Confirmed with Link: Linus Ullmark traded to OTT for 25th, Kastelic and Korpisalo(25% retained)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I’m betting Ulmark likes it here and extends. Green made Markstrom look good and he’ll do the same for Ullmark.

Tragedy

Jan 10, 2013
Regina, SK
I think this line of thinking has merit, and that's what his agent will tell him, but I doubt he thinks this way or is on the forefront of his mind. Everyone is different, but he likely has confidence in his ability and is sure he will show it when the time comes. I doubt he's thinking the bad what ifs himself, but the advice from the agent will likely be take the money now.

Ottawa has been a bit of a goalie graveyard, but lets be realistic about what was in play. Murray, Korpisalo and Forsberg all had red flags on their resume that aren't on Ullmark's. Murray with the injury issues and hard down year prior. Forsberg had bounced around and was mostly unspectacular. Korpisalo was a yo yo that mostly posted backup or below backup numbers, and got the deal off the back of an outlier season. Other guys they've had in the past like Nilsson, Condon, etc. were never really great prior either, so I think the Ottawa effect gets overstated a bit, and it's just non starters giving inconsistent performance in a lot of cases. They just haven't acquired guys that are capable, at that stage of their careers.
This is a man who put up a 2.63 GAA and .917 save percentage for a Buffalo Sabres team that lost 18 games in a row. I'm sure he has confidence in his abilities and has proven he can still put up good numbers on terrible teams

Reactions: WallyD

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Boston has 4-5 players locked up long term. They need cap space to start signing extensions. Moving Ullmark was a no brainer and the fact we got him for next to nothing shows that. Dave and Steve are veteran NHLers who have friends in high places so that works to their advantage. At the price Korpisalo will do fine as a back up. Great deal but not as amazing as it's being made out to be. I just hope Chychrun can finally be the #1 D errbody said he wus so we win that chip come November. Ya heard mehhh. lol

WallyD

Nov 20, 2022
Stop projecting. We already were a place to be. We landed a few big name free agents like Giroux and Tarasenko the last two seasons.
Oh, thank you, thank you thank you! You are absolutely spot on, totally right, and perfect as always... Let's be honest, the real reason these players all want to be in the Ottawa scene is so they can be privy to your brilliant posts!

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Boston has 4-5 players locked up long term. They need cap space to start signing extensions. Moving Ullmark was a no brainer and the fact we got him for next to nothing shows that. Dave and Steve are veteran NHLers who have friends in high places so that works to their advantage. At the price Korpisalo will do fine as a back up. Great deal but not as amazing as it's being made out to be. I just hope Chychrun can finally be the #1 D errbody said he wus so we win that chip come November. Ya heard mehhh. lol
The cost was basically the assumed cost to dump Korpisalo's contract. I don't see how that's not a major win. Ullmark's and Korpisalo's career numbers are not remotely comparable.

Chychrun is almost certainly still getting dealt, so you're probably safe on that one lol.

Reactions: OttawaSenators11

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Stop projecting. We already were a place to be. We landed a few big name free agents like Giroux and Tarasenko the last two seasons.
Situation for Giroux was different. He has connections to the area and those connections and family reasons were motivation. Tarasenko was looking for dollars + term, but when those offers didn’t materialize, then he took an interim deal with at least one of those attributes (dollars).

You didn’t mention Debrincat of course which was good idea.

Last edited:

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
The cost was basically the assumed cost to dump Korpisalo's contract. I don't see how that's not a major win. Ullmark's and Korpisalo's career numbers are not remotely comparable.

Chychrun is almost certainly still getting dealt, so you're probably safe on that one lol.
What if the assumed cost to dump Korpisalo's contract was nowhere close to reality? Wouldn't that be the more logical way to look at it?

If a team like Boston doesn't perceive Korpisalo to be such a negative asset, then why do the majority of fans continue to?

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
What if the assumed cost to dump Korpisalo's contract was nowhere close to reality? Wouldn't that be the more logical way to look at it?

If a team like Boston doesn't perceive Korpisalo to be such a negative asset, then why do the majority of fans continue to?
Because his career stats tell us he is at his cost and term. A comparable Jack Campbell situation was not able to be resolved. He's been objectively bad statistically 3 of the last 4 seasons at minimum. If Boston wants to take the chance that will change, that's their choice. But yes, obviously the cost was not as high as assumed because it wasn't paid. I'm not saying that there was effectively no payment for Ullmark involved. I just don't see how this can be framed as anything but a win for the Senators given Korpisalo's contract was assumed as getting in the way of upgrades, but actually helped to serve that purpose, even if the excessive assumed cost to dump him was off base. Worth pointing out too the retention helps make it more palatable.

Staios said it himself that upgrading goaltending was the top priority and that was my feelings about the offseason priorities too. Korpse may go and be a decent backup for Boston, but there was no path forward for him in Ottawa and he'll never be a quality starter, so whatever.

Last edited:

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024

I think it's far more likely that Ullmark, due to his contract status and ability to control where he landed, had less value than fans thoughts vs. Korpisalo having more value.

Honestly, I wouldn't at all surprised if the Bruins retain more of his salary and flip him somewhere else this week, or even buy him out. It's kind of strange that the Sweeney hasn't put out a statement or anything. Usually when a trade of this magnitude happens, the GM provides some generic quote about how they think the player they acquired will fit in well. But crickets right now, as far as I can tell.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

Because he was really bad at stopping pucks last year? The eye test said that. The numbers say that.

That's not to say he won't rebound (nowhere else to go other than up really, except the AHL) but he was awful last year. That plus being signed medium to long term means he was not exactly coveted. But who knows how individual GMs feel. If Boston's GM loves Korpi for some reason then good on our management for finding them and exploiting that.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
I think it's far more likely that Ullmark, due to his contract status and ability to control where he landed, had less value than fans thoughts vs. Korpisalo having more value.

Honestly, I wouldn't at all surprised if the Bruins retain more of his salary and flip him somewhere else this week, or even buy him out. It's kind of strange that the Sweeney hasn't put out a statement or anything. Usually when a trade of this magnitude happens, the GM provides some generic quote about how they think the player they acquired will fit in well. But crickets right now, as far as I can tell.
Ullmark's value definitely took a significant hit due to Boston's cap situation, his expiring contract, and the extremely limited trading partners. Ottawa was really the only team that could make the trade work so easily.

That being said, Ullmark is a fantastic goalie. He's 2nd among active goalies in save percentage, and although that stat is influenced by the team you're on, you don't have the 2nd highest if you're some mediocre goalie leeching off the success of a good team.

Reactions: LiseL

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002

Because his stats are garbage, he played like garbage, he let in deflating garbage goals regularly on the first couple of shots, and he’s never been even average in any given year other than his rookie year 8 years ago.

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024

Friedman clarifies his thoughts on Linus extension. Time 27:26

It's so funny what Friedman passes off as "insider info" sometimes.

"Unless Ulmark gets an offer he likes from Ottawa, he's prepared to play out the year."

No shit! Ullmark not willing to take discount with a team he's never played for right after being traded to them!

Staios was also asked bout whether Ullmark had a NTC on TSN1200 this morning, and he said "that was part of the process". So take that for what you will.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa

"Unless Ulmark gets an offer he likes from Ottawa, he's prepared to play out the year."

No shit! Ullmark not willing to take discount with a team he's never played for right after being traded to them!

Staios was also asked bout whether Ullmark had a NTC on TSN1200 this morning, and he said "that was part of the process". So take that for what you will.
Exactly. Still more positive news than what we.were told yesterday.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012

He's such a Leaf coper at heart.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Friedman also said he believes Ottawa wasn't on Ullmarks no trade list. Meaning he would have been willing to come to the Sens but assumed Ottawa wouldnt want him because they had Korpi signed long term.

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024
Friedman can be such a tool sometimes. "Unless Ullmark gets an extension he's happy with, he won't sign". What amazing insider info there Elliotte.

If you write down what these insiders and read it closely, it's always funny.

Dreger's insider trading bits are usually something like this: "James, Brad Treliving is disappointed with the results in the playoffs, and he's open to change. But he won't force change, and he won't make a deal for the sake of making a deal. I'm told he'll pick up the phone if teams call about Mitch Marner and listen to what they have to say, but he'll also pick up his own phone and call Mitch Marner to discuss a potential extension. What happens is anyones guess, this is a fluid situation, but I'm confident in saying there might be change, or there might not be any change."

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024
Markstrom was good for a while

Green coached Markstrom for 3 seasons in Vancouver. Markstrom had a .912, .912 and .918 SV% during those seasons. Best 3 year span of his career. He had been a back-up before those seasons, topping out at 32 games played in a year.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Green coached Markstrom for 3 seasons in Vancouver. Markstrom had a .912, .912 and .918 SV% during those seasons.
And has had .910, .915, .922 seasons without him. His 2 seasons in Vancouver prior to Green were .910 and .915.

He’s just been a pretty good goalie, Green having him in his prime. I don’t think there’s a correlation between Green and Markstrom’s stats.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad