OT: Let's talk about Movies and TV Shows, Part XXXI (now rated PG)

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
Witcher season three ... Enjoyable but a lot of wasted potential. It also feels like there wasn't a whole lot of plot. I didn't understand the ending either.
Constantly you see projects being taken on of priorities that already have a story that is well beloved... And they constantly think they can do better and go off script... When was the last time that was actually a good thing? And why do they think they are better than the original authors who took years, if not decades to create the story? I mean, I can see why they would think so if the property was horribly viewed (in which case who do the project?) but otherwise... Just boggles the mind...

rik schau

Peeping has perks. lol
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
  • Haha
Reactions: angusyoung

angusyoung

raise yor hand if u luv the beach as much as i do
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Got the collection not that long ago,funny stuff. :thumbu::thumbu:

71zFufz+zzL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
I love Nolan , I think the overrating of him stems from the fact a lot of people aren't impressed by most filmmakers nowadays, at least with Nolan you are pretty much guaranteed to have a decent flick. Other filmakers just don't have the consistency he has , that's just my opinion , The prestige and the Dark Knight are my favorite by him. Looking forward to seeing oppenheimer.

Just not a fan of most modern movies coming out these days and Nolan seems to do them the best

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
As loud as Oppenheimer’s sound track was the movie failed to keep my wife and I awake for the whole 3 hrs. Purposely avoided reading any reviews or watching trailers so I could go in unbiased and was really looking forward to it but huge let down. The couple in front of us left an hour in, should’ve followed them out as it didn’t get any better.
Yeah this is why I don't wanna go with my girl , Its an instant fall asleep movie for her and I'm sitting there 3 hours like an idiot all alone in a movie theatre.

Might be better off to go with my friends group of distinguished gentlemen

4444.jpeg

So this is gonna be me and the boys pulling up to see it this weekend

angusyoung

raise yor hand if u luv the beach as much as i do
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Yeah this is why I don't wanna go with my girl , Its an instant fall asleep movie for her and I'm sitting there 3 hours like an idiot all alone in a movie theatre.

Might be better off to go with my friends group of distinguished gentlemen

View attachment 732780

So this is gonna be me and the boys pulling up to see it this weekend
Cool! a fellow motor bike enthusiast:thumbu::thumbu:

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
Rogue One

Yes, it‘s Star Wars but this has all the elements one would expect from a mission driven war film; rag tag band of misfits, impossible odds, unexpected heroes and a relatively grounded battle in the final act considering there are robots, space ships and aliens.
Rogue One is the best modern SW film bc it's almost not a SW film. it has the least amount of SW baggage and in-jokes and that's why it didn't suck

Reactions: sandviper and Deebs

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018
I love Nolan , I think the overrating of him stems from the fact a lot of people aren't impressed by most filmmakers nowadays, at least with Nolan you are pretty much guaranteed to have a decent flick. Other filmakers just don't have the consistency he has , that's just my opinion , The prestige and the Dark Knight are my favorite by him. Looking forward to seeing oppenheimer.

Just not a fan of most modern movies coming out these days and Nolan seems to do them the best
Denis Villeneuve is right up there

peate

Smiley
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
It is normal to feel sad about childhood idols dying.

I don't really care about celebrities but I'll probably be pretty bummed when Paul McCartney dies.
Usually, I'd agree, but Jeff Beck's untimely death was a deep hurt, for me anyway. Maybe cause he was big influence on my music since the Truth album came out.

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
That’s it guys, I can’t take it anymore. I am officially picketing Blue Beetle at my local theatre

NO MORE COMIC BOOK MOVIES ! ! ! :eek:

Reactions: Ezpz

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
That’s it guys, I can’t take it anymore. I am officially picketing Blue Beetle at my local theatre

NO MORE COMIC BOOK MOVIES ! ! ! :eek:
I can't remember the last one I watched that was genuinely good. Even the older ones don't hold up now when you ignore the inter-movie context. They were basically only good because they were building up to a final battle and there were tons of easter eggs between them. It's basically like watching old wrestling or hockey, it just doesn't matter once you know the outcome. The speculation was 90% of the hype; "Who's gonna die" at the end of End Game and the like.

This is why planet of the apes is great for me. I know what's going to happen and I've seen it dozens of times, but that final reveal is just perfect cinema and I can rewatch the movie once every 5-10 years and find new ways to look at it from a social commentary perspective. Sidenote: ignore every other "Apes" movie that came out after the original. Most of the superhero movies have no rewatch value.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I can't remember the last one I watched that was genuinely good. Even the older ones don't hold up now when you ignore the inter-movie context. They were basically only good because they were building up to a final battle and there were tons of easter eggs between them. It's basically like watching old wrestling or hockey, it just doesn't matter once you know the outcome. The speculation was 90% of the hype; "Who's gonna die" at the end of End Game and the like.

This is why planet of the apes is great for me. I know what's going to happen and I've seen it dozens of times, but that final reveal is just perfect cinema and I can rewatch the movie once every 5-10 years and find new ways to look at it from a social commentary perspective. Sidenote: ignore every other "Apes" movie that came out after the original. Most of the superhero movies have no rewatch value.

In regards to superhero movies, the issue with both DC and lately with Marvel Studios (Sony’s Marvel also) is these writers either are not real fans of the characters and/or they think they can do a better job than the original stories they are borrowing from the comics.

Not every movie was good, but the MCU through Endgame was very well done. Now, the movies themselves are a narrative mess, poor writing and there’s kind of no stakes, hence no point.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
In regards to superhero movies, the issue with both DC and lately with Marvel Studios (Sony’s Marvel also) is these writers either are not real fans of the characters and/or they think they can do a better job than the original stories they are borrowing from the comics.

Not every movie was good, but the MCU through Endgame was very well done. Now, the movies themselves are a narrative mess, poor writing and there’s kind of no stakes, hence no point.
To be fair, a lot of comics are poorly written. Marvel's become too much about their cliche clips now though. There has so be a random funny moment in each scene, there's gotta be some one liners, there's gotta be some not-funny sexual innuendos. Nothing can be too serious for too long. The bad guys are literally Pejorative Slured and get outsmarted by the dumbest character.

I really enjoyed the Batman because it was so much different than what we've been getting. It was a movie with a superhero in it rather than a superhero movie.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
To be fair, a lot of comics are poorly written. Marvel's become too much about their cliche clips now though. There has so be a random funny moment in each scene, there's gotta be some one liners, there's gotta be some not-funny sexual innuendos. Nothing can be too serious for too long. The bad guys are literally Pejorative Slured and get outsmarted by the dumbest character.

I really enjoyed the Batman because it was so much different than what we've been getting. It was a movie with a superhero in it rather than a superhero movie.

I was also a big Batman fan. A non-powered hero I also liked was the Punisher.

I should probably mention I have not read a comic in years. I read mostly in the early to mid 80’s but have also read a few major arcs since. I think the last major storyline I’ve read was the Annihilation arc in the mid-2000s and the Infinity storyline several years later.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

Across the Spiderverse was triple A. Might win the Oscar again.

As a Spidey fan and someone who always loathed Marvel's attempt at replacing Peter Parker just for demographics's sake, with the likes of Miles Morales, I absolutely loved the two animated movies.

The rest is shit, I agree.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Across the Spiderverse was triple A. Might win the Oscar again.

As a Spidey fan and someone who always loathed Marvel's attempt at replacing Peter Parker just for demographics's sake, with the likes of Miles Morales, I absolutely loved the two animated movies.

The rest is shit, I agree.

ANYONE who gives the Spider-verse movies an earnest watch will love it. Action, creativity, writing and acting are A+. However, these two movies also have something really missing from not just superhero movies, but a lot of big budget movies across all genres that are also missing; heart and filmmaker passion.

I love spectacle as much as any action junkie but if I don’t care about characters, i usually won‘t enjoy the movie.

Spider-verse isn’t just a great superhero movie, nor is it just a great animated movie… It’s just a great movie(s).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad