Prospect Info: Logan Mailloux Part 3 The Only Hockey Talk Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I wonder about that. Especially when it comes to skating, working on skating, and developing one's skating stride.

I know a lot of great skating hockey players that were first figure skaters. Playing hockey isn't the only way to develop one's skating stride.

There are some documented cases of players like Skinner moving from figure skating to hockey but it is almost never the case. There are players who will have at some point worked with a figure skating coach but were never figure skaters. Both sports use very different blades and boots and the skills aren't entirely transferable. I, personally am not entirely convinced that figure skating is a worthwhile investment for a hockey player but don't really hold a strong opinion one way or another. Figure skates hinder agility and acceleration but allow for greater top end speed, single foot glides and using the toe pick to launch jumps and to go into spins. Hockey skates don't have the pronounced toe pick and have a shorter, curved "rocker" shaped blade that allows for increased agility and acceleration. Stopping, turning, gliding and accelerating require different mechanics in both sports so I am just yet to be sold on learning the wrong way to skate in hockey skates by using figure skating skates...... perhaps there is some type of cross over benefit that I am not aware of.

Habricot

Oct 22, 2017
Hutson - Dach - Mailloux
Caufield - Suzuki - Roy
Pearson - Monahan - Gallagher
Guhle - Beck - Reaves

Now that’s a TEAM
No Slaf? Or you traded him for Reaves :) a useless piece of ....

This kid just needs time. You can make an argument that his upside is as high or higher than any Habs prospect.
Btw who cares if his development is on par with Zellweger...

Reactions: the valiant effort

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Some say he needs work on his skating and I am not a skating expert so I will take their word for it but last night Logan Mailloux was friggin flying out there.
I loved when he tried to emulate BradLambert on the PP.
I wish Matheson and even Suzuki would do that on occasion.
I've seen the Dmen part like the Red Sea more than once on zone entry.
They are often sitting on the pass like 90% of the time and can be caught out.
I mean what's the use of building up speed on the zone entry if you don't use it .

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
There are some documented cases of players like Skinner moving from figure skating to hockey but it is almost never the case. There are players who will have at some point worked with a figure skating coach but were never figure skaters. Both sports use very different blades and boots and the skills aren't entirely transferable. I, personally am not entirely convinced that figure skating is a worthwhile investment for a hockey player but don't really hold a strong opinion one way or another. Figure skates hinder agility and acceleration but allow for greater top end speed, single foot glides and using the toe pick to launch jumps and to go into spins. Hockey skates don't have the pronounced toe pick and have a shorter, curved "rocker" shaped blade that allows for increased agility and acceleration. Stopping, turning, gliding and accelerating require different mechanics in both sports so I am just yet to be sold on learning the wrong way to skate in hockey skates by using figure skating skates...... perhaps there is some type of cross over benefit that I am not aware of.

Yeah I don't have any scientific study worthy data, but I have had quite a few anecdotal cases pop up over the years. Skinner is one. Kovalev is another. And if I'm not mistaken Fedorov and many other Russians if that generation.

Also, the best and fastest skater when we were growing up playing did figure skating and hockey when he was a young child.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
If they plan on bringing over Engstrom to Laval I wonder if they would put him with Mailloux assuming after the trade deadline that Xhekaj is with the Habs or elsewhere. Could be an interesting duo, as I assume the plan will be for Hutson to be paired with Reinbacher, assuming Hutson turns pro and Reinbacher is in Laval with him. That would be one crazy looking top 4 in Laval, young as shit but it would be fun to see.
Laval is where you experiment.

Jul 6, 2016
It is more about the posture, agility and the power you can learn from figure skating coaches.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
P.K. Subban 2.0.

I said that since his draft year.

So far, he show the potential that he have the talent to become that type of player.

We have a very very good one guys and girls !!

Reactions: Dutronc and cphabs

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
It is more about the posture, agility and the power you can learn from figure skating coaches.

The problem is that figure skating doesn't teach agility very effectively as it is all about wide turns, speed, stationary spins and jumps. Everything else is toe pick work which does not translate at all. I think people have this preconceived notion of figure skating being all about agility when in fact there is very little agility due to the design of the skates which are designed solely for speed and jumping/spinning. Posture would be a solid observation so I will give you that but the power doesn't translate as hockey skates are better for acceleration and require a different stride than figure skaters use.

The long blades used by figure skaters make it much easier to land the one legged landings as well as carrying speed through turns while on one leg due to the increased stability provided by the extra blade length. There is also the fact that figure skaters use soft boots that allow for much more ankle flexion than hockey skates allow with their hard shells that are necessary for protection from pucks and sticks.

I personally would never suggest that a developing hockey player take up figure skating but I wouldn't argue too stridently against it if they wanted to give it a try. Perhaps it might work for some and have a negative impact on others, I honestly don't know. I just know that I can't find the logic to justify this method of training over learning how to play hockey in proper hockey skates.

If a figure skating coach would agree to train kids while wearing hockey skates that might make more sense although it seems rather risky from an injury risk perspective.

Last edited:
Reactions: montreal

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014

logan-mailloux-2024-45.png
Profile_-_Doug_Funnie (1).png

Last edited:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
P.K. Subban 2.0.

I said that since his draft year.

So far, he show the potential that he have the talent to become that type of player.

We have a very very good one guys and girls !!
Subban was exceptionally mentally strong in two ways:

1. His energy level/compete level/work ethic
2. His ability to try new things without worrying if he'd make mistakes. Guy Boucher, his AHL coach, said this allowed him to develop to new levels he never thought he'd reach.

I don't expect Mailloux to match those two mental attributes. But like Subban, he has a lot of raw talent that needs to be developed properly.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Yeah I don't have any scientific study worthy data, but I have had quite a few anecdotal cases pop up over the years. Skinner is one. Kovalev is another. And if I'm not mistaken Fedorov and many other Russians if that generation.

Also, the best and fastest skater when we were growing up playing did figure skating and hockey when he was a young child.
Many Russian stars had Eliezer Sherbatov’s mom as a skating coach.

stanley25

Jun 15, 2009
I was a figure skater before joining hockey but originally learnt to skate on hockey skates. Actually won a few jeux du Quebec before transitioning to hockey as a teenager. Although I was always an above average skater over my teammates it wasn't by much and I feel like those players that start at younger ages do have move of a benefit.

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada
Not according to some. Chester Nimitz who follows him closely thinks otherwise
His only issue skating is that he is not an explosive skater, so when he turns around to go recover a puck he has problems here and there. That and his pivots. To make up for it he uses his size and stick handling to get out of trouble but if he has to turn around quickly and pursue a puck, he will have problems.

He has good speed and mobility and puck carrying is one of his strengths. So his issue is more agility and not mobility.

Hope that helps.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Are you sure about that ? She started teaching in the mid 90s around the region here and I think only has Quebecer alumni in the NHL.
While my son was at her hockey school in the 2000’s, she told me she had learned her teachings from Anatoli Tarasov’s daughter and other seniors with the Red Army org. And that she honed her skills with some Russian players part of the RA that eventually made the NHL. No clue if she was boasting or not.

Another fun fact: while I was at the Charles-Lemoyne arena, I met a member of the local Midget AAA team, who told me that the Habs were interested in drafting Latendresse. Lol But that he was a lazy ass athlete. Bwahahaha! He was right on!

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
His only issue skating is that he is not an explosive skater, so when he turns around to go recover a puck he has problems here and there. That and his pivots. To make up for it he uses his size and stick handling to get out of trouble but if he has to turn around quickly and pursue a puck, he will have problems.

He has good speed and mobility and puck carrying is one of his strengths. So his issue is more agility and not mobility.

Hope that helps.
This is what I saw at camp. Don’t know if he’s improved that since.

Otherwise I think @ChesterNimitz is a tad harsh on his skating with all due respect.

I saw what @Tyson saw the other night. He was moving very well. Once he gets going he’s quite smooth and fast. The initial steps are what needs work from what I seen. Defensive footwork and the finer details are beyond my ken for the most part. They still need work from what I can gather but what he does well skating wise he does very well. He has a great base to work from.

• Love
Reactions: mdk and HomaridII

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad