Line Combos: Lines you expect to see vs what you want to see

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Well, my advice hinges on how high your window is.

Lol! I’m on 43 actually (Chicago), so I’d have plenty of time to reminisce the Lidstrom Rafalski Kronwall Stuart core on the way down. Although hopefully not quite enough time for the Lilja Lebda memory montage - plenty of time for that in hell :laugh:

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Let's try Raymond on the left side.

Raymond - Larkin - Tarasenko
DeBrincat - Compher - Kane
Ras - Veleno - Berggren
Motte - Copp - Fischer
Team looks too soft, Larkin only in top six who plays physical game

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Team looks too soft, Larkin only in top six who plays physical game

Compher is ok too. Tarasenko is a TANK.

If you need more grit, you have to promote Copp and Ras.

But I don't mind the offence that much. It's defence which should be more physical. Seider becoming a mad man again etc.

Reactions: lilidk

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Compher is ok too. Tarasenko is a TANK.

If you need more grit, you have to promote Copp and Ras.

But I don't mind the offence that much. It's defence which should be more physical. Seider becoming a mad man again etc.

Copp is 10 ply, he quit checking players when he had the core muscle issue. Ray had twice as many hits last season.

The only forwards that are physical are Fish, Raz and Joey since Perron and Kostin are gone.

Reactions: lilidk

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Kasper Larkin Raymond
Berggren Compher Tarasenko
Rasmussen Danielson Kane
Motte Veleno Fischer
Edvinsson Seider
Chiarot Petry
Maatta Holl
Trade Johnson +Mazur + Copp for 7 round pick
Debrincat for first

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: WingsToPick4th

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Copp is 10 ply, he quit checking players when he had the core muscle issue. Ray had twice as many hits last season.

The only forwards that are physical are Fish, Raz and Joey since Perron and Kostin are gone.
And Larkin

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
What comes to defence, this is based pure on advanced stats:

1. Seider worked really well with Gostisbehere. Their offensive game together was dynamite.
2. Seider didn't work really well with either Walman or Chiarot. It was less bad with Chiarot.
3. Chiarot did not work with Petry. Both were better without each other.
4. Chiarot did work pretty good with Holl early on.
5. Edvinsson did work great with Petry. Both were better together than withtout each other.

So, if Seider works best with an offensive partner, maybe they could slot Gustafsson there? Or Johansson, but I'm sceptical they would put a kid on that pair.

Edvinsson should be a sure bet with Petry.

And Chiarot-Holl should be tried again, because it was the only pair when Holl was good.

Gustafsson - Seider
Edvinsson - Petry
Chiarot - Holl

(Määttä - Johansson)

This would leave Määttä and Johansson without a job.

Määttä worked best with Gostisbehere, like helping him. So there could be a fit with Gustafsson/Johansson too.

I still wonder why they haven't even tried Määttä with Seider. For small sample size, they have crazy good stats together.

If Seider could be double-shifted and they could go with 7D like this:

Määttä - Seider
Edvinsson - Petry
Gustafsson - Seider
Chiarot - Holl

That would be the best you can get. (based on pure advanced stats)

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
What comes to defence, this is based pure on advanced stats:

1. Seider worked really well with Gostisbehere. Their offensive game together was dynamite.
2. Seider didn't work really well with either Walman or Chiarot. It was less bad with Chiarot.
3. Chiarot did not work with Petry. Both were better without each other.
4. Chiarot did work pretty good with Holl early on.
5. Edvinsson did work great with Petry. Both were better together than withtout each other.

So, if Seider works best with an offensive partner, maybe they could slot Gustafsson there? Or Johansson, but I'm sceptical they would put a kid on that pair.

Edvinsson should be a sure bet with Petry.

And Chiarot-Holl should be tried again, because it was the only pair when Holl was good.

Gustafsson - Seider
Edvinsson - Petry
Chiarot - Holl

(Määttä - Johansson)

This would leave Määttä and Johansson without a job.

Määttä worked best with Gostisbehere, like helping him. So there could be a fit with Gustafsson/Johansson too.

I still wonder why they haven't even tried Määttä with Seider. For small sample size, they have crazy good stats together.

If Seider could be double-shifted and they could go with 7D like this:

Määttä - Seider
Edvinsson - Petry
Gustafsson - Seider
Chiarot - Holl

That would be the best you can get. (based on pure advanced stats)
Based on his on-ice time and the old eye test, I suspect Maatta has not fully recovered from his lung infection, otherwise, they would be using him more, and I agree, he could be a great fit with Mo and certainly worth trying if he could actually still play 20 minutes a night.

I am not a big fan of 11:7 as a fixed lineup, although for a game or two here and there, it is a viable option if Maatta cannot go 20 minutes a night anymore. I would not rule out Al-Jo as Mo's partner as the the season goes on, if he is as ready as advertised. (I have not watched him play to much yet) Should be an interesting camp next month.

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Raymond-Larkin-Tank
Cat-Compher-Kane
Berggren-Copp-Ras
Motte-Veleno-Fischer
Danielson

I'm trying some different things on defense.

Maatta-Seider
Ed-Petry
Chiarot-Gus
Holl/Johansson

We really need a top pair LD and an RD upgrade over Petry and Holl. If Steve can pull of some magic by trading Holl and Maataa
??? - Seider
Ed - Petry/???
Chiarot - ???/Petry
Johansson

Like someone mentioned earlier, every defense combo possible makes people want to jump out of the office window.

Talbot
Husso
Lyon
Campbell/Cossa/Gage/any of the 19 goalies we have on the roster

Honestly, this season is just kind of a stop gap/placeholder/warm up year. It seems like the general consensus here is that at least one of Danielson, Kasper, and Mazur at F and one of ASP or Johansson on defense will be ready next year.
Petry and Maatta will be gone after this season if not by the deadline.

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Also, one thing really in that 7D usage, is how it will produce better advanced stats material, thanks to that all the time changing D-pair.

Too,often defensive pair stats are copied from partner to partner, if they are locked too long together, so you can't make a good analyze.

But with changing pairs, you suffle the things and get some data how guy like Seider would work with all the possible Left-side guys. Zone usage has too much weight on these current public stats etc.

Equally changing pairs will give you better material for analyze. Maybe they will use it inside team that way. But public data goes misleading way.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Based on his on-ice time and the old eye test, I suspect Maatta has not fully recovered from his lung infection, otherwise, they would be using him more, and I agree, he could be a great fit with Mo and certainly worth trying if he could actually still play 20 minutes a night.

I am not a big fan of 11:7 as a fixed lineup, although for a game or two here and there, it is a viable option if Maatta cannot go 20 minutes a night anymore. I would not rule out Al-Jo as Mo's partner as the the season goes on, if he is as ready as advertised. (I have not watched him play to much yet) Should be an interesting camp next month.

Barring major injuries, that's the only way you'll see AlJo play the first half of the season.

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
Barring major injuries, that's the only way you'll see AlJo play the first half of the season.
I have no doubt you are correct there, but if they go with 12 forwards on the roster to start the season, I suspect we'll see 11:7 more than often than not when short term "nicked up" injuries happen, if so, I suspect we'll likely see Mo as Al-Jo's partner as I would expect Mo to get double shifted.

If they get enough time together, I could see the analytics crew might get him more ice time at 12:6 as the season wears on as Mo's partner, assuming he is as ready as the brass claims. I haven't seen him play enough yet to make a call.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Rasmussen - Larkin - Kane
DeBrincat - Compher - Tarasenko
Berggren - Veleno - Fischer
Motte - Copp - Watson
(Snively)

If Raymond will want to sit out, that solves our Top6 RW problem. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad