Prospect Info: Logan Mailloux Part 3 The Only Hockey Talk Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
This is what I saw at camp. Don’t know if he’s improved that since.

Otherwise I think @ChesterNimitz is a tad harsh on his skating with all due respect.

I saw what @Tyson saw the other night. He was moving very well. Once he gets going he’s quite smooth and fast. The initial steps are what needs work from what I seen. Defensive footwork and the finer details are beyond my ken for the most part. They still need work from what I can gather but what he does well skating wise he does very well. He has a great base to work from.
The interview Hughes did on Antichambre recently he said Mailloux has "un bon coup the patin"...pardon my lack of French spelling skills.

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
The thing is no one is using the same criterias when deciding if a player is "a good skater": agility, top speed, edges, first steps, stability, etc.

All I know is that if both Chester AND Estimated Prophet deem someone (other then McDavid / Makar / Hugues / McKinnon) a good skater, we should draft / trade for him asap :laugh:

Some of the warts those prospects have we're not aware. It was recently mentionned that Mailloux kept arriving late/last-minute so his Laval teammates cut his skate laces and he got the message (and that was a bigger hurdle for his pro career then his skating).

IMO his main challenge remains defensive play and risk-evaluation (cuting down on the risky / lowish reward plays). He needs a lot of reps and the ability/mindset to learn, his skating won't carry him to the NHL but I doubt it's the make/break factor.

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
Tonight goals were a bit lucky but 13pts his last 13 games is quite something for a rookie D in the AHL
he's +8 in that timespan

First goal was lucky but that 200' empty netter is pure shooting skill imo. Reminder that Mailloux did that last year to get a hat trick:

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
First goal was lucky but that 200' empty netter is pure shooting skill imo. Reminder that Mailloux did that last year to get a hat trick:

Despite his statistical impact (two late goals: one being fluky and the other an empty netter) I thought Mailloux had a rather tepid game. Though he made no major defensive gaffs, I didn’t find his game very impactful. It’s interesting to note that despite Laval’s string of penalties taken, the coaches rarely played Mailloux on the penalty kill choosing to trust career minor leaguers instead of Mailloux. I thought both Barron and Trudeau were as impactful as Mailloux last night, who had only one end to end rush that was of note.

Mailloux played a largely safe game using his reach and improving defensive awareness to help his team continue its winning trend. But Mailloux’s path to the NHL rests on his being an impactful offensive presence. In that regard, he still has a way to go.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Despite his statistical impact (two late goals: one being fluky and the other an empty netter) I thought Mailloux had a rather tepid game. Though he made no major defensive gaffs, I didn’t find his game very impactful. It’s interesting to note that despite Laval’s string of penalties taken, the coaches rarely played Mailloux on the penalty kill choosing to trust career minor leaguers instead of Mailloux. I thought both Barron and Trudeau were as impactful as Mailloux last night, who had only one end to end rush that was of note.

Mailloux played a largely safe game using his reach and improving defensive awareness to help his team continue its winning trend. But Mailloux’s path to the NHL rests on his being an impactful offensive presence. In that regard, he still has a way to go.
the more games Mailloux can have games with zero defensive gaffes the better.

Definitely not worried if he has a game or two where he isn't an offensive stud. He'll soon be able to mix the good offensively with the good defensively more frequently I reckon.

I'm just stoked to hear that he's been improving defensively. That's the big thing for me. He's already shown what he can do offensively and that's not going anywhere.

Reactions: Sagikev

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
the more games Mailloux can have games with zero defensive gaffes the better.

Definitely not worried if he has a game or two where he isn't an offensive stud. He'll soon be able to mix the good offensively with the good defensively more frequently I reckon.

I'm just stoked to hear that he's been improving defensively. That's the big thing for me. He's already shown what he can do offensively and that's not going anywhere.
Yes, that is the best case scenario. But after closely watching Mailloux's development over the past two years, I'm still hoping to see more offensive push from this young player. I find that Trudeau, who was miserable at the start of this season, is displaying more dynamic impact than Mailloux. It's almost like they have a leash on this kid. I watched the game last night and only saw once sequence where Mailloux carried the puck with speed, purpose and control into the offensive zone. We don't need Mailloux as a defensive stalwart. We need him as an offensive catalyst.

Last edited:

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Yes, that is the best case scenario. But after closely watching Mailloux's development over the past two years, I'm still hoping to see more offensive push from this young player. I find that Trudeau, who was miserable at the start of this season, is displaying more dynamic impact than Mailloux. It's almost like they have a leash on this kid. I watched the game last night and only saw once sequence where Mailloux carried the puck with speed, purpose and control into the offensive zone. We don't need Mailloux as a defensive stalwart. We need him as an offensive catalyst.
Isn’t that sort of what Houle does? Young guys have to show they can play D first. Don’t know if it’s ideal but the young guys seem to get better in Laval. We’ll see if he gets unleashed or if this is it.

Reactions: viceroy

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
I don't agree. We need to be able to trust Mailloux out there. Defensemen's first job is to defend. Good if he focuses on that in his first year as a pro. He can unleash some more offense when he is comfortable with the pro game, which is much further along as it is than we could have hoped for (as hinted by the all Star game participation).

Reactions: viceroy and Deebs

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Logan Mailloux is having an all-time rookie season in the AHL for defenders.
Logan just scored his 10th goal of the season and leads all AHL rookie defenders in that category. Logan is on pace for 21 goals this season. It's been more than 20 years since an AHL rookie defender has scored more than 20 goals in a season.
Not only that, Mailloux's 26 points put him 2nd among rookie defenders in the AHL.
The future is looking bright for Logan.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Logan just scored his 10th goal of the season and leads all AHL rookie defenders in that category. Logan is on pace for 21 goals this season. It's been more than 20 years since an AHL rookie defender has scored more than 20 goals in a season.
Not only that, Mailloux's 26 points put him 2nd among rookie defenders in the AHL.
Yeah I watch every Laval game and one of my biggest focuses is Logan Mailloux. While his offensive game keeps improving, his defensive game has made great progress as well. Houle uses him over 20 minutes per game.
He now has 27 points in 39 games!
Is he ready? No.
Should he get a game or two later this season? 💯 % Yes!

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
It should be mentioned that the AHL season is only 72 games long, so really he is on pace for ~19 goals.

Still a good season just not technically pacing for 20+

Reactions: Tyson

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Fantastic

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
He only has 1G and 6A on the PP. That seems kinda low, no?
Those are surprising numbers. Makes his production more impressive in a way though but we do want that PP QB.

I don’t think those low PP numbers are exactly indicative of his PP potential. Too good a passer and shooter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad