Traded Linus Ullmark traded to OTT for 25th, Kastelic and Korpisalo(25% retained)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
he will be a backup in Bos and is cost controlled as a good one

it fits what they want

I am glad he is gone cause him and Forsberg are both backup caliber
Better them than us with that contract. He should be fine behind Swayman, but he's not just coming off one bad season, he's put up bad numbers in 3 of the last 4 now, so he's got to prove he can. Leveling out at .895-.900 seems reasonable.

I see a lot of claims that Korpi will be better and Ullmark will just be the same as other goalies in Ottawa, but that's too simple for me. It's just words and their careers really say otherwise. Last year was last year, but it's not like the guy was putting up good numbers much of the rest of his career in contrast to the consistency Ullmark has shown. He never had any business getting that contract imo and happy to wash our hands of it.

Reactions: LiseL

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Better them than us with that contract. He should be fine behind Swayman, but he's not just coming off one bad season, he's put up bad numbers in 3 of the last 4 now, so he's got to prove he can. Leveling out at .895-.900 seems reasonable.

I see a lot of claims that Korpi will be better and Ullmark will just be the same as other goalies in Ottawa, but that's too simple for me. It's just words and their careers really say otherwise. Last year was last year, but it's not like the guy was putting up good numbers much of the rest of his career in contrast to the consistency Ullmark has shown. He never had any business getting that contract imo and happy to wash our hands of it.
Korpi would be a good backup who can get hot. He just isn't starter material

3mill is the going rate for good backups and i suspect that bar will be higher this summer with the cap up

lang006

Jan 2, 2020
Did you watch our defense last year?
Even korpi couldn’t believe it.
15 games in you could see he was in disbelief.
I tuned in to every Sens game. In my opinion our team D play started out last year making the same costly mistakes and routine missed backcheck assignments as they have been doing the past 4-5 years really. Nothing was being learned from it or adjustments made to try and correct. Thats the part that always boggled my mind during DJ Smith tenure. Then, not surprisingly following the coaching change (It took about 10 - 12 games following) I found there was a noticeable focus or shift towards playing a better team D. Minimal systems were adjusted but simply with improved fundamentals it greatly lessened the amount of quality chances scoring chances given up on a game by game basis. Goalies would have a decent game here and there but for the most part that is when I really started to notice how poor Korpi and Forsberg routinely were playing. We were immediately put in some first period deficits that might not have been necessarily deserved and those are very deflating for the team. This was far too common occurrence and cost us some games.

Anyways I'm pumped about going into next year with a legit NHL starter and seeing where it can take us. Bonus points for getting Korpi off the roster even if there is a minor retention involved. I think Forsberg can be a solid backup which he has done for teams in the past. Very impressed this deal got completed without including a big time roster player in the deal or the 7th overall.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
My guess is he waived knowing he has free agency coming up. He will get a ton of games to build up his numbers and get paid.

If he stayed in Boston he’s sharing duties again

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I won’t be surprised if Boston buys out Korpisalo.

I could see them buying him out next year or the year after.

I don't think they will want 8 years of dead cap on the books. It isn't like they dumped a bad contract on us and they can justify a Korpisalo buyout as being preferable to the bad contract they dumped.

My theory is that nobody else was going to give them a 1st and we made taking Korpisalo a deal breaker. So now they will do our dirty work for us and try to find a home for him in a bad contract swap for a more useful player who is on a contract with less term.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
- Thrilled to have Ullmark here, goaltending was his biggest priority
- Started talking to Boston about a deal at the TDL, what it looked like changed a lot along the way, but glad it came together before the draft
- Talked with Ullmark last night, great person, family man, will fit in well, happy to be in Ottawa
- Discussions about an extension will be a part of the process moving forward. Excited to sit down with the Ullmark camp
- Will continue to explore every opportunity to improve the team, both via trade and UFA, but will keep an eye on the future
- It'd take a lot for them to move off the #7 pick, but he's open to calls from other teams
- Unlike other years, it's harder to predict how the top 6 will shake out, so they'll have to be nimble about opportunities
Much appreciated

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Korpi would be a good backup who can get hot. He just isn't starter material

3mill is the going rate for good backups and i suspect that bar will be higher this summer with the cap up
Imo he has to prove that still. The numbers imo just don't really support that statement other than the year before he got the contract, which seems pretty convenient. 3 poor seasons out of the last 4, below backup quality is concerning.

I also didn't like what I saw last year, regardless of the team in front of him.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
My guess is he waived knowing he has free agency coming up. He will get a ton of games to build up his numbers and get paid.

If he stayed in Boston he’s sharing duties again
Ultra risky though playing behind that charmin ultra D

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
I'd say close to a 0% chance.

The truth is, we gave him away (or paid to give him away) at his absolute lowest value. $3M for a backup that's locked up to a multi-year contract isn't too shabby, especially in the context of a quickly rising cap. And especially if you're a team that's highly skilled defensively and think you can insulate the guy in a way his last team couldn't. In 2 years, the cap should be $95M+, at which point you won't see a single veteran goalie signing for less than that.

Take a look at the UFA list this year. There's 5 guys who played enough games to be considered full-time backups and there's going to be significant price action on at least Samsonov and Stolarz. Those guys will both get north of $3.5M, easily. That leaves you with Kahkonen, Wedgewood and DeSmith. At least one of those guys stays where they are. The musical chairs of goaltending is simply too unknown of a variable to risk it on landing someone. Then you have to consider the cost to acquire a backup via trade.

The calculus Boston made is actually pretty clever, if it works out. Much in the same way, that the trade was pretty clever for us if we can nail down an extension.

Reactions: LiseL and HSF

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I'd say close to a 0% chance.

The truth is, we gave him away (or paid to give him away) at his absolute lowest value. $3M for a backup that's locked up to a multi-year contract isn't too shabby, especially in the context of a quickly rising cap. And especially if you're a team that's highly skilled defensively and think you can insulate the guy in a way his last team couldn't. In 2 years, the cap should be $95M+, at which point you won't see a single veteran goalie signing for less than that.

Take a look at the UFA list this year. There's 5 guys who played enough games to be considered full-time backups and there's going to be significant price action on at least Samsonov and Stolarz. Those guys will both get north of $3.5M, easily. That leaves you with Kahkonen, Wedgewood and DeSmith. At least one of those guys stays where they are. The musical chairs of goaltending is simply too unknown of a variable to risk it on landing someone. Then you have to consider the cost to acquire a backup.

The calculus Boston made is actually pretty clever, if it works out. Much in the same way, that the trade was pretty clever for us if we can nail down an extension.
Brandon Bussi isn’t waiver exempt. Are they going to bury Korpisalo, trade him, run 3 goalies or lose Bussi on waivers ?

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I thought about that also. So hard to say - even with us retaining, he's still a pretty expensive backup, but on the other hand acquiring a "veteran backup" is much easier said than done. Pickings will be pretty slim out there come July 1. Chris Driedger anyone?

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
He was awesome after that. What are you guys watching???
He was the biggest strongest guy on the team.
I appreciated that he took the time to work on his game. I always liked him, though I thought he was really sub par last year. I don't recall him being awesome tbh, but I'll take your word for it.

Fairly replaceable IMO.

Soured on Staios for what? He hasn't had any time to do anything aside from ditch a UFA at the Trade deadline lol
I'm not sure a lot of people were thrilled with Travis Green. We'll have to wait and see on that one though.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Ullmark and Forsberg lived 38 minutes away from each other.
There is a 1 year age difference too. I wonder if they played against each other growing up?

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Brandon Bussi isn’t waiver exempt. Are they going to bury Korpisalo, trade him, run 3 goalies or lose Bussi on waivers ?
I also cant see them running Swayman and Bussi as their top 2 guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad