Post-Game Talk: Lmao worst collapse in NHL history

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
Panthers haven't adjusted at all. Outscored 20-5 since the end of the 2nd game 3. Oilers keep that cherry picker that keeps the Panthers d spread out and they haven't countered it for 3 f***ing games. I appreciate that Edmonton is a weak road team but cmon the Panthers are broken. 5 goals with McDavid having zero points lol. He's gonna pop off, it feels like a 9-3 redux is going to happen.

I actually think the Panthers have a good shot to win on Monday, but they have to go out there and play their best game in period one, as opposed to whatever they've been doing the last 3.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
I actually think the Panthers have a good shot to win on Monday, but they have to go out there and play their best game in period one, as opposed to whatever they've been doing the last 3.

Yeah, I think we’ve played a manageable game after the first period. I too think we have a decent shot to win - the team has been pretty good in games that truly matter, although on the other hand we’ve looked completely broken for 3.33 straight games. I think they have to score the first goal.

Reactions: harv33173

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreChamps
Jul 13, 2013
Why? They haven't adjusted at all, why would now be the time? Honestly the best shot would be Bob (who seems broken, not that he's been an issue) getting hot for 1 game. I have no idea why Vegas has Florida as -115 favorites so like I said either they win or I make up most of my ticket costs lol.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Why? They haven't adjusted at all, why would now be the time? Honestly the best shot would be Bob (who seems broken, not that he's been an issue) getting hot for 1 game. I have no idea why Vegas has Florida as -115 favorites so like I said either they win or I make up most of my ticket costs lol.

Cuz game 7

Imagine going from playing to win a Stanley Cup to playing to not be known as the biggest choke job in 80 years

something something this is what you dream of as a kid something something

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
Panthers haven't adjusted at all. Outscored 20-5 since the end of the 2nd game 3. Oilers keep that cherry picker that keeps the Panthers d spread out and they haven't countered it for 3 f***ing games. I appreciate that Edmonton is a weak road team but cmon the Panthers are broken. 5 goals with McDavid having zero points lol. He's gonna pop off, it feels like a 9-3 redux is going to happen.
I don’t feel like we can get blown out like that by this team at home. I think game 5 showed that too. Two separate 3 goal leads and we had 16 minutes to just find 1. Edmonton will sit back with a lead like they’ve done the last two. Game 4 we just quit after 5-1.

I do agree that we haven’t adjusted but I also don’t really know how drastically you can try to change things at this stage. Ekblad and Mikkola need to win or at least disrupt the 1 on 1s in the neutral zone when the forecheck is beat. Feel like they’ve been getting picked on (mostly Ekblad).

I feel like everyone as a collective unit just needs to be a little more mindful of when the forecheck is beat and get into the backcheck quicker

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
This is a very very similar feeling as someone who lived through that 2011 run.
Our players and franchise never recovered mentally from that loss and a #1 powerhouse team that dominated the NHL instantly went into a tailspin eventually causing ownership to lose their minds, management/coaches to get fired, and a 10 year decade of darkness led by Jim freaking Benning.
As a fan, it's still traumatic to think about 13 years later.

If you guys blow this, it would be even worse than what happened to us in 2011. PRAY that you win game 7 for the sake of your franchise and your own sanity as fans
Yeah this could really happen, but the one thing that keeps me optimistic that it won't happen if we lose is Zito.

Almost every move he's made has changed this team for the better. I trust that if we lose, he'll make the necessary changes to keep this team competitive.

Last edited:

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Steve kozari and Dan o’rourke…I thought we were cool? I thought we were friends? What the hell was that in game 5? Fine, we got the extra games, the extra arena and tv revenues, now can you help a friend out here in game 7?

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreChamps
Jul 13, 2013
Funny how we actually go 7 in a Stanley cup final vs being swept or stomped in 5 and yet this feels worse somehow, because it’s less so about how competitive they were across the entire series and it being overshadowed by a historical, unfathomable collapse of epic proportions. At least in the previous 2 they went on insane, unprecedented runs that no one expected, we were all incredibly proud of, and it was cute they were there at all. Ever since they lost last year, they were so upset, angry and determined. They began training camp with that single mindset, won the division when some didn’t even think they’d make the playoffs, they swat Tampa in 5 (while depleted vs previous years sure, but still), beating the bruins and swayman in 6 and winning 3 straight to best the top team in the league and shesterkin, then go up a whopping 3-0 in the final. Seemingly, nothing could stop them. 1 win away from finally winning it all and only lost 5 games the entire playoffs before that and now? Losing 4 straight to squander it all? Which only happened 1 single time in the leagues history in 19 freaking 42 when only 6 teams played? I’d have to give props to McDavid, an all time great, similar to Brady and the falcons, but he alone isn’t enough, the players, the coaches, this WAS winnable. Idk what happened and while any one can win on any given night, they will need to be extremely lucky on Monday to even have a chance. Forget if it goes to OT, McDavid is winning that game himself if it does. There is literally nothing more that id want for them to pull this off, I just can’t grasp a scenario where they do
It's a mystery for me too. Obviously 3-0 was a bit misleading because game 1 was robbery, and even though I think Florida deserved game 3, Edmonton played well in the 3rd. But Florida is playing like it's Columbus in November. I never expected a sweep but the games haven't even been competitive, yeah game 5 wasn't terrible but they were down 3 goals, an NHL game that's 3-0 more likely ends up 5-3 than 6-0.

the team met after the game last night.

the coaches have been making adjustments. they've had to because Edmonton has forced us to by sending guys out to anchor the neutral zone after a turnover. our D is having to decide whether they can gamble and pinch and we're off our game now. mess's breathless oiler favoritism is hard to bear but I just watched the clip of the post-game show and I think he's right - Edmonton's forced us away from our high-pressure pinch game that disrupted them in games 1-3 and we're in-between right now.

we tamped down on the rush chances in general but we've been making terrible plays, with and without the puck that have resulted in grade A+ rush chances that are in a different category. and, to be fair, they are burying them.

we we're better on the PK and didn't give up a shorty but the oilers are owning virtually every aspect of play right now and we keep making mistakes - swaggy's pizza, four players below the dots on Henrique's goal, terrible shot by gus on that 3rd one. kinda feels like whack-a-mole for Maurice as the team's play and confidence have slipped.

you gotta give the oilers credit - they are playing good hockey. they've adjusted, they are winning in a different fashion every night. most importantly, they stopped giving away goals and applied themselves 110% to defense and winning battles. we've kinda gone in the opposite direction as our guys' confidence (maybe stamina) has faltered.

there are tactical issues and there are confidence issues. as the PDOCast guys said today, we've run out of time to fix things.

I know this group has it in them to beat the oilers on Monday but they have not given us a lot of reason to believe. as we all know, we can't chase the game. I can't see Edmonton throwing in the towel but first goal would give the players and fans a jolt of energy and maybe, just maybe, put some doubt in the oilers' minds.

all that said, I will be watching and rooting on Monday (and next year...)
In addition to the cherry picking forward, Oilers have been sending additional help down low and switching dmen which is killing Florida's pressure, which is how the Panthers have success. Here's a good breakdown: Edmonton Oilers vs. Florida Panthers Game 6: A Tactical Review

The extra help down low has made the past couple games far more low event, which is beneficial to the Oilers because Skinner is not a good goalie (he's barely broken a sweat for long stretches), and the Oilers are elite on special teams. Honestly Panthers should go back to Brunette hockey for this game, opening it up would favor them.

Reactions: harv33173 and zeroG
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad