Traded Linus Ullmark traded to OTT for 25th, Kastelic and Korpisalo(25% retained)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
I’ll say this, I think Korpi will be better in Bos and Ullmark won’t be as good as he was in Bos as he will be in Ottawa.

We still upgraded significantly however
And getting out of the previous contract to get your own guy in place is not a bad formula.

Reactions: DJB

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Things move fast, based on how Andlauer and Staios have handled their first ~9 months in town, I don't think anyone can describe this as a gongshow.

Just now on TSN1200, Staios said, "we have a young core, but they're not that young anymore." He's not going to beat around the bush. He's going to do what he can to improve the roster, but at the end of the day, it's the players that go out on the ice.

The results next season largely rest on the shoulders of Tkachuk, Stützle and Sanderson.
I did not mean to say it is still a gongshow in Ottawa.

More that if we still suck, Brady will want out because he's had enough of being on a bad team.

It will be about how our leadership core handles it but I don't expect Brady to be able to carry this team on his own, not after so many years of a total gongshow. It unfortunately will take a long while to recover from the Dorion Disaster.

Even Alfie eventually had enough of carrying the team. Brady isn't so old that he's there but he did see his brother take his destiny into his own hands.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Hey lads Ullmark is here now. Past performance no matter how you dissect it is nice to discuss but the proof will be in the pudding here. We are gong to have to wait for what comes here .

I think Sens fans should be excited about acquiring him and getting rid of Korpisalo in one foul swoop. Hopefully we can get a 1st back for Chychrun and get a couple great prospects in the draft. Ullmark strengthens the perception of the team from the outside to build out the D through free agency if it comes to that.

No matter how you slice it .. moving Korpisalo while acquiring the best goalie available is fantastic news.

Staios is in the correct the problems left by Dorion over the past 2 years phase. This one he made out well on.

btw I disagree with the take that 25OA is fodder in this draft .. there are some good players available in that range

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I was always under the impression that Ullmark would have preferred to stay in Boston, but listening to that interview, that doesn't seem to be true.
I think he preferred to stay but Boston management told him "that isn't an option for us, we have to sign Swayman and you need a contract; we've reached the end of the road".

Nothing personal and he understands it: he was going to get moved and he knew it was imminent so he made his peace.

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024
I think he preferred to stay but Boston management told him "that isn't an option for us, we have to sign Swayman and you need a contract; we've reached the end of the road".

Nothing personal and he understands it: he was going to get moved and he knew it was imminent so he made his peace.

The Bruins reporter made it sound like while Ullmark was a team player, he was upset that the team ended the rotation and he didn't get to play in the playoffs, and he didn't want to come back as the back-up (and he was told that he'd probably play even less than last year).

So behind the scenes, maybe not as kumbaya as the goalie hugs would make you believe.

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024
I did not mean to say it is still a gongshow in Ottawa.

More that if we still suck, Brady will want out because he's had enough of being on a bad team.

It will be about how our leadership core handles it but I don't expect Brady to be able to carry this team on his own, not after so many years of a total gongshow. It unfortunately will take a long while to recover from the Dorion Disaster.

Even Alfie eventually had enough of carrying the team. Brady isn't so old that he's there but he did see his brother take his destiny into his own hands.

The difference is, Tkachuk hasn't actually carried the team yet. While it's been a gongshow around him, he's also yet to play "winning" hockey himself. Alfredsson spent his whole career sacrificing offense and highlights to win. Tkachuk hasn't to this point (and in fairness to him, until JM, he hasn't had a coach who's demanded it).

I think he can, and will, this year. And I don't think a turnaround needs to take long. We won't win the cup over night, but there's zero reason why we shouldn't be in the wild card mix next year. The roster, even with no more major moves, should be more than good enough to compete with Detroit, Washington, NYI, Pitt, etc.

If we aren't, that's on the players.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
No hard feelings, Brady just saw Matthew win a Cup by forcing a trade out of a gongshow. It isn't about "you guys aren't good enough for me", it is "enough of this gongshow" and I can't fault him for thinking that.

Next season is critical.

Obviously I don't know them personally, but I've always found Brady to be wired slightly differently than Matthew. He's a Tkachuk, but it doesn't mean they're the same people.

Yes, Brady saw Matthew win by going to another team, but he also just saw what Barkov did as a captain. He saw Barkov and Ekblad, two foundational leaders, take a losing franchise and, over the course of a decade, turn it into a champion. I could be wrong, but I think that what Barkov was able to accomplish in Florida would mean a lot to a guy like Brady.

I'd bet that, right now, Brady believes that what Barkov did in Florida is still possible in Ottawa. The Sens just have to get things moving in the right direction, so that belief doesn 't waver.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
The difference is, Tkachuk hasn't actually carried the team yet. While it's been a gongshow around him, he's also yet to play "winning" hockey himself.

I think he can, and will, this year. And I don't think a turnaround needs to take long. We won't win the cup over night, but there's zero reason why we shouldn't be in the wild card mix next year. The roster is now more than good enough to compete with Detroit, Washington, NYI, Pitt, etc.

If we aren't, that's on the players.
Tkachuk just had the 2nd best season pts wise he has had yet in his short career scoring 37 goals & 74 pts. He has led the team in scoring 4 of the last 5 yrs. He continues to break record after record & was voted onto the allstar game again. If he isn't carrying this team who is? It's the rest of the players that need to catch up to him, he's already way in front of all of them.

Stutzle needs to step up as Giroux still great at 35 yrs old, but certainly will be declining. Norris needs to stay healthy & the guy I think will have a great season next yr is Batherson, now fully healthy. I also expect Pinto to have a great full yr & Greig to improve. Now that they have a legitimate #1 goalie they need to improve the defence & start tweaking to get this group to the next level.

Reactions: Senovision

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024
Tkachuk just had the 2nd best season pts wise he has had yet in his short career scoring 37 goals & 74 pts. He has led the team in scoring 4 of the last 5 yrs. He continues to break record after record & was voted onto the allstar game again. If he isn't carrying this team who is? It's the rest of the players that need to catch up to him, he's already way in front of all of them.

He needs to use his size and strength to become a good defensive player.

His offense has been great, no doubt. But his defensive habits and attention to detail leave a lot to be desired. As the captain, he needs to set the example of how to play. Jacques Martin made no bones about it last year.

After watching his brothers run, I hope his main takeaway (beyond being thrilled for Matthew) is that defense, even as a forward, wins championships. I can't think of one Panther forward who cheats for offense.

I think he can do it. But it has to happen.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
The best thing about this trade is Staios demonstrating he can play hardball with other teams. Dorion was out there playing slow pitch throwing up softies for other teams to hit it out of the park.

It changes so much with negotiations especially since it’s Staois first trade.

Sharks and vultures won’t be circling the waters like they did with Dorion

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015

Stutzle needs to step up as Giroux still great at 35 yrs old, but certainly will be declining. Norris needs to stay healthy & the guy I think will have a great season next yr is Batherson, now fully healthy. I also expect Pinto to have a great full yr & Greig to improve. Now that they have a legitimate #1 goalie they need to improve the defence & start tweaking to get this group to the next level.

Brady was pacing for 60 points for most of the season until we were eliminated and it was garbage time. We all know about his defensive play. He needs to be better too.

They all need to be better.

• Haha
Reactions: Golden_Jet

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
DeMelo signs with the Jets

I know some people wanted him here so that’s a RHD off the board

Darn, RD's flying off the board if the Pesce to NJ rumours are true. Feels like we'll get priced out of Matt Roy if he's the top target left on the market.

Hopefully Staois can get Tanev inked as the drop-off after the first few guys is steep.

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024
Anyone have a summary of what Staios said on the radio this morning.

- Thrilled to have Ullmark here, goaltending was his biggest priority
- Started talking to Boston about a deal at the TDL, what it looked like changed a lot along the way, but glad it came together before the draft
- Talked with Ullmark last night, great person, family man, will fit in well, happy to be in Ottawa
- Discussions about an extension will be a part of the process moving forward. Excited to sit down with the Ullmark camp
- Will continue to explore every opportunity to improve the team, both via trade and UFA, but will keep an eye on the future
- It'd take a lot for them to move off the #7 pick, but he's open to calls from other teams
- Unlike other years, it's harder to predict how the top 6 will shake out, so they'll have to be nimble about opportunities

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
In a bubble, 3M is not a crazy number for a veteran backup goalie in today's NHL, even one coming off of a terrible season who has an up and down history. The problem isn't even the cap hit, it's the term. If it was Forsberg going the other way, the reaction would be mixed. Many people would say that Ottawa shouldn't have given up a 1st for what could be another rental.

What people can't wrap their head around is that they think dumping Korpisalo with 4 years of term should cost roughly a 1st, so they are trying to figure out why Ottawa got Ullmark for free.
I don't think people would care if Forsberg was going the other way

The negative reaction would be more of now we have two goalies adding to 9mill and Korpi would have to be traded

If Ottawa traded Forsberg tomorrow I def wouldn't care

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad