend opponents who try to go wide. He still tries to defend and contain them with his stick and shows limitations in skating laterally going backwards. There's an awkwardness, even a lack of confidence , when trying to seal off the boards against on rushing forwards. He relies on his superior reach to break up plays and often tries to use his skates to block passing and stickhandling efforts when all he has to do is stand up and take the man. It is a fear of reinjuring his shoulder? The effects of limited playing for the past 3 years? I don't know. But this deficit in his game has to be cleaned up. While Mailloux is a shooting machine, too many of his shots continue to be blocked. But this could be a result of teams making every effort to take away his shot. You have to take away his shot or sooner or later he's going to kill a goalie. Also, he has to stop trying to do everything himself. In the 12 or so games that I have watched Mailloux play this season on several occasions he has tried to beat 4 defenders on the rush. While this may work on occasion in Jr, A it has little chance of success at the OHL level. Even less so, at the NHL level. He has to learn when to keep his game simple and just use the dump and chase.

The Ugly: Unless Mailloux can improve his play in defending the rush he will largely be a one-dimensional player at the next level. With Hutson also on the horizon, that may be a luxury that this improving team can't afford.

My Assessment: Mailloux remains an intriguing and valuable prospect who has all the abilities and skills to be an impact player at the next level. I think his defensive deficiencies are correctable and I am confident that when Mailloux fills in over the next few years and gets stronger and faster he will prove to be a core player for the Canadiens in the future.

Last edited:

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Here's my take after the two Flint games. But with a caveat that I only saw the first period of Friday's game and Mailloux received a 10 minute misconduct penalty in last night's game that in essence reduced his participation to only two periods.

The Good: He continues to show elite level passing and shooting ability. His first pass is off the charts. The best I have seen in my many years of watching junior players. It will be a real weapon at the next level. Several times in last nights game he made long passes to London forwards who would have had break-a-ways if they had the skill to accept / receive a pass. Think a wide receiver in football 5 yards behind his coverage and dropping a pass. This inability was also present in the offensive zone when Mailloux was able to find an open teammate who just couldn't handle the pass. His skating with the puck remains impressive as he has the lateral skating ability going forward when carrying the puck and the stickhandling ability to evade the first forechecker and gain separation and speed through the neutral zone. This puck transporting ability puts great pressure on the defence and opens up the ice for teammates. Mailloux also started to show a physical component to his game throwing several big checks that 'de-cleted' several Flint players. And he did so rather impressively. Mailloux is large, fast and has a presence on the ice that opponents must and do respect. I really believe we are only seeing a tip of his potential. He plays at a level that is a notch higher than most of his teammates. They simply can't take advantage of his best skills. Too many times I see plays that Mailloux start die on his teammates' sticks. It was interesting to note that for one shift Mailloux played with Isiah George, another certain future NHLer. The way they played off each other showed a glimpse of what Mailloux can and will do at the next level when playing with superior players.

The Bad: Mailloux at times continues to have difficulty to defend opponents who try to go wide. He still tries to defend and contain them with his stick and shows limitations in skating laterally going backwards. There's an awkwardness, even a lack of confidence , when trying to seal off the boards against on rushing forwards. He relies on his superior reach to break up plays and often tries to use his skates to block passing and stickhandling efforts when all he has to do is stand up and take the man. It is a fear of reinjuring his shoulder? The effects of limited playing for the past 3 years? I don't know. But this deficit in his game has to be cleaned up. While Mailloux is a shooting machine, too many of his shots continue to be blocked. But this could be a result of teams making every effort to take away his shot. You have to take away his shot or sooner or later he's going to kill a goalie. Also, he has to stop trying to do everything himself. In the 12 or so games that I have watched Mailloux play this season on several occasions he has tried to beat 4 defenders on the rush. While this may work on occasion in Jr, A it has little chance of success at the OHL level. Even less so, at the NHL level. He has to learn when to keep his game simple and just use the dump and chase.

The Ugly: Unless Mailloux can improve his play in defending the rush he will largely be a one-dimensional player at the next level. With Hutson also on the horizon, that may be a luxury that this improving team can't afford.

My Assessment: Mailloux remains an intriguing and valuable prospect who has all the abilities and skills to be an impact player at the next level. I think his defensive deficiencies are correctable and I am confident that when Mailloux fills in over the next few years and gets stronger and faster he will prove to be a core player for the Canadiens in the future.
Thats a fair and accurate report I agree on, good post!

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal

i can't say enough "tanks" for those brilliant analyses . Merci !

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

My Assessment:
Mailloux remains an intriguing and valuable prospect who has all the abilities and skills to be an impact player at the next level. I think his defensive deficiencies are correctable and I am confident that when Mailloux fills in over the next few years and gets stronger and faster he will prove to be a core player for the Canadiens in the future.
yeah intuitively this assessment rings true from the little I've seen. The bad and the ugly seem correctable but are just enough worrisome where it is an 'issue' that needs to show improvement at some point. the sooner the better.

The first bolded really rings true. He's just played so little these past years. The fact that he's producing as well as he is despite that is a great sign. When you've played that little, you really only can get better. On both sides of the ice.

Is the 2nd bolded a typo? Did you mean a luxury we CAN afford? I personally rank Hutson higher. I think a freshman in the NCAA producing how he is eclipses what Mailloux's doing. Not selling Logan short I'm really high on Hutson. As long as Lane can work on the straight away speed I think he's going to be a beauty. If he can show Caufield type leaps there he'll be elite. That's a big IF though but I'm very confident in him. Both are huge to have in the system.

Thanks for your detailed report, General!

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
Is the 2nd bolded a typo? Did you mean a luxury we CAN afford? I personally rank Hutson higher. I think a freshman in the NCAA producing how he is eclipses what Mailloux's doing. Not selling Logan short I'm really high on Hutson. As long as Lane can work on the straight away speed I think he's going to be a beauty. If he can show Caufield type leaps there he'll be elite. That's a big IF though but I'm very confident in him. Both are huge to have in the system.

Thanks for your detailed report, General!
What I am saying is that both Mailloux and Hutson at this point of their respective developments are far stronger offensively than defensively. If both fail to pick up their defensive play, then their ceilings will be as offensive orientated defencemen, with their defensive play constituting a liability and a potential drag on their team's fortunes. Teams can afford one such type of defenceman, who usually keys the power play. Few teams can succeed having two full time defencemen who are defensive liabilities.

Alexandre Magny

Apr 27, 2019
What I am saying is that both Mailloux and Hutson at this point of their respective developments are far stronger offensively than defensively. If both fail to pick up their defensive play, then their ceilings will be as offensive orientated defencemen, with their defensive play constituting a liability and a potential drag on their team's fortunes. Teams can afford one such type of defenceman, who usually keys the power play. Few teams can succeed having two full time defencemen who are defensive liabilities.

Les 2 on 18 et 19 ans de plus a quel points ces 2 joueurs on des lacunes défensives ?

Je crois pas que c'est irrécupérable dans un cas comme dans l'autre donc a suivre.

Reactions: Rob Sense

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Les 2 on 18 et 19 ans de plus a quel points ces 2 joueurs on des lacunes défensives ?

Je crois pas que c'est irrécupérable dans un cas comme dans l'autre donc a suivre.
Hutson's coach in university (Pandolfo, I believe) said that Hutson's D-game has improved tremendously. while some point out that Hutson is not a great skater when skating backwards, Pandolfo says that Hutson always gets the right angle when cutting off a. rushing forward and that he has a very good, active stick to break up plays.

Hutson may not be able to outmuscle opponents, but he an be a smart defender.

Mailloux, I've followed less, but, given the amount of games he's missed in his development, I'd play him another year in juniors as an overager before playing him at least one year in the American League. I wouldn't expect to see Mailloux in the NHL before at least three years and pressure to rush him because of a lack of RHDs should not be heeded.

Hutson will likely max out his University years (three more beyond that), concentrates on becoming a leader on and off the ice and on working out to maximize his health, strength and size.

Hey, he might grow another inch (to 5'10"), and if he gains enough weight to weigh in at 185 lbs, he won't be that easily manhandled at all. Low center of gravity with strong legs will be the key.

I'm less concerned about Hutson's play than that of his line mates when he will be on the ice. There will need to be a lot of positional permutations as his wander-lust takes over in the O-zone. It keeps opposing Ds on their toes, but requires a lot of reads form his own team-mates to prevent costly turnovers with everyone out of position.

IMO, finding the right D-partner may be the key to protect the team and Hutson against himself, defensively.

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
Hutson's coach in university (Pandolfo, I believe) said that Hutson's D-game has improved tremendously. while some point out that Hutson is not a great skater when skating backwards, Pandolfo says that Hutson always gets the right angle when cutting off a. rushing forward and that he has a very good, active stick to break up plays.

Hutson may not be able to outmuscle opponents, but he an be a smart defender.

Mailloux, I've followed less, but, given the amount of games he's missed in his development, I'd play him another year in juniors as an overager before playing him at least one year in the American League. I wouldn't expect to see Mailloux in the NHL before at least three years and pressure to rush him because of a lack of RHDs should not be heeded.

Hutson will likely max out his University years (three more beyond that), concentrates on becoming a leader on and off the ice and on working out to maximize his health, strength and size.

Hey, he might grow another inch (to 5'10"), and if he gains enough weight to weigh in at 185 lbs, he won't be that easily manhandled at all. Low center of gravity with strong legs will be the key.

I'm less concerned about Hutson's play than that of his line mates when he will be on the ice. There will need to be a lot of positional permutations as his wander-lust takes over in the O-zone. It keeps opposing Ds on their toes, but requires a lot of reads form his own team-mates to prevent costly turnovers with everyone out of position.

IMO, finding the right D-partner may be the key to protect the team and Hutson against himself, defensively.
If he continues at a PPG pace he’ll play probably one more year of NCAA but I could see him joining the NHL at 20 like Cole.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
His goal in the shoot out was wicked. When he fills out, this kid is going to be a danger to all goalies..

I will post my general comments about Mailloux's game this afternoon a bit later.
My assessment of Mailloux’s game against the Soo.

Overall, Maillox played what can be described as his normal game: a display of his elite shooting and passing skills; a growing physical game and challenges in the defensive zone.

Shooting and Passing: Mailloux’s goals during regulation time and in the shootout provide continuing confirmation of his elite shot. It's a shot that is now over powering OHL goalies and will soon be overpowering goalies at the next level. This being the third game in three days, London played a sloppy game and generated few scoring opportunities so Mailloux had few opportunities to use his difference making shot. While Mailloux made a range of accurate passes, the same malaise that restricted his shooting opportunities hindered the number of passes he attempted and completed. As I earlier noted, the Knights' lack of high end, skilled players is really hindering Mailloux’s offensive production. It's really frustrating watching Mailloux not being used by his teammates when he is open for a pass. Hunter did use Mailloux with George in some high leverage situations but I’m quite surprised at how generally unskilled the Knights team is.

Physical Game: This is a part of Mailloux's game that is growing. Mailloux delivered a thunderous open ice check that put a Soo forward on his Francis. While the check was probably borderline interference, it showed Mailloux’s growing willingness and comfort in engaging and exploiting his size advantage. He also nailed several opposing forwards behind his net.

Defensive Game: Mailloux’s defensive game remains a work in progress. The good news is that Mailloux was not beaten wide this game and he generally made the right reads in the defensive zone. But he had difficulty clearing the defensive zone and otherwise taking charge defensively. For a player of his size and mobility I find him to be too passive in his defensive play and he often delays in closing the gap on opponents. These are all things that can be corrected by coaching and increased play.

Finally, this being London's third game in a row, I think Mailloux’s efficiency and energy was really affected. I didn't see the snap in his game that I have come to expect particularly in his ability to support offensive plays up the ice. He made and joined a few end to end rushes where he showed off his top end, straightforward speed, but these displays were few and far between. This accumulative fatigue also affected most of his teammates as London was outskated, outshot and outplayed by the Soo. Nevertheless, Mailloux logged a lot of ice time, played in all high leverage situations and scored a goal in regulation time and during the shoot out.

Last edited:

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
My assessment of Mailloux’s game against the Soo.

Overall, Maillox played what can be described as his normal game: a display of his elite shooting and passing skills; a growing physical game and challenges in the defensive zone.

Shooting and Passing: Mailloux’s goals during regulation time and in the shootout provide continuing confirmation of his elite shot. It's a shot that is now over powering OHL goalies and will soon be overpowering goalies at the next level. This being the third game in three days, London played a sloppy game and generated few scoring opportunities so Mailloux had few opportunities to use his difference making shot. While Mailloux made a range of accurate passes, the same malaise that restricted his shooting opportunities hindered the number of passes he attempted and completed. As I earlier noted, the Knights' lack of high end, skilled players is really hindering Mailloux’s offensive production. It's really frustrating watching Mailloux not being used by his teammates when he is open for a pass. Hunter did use Mailloux with George in some high leverage situations but I’m quite surprised at how generally unskilled the Knights team is.

Physical Game: This is a part of Mailloux's game that is growing. Mailloux delivered a thunderous open ice check that put a Soo forward on his Francis. While the check was probably borderline interference, it showed Mailloux’s growing willingness and comfort in engaging and exploiting his size advantage. He also nailed several opposing forwards behind his net.

Defensive Game: Mailloux’s defensive game remains a work in progress. The good news is that Mailloux was not beaten wide this game and he generally made the right reads in the defensive zone. But he had difficulty clearing the defensive zone and otherwise taking charge defensively. For a player of his size and mobility I find him to be too passive in his defensive play and he often delays in closing the gap on opponents. These are all things that can be corrected by coaching and increased play.

Finally, this being London's third game in a row, I think Mailloux’s efficiency and energy was really affected. I didn't see the snap in his game that I have come to expect particularly in his ability to support offensive plays up the ice. He made and joined a few end to end rushes where he showed off his top end, straightforward speed, but these displays were few and far between. This accumulative fatigue also affected most of his teammates as London was outskated, outshot and outplayed by the Soo. Nevertheless, Mailloux logged a lot of ice time, played in all high leverage situations and scored a goal in regulation time and during the shoot out.
He's missed a lot of development time. I think his defensive game will come around with additional year in Laval

Reactions: MasterD

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad