Traded Linus Ullmark traded to OTT for 25th, Kastelic and Korpisalo(25% retained)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tragedy

Jan 10, 2013
Regina, SK
I'm not sure a lot of people were thrilled with Travis Green. We'll have to wait and see on that one though.
That's fair. That is for sure a wait and see though. As much as I hate the appeal to authority, I'm gonna guess someone who has been in the NHL and hockey management for the majority of their adult life knows a little more about what is needed in an NHL locker room over a bunch of fans who make 15 leg parlays and are surprised it busts :laugh:

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
Keep in mind the whole planning to play out the whole year thing is likely a bit of postering.

Sounds like he asked for 5x7M, and Ottawa didn’t want to commit to that, so that’s his walk away number right now. Who knows if /where it actually lands.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
That's fair. That is for sure a wait and see though. As much as I hate the appeal to authority, I'm gonna guess someone who has been in the NHL and hockey management for the majority of their adult life knows a little more about what is needed in an NHL locker room over a bunch of fans who make 15 leg parlays and are surprised it busts :laugh:
Totally. And Staios is certainly operating like he's been around management a long time, so I defer as well.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I like the trade. But we just love trading away our biggest strongest players and not caring eh?

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I grew tired of him sitting on his hands all season, doing his evaluations. The team was floundering and I guess he didn't see the point in making moves to save the season. "Another wasted season of the core" I thought. But if that's his process to then pull off big roster moves this offseason, then great.

The Tara trade was brutal (mitigating circumstances sure) and I don't like the Green hire. So I've been generally underwhelmed.

I'm happy to pull a 180 on Staios if he continues to make solid long-term roster moves.

Tragedy

Jan 10, 2013
Regina, SK
I grew tired of him sitting on his hands all season, doing his evaluations. The team was floundering and I guess he didn't see the point in making moves to save the season. "Another wasted season of the core" I thought. But if that's his process to then pull off big roster moves this offseason, then great.

The Tara trade was brutal (mitigating circumstances sure) and I don't like the Green hire. So I've been generally underwhelmed.

I'm happy to pull a 180 on Staios if he continues to make solid long-term roster moves.
100% fair opinion to have. I just think it's fair to give Steve some time to put his stamp on the team with the mess he inherited. Not really fair to ask him to make chicken salad outta chicken shit overnight haha

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Keep in mind the whole planning to play out the whole year thing is likely a bit of postering.

Sounds like he asked for 5x7M, and Ottawa didn’t want to commit to that, so that’s his walk away number right now. Who knows if /where it actually lands.

7M is reasonably his ceiling, so it doesn't make sense to commit to that now when it's more likely that he softens his stance as he gets comfortable here, or his stance stays the same. The odds of it going up from 7M are very low. It would take another Vezina/franchise level season. At that point, when you have the assurance he can be a franchise guy in our system, I'm sure they're happier to pay him 8.25M than they would have been to pay him 7M blind (no pun intended) this offseason.

While I don't think waiting for the extension is an intentional strategy, it's the same thing Dorion should have done with Murray. Sign a fair 1 year settlement, let him play out there year, and revisit things in January. Although, I suspect we needed the term so that we could push some of his salary down the road and maximize our roster under the budget.

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
He is a spare part and is a player that firmly belongs on a 4th line. He's the definition of replaceable imo.
Biggest strongest player on the team. Young. Looked very good since Katchouk arrived
I like the trade I’m just saying people tend to undervalue our big strong players.
Then we end up being the easiest team to play against and Brady has to fight everyone.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Biggest strongest player on the team. Young. Looked very good since Katchouk arrived
I like the trade I’m just saying people tend to undervalue our big strong players.
Then we end up being the easiest team to play against and Brady has to fight everyone.

But he's not good. Would you have preferred if we traded little scrawny Ridly Greig instead?

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I hear you, he's just not a guy I think moves the needle either way, nor did he always use the size he has anyways. Not much of a mean streak there. 4th line players can be replaced.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
He is a spare part and is a player that firmly belongs on a 4th line. He's the definition of replaceable imo.
Guys like Kastelic are available every summer in free agency, and then again in early October on the waiver wire. He was a healthy scratch here on a number of nights. No reason to lose a minute of sleep over this one.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Are we talking about Kastelic?

It's a cliché, but you can be as big and strong as you want, if you're not hard-nosed and willing to battle and finish checks as a 4th liner, you're useless. I saw way too many fly-by's. I have no time for soft 4th liners. Get Ostapchuk in there. Alfie exposed Kasty bad this year. Probably a reason he was included.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

WallyD

Nov 20, 2022
Something to consider... Prior to yesterday, Steve Staios had very little NHL GM history to bank on, a couple small transactions and the Terasenko trade to FLA. His hands were tied on that one, having very weak cards to play. A significant benefit of the Ullmark trade yesterday, a trade many are praising, is he now heads to the NHL entry draft in Vegas with much more street cred. Consider too that players (and their agents) contemplating a move to Ottawa may now regard Ottawa as a place to be, an up and coming young team with solid ownership and strong management, no longer a cluster-effed gong show. I'm certainly not claiming all the Sens issues have magically evaporated because there is still work to do. That said, you would be hard pressed to claim significant steps have not been made toward improving the team direction. Already a great summer with more moves to come. Pretty solid start!

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
Are we talking about Kastelic?

It's a cliché, but you can be as big and strong as you want, if you're not hard-nosed and willing to battle and finish checks as a 4th liner, you're useless. I saw way too many fly-by's. I have no time for soft 4th liners. Get Ostapchuk in there. Alfie exposed Kasty bad this year. Probably a reason he was included.
Wow it’s like a broken record. Yes alfie chewed him out.
And then….he was VERY good the rest of the way.
One of the best 4th liners we’ve had in a looong time.

I’m saying I like the trade. But kasty is a good relatively unique fourth liner.

So yall think Ullmark re-signs or is gonna be a rental ?
Re signs. Almost 100%

There's dozens of Kastelic's in free agency
Don’t see them. Whatever. He’s gone. And yes he’s just a fourth liner. Good luck to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad