Prospect Info: Logan Mailloux Part 3 The Only Hockey Talk Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Anyone else concerned in this woke era that the NHL will make it difficult for Logan Mailloux to get cleared? Amazing that the current thugs in the league are grandfathered in despite of their past behavior.
Not really. I get what you’re saying, but he was judged and sentenced in Sweden (or Switzerland?), paid his dues, came back here, came under fire again publically, was suspended, did the therapy and everything…

By the end of this season and probably one in the AHL, we’ll be far removed from the incident.

Last edited:

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Not really. I get what your saying, but he was judged and sentenced in Sweden (or Switzerland?), paid his dues, came back here, came under fire again publically, was suspended, did the therapy and everything…

By the end of this season and probably one in the AHL, we’ll be far removed from the incident.
Do you think members of the 2018 WJ team who allegedly sexually assaulted that lady will ever be held accountable in this manner?

Reactions: Kimota and Runner77

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Do you think members of the 2018 WJ team who allegedly sexually assaulted that lady will ever be held accountable in this manner?
To be honest I don’t know enough about it to comment much.

Probably not given all the protection they got from Hockey Canada and the papers the victim allegedly signed to shut her mouth in exchange for money…

But I think it’s the last time we see something so big get buried. Society won’t accept it anymore.

EDIT also if Mailloux did what he did over here, it would have been in minor’s court and his identity wouldn’t have been allowed to be publicize legally. Big can of worms this whole thing.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Anyone else concerned in this woke era that the NHL will make it difficult for Logan Mailloux to get cleared? Amazing that the current thugs in the league are grandfathered in despite of their past behavior.

1. I'm not concerned about a "woke era". People being held accountable for their actions is a good thing. Mailloux was guilty of what he did and thus consequences are required both in the eyes of the law and the privilege of playing in the NHL.

2. The NHL will clear anyone (or will face a grievance from the NHLPA which they would likely lose on precedent) provided the behaviors remain on the up and up. Seeing as the new regime with 0 connection to Mailloux signed him to a contract and he's been doing good things and communicating honestly about what he's learned - Logan seems to understand the gravity of what he did wrong and why it was wrong to do what he did. This isn't Mitchell Miller who was a pattern abuser with no remorse that continuously lies about his situation and doesn't even communicate effectively from a PR point of view.

3. You can't retroactively punish someone on new grounds of precedent. Look at the NFL which was unable to really punish Deshaun Watson to the degree he should have been punished because of the NFLPA and the arbitrator using past weak suspensions on behaviors as precedent.

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
1. I'm not concerned about a "woke era". People being held accountable for their actions is a good thing. Mailloux was guilty of what he did and thus consequences are required both in the eyes of the law and the privilege of playing in the NHL.
It really is annoying reading and hearing about the "woke era". Oh no, the consequences of my actions? Damn those woke kids.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014

Woke era?
What's the problem here?

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Here's my opinion on the subject:
I don't want to have an opinion on the subject.

I don't want to have a protect a kid and what he's done because I want his skills on the team and not lose a 1st round pick.
I don't want to have shit on the kid for what he's done as I don't have the real picture and I don't want to be the judge, jury and executioner.

I have a strong opinion about this: What a f***ing moron Bergevin is!!

We didn't needed all that kind of bullshit, it's one thing when you don't see it coming but even the kid didn't wanted to be drafted and verybody knew, it was fresh off the press.....f***, that GM was so stupid it's unbelievable!
Let's be real. The kid wanted to be drafted. He just wanted to try to save his career by making a bold and smart decision.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Everyone agrees with paying the consequences for one's actions. The 'woke' part refers to a permanent state of outrage even after consequences have been fully paid.

That's the outlier of people though. I think it's a pretty bad condition of the current human form that we always battle on the extremes.

I, as one person who did not like or want the Mailloux selection - have been happy with what he's done and said since the incident and have no qualms about him being signed to an ELC or eventually playing in the NHL. I'd wager that's how most people in my situation feel, as well.

There's about as much worth in fighting a battle against the people who will always be against him as there is in me fighting the people who celebrated what he did to his victim. Outliers on both sides.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Shouldn't the team find out if it is a permanent ineligibility?
It isn't permanent for both legal and business reasons.

Though the right to resort to judicial review in Canada with respect to decisions made by private organizations has been restricted by recent cases like R v Jockey Club ex parte Aga Khan and Highwood Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses ( Judicial Committee) v. Wall its the fear of litigation that would trouble the NHL if it made the draconian decision of a permanent ban for an offence that was committed by a minor.

During the discovery process that forms an essential part of any litigation, the plaintiff (Mailloux) would have access to any internal non-privileged communications (hard copy and electronic) and the right to cross examine a representative of the NHL and, if Bettman is a named party, he could be subject to cross-examination. This discovery process could reveal matters that may be very embarrassing to the NHL particularly if it comes out that one of the motivating factors is a fear of the loss of sponsorships and not the concern over a violation of some standard of decency that the NHL is supposedly operating under. The discovery process will force the NHL to explain the double standard it has and continues to operate under where it has allowed convicted felons to continue their lucrative careers in the NHL unencumbered. It's the fear of litigation and the almost certain embarrassing exposure of the league's hypocrisy that will result in Mailloux's re-instatement.

The league will, at some suitable time in the near future, solemnly announce that Mailloux's post incident behaviour has been exemplary and warrant's the redemptive step of regained eligibility. It will be the right decision legally and morally. More importantly, from the NHL's perspective, it will be the smart business decision.

Last edited:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Here's my take after the two Flint games. But with a caveat that I only saw the first period of Friday's game and Mailloux received a 10 minute misconduct penalty in last night's game that in essence reduced his participation to only two periods.

The Good: He continues to show elite level passing and shooting ability. His first pass is off the charts. The best I have seen in my many years of watching junior players. It will be a real weapon at the next level. Several times in last nights game he made long passes to London forwards who would have had break-a-ways if they had the skill to accept / receive a pass. Think a wide receiver in football 5 yards behind his coverage and dropping a pass. This inability was also present in the offensive zone when Mailloux was able to find an open teammate who just couldn't handle the pass. His skating with the puck remains impressive as he has the lateral skating ability going forward when carrying the puck and the stickhandling ability to evade the first forechecker and gain separation and speed through the neutral zone. This puck transporting ability puts great pressure on the defence and opens up the ice for teammates. Mailloux also started to show a physical component to his game throwing several big checks that 'de-cleted' several Flint players. And he did so rather impressively. Mailloux is large, fast and has a presence on the ice that opponents must and do respect. I really believe we are only seeing a tip of his potential. He plays at a level that is a notch higher than most of his teammates. They simply can't take advantage of his best skills. Too many times I see plays that Mailloux start die on his teammates' sticks. It was interesting to note that for one shift Mailloux played with Isiah George, another certain future NHLer. The way they played off each other showed a glimpse of what Mailloux can and will do at the next level when playing with superior players.

The Bad: Mailloux at times continues to have difficulty to defend opponents who try to go wide. He still tries to defend and contain them with his stick and shows limitations in skating laterally going backwards. There's an awkwardness, even a lack of confidence , when trying to seal off the boards against on rushing forwards. He relies on his superior reach to break up plays and often tries to use his skates to block passing and stickhandling efforts when all he has to do is stand up and take the man. It is a fear of reinjuring his shoulder? The effects of limited playing for the past 3 years? I don't know. But this deficit in his game has to be cleaned up. While Mailloux is a shooting machine, too many of his shots continue to be blocked. But this could be a result of teams making every effort to take away his shot. You have to take away his shot or sooner or later he's going to kill a goalie. Also, he has to stop trying to do everything himself. In the 12 or so games that I have watched Mailloux play this season on several occasions he has tried to beat 4 defenders on the rush. While this may work on occasion in Jr, A it has little chance of success at the OHL level. Even less so, at the NHL level. He has to learn when to keep his game simple and just use the dump and chase.

The Ugly: Unless Mailloux can improve his play in defending the rush he will largely be a one-dimensional player at the next level. With Hutson also on the horizon, that may be a luxury that this improving team can't afford.

My Assessment: Mailloux remains an intriguing and valuable prospect who has all the abilities and skills to be an impact player at the next level. I think his defensive deficiencies are correctable and I am confident that when Mailloux fills in over the next few years and gets stronger and faster he will prove to be a core player for the Canadiens in the future.
BTW - forgot to mention but thanks for this post, good insight and i've been following your previous posts on Mailloux.

Much appreciated!

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Let's be real. The kid wanted to be drafted. He just wanted to try to save his career by making a bold and smart decision.
100%

It was a PR play. Anybody who thinks he didn't want to be drafted is delusional. Millions of $ on the table!

And he'll be a good one. As much as I hated MB's regime, that's one of his best shots. But it was very poorly managed/presented when it was done.

Last edited:
Reactions: Natey and schwang26

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
Everyone agrees with paying the consequences for one's actions. The 'woke' part refers to a permanent state of outrage even after consequences have been fully paid.
Just like in anything else, there are people who take it to the extremes.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
That's the outlier of people though. I think it's a pretty bad condition of the current human form that we always battle on the extremes.

I, as one person who did not like or want the Mailloux selection - have been happy with what he's done and said since the incident and have no qualms about him being signed to an ELC or eventually playing in the NHL. I'd wager that's how most people in my situation feel, as well.

There's about as much worth in fighting a battle against the people who will always be against him as there is in me fighting the people who celebrated what he did to his victim. Outliers on both sides.
I wouldn't describe it as the outlier, I'd say there are still people who vehemently believe he should never be allowed to play Hockey again and you see those voices on this site and in the media and its not a small number of people. I cringe reading people critiquing this viewpoint as "woke" but I can see how the current political and societal environment is so much more tribal then it's ever been in my lifetime. Your with us or against us has never felt more real and has removed any discussion of complex issues. For a non-racisim, sexism example look no further then the discussions going on around the homelessness problem in Canada. The Governments have been shoveling money into it for decades around acceptance of drugs, don't take them from their tent homes and it's clearly not worked. Yet if you try to discuss different solutions your met with either your being to soft, or your anti-homeless. With the right getting pulled further right and the left getting pulled further left.

For another example I saw recently that left me shaking my head in a reddit thread where someone was discussing suicide someone was getting mad and chiding people that they we're using the words "commit Suicide" because it implied a crime and would mentally harm those who had survived, it was met with people instantly adopting the language and saying how they'll work to be better. Think about the ridiculousness of that statement instant adoption of language based not on society but on the basis of another's feelings from their own choices.

You and I agree on the middle paragraph, at the time of the draft I hated the pick, it forced me to deal with more of the issues plaguing society in my daily escape. Since then he's only taken good steps forward, and he should be able to reenter the league without much issue in a year or so.

Gainesvillain

Apr 9, 2013
Agreed.

Pretty much every day on Twitter the same lame talking points are trotted out by woke middle-aged sportswriters still mad about the pick:

Reactions: Twisted Sinister

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
That's why God created lawyers.
3dccdd0faa417609a681b410db2ca48b.gif

habsfan92

Jun 5, 2005
winnipeg
All woke stuff aside, are the other guys that are playing as well or better than him been playing as little as he did over the past couple of years? Are points the only comparative measurements with the other draftees?
I just hope the continues to grow (not height ) as a person, and player.

habsfan92

Jun 5, 2005
winnipeg
On another note, looking at those twitter screenshots, it looks like they are not focusing on just the on ice performances, but are kind of going out of their way to downplay it.

Justsayin

Jul 2, 2019
Agreed.

Pretty much every day on Twitter the same lame talking points are trotted out by woke middle-aged sportswriters still mad about the pick:

Are these guys seriously trying to argue that he's not doing that well because he's only 5th in scoring for defencemen? Huh?

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
All woke stuff aside, are the other guys that are playing as well or better than him been playing as little as he did over the past couple of years? Are points the only comparative measurements with the other draftees?
I just hope the continues to grow (not height ) as a person, and player.

His offensive output isn't really that impressive (not factoring in missed time) but his shot is NHL level.. but as has always been the case, his defensive ability is a mess and it isn't really OHL level good right now.

So take the extreme positive side (Renaud Lavoie saying he should be in the NHL which is nonsense) and the extreme negative side and find the truth in the middle, as always.

Reactions: BJCOLLINS

Ad

Ad

Ad