Traded Linus Ullmark traded to OTT for 25th, Kastelic and Korpisalo(25% retained)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

God Flower

Somebody hold me
Dec 19, 2008
Ottawa
Joonas Korpisalo reporting for duty, sir!

1719289021475.jpeg

Attachments

• 1719288985739.jpeg
    1719288985739.jpeg
    50.8 KB · Views: 0

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I, just don’t understand how Korpisalo is a part of the deal.

That’s absolutely bonkers.

If you’d have told me we could give up the Boston 1st to be rid of Korp’s contract, I’d have thought long and hard.

Paying 4 million of his deal over 4 years isn’t a big deal for us, all things considered.

The only thing that makes sense is that Boston overplayed their hand and the market collapsed.

If it's 25th OA w/ Korpisalo, then I would imagine without Korpisalo included, we were going to look somewhere else, or our offer was substantially lower, like a future 2nd round pick.

The logic of the trade makes no sense to me because of they traded Ullmark for a 2nd round pick you could at least justify that they would get another player by proxy through opening up 5M as an attractive big market team where players will sign. They don't shed much cap with this deal.

The other angle that I think is possible is that the clock is ticking to the draft and they are in on a player who will cost a 2024 1st. They didn't have one before this trade, and Ottawa moving on from Ullmark would prevent them from getting one.

They also might think that they can move Korpisalo, which isn't the craziest idea now that he is down to 3M. He can still be retained on by either Boston or a third party, or Boston can take back an overpaid F or D with less term. Something like Korpisalo @ 3M for Cam Atkinson and Samuel Ersson. If the Flyers and Torterella like Korpisalo, that's not an awful deal considering Atkinson's buyout would cost PHI an average of 2.1M for 2 seasons.

It's a very strange trade. Even the simplest explanation that maybe Boston likes Korpisalo as a goalie and with goalies like Nedeljkovic getting similar AAVs they were fine with taking him doesn't checkout, since we knew they didn't want him at the deadline last year as part of an Ullmark trade.

It reads like Staios played this optimally and the market crashed in on Boston, so they had to take Korpisalo to facilitate the trade and deal with our problem for us of shopping him because otherwise we were going to walk away and they wouldn't have a market for Ullmark.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I imagine that it's quite likely that when Ullmark gets introduced as a Sen they will likely have a new contract in place & an extension worked out. #1 Goalie ✅

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I still think it's fair to question our core. It's not really deep when you compare and project our guys vs what Cup winners have.

Stutzle-Tkachuk-Sanderson is a hell of a start, but we should have added 2-3 pieces to that.

I think the current situation is salvagable, but it'll require shred trades and effective FA signings. This trade is a good start.
I agree, but we can't win with bottom of the league goaltending. So at least we'll see this year now. Add a righty, add some grit, but we have a real goaltender now. If shit doesn't improve, then you start moving key pieces, but starting at the net is a massive move.

salomonster

Oct 7, 2006
Double dot
I still think it's fair to question our core. It's not really deep when you compare and project our guys vs what Cup winners have.

Stutzle-Tkachuk-Sanderson is a hell of a start, but we should have added 2-3 pieces to that.

I think the current situation is salvagable, but it'll require shred trades and effective FA signings. This trade is a good start.
Agreed but he's not done. They have Chicky and the Joseph trade chips to play with to get a top 4 right handed baddass mofo Dman to locate by trade or by ufa.

They also need to fill out the bottom 6 with depth/been there done that vet pros to pick up.

The thing is, with Korpi off the books for the most part and not loosing the above mentioned 2 guys to pick up a legit #1 goalie (Ullmark) we are in a great situation to make further improvements.

The previous management would have given it away. This time we are way better situation and for sure not done. AND we have the #7 to pick and restock the cubbords!

Reactions: DrEasy and h2

WallyD

Nov 20, 2022
Glad we kept Forsberg. I think he is a good goalie, and if Ullmark is as advertised, we will have one of the best tandems in the league.
So even more reason to keep Alfie around! Might need some Swedish coaching back there for our puck stoppers! Maybe a new blue and yellow team 4th, 5th, 10th, 39th (whatever) jersey?

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Part of this trade that I don't think has been mentioned that makes it even more astounding is that Kastelic was probably a salary dump.

He is a fringe NHLer who we know they were shopping, and he is on 1 way money. Maybe he ends up playing the season in the NHL, but I don't think it's guaranteed that the Bruins would have taken him if they had the option to leave him.

We aren't a budget team like in the past, but 9/10 teams have budgets they have to follow. It's not a video game where we can just spend what we want. So moving an 800k salary that we might have put in the AHL is value to us, not Boston.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Looks like the impossible happened, Staois was able to get rid of Korpisalo & at the same time acquire Ullmark & they still have Chychrun to move, not bad, not bad at all. They got their #1 priority a goalie & still have another chip to make another big deal & fill a need. July 1 Free Agency should be very interesting too.

It will also be interesting as to who replaces Kastelic on the 4th line C spot? I expect Ostapchuk or maybe Halliday which would be intertesting. Is it possible that we could see Ostapchuk, Halliday & Kleven in Ott next yr?
Ostapchuk and Crookshank for the 4th line sounds nice.

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
Ullmark’s underlying numbers and advanced stats are very good, especially compared to when Korpisalo signed here. But still not sure it’s a great idea to give a goalie who’s never played here $35M, especially with all the trouble we’ve had.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I can't believe we got rid of 75% of Korpisalo's contract as part of this. Unbelievable. Never should have gotten that deal and his career numbers bear that out. Getting Ulmark is awesome, and hopefully an extension can be worked out, but this is about the cost I figured just to dump Korpse alone. I wasn't sure that was even gonna be possible at all.

Helped take the sting of the Oilers loss away tonight. Thanks Staios.

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024
I expect Brady to want out after next season unless we improve drastically.

At some point he should be the one to start taking on the responsibility of “improving”.

He now has steady ownership that’s investing in every facet of the team and the new GM just acquired a goalie who won the Vezina last season.

Hopefully he shows up to camp with a commitment to playing disciplined two way hockey for 82 games, even if it means his point totals suffer.

I fully expect Staios to address the D next week, so the question will quickly become “can Brady lead a team to the playoffs” instead of “can management surround Brady with good players.”

The onus is on him (and Stützle and Sanderson) to take the next step.

The not enough around me narrative will soon be tired.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
If we get a legit top 4 RD guy, I’m genuinely not sure what more we can do. The only other questions are coaching and health.

There is also that ridiculous record we have with and without Hamonic, but he’s getting bought out and can’t hurt us anymore.

Reactions: DJB and CallSaul

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Love the trade, but we need to shore up the defense too or nothing will change. I'm sure Staois will be looking to add RD such as Matt Roy, Chris Tanev, Nikita Zadorov, and Brett Pesce when free agency opens.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
If we get a legit top 4 RD guy, I’m genuinely not sure what more we can do. The only other questions are coaching and health.

There is also that ridiculous record we have with and without Hamonic, but he’s getting bought out and can’t hurt us anymore.

I think we need like 3-4 bottom 6 forwards if we are trading Joseph.

Only spots occupied in the bottom 6 would be Pinto/Norris at 3C and Kelly at 4LW.

Reactions: DrEasy

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
Goddamn isn't nice to have a competent GM who makes good trades!!! That's a homerun for us now let's extend Ullmark, I truly believe that if we had Ullmark last season we would have made the playoffs instead of either Washington or the Islanders.

Too bad Green is still the coach
Green is a good coach, for Christ Sake the man hasn't coach one game yet, can you at least give him a chance to prove himself???

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Korpi at 3mill is fine for a backup in Bos

been saying that someone would take him retained

Reactions: WallyD

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
That xga shit is bullshit if you watched both teams play. We might carry play but our breakdowns were catastrophic.

Boston is way more committed to defensive play than our players.
Yeah but doesn't change the fact that our goalies were thrash, they lost us at least 6-7 games

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

fix the bottom 6

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I think Korpisalo is being underrated here and Ullmark is being a bit overrated.

The trade was very fair.

• Haha
Reactions: OD99

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Nah. From every regular stat to every advance metric to even NHL awards say that Ullmark is elite and Korpi is a bum.

You high if you thought that trade was fair.
Did you watch our defense last year?
Even korpi couldn’t believe it.
15 games in you could see he was in disbelief.

Last edited:
Reactions: Senovision
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad