OT: Let's talk about Movies and TV Shows, Part XXXI (now rated PG)

RabbleMasterBlaster

J't'un gars d'chez nous
Jun 29, 2020
Singapore
Zegras says he has never heard of Oppenheimer

This has nothing to do with Zegras but I just wanted to comment that hockey players in general are dumb lol. I swear all they watch are stupid comedies.
Why would he though? WW2 was 70 years ago. They don't really teach it in history in the USA and probably not in Canada either. Dude is in his early 20's. There are lots of kids today that have no idea who Arnold Schwarzenegger is or what he's done. He's just some guy on Facebook.

You're clearly a boomer, like most of us lol

Last edited:
Reactions: DAChampion

ReimanSum1908

Feb 23, 2012
Montreal
Why would he though? WW2 was 70 years ago. They don't really teach it in history in the USA and probably not in Canada either. Dude is in his early 20's. There are lots of kids today that have no idea who Arnold Schwarzenegger is or what he's done. He's just some guy on Facebook.

CZQUMWTWIAISWTN.jpg

Every generation, but in our case, we're correct.

I was once in a class of late teen students who, when asked when the second world war occured, were unable to answer. The only one who did in small group conversations placed it in the 1920s.

They had also never heard of the Vietnam war.

RabbleMasterBlaster

J't'un gars d'chez nous
Jun 29, 2020
Singapore
View attachment 730748

I was once in a class of late teen students who, when asked when the second world war occured, were unable to answer. The only one who did in small group conversations placed it in the 1920s.

Well they were closer to WW1 but probably didn't know much about that one. Vietnam war is a little surprising but there's likely a lot of revisionist history around that if you're an American.

With the proliferation of social media and the distortion of facts (looking at you Ben Shapiro), it's no surprise that teenagers today don't know anything before 2001.

When NPC play on Tik Tok (the symptom of our societal problems and not the cause) can make you thousands of dollars... we're the ones out of touch.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
First season of TWD was excellent. That series through the years had its ups and downs but overall I found it a chore to watch.

FTWD was ok to start, but also has become a chore to watch.

That World Beyond series was a waste of time.

I didn’t like Tales.

Haven’t watched Dead City yet, but I do like the Negan character.

The Darryl Dixon series looks like the Walking Dead version of The Last of Us.

Anyhow, on another note, I watched Transformers Rise of the Beasts and enjoyed it. It’s loud and sometimes nonsensical, but it was entertaining and had a surprising amount of heart to it. Considering I thought EVERY Transformer movie was shit other than #1 and Bumblebee, I’d put this at #2.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Enjoying The Lincoln Lawyer. Season 1 was nice, free flowing drama. Lead actor is smooth, no nonsense type who ably weaves through thorny situations.

Started Season 2, looks like more of the same. Netflix has released 5 episodes from S2, the rest are coming Aug. 2nd.

Last edited:

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham

Because he's in his 20s, he has a carte blanche to be stupid? At 18 I was working for political parties and was engaged outthere, esp. in the 95 referendum. And most of the stuff I know I learned by myself, not in the school system.

But I have no blame for these guys. Like I said it's more about the mindset of a hockey player. That's what it is. All you do is play and train for many years.

Canad13ns

Nov 6, 2018
Because he's in his 20s, he has a carte blanche to be stupid? At 18 I was working for political parties and was engaged outthere, esp. in the 95 referendum. And most of the stuff I know I learned by myself, not in the school system.

But I have no blame for these guys. Like I said it's more about the mindset of a hockey player. That's what it is. All you do is play and train for many years.
It is a reach to decide he's stupid based on this clip. Not knowing about Oppenheimer doesn't make him stupid and it barely makes him uneducated since this is arcane knowledge for a 22 year old. Stupid generally means having difficulty learning things or that making decisions that hurt you. From afar, he seems to be doing fine learning what he needs to learn and making decisions that are helping him achieve his goals.

ClasslessGuy

May 10, 2010
Chelsea, QC
Enjoying The Lincoln Lawyer. Season 1 was nice, free flowing drama. Lead actor is smooth, no nonsense type who ably weaves through thorny situations.

Started Season 2, looks like more of the same. Netflix has released 5 episodes from S2, the rest are coming Aug. 2nd.
Pretty food first 5 ep, can't wait for the last 5

Seeing Barbie tonight.... yes I know, wife wants to go but I secretly want to as well

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
View attachment 730748

It's not their fault though. Kids know what they are taught at school. Gen X is shaping out to be one of the most disappointing generation ever, We went from a bunch of teens smoking pot while skating and listening to Pennywise and Offspring and signing **** Authority to a bunch of lunatics believing the earth is flat and that trump is an honest man and that vaccine never cured anything. No wonder our kids are lost and know jack ****.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
It's not their fault though. Kids know what they are taught at school. Gen X is shaping out to be one of the most disappointing generation ever, We went from a bunch of teens smoking pot while skating and listening to Pennywise and Offspring and signing **** Authority to a bunch of lunatics believing the earth is flat and that trump is an honest man and that vaccine never cured anything. No wonder our kids are lost and know jack ****.
Errhmm, people from that generation tend to be either not GenXers or fringe GenXers/Xenials (..admittedly my case).

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

Mostly not the same people

I think there's a single flat earther among the dozens I've known who skated and listened to PR and he's pretty mild in his beliefs and last time I saw him, I'm pretty sure I convinced him it's a globe, by using simple experiments and observations.

Most people I knew who really liked Bad Religion had higher IQs than average, imo. Most people I've met at BR concerts were smart kids.

Every generation has its loonies.

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
The Flash: 7.5/10 one of the best recent DC film.

Oppenheimer : 7.3/10 one of the weakest Nolan if not his weakest. Great sound, great explosion, good acting but 3 hours was too much for the pace and rythmn of the movie.

Reactions: Redux91

ReimanSum1908

Feb 23, 2012
Montreal

Again, I believe that you have radically overestimated the general historical knowledge base granted to youths through our contemporary education system.

Almost no twenty year old could identify Oppenheimer or tell you what he might have done, at least prior to the publicity generated by this film.

The majority of people at around the age of twenty, again, would be lucky to place WWII in the correct decades. It has little to do with hockey culture, and is, in fact, symptomatic of a much broader, and deeper, sociological cancer.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
It is a reach to decide he's stupid based on this clip. Not knowing about Oppenheimer doesn't make him stupid and it barely makes him uneducated since this is arcane knowledge for a 22 year old. Stupid generally means having difficulty learning things or that making decisions that hurt you. From afar, he seems to be doing fine learning what he needs to learn and making decisions that are helping him achieve his goals.

Well I know one thing, you have reading comprehension issues. lol I said at the beginning that I was not talking about Zegras. But that hockey players are in a culture that is not prone to the stimulate the intellect.

As for Oppenheimer, nowhere did I say that I expect people to know who he is. Just to show interest in something different culture-wise. I fully expect for example that some dude-bros are gonna go watch Oppenheimer. Curiosity is cool.

Canad13ns

Nov 6, 2018
Well I know one thing, you have reading comprehension issues. lol I said at the beginning that I was not talking about Zegras. But that hockey players are in a culture that is not prone to the stimulate the intellect.

As for Oppenheimer, nowhere did I say that I expect people to know who he is. Just to show interest in something different culture-wise. I fully expect for example that some dude-bros are gonna go watch Oppenheimer. Curiosity is cool.
Agree that curiosity is cool. I was responding to your response to an earlier commenter who said that many people in their 20’s have little knowledge of WWII. You said “so because he’s in his 20’s he has carte blanche to be stupid?” If I misinterpreted what you meant by that, my apologies. Not sure your personal attack on me was necessary though.

Reactions: Fenris

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022
All right, let’s go on a different direction sort of. Best war movies ever. My opinion: 1 Patton 2 Midway- Charlton Heston version 3 The Dirty Dozen 4 The Blue Max- Ursula Andress in her prime!!! 5 Tora Tora Tora.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
All right, let’s go on a different direction sort of. Best war movies ever. My opinion: 1 Patton 2 Midway- Charlton Heston version 3 The Dirty Dozen 4 The Blue Max- Ursula Andress in her prime!!! 5 Tora Tora Tora.
Tora Tora Tora is an amazing film. Agree it’s top-5.

I loved The Dirty Dozen, but maybe top-10 for me.

War movies in general though became an interest for me only around the late-80’s so it’s the more modern/mainstream movies that make my list.

Saving Private Ryan, Blackhawk Down, Glory, Apocalypse Now and Tora Tora Tora make up my top-5.

I haven’t thought of a ranking but other great films for me were Platoon, Full Metal Jacket, Schindler’s List, The Hurt Locker and Hacksaw Ridge (excellent film).

Surprisingly (for me), I have yet to watch Greyhound, Dunkirk and 1917.

The Pacific and Band of Brothers are also must watches for TV.

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022
Tora Tora Tora is an amazing film. Agree it’s top-5.

I loved The Dirty Dozen, but maybe top-10 for me.

War movies in general though became an interest for me only around the late-80’s so it’s the more modern/mainstream movies that make my list.

Saving Private Ryan, Blackhawk Down, Glory, Apocalypse Now and Tora Tora Tora make up my top-5.

I haven’t thought of a ranking but other great films for me were Platoon, Full Metal Jacket, Schindler’s List, The Hurt Locker and Hacksaw Ridge (excellent film).

Surprisingly (for me), I have yet to watch Greyhound, Dunkirk and 1917.

The Pacific and Band of Brothers are also must watches for TV.
Those are all good choices my friend!

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022
Those are all good choices my friend!
Another one I forgot “Tribes” Darren McGavin Jan-Michael Vincent ( love those 3 name actors) and Earl Holliman. More of a pro-anti Vietnam period piece about boot-camp but very well done!

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Zegras says he has never heard of Oppenheimer

This has nothing to do with Zegras but I just wanted to comment that hockey players in general are dumb lol. I swear all they watch are stupid comedies.
Having been in and around hockey culture my whole life I sadly have to concur. Hockey players generally know little to nothing of other cultures and have the worst taste in music and movies and are entirely politically inept. They typically are entirely devoid of any knowledge outside of current pop culture and sports and even in those areas their knowledge is usually only superficial with little to no understanding of cause and effect.

This always made things internally awkward for me having to at least partially assimilate to their rudimentary vision of the world around them without selling my soul and fully endorsing it. I don't consider myself to be exceptionally intelligent by any means but when around teammates I was always the smartest person in the room and to be quite honest I should absolutely never be the smartest person in any reasonably populated room.

Some of my closest friends also came from that culture but they were the ones that I introduced to a different way of seeing the world and we still have our differences but their hearts are at least in the right place.

ClasslessGuy

May 10, 2010
Chelsea, QC
My review of barbie ? A good 7

Honestly if you know what to expect they did a pretty good job, wasn’t expecting that angle at all.

Lot of angry men at the message but com on, you have to think about the message for a bit. I see it a 2 worlds at 2 end of the spectrum, lesson that the viewer need to understand by himself (because it’s not said in the movie) is that nobody is right, pefection is a mix of both. People chose to see it just as a anti men movie. You have to laugh about it lol if you can’t don’t watch it.

Lot of good jokes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad