Player Discussion Linus Ullmark (G)

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
What's nice is that this ultimately makes up for trading the 2022 1st rounder.
It's now official, we definitely won that trade big time.
That doesn't make any sense. Ullmark has a solid, proven track record. Why would we need to see him play here first before signing him?

If anything his numbers indicate he gets better the more games he plays like he did when he played 50 games and won the Vezina, so I don't see what people are worried about at all.
He also had good numbers in Buffalo when they were the worst team in the league. I too am not worried. The only thing that could derail him is injury, but that's true of any player.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Daccord is younger, played 50 games (versus 40 for Ullmark) and put up 2.46gaa and .916sv% compared to Ullmark's 2.55gaa and .915sv%. We're paying for a longer track record but there's no way if you removed the names that you'd suggest the second stat line is worth $3.25M more per season.
You're always good for a laugh.

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
It wouldn't surprise me if this deal has been done for a little bit, but they wanted to wait to announce it until right before the home opener.

Swayman may have also played a part.

The point is, I think both sides probably talked and knew the general parameters of what was important to each side.

Anderson had at least one Vezina tier season, but I get what you're saying.

I think Anderson has gotten more appreciation over the last few years compared to when he was here, because the last 6 or so seasons have been a crash course in how difficult it can be to get a goalie here. Ullmark should hopefully be the solution to that.
According to SS/Ullmark press conference, SS said he had been keeping in contact with Ullmark's agent since the trade, but it heated up this week. He wanted to give Linus time to acquaint himself with the team, the facilities and the city. SS was asked if Swayman's signing was a factor, he replied it was a comparable so I don't think this deal had been in place for awhile. But what do I know? lol

Loach

Jun 9, 2021

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Daccord is younger, played 50 games (versus 40 for Ullmark) and put up 2.46gaa and .916sv% compared to Ullmark's 2.55gaa and .915sv%. We're paying for a longer track record but there's no way if you removed the names that you'd suggest the second stat line is worth $3.25M more per season.
Take a look at the entire body of work. 8.25 would have been awful for 6-8 years but 4 years is ideal.

I like Soogard but im not a believer in him long term. We should have gone after Bussi from Boston who was on waivers a few days ago.
He’s unproven. Wouldn’t want to trust him for 27 games.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
They added a family area for the players. I thought that was a given. What went on here before?
Andlauer talked a fair bit in an interview this summer about how lacking many of the facilities were and that they'd done heavy renos this summer to rectify it. He talked mostly about the training and medical facilities iirc, but he really made it sound like a bit of a dumpster fire previously.

Reactions: DrEasy

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Andlauer talked a fair bit in an interview this summer about how lacking many of the facilities were and that they'd done heavy renos this summer to rectify it. He talked mostly about the training and medical facilities iirc, but he really made it sound like a bit of a dumpster fire previously.
I listened to those. He wanted to start last year, but was told the renos would upend the season and to wait. It's still unfckn real how getto this team was run. Little bits keep coming out.

Reactions: DrEasy and senswon

Inf4mous0ne

Jan 28, 2010
I made some sens fan hype videos a while ago that blew up and I got invited to tour around a lot of the Sens facilities. Was pretty surprised how terrible some of them were (compared to what you would think). Glad to hear it is being addressed!

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I listened to those. He wanted to start last year, but was told the renos would upend the season and to wait. It's still unfckn real how getto this team was run. Little bits keep coming out.
I can't say I'm surprised. There was so much noise during Melnyk's last few years of absolutely everything just being chopped to the bone and it was amateur hour from the outside looking in.
I made some sens fan hype videos a while ago that blew up and I got invited to tour around a lot of the Sens facilities. Was pretty surprised how terrible some of them were (compared to what you would think). Glad to hear it is being addressed!
Interesting. I'm also glad it's being addressed. These are pro hockey players and it's ideal for them to have facilities that are up to the expectations of that level of hockey and other teams in the league. You're either in or you're out right.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
This is possibly as big as the day we drafted tkachuk
It's great. After Korps first game, there was a dude on the Boston board that said he was going to come here and troll us when Korps proved us wrong because we were laughing about it. Is it trolling to post the Linus signing interview on their postgame thread? Asking for friend.

Reactions: milkbag

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
It's great. After Korps first game, there was a dude on the Boston board that said he was going to come here and troll us when Korps proved us wrong because we were laughing about it. Is it trolling to post the Linus signing interview on their postgame thread? Asking for friend.
I was arguing with a friend at hockey about this on Sunday. He was peddling the same BS. I made sure to text him during the game last night.

Reactions: Loach

milkbag

Jul 31, 2018
Drop his @

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
The one big takeaway I had from his interview on tsn1200 today was how he nonchalantly discussed how he talked to "professionals" to help figure himself out.

Really shows how grounded he is, how comfortable in his own skin he is and how he owns his own shit, address it, and doesn't feel any shame over it.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, and I'm biased from my own issues with mental health . . . but that really speaks out to me about who this guy is. And from my totally ignorant to how a locker room opperates point of view . . . it sounds very much like what is needed in any group of young men to ground everyone.

Super stoked for this guy. Can't wait to see what he can do this year

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
It's a fair criticism that signing a goalie to this like of contract before playing a single regular season game is risky.
I don't see how the risk is any greater because the regular season hasn't started yet.

He is a great goalie, he is OUR great goalie. His track record speaks for itself and there is no need to see how he looks in the regular season. He is going to look great.

He is obviously feeling comfortable here, and that is great. This turns a page on a very dark chapter in Senators history.

I am thrilled.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
The one big takeaway I had from his interview on tsn1200 today was how he nonchalantly discussed how he talked to "professionals" to help figure himself out.

Really shows how grounded he is, how comfortable in his own skin he is and how he owns his own shit, address it, and doesn't feel any shame over it.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, and I'm biased from my own issues with mental health . . . but that really speaks out to me about who this guy is. And from my totally ignorant to how a locker room opperates point of view . . . it sounds very much like what is needed in any group of young men to ground everyone.

Super stoked for this guy. Can't wait to see what he can do this year
Seems he has life totally in the proper perspective. Family to him is most important and if they are happy so is he. In turn I believe he will play really well because of that.

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
Seems he has life totally in the proper perspective. Family to him is most important and if they are happy so is he. In turn I believe he will play really well because of that.
During his presser, I really liked his answer when someone asked him what the difference was between Buffalo and here? He said that there's a desire to become better, not being satisfied with the status quo and that he wanted to be a part of it (paraphrasing here).

sena

Jul 3, 2024
I don't see how the risk is any greater because the regular season hasn't started yet.

He is a great goalie, he is OUR great goalie. His track record speaks for itself and there is no need to see how he looks in the regular season. He is going to look great.

He is obviously feeling comfortable here, and that is great. This turns a page on a very dark chapter in Senators history.

I am thrilled.
It's a risk. Word was Buffalo was unhappy with him not wanting to play a lot. Lets pray he can play a lot of games, and wants to play. His limited playoff numbers are yuuukkkkk
I hope he has decided its time to be the man

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
It's a risk. Word was Buffalo was unhappy with him not wanting to play a lot. Lets pray he can play a lot of games, and wants to play. His limited playoff numbers are yuuukkkkk
I hope he has decided its time to be the man

The way the league is changing, I doubt you'll see many goalies play more than 50-55 regular season games a year. There was something I was reading a year or two ago - those composite sticks, more wide open and skilled play - all that means a lot more up and down movement for goalies compared to eras past. Way more wear and tear on the knees and hips. It also explains why it's so hard for goalies to be consistently good for multiple years at a time.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
During his presser, I really liked his answer when someone asked him what the difference was between Buffalo and here? He said that there's a desire to become better, not being satisfied with the status quo and that he wanted to be a part of it (paraphrasing here).
I think he actually said a desire (or willingness) to change. Everyone wants to be better... most people dont want to change

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad