OT: Let's talk about Movies and TV Shows, Part XXXI (now rated PG)

angusyoung

raise yor hand if u luv the beach as much as i do
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
You should really watch V, it's awesome. TV show from the 80s. It's sci-fi, there are beautiful women in it. But I won't tell you what that is. 😁 Cause the point is that there's a huge shock/surprise in the first episode and it's great. When that happened back in the day everybody was talking about it.
This the one? I checked out the trailer,will present it to my fellow co-viewers as we are democratic and take it from there.

Reactions: Kimota

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Tora Tora Tora is an amazing film. Agree it’s top-5.

I loved The Dirty Dozen, but maybe top-10 for me.

War movies in general though became an interest for me only around the late-80’s so it’s the more modern/mainstream movies that make my list.

Saving Private Ryan, Blackhawk Down, Glory, Apocalypse Now and Tora Tora Tora make up my top-5.

I haven’t thought of a ranking but other great films for me were Platoon, Full Metal Jacket, Schindler’s List, The Hurt Locker and Hacksaw Ridge (excellent film).

Surprisingly (for me), I have yet to watch Greyhound, Dunkirk and 1917.

The Pacific and Band of Brothers are also must watches for TV.
Never saw this?

91aIAXL3wZL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Ties in with the original.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
View attachment 730748

Every generation, but in our case, we're correct.

I was once in a class of late teen students who, when asked when the second world war occured, were unable to answer. The only one who did in small group conversations placed it in the 1920s.

They had also never heard of the Vietnam war.

Unfortunately social media is actively making kids stupid. They are locked into pop culture echo chambers and circular social media algorithms. Plenty of brainless adults are also guilty of this with their charlatan based conspiracy theories propagated by racists and general ignorance on one side and fascist cancel culture on the other side.

The Frank Zappa song, Dumb All Over is as relevant as ever although more metaphorical through a contemporary lens.

Last edited:
Reactions: Runner77

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
This the one? I checked out the trailer,will present it to my fellow co-viewers as we are democratic and take it from there.

I watched V with my son. He loved it.

The miniseries was much-see back in the day. Go to school the next day and it's all anyone was talking about. Lots of overtones of the Visitors taking over with fascist tactics and how the US must fight back. Classic 80s action TV.

Harry Kakalovich

Like and reply
Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
All right, let’s go on a different direction sort of. Best war movies ever. My opinion: 1 Patton 2 Midway- Charlton Heston version 3 The Dirty Dozen 4 The Blue Max- Ursula Andress in her prime!!! 5 Tora Tora Tora.
I've seen Tora Tora Tora. I liked that one.
Black Hawk Down was really good.
The Wind That Shakes The Barley was amazing
The Big Red One (the Reconstruction) was very good as well
Saving Private Ryan definitely is worth watching
Foreign Correspondent (the Hitchcock one) I liked
Is The Manchurian Candidate a war movie? It's a good one.
I kind of like We Were Soldiers with Mel Gibson for some reason.

Reactions: Chili and Redux91

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Having been in and around hockey culture my whole life I sadly have to concur. Hockey players generally know little to nothing of other cultures and have the worst taste in music and movies and are entirely politically inept. They typically are entirely devoid of any knowledge outside of current pop culture and sports and even in those areas their knowledge is usually only superficial with little to no understanding of cause and effect.

This always made things internally awkward for me having to at least partially assimilate to their rudimentary vision of the world around them without selling my soul and fully endorsing it. I don't consider myself to be exceptionally intelligent by any means but when around teammates I was always the smartest person in the room and to be quite honest I should absolutely never be the smartest person in any reasonably populated room.

Some of my closest friends also came from that culture but they were the ones that I introduced to a different way of seeing the world and we still have our differences but their hearts are at least in the right place.

I was in the same situation as you. Good on you to have shown them other things. My nephew has been living and eating and breathing hockey since he was young and he is now 18 is also one of those rare exceptions as well. But he tends to go for the usual commercial stuff cause that's what his hockey friends do. But I try to push on him more challenging stuff all the time.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I've seen Tora Tora Tora. I liked that one.
Black Hawk Down was really good.
The Wind That Shakes The Barley was amazing
The Big Red One (the Reconstruction) was very good as well
Saving Private Ryan definitely is worth watching
Foreign Correspondent (the Hitchcock one) I liked
Is The Manchurian Candidate a war movie? It's a good one.
I kind of like We Were Soldiers with Mel Gibson for some reason.
I think people too often overlook the war movies covering different aspect of the war like effect on civilian and such. There's some very good movies in that department.

Lore (2012) is one of them. It is following kids of Nazi who are left alone after their parents fleed the allies. Obviously brainwashed kids but still kids who really are not at fault for what is happening. It's a very good movie and a different face of the war.

Another one if Fanny's Journey. It follows a bunch of kids trying to escape occupied France on their own and go to Switzerland. A little bit more lighthearted than Lore but still good. A bag of marbles is another one covering a similar subject.

I liked Fury a lot personally. Yes it's a more conventional story but i think the allies are presented in a more realistic way. They are not the perfect white saviors as we see in too many movies. They are flawed. They commit crimes too which was sort of understandable given the circumstances. They are hero but at the same time always on the verge of not being heroic.

In Darnkess (2011) is very good too. It's about a polish man hiding Jewish people in the sewers while other polish people actually help the nazis.

There are others but can't remember the names. None of those alternative movies would make my top list but Saving Private Ryan would not either. Great movie but as a war movie i think it's overrated personally. I've not watched it in a long time but from what i remember watching it back in the days the whole we must save this guy while everyone else around is dying and this is realllyyyyy important bugged me a lot the whole movie. I was like what's the ***** point of all this? Why should I care?

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I was in the same situation as you. Good on you to have shown them other things. My nephew has been living and eating and breathing hockey since he was young and he is now 18 is also one of those rare exceptions as well. But he tends to go for the usual commercial stuff cause that's what his hockey friends do. But I try to push on him more challenging stuff all the time.

I hear stories of players not clicking with Dougie Hamilton as he is more of an intellectual and is known to actually read on flights lol. Apparently Shanahan is another example although he may have assimilated better than Hamilton has been able to.

Reactions: Kimota

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I hear stories of players not clicking with Dougie Hamilton as he is more of an intellectual and is known to actually read on flights lol. Apparently Shanahan is another example although he may have assimilated better than Hamilton has been able to.

We would never think of that from Shanahan from his playing days. He was such a volatile guy(bear in mind Napoleon was a volatile guy and he was pretty smart lol).

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Musicians are often stereotyped as drunken party animals, like the band that Rush used to open for, Kiss.

One night after Kiss had finished their set, they went back to their hotel rooms to freshen up. After which they headed to Rush’s hotel room with the idea of having them join Kiss for a party. When Gene Simmons knocked on their door, he got the shock of his life when he found that the 3 Rush members had gone to bed early and all of them were reading a book.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Never saw this?

View attachment 731315

Ties in with the original.

Never saw the full film but thanks for reminding me. I recall watching parts of The Deer Hunter but I was really young and just never got around to watching it so I’ll need to add to my list.

I also haven’t seen American Sniper, but I hear good things about it.

I think people too often overlook the war movies covering different aspect of the war like effect on civilian and such. There's some very good movies in that department.

Lore (2012) is one of them. It is following kids of Nazi who are left alone after their parents fleed the allies. Obviously brainwashed kids but still kids who really are not at fault for what is happening. It's a very good movie and a different face of the war.

Another one if Fanny's Journey. It follows a bunch of kids trying to escape occupied France on their own and go to Switzerland. A little bit more lighthearted than Lore but still good. A bag of marbles is another one covering a similar subject.

I liked Fury a lot personally. Yes it's a more conventional story but i think the allies are presented in a more realistic way. They are not the perfect white saviors as we see in too many movies. They are flawed. They commit crimes too which was sort of understandable given the circumstances. They are hero but at the same time always on the verge of not being heroic.

In Darnkess (2011) is very good too. It's about a polish man hiding Jewish people in the sewers while other polish people actually help the nazis.

There are others but can't remember the names. None of those alternative movies would make my top list but Saving Private Ryan would not either. Great movie but as a war movie i think it's overrated personally. I've not watched it in a long time but from what i remember watching it back in the days the whole we must save this guy while everyone else around is dying and this is realllyyyyy important bugged me a lot the whole movie. I was like what's the ***** point of all this? Why should I care?

Fury is another I would like to see.

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
Some top notch older war films didn't see mentioned...

The Big Parade-Silent, excellent WWI film
All Quiet on The Western Front-The original, Classic (haven't seen the remake)
Hell's Angels-Probably unmatched for the aerial combat scenes
Objective Burma- Was praised for it's realism
The Steel Helmet-The studio wanted Samuel Fuller to cast John Wayne; instead he cast WWII veteran Gene Evans which was a wise decision.
The One That Got Away-Incredible true story of the German POW who escaped in Canada
The Bridge (Die Brucke)-One of the best anti-war films I've seen
The Longest Day-DDay with mega stars; Impressive re-creation
Hell is For Heroes-Steve McQueen is very good
Hell in the Pacific-Lee Marvin vs Toshiro Mifune (real veterans of WWII) alone on an island

Among the newer ones, I did like 1917. There was a British film of Dunkirk made in 1958 which I would give an edge to over the recent film.

Add: Valkyrie is a good film. There was a German film called Thirteen Minutes 2015 on Georg Elser, also well done.

Last edited:

Harry Kakalovich

Like and reply
Sep 26, 2002
Montreal

Tora Tora Tora is an amazing film. Agree it’s top-5.

I loved The Dirty Dozen, but maybe top-10 for me.

War movies in general though became an interest for me only around the late-80’s so it’s the more modern/mainstream movies that make my list.

Saving Private Ryan, Blackhawk Down, Glory, Apocalypse Now and Tora Tora Tora make up my top-5.

I haven’t thought of a ranking but other great films for me were Platoon, Full Metal Jacket, Schindler’s List, The Hurt Locker and Hacksaw Ridge (excellent film).

Surprisingly (for me), I have yet to watch Greyhound, Dunkirk and 1917.

The Pacific and Band of Brothers are also must watches for TV.
Tigerland is another good one

I know what you mean about Saving Private Ryan - the first scene is pretty stunning but the movie drags a bit. I still have the DVD for the collection - I think it merits consideration. I've certainly seen worse war movies.

Paths of Glory is another good one.

I can't make a list - I haven't seen enough war movies yet.

Edit to add Zero Dark Thirty - that's a good one too.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I have yet to watch Dunkirk and 1917.
Boy are you in for a treat.. I'm jealous you get to see them for the first time lol

1917 is special too, WWII is always the "cooler" war lol but a WWI movie that blows you away? Now that's rare.
(Coincidentally, last year's remake of All Quiet on the Western Front was f***ing incredible too)

I don't get the Dunkirk hate tho, if you "get" the 3 scenario lengths and the allure of never quite "seeing the enemy", it's a hell of a ride (especially for Finn lol), plus it's Nolan ffs lol

RabbleMasterBlaster

J't'un gars d'chez nous
Jun 29, 2020
Singapore
I'm gonna do it. I'm gonna get Perma hate on this board for this comment, but someone's gotta do it.

Nolan is the most overrated director/writer in this decade.

He's the intellectual man's Michael Bay.

Dude probably loves the smell of his own farts.

Aside from that, I do find it very interesting in a way that we love war movies so much. It almost feels conflicting. Never mind that a lot of them are financed by the military (can't make them look bad, here's some funding) and generally glorify war, but we should actively be against this idea (outside of historically accurate documentaries).

Maybe war is just in our DNA and we'll always be doomed to repeat the same stories.

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022

The Steel Helmet-The studio wanted Samuel Fuller to cast John Wayne; instead he cast WWII veteran Gene Evans which was a wise decision.
The One That Got Away-Incredible true story of the German POW who escaped in Canada
Hell in the Pacific-Lee Marvin vs Toshiro Mifune (real veterans of WWII) alone on an island

Among the newer ones, I did like 1917. There was a British film of Dunkirk made in 1958 which I would give an edge to over the recent film.

Add: Valkyrie is a good film. There was a German film called Thirteen Minutes 2015 on Georg Elser, also well done.
Nice list, and you can never go wrong with any movie that has Lee Marvin in it!!!!! Including Paint Your Wagon lol!

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
Several of the films I mentioned above are anti-war films.

Douglas MacArthur famous General and veteran of WWI, WWII and the Korean war said this in his retirement speech:

I know war as few other men now living know it, and nothing to me is more revolting. I have long advocated its complete abolition, as its very destructiveness on both friend and foe has rendered it useless as a means of settling international disputes.

And he went on to explain why it happens.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Never saw the full film but thanks for reminding me. I recall watching parts of The Deer Hunter but I was really young and just never got around to watching it so I’ll need to add to my list.

I also haven’t seen American Sniper, but I hear good things about it.

Fury is another I would like to see.
The Deer hunter is definitely not for young children,very very dramatic at times. Not a war movie where it's non stop brutality.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Several of the films I mentioned above are anti-war films.

Douglas MacArthur famous General and veteran of WWI, WWII and the Korean war said this in his retirement speech:

And he went on to explain why it happens.

So you saying Big Mac wasn't going around hi-fiving Oppenheimer?:phew:

Valkyrie is definitely worth a watch.
The Great escape is also,not a war movie in the traditional sense as is The Pianist.

Willing to wager that no one has seen this one,actual events but a lot of reading as a lot of subtitles.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Yeah I also forgot about The Deer Hunter, great flick…. MAO!!!!!!!
Vietnamese- one of the great romance languages!:sarcasm:

John Cazale,was dying during the filming of the Deer hunter,played Fredo in the Godfather.

Das Boot never get the respect it deserve every time that war movie question is asked.
Great movie! sure it does. Often people don't ponder and mention the first thing that comes to mind,and it's been a while.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I watched V with my son. He loved it.

The miniseries was much-see back in the day. Go to school the next day and it's all anyone was talking about. Lots of overtones of the Visitors taking over with fascist tactics and how the US must fight back. Classic 80s action TV.
Anyone have anything negative before I make the move? Guessing your son is much younger than any of my entourage that would see it,nobody under 50 and not one North American in the crowd. It still holds up?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad