Player Discussion Linus Ullmark (G)

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
It's great. After Korps first game, there was a dude on the Boston board that said he was going to come here and troll us when Korps proved us wrong because we were laughing about it. Is it trolling to post the Linus signing interview on their postgame thread? Asking for friend.
Probably. There was one child on there syzgyz or some such nonsense

Game 1 post game. Page 2. The don godfather. Have at it.
Oh, he's another useless poster. There are many

Edit: man, that's right, he said we wouldn't and couldn't sign ullmark. I remember it now.

Last edited:

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
They added a family area for the players. I thought that was a given. What went on here before?

Before, it was only for girlfriends. Not even for the wives. They also didn't allow brunettes in.

Probably. There was one child on there syzgyz or some such nonsense

Oh, he's another useless poster. There are many

Edit: man, that's right, he said we wouldn't and couldn't sign ullmark. I remember it now.

There are no useless posters. I don't mean to break kayfabe, but we all have a role to play here. Except for that guy who made a post about how he was going to be a Leafs fan from now on.

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
It's great. After Korps first game, there was a dude on the Boston board that said he was going to come here and troll us when Korps proved us wrong because we were laughing about it. Is it trolling to post the Linus signing interview on their postgame thread? Asking for friend.
Well ... he's likely a douchebag.

I on the other hand want to congratulate you guys in signing Ullmark solidifying your net for the next 4 years.
All the best!:thumbu:

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
It's a risk. Word was Buffalo was unhappy with him not wanting to play a lot. Lets pray he can play a lot of games, and wants to play. His limited playoff numbers are yuuukkkkk
I hope he has decided its time to be the man
What?

If this guy is a risk, then I guess we should only sign 1 year contracts from now on.

Best overall goalie stats in the past 2 years (someone else posted that, so may be off).

Recent Vezina winner.

Entire career with + save%

Clearly a leader and person that won't settle for mediocrity.

His preseason alone shows me there is no risk. His presence in net is a stark contrast to what we have seen for at least 5 years.

How anyone can put a negative spin on this is beyond me. Great goalies make great teams, it is that simple.

Reactions: LiseL and Icelevel

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Ok, let me make it clear for you because I am too stupid for you to understand.

Daccord has a 1yr track record. Ullmarks is more than 5 yrs, all playing at or above the level that Daccord reached . Goalies are notoriously inconsistent, and Ullmark has proven to be one of the more consistent goalies in the league. That is why - to answer your brilliant question - he is paid that much more.

Isnt it interesting that everyone is so stupid but you? Must be frustrating hand-holding us dummies all day.
I was responding to your idiotic "we don't judge goalies based on a single season" comment where you only picked the worst 1-yr goalie performances to make your point.

Second of all, I've already said I'm on board with the Ullmark signing.

Third of all, I think we can all have some reservations about a guy who has averaged about 34 games per season. Yes, his stats are great in those ~34 games per year. Now he's being paid to be great for 55ish games per year, which is a significant jump from his historical career average. I don't think we need to pretend that we're not entering slightly uncharted territory.

Take a look at the entire body of work. 8.25 would have been awful for 6-8 years but 4 years is ideal.

He’s unproven. Wouldn’t want to trust him for 27 games.
WE'RE PAYING FOR A LONGER TRACK RECORD...it's right there in the f***ing post. Just thought I'd point it out for you.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
It's a risk. Word was Buffalo was unhappy with him not wanting to play a lot. Lets pray he can play a lot of games, and wants to play. His limited playoff numbers are yuuukkkkk
It's a risk crossing the street as well. If you think Ullmark shouldn't be signed long term then you also think 95% of the players in the NHL should be on one year deals.

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
Early impressions of Ullmark are great. But, at 8.25, he's paid to be a work horse... not some ferrari you take out of the garage once a week for a spin. He better give us 50 starts this season or we're in trouble. Forsberg, these days, is not conveying a sense of dependability.

Reactions: bicboi64

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Early impressions of Ullmark are great. But, at 8.25, he's paid to be a work horse... not some ferrari you take out of the garage once a week for a spin. He better give us 50 starts this season or we're in trouble. Forsberg, these days, is not conveying a sense of dependability.
100% agreed. I know these days teams run a tandem, but we need Ullmark to beat his career high of 49 starts. Hopefully he can become a guy that plays 60+ games this year, been so long since any keeper has played 60 games for us

Reactions: armani and DrEasy

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
100% agreed. I know these days teams run a tandem, but we need Ullmark to beat his career high of 49 starts. Hopefully he can become a guy that plays 60+ games this year, been so long since any keeper has played 60 games for us
Yes, and this will allow us to run a much cheaper backup moving forward as well. (not that our expensive backup has worked out, of course)

Reactions: armani and bicboi64

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus

I would be happy with anything North of 55. Last year’s Stanley Cup winner played 84 games in net, that’s too much of a workload for any goalie. The sweet spot is 55ish, Forsberg needs to up his games for those 25 to 30 games he starts.

Reactions: bicboi64

Goat Boy

Jun 8, 2011
Ullmark has only topped 55 games once in his entire career at any level counting RS and POs. He does seem very much like a 50-plus-or-minus-5 games sort of guy. I doubt he hits 60 unless we make the playoffs and manage to do at least a little bit of damage.

Even if Forsberg can do better than his usual 50/50 (okay, 55/45, I'll be nice), Ullmark is going to need to win upwards of 70% of his games if we're going to make the playoffs. That means Boston numbers.

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
Just for reference, the goalies with the most starts last year were:
  1. Saros with 64
  2. Georgiev with 63
  3. Hellebuyck with 60.
Therefore, I’d say Ullmark would hopefully give us 60 games.

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
Well, he must've changed his mind. Based on what I read on Boston board, both he and Swayman wanted to be starters. Then on one of the interviews after the trade (sorry, can't remember which one), he mentioned he was looking forward to being a starter as the more you play, the more you get into a groove and don't have to think about your reactions, it just comes naturally. The only concern I have if he plays 60+ games is he may run out of gas come playoff time, assuming Sens get in.

Reactions: DrEasy

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
He'll be 7th in terms of goalie cap hits next year so he better play the 7th most games at the least. This year he can go easy and just hit a career high in starts (anything above 49)

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Ullmark said specifically that when seeking his next opportunity, he wanted a high workload as the main guy. Leaving Boston was in large part driven by it being a tandem.

I'm betting he'll break 60 if he stays healthy and the split will be 62/20.

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
What?

If this guy is a risk, then I guess we should only sign 1 year contracts from now on.

Best overall goalie stats in the past 2 years (someone else posted that, so may be off).

Recent Vezina winner.

Entire career with + save%

Clearly a leader and person that won't settle for mediocrity.

His preseason alone shows me there is no risk. His presence in net is a stark contrast to what we have seen for at least 5 years.

How anyone can put a negative spin on this is beyond me. Great goalies make great teams, it is that simple.
Linus has a lot of charisma, something you don't see often in goalies. Reminds me of Brodeur in that regard. Love that he's on our team.

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
Personally, I expect him to play around 55 games. He played 50 games 2 years ago (his vezina year) so I don't think playing an extra 5 games is going to affect his performance overall. One of the things he wanted was to be a starter, not a tandem. He said during one of his earlier interviews after the trade that the more he plays, the more he gets into a groove where reactions come automatically, no thinking involved. I think he'll be just fine, barring injury.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad