Traded Linus Ullmark traded to OTT for 25th, Kastelic and Korpisalo(25% retained)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Though the Senators were hoping to have a contract extension in place before making the deal, that wasn’t the case and there have been no formal talks with Ullmark’s Sweden-based agent Joakim Persson.

The belief is the attention will turn to those talks in the coming days, and if it happens it will likely be north $6 million per season. Ullmark had to wave his no-trade clause to come here, but is excited about the challenge of suiting up for the Senators.
That's from Bruce.

Reactions: DrEasy and Dionysus

h2

Mar 26, 2002
This is a phenomenal deal. Nice first trade by Steve.

I would have paid this price to get rid of Korpisalo alone. Bringing in Ullmark is amazing.

These are the types of trades we need to make to repair what Dorion did. I actually have some semblance of optimism about this team going forward now.

Reactions: DrEasy and luiginb

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
That's from Bruce.

Don't love that we didn't get to talk to Ullmark at all about an extension.

Like I said when the DeBrincat trade happened, that's a red flag. Might mean he wants to play out the year like DeBrincat, or he could just be asking for too much.

Still in this case we're talking about a late 1st for a top tier starting goalie + getting to dump a bad contract, so it's a win even if Ullmark doesn't extend.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Like I said when the DeBrincat trade happened, that's a red flag. Might mean he wants to play out the year like DeBrincat, or he could just be asking for too much.

Still in this case we're talking about a late 1st for a top tier starting goalie + getting to dump a bad contract, so it's a win even if Ullmark doesn't extend.
He had to waive his NTC to come here so I'm not worried, rumours are he's looking for 35 mil over 5 years though which is workable but high.

Reactions: BigRig4

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024

The positive is, unless he wants to play in the SEL, there’s no “home” for Ullmark to go to. He also apparently doesn’t want to play in the West, or Toronto, so we should stand a good chance at keeping him if we’re willing to pay up.

Reactions: LiseL and DrEasy

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
There were a lot of people very happy about the DBC and Chychrun trades when they happened (not everyone, but a lot), but they didn't come with extensions. So you have to ask, what will one think sometime in the next year if there is no extension? Because Korpi is going the other way, it's hard to see this one being as catastrophic if that happens.

Also, this tells you what the market really was. Boston is not stupid. They took the best deal they had. Not unlike unloading DBC a year ago.

Context is different when you consider the price.

25th overall to dump 3M x 4Y and acquire Ullmark.

Chychrun (and dumping Zaitsev to facilitate acquiring him) cost a 1st round pick that was very likely to be in the top 15, three 2nd round picks, and a 4th.

Debrincat cost 7+39+2nd.

Imagine if we gave up a late 1st and a 4th liner to dump Zaitsev and acquire Chychrun. Nobody would complain now.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Friedman just said the expectation is that Ullmark will play out the season without an extension.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Hopefully alfie can help persuade him to sign longer. I guess no extension this summer so a lot of pressure on everyone to have a good year.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Friedman saying the expectation is Ulmark will play out the season before extending....
I mean makes sense given what the return for him was. I would have traded that package just to dump Korpisalo so. I assume Ullmark will go to Free agency and get paid hopefully we get a playoff run or flip him at the deadline for something.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Friedman says no extension. Ullmark intends to play out the year.

I think that explains the price. It was probably a situation where, if they wanted the 1st they had to take Korpisalo. Otherwise, it was probably much less. Boston may have overplayed their hand, with Calgary benefiting from moving Markstrom first and getting the better return.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad