Confirmed with Link: Linus Ullmark traded to OTT for 25th, Kastelic and Korpisalo(25% retained)

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I, just don’t understand how Korpisalo is a part of the deal.

That’s absolutely bonkers.

If you’d have told me we could give up the Boston 1st to be rid of Korp’s contract, I’d have thought long and hard.

Paying 4 million of his deal over 4 years isn’t a big deal for us, all things considered.
3 mill for a vet backup for them is pretty valuable to play with Swayman. They won't get that in the free agent market with Stolarz who will get more

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Korpisalo has backup numbers and got a big contract after his best season. He's been arguably starter caliber in 3 of his 9 seasons, especially when measured against his goaltending peers playing behind the same teams. Last year was by far the most games he's ever played. This past season was his 3rd poor season statistically out of the last 4. Conveniently, the outlier was the one prior to UFA status. Another was his rookie season 9 years ago. It's fine to hope he plays better, and he could, but it seems like a risk I'd rather another team make while we go with a goalie with much better career statistics.

Reactions: lang006

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Korpisalo has backup numbers and got a big contract after his best season. He's been arguably starter caliber in 3 of his 9 seasons, especially when measured against his goaltending peers playing behind the same teams. Last year was by far the most games he's ever played. This past season was his 3rd poor season statistically out of the last 4. Conveniently, the outlier was the one prior to UFA status. Another was his rookie season 9 years ago. It's fine to hope he plays better, and he could, but it seems like a risk I'd rather another team make while we go with a goalie with much better career statistics.
he will be a backup in Bos and is cost controlled as a good one

it fits what they want

I am glad he is gone cause him and Forsberg are both backup caliber

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
In a bubble, 3M is not a crazy number for a veteran backup goalie in today's NHL, even one coming off of a terrible season who has an up and down history. The problem isn't even the cap hit, it's the term. If it was Forsberg going the other way, the reaction would be mixed. Many people would say that Ottawa shouldn't have given up a 1st for what could be another rental.

What people can't wrap their head around is that they think dumping Korpisalo with 4 years of term should cost roughly a 1st, so they are trying to figure out why Ottawa got Ullmark for free.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
In a bubble, 3M is not a crazy number for a veteran backup goalie in today's NHL, even one coming off of a terrible season who has an up and down history. The problem isn't even the cap hit, it's the term. If it was Forsberg going the other way, the reaction would be mixed. Many people would say that Ottawa shouldn't have given up a 1st for what could be another rental.

What people can't wrap their head around is that they think dumping Korpisalo with 4 years of term should cost roughly a 1st, so they are trying to figure out why Ottawa got Ullmark for free.
I wouldn’t say a 1st, but if you proposed that we’d be dumping Korpi with retention for our 2nd rounder (39th overall) I think 98% of his board would like it. We’re giving away a slightly better pick and getting a starter for at least year in what is probably our most important season (Brady’s NMC kicks in next year).

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Good trade, but really want to know if there is at least a hand shake agreement on an extension already in place or not. Top marks for getting rid of Korpisalo though, didn't think that would be possible especially with the Bruins.

Ulmark feels like he is going to fit in and the extension on will get done. Ottawas hockey culture now is strong and Ulmark will like it on and off the ice and uk a timely extend

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Ulmark feels like he is going to fit in and the extension on will get done. Ottawas hockey culture now is strong and Ulmark will like it on and off the ice and uk a timely extend

That's a very optimistic viewpoint. Nothing wrong with that but with all the things we've seen in previous years, I think there's definitely a decent risk that he doesn't want to re-sign.

Does that mean he won't? Absolutely not.

Debrincat felt like a fit before he played a game here. We've even seen Stone ask out. Stranger things have happened.

I surely hope he re-signs. That would be a categoric win for this franchise.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
On paper, this appears to be a net win for Ottawa, based on shipping out Korpisalo, who most people thought was untradable. Yes, retaining 25% of his contract, and paying the 1 Million signing bonus to Ullmark helped grease the wheels on this trade….but I also have to believe an extension has been agreed to, behind closed doors, in order for Ullmark to agree to this trade….assuming Ottawa was on his NTL.

So once July 1st rolls around, when believe an extension can be (legally) negotiated, then we’ll have a better understanding of this trade….. but if the rumoured extension comes to fruition.. and Ullmark plays like Bruin, instead of a Sabre, then Ottawa wins this trade from my point of view.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I have ST next to the Bs backup net minder.

Linus is a great guy and player.

Most Bruins fans will miss him. I will cheer for him except when he plays the Bs. I hope you guys have an excellent season.

He really helped Swayman's game grow.

I will miss those goalie hugs.

This was pretty cool too.

Last edited:

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
If anyone needs more encouragement, here are the last 10 players drafted at 25 (excluding the two most recent).

Corson ceulemans
Justin Barron
Connor McMichael
Dominik bokk
Ryan poehling
Riley Tufte
Jack Roslovic
David Pastranak
Michael McCarron
Jordan Schmaltz

1 game breaker, a few decent players and a couple busts.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
That's a very optimistic viewpoint. Nothing wrong with that but with all the things we've seen in previous years, I think there's definitely a decent risk that he doesn't want to re-sign.

Does that mean he won't? Absolutely not.

Debrincat felt like a fit before he played a game here. We've even seen Stone ask out. Stranger things have happened.

I surely hope he re-signs. That would be a categoric win for this franchise.

He waived to come here, he didn’t waive for LA or Toronto.

I do believe Poulin and Staois have completely changed the culture and Ulmark Will like it here.

Small slip up in the Garrioche interview yesterday when he said “BRADON will sign and extension” and of course that’s Brandon Tanev so I expect the Tabev boys here as well and that all help Ulmark with his decison

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
He waived to come here, he didn’t waive for LA or Toronto.

I do believe Poulin and Staois have completely changed the culture and Ulmark Will like it here

That's the interesting thing. If this was just about boosting his UFA projections, both of those places are better options than here, especially Toronto given the geographic proximity.

The fact that he was willing to come here at all is a good sign. I don't think he would have done it if he wasn't willing to give it a serious shot.

Reactions: DrEasy

Slippy

Dec 8, 2005
highlytouted.ca
Interesting to hear on 32Thoughts that Friedman heard from a league executive that he doesn't think Ottawa was on Ullmark's No-Trade list because he didn't include them because they signed Korpi to a long term deal to #1 last year. Ottawa would have likely been added when submitting a new list next week.

Reactions: WallyD and DrEasy

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
So how is this going to affect the roster and our Cap?

Ostapchuk getting Kastelics job? Halliday?

C - Tim, Josh, Shane, ???
LW- Brady, Greig, Kelly, Crookshank
RW - Giroux, Bath, Joseph, Macewen

If we go all internal promotions, for cap I think we've got 11.3M to cover the money for Pinto, kelly, brann/kleven, ostapchuk, crooked and a 13th forward.

Unless I f***ed that up.

I think that's enough to get pinto signed to term, but it would leave us with a pretty shit bottom six.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Interesting to hear on 32Thoughts that Friedman heard from a league executive that he doesn't think Ottawa was on Ullmark's No-Trade list because he didn't include them because they signed Korpi to a long term deal to #1 last year. Ottawa would have likely been added when submitting a new list next week.

Eh if I was in his position, and given the chaos of the team last year I probably would have put Ottawa there just to be safe.

15 is a big list.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Is the no trade list changed every year?

CornerStone61

Apr 13, 2015
Wasn't there news that came out before the trade that Ullmark explicitly waived his no trade clause for Ottawa? I'm wary of anything Friedman says that is preceded by "thinks".

Mark Stones Spleen

Trouba's elbow
Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
I'm very happy with the trade. Staios did really well.

Saying that, I don't know if Ullmark would have made a huge difference last year with how dysfunctional our D is. Nothing is going to get better until we know how to play defense.

I think Korpi is going to do just fine in Boston, but I feel like most goalies would.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad