OT: Let's talk about Movies and TV Shows, Part XXXI (now rated PG)

angusyoung

raise yor hand if u luv the beach as much as i do
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
“The stunt” I’m referring to (don’t want to spoil it) was 100% him. There‘s behind the scenes footage of him doing it like a couple dozen times also, not just once.

I believe he legit doesn’t think he’s risking his life. He actually enjoys doing this stuff. In the end, I guess if this is what brings him enjoyment, good on him.

I think he mentioned this during the making of Top Gun Maverick (can’t remember if I read it or saw it on TV) but he does a lot of this because of his dedication to the craft. He believes in putting this passion into his films and at least for Maverick and MI, it’s obvious he cares. Can’t fault him for that, though I’m sure studio execs clench a little when he says he wants to do a stunt.
Don't think it will spoil anything. So you talking about the bike and glide? if so,SIGN me up! looks like a frikkin blast! Don't be surprised if you see activities like that popping up in the near future. I've been riding since the teens and one of my kiwi buds got me into gliding in the 90's in NZ.

Even as kids on part of our property there was a pretty steep slope leading to the water and we made about an 80 foot path for our bicycles from wood that led to the boat dock and at the end of the dock we had a small ramp that would get you airborne pretty good and splashdown in the water,it was a blast! Skateboard was fail though,too much gap on the dock.:thumbu::thumbu:

Reactions: sandviper

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
It was over 30 years ago,guess it was fine or I probably would not have watched,even then there was so much crap on it was easy to just pull the plug. I have no idea about the woman and no idea what V is...............well that's not entirely true.:innocent:

You should really watch V, it's awesome. TV show from the 80s. It's sci-fi, there are beautiful women in it. But I won't tell you what that is. 😁 Cause the point is that there's a huge shock/surprise in the first episode and it's great. When that happened back in the day everybody was talking about it.

peate

Smiley
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
M.I. was one of the best TV series of its time, I didn't miss very many, The movies never interested me, curiously.

Which one is the best? Might be fun viewing.

Reactions: angusyoung

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
One of the impacts of having a baby is live virtually stopped watching TV and movies. I wonder when it's coming back.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
This could have been close to a Star Wars movie.....but it's not but it still look good

Moar superheroes movie

For fans of TWD......too many spin-off but this one bringing back Rick Grimes should be the ultimate one.

Reactions: Redux91

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
M.I. was one of the best TV series of its time, I didn't miss very many, The movies never interested me, curiously.

Which one is the best? Might be fun viewing.

If you want to be efficient and not watch all 7, I’d say watch the first, then Ghost Protocol, Rogue Nation, Fallout then Dead Reckoning (current). The quality has been very consistent over the past 4 films.

Unrelated to MI, I just watched Extraction 2. Very entertaining with an amazing 20 minute one shot sequence. Has narrative flaws but easily the best Netflix action film I’ve seen. Solid 7.5/10.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
For fans of TWD......too many spin-off but this one bringing back Rick Grimes should be the ultimate one.

I only kept watching the WD series because my wife is a huge zomb and WD fan. The original was shit for many seasons and FTWD wasn't much better, BUT, I've been watching Dead City (the Negan & Widow spin-off) and it's not bad at all. Jeffrey Dean Morgan can carry a show. For how long, idk, but for now it's good. Zeljko Ivanek makes a great villain and we're starting to see his boss, who's played by Lisa Emery of Ozark fame, where she portrayed the absolutely batshit crazy Marlene Snell.

We started watching Tales of TWD last week. Watched the first three episodes and it was good. One shot stories where they can go left field, which is refreshing. First episode is with Terry Crews and Olivia hmmm-Munn and it's pretty good. Second ep was a sorta WD Groundhog day with Parker Posey, which was funny, semi-original and light. Third episode is good even though i hate the main character. It's a genesis story of Alpha with a sorta cabin fever drama on a boat.

Wife said she saw the Darryl spin-off trailer and it looks bad according to her. I don't know how they expect to carry this show with Darryl mumbling poor dialogue.

I'll watch the Rick spin-off because: Wife. But i have to admit i want to see how Richone's story ends.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Zegras says he has never heard of Oppenheimer

This has nothing to do with Zegras but I just wanted to comment that hockey players in general are dumb lol. I swear all they watch are stupid comedies.
Young too though. I mean Oppenheimer isn’t exactly Einstein level icon.

Not withstanding the fact that you can be ‘smart’ without being culturally literate, I wouldn’t assume anyone’s intelligence or lack thereof for not knowing who he is.

Not giving you shit for that, I just don’t think Oppenheimer is quite that big a household name.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I only kept watching the WD series because my wife is a huge zomb and WD fan. The original was shit for many seasons and FTWD wasn't much better, Zeljko Ivanek makes a great villain and we're starting to see his boss, who's played by Lisa Emery of Ozark fame, where she portrayed the absolutely batshit crazy Marlene Snell.
I never got into WD as I couldn’t fathom the idea of a threat that is not fleet of foot and could be eliminated by the average American armed to the teeth but I’m sure there must be more to it than that. I only watched one episode so I need to delve deeper.

But then you have these spin-offs, which I don’t quite get. When is the WD All-Stars edition? Isn’t the concept overkilled at this point?

You mention Lisa Emery who was amazing in Ozark and who can scare the bejesus out of anyone. I’d definitely want to see her now that I know she’s in WD.

Looking her up, I can’t believe she’s 71. As per one site, she appears in Season 1 as a “tertiary antagonist” called the Dama. I wonder how many episodes she took part in.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I only kept watching the WD series because my wife is a huge zomb and WD fan. The original was shit for many seasons and FTWD wasn't much better, BUT, I've been watching Dead City (the Negan & Widow spin-off) and it's not bad at all. Jeffrey Dean Morgan can carry a show. For how long, idk, but for now it's good. Zeljko Ivanek makes a great villain and we're starting to see his boss, who's played by Lisa Emery of Ozark fame, where she portrayed the absolutely batshit crazy Marlene Snell.

We started watching Tales of TWD last week. Watched the first three episodes and it was good. One shot stories where they can go left field, which is refreshing. First episode is with Terry Crews and Olivia hmmm-Munn and it's pretty good. Second ep was a sorta WD Groundhog day with Parker Posey, which was funny, semi-original and light. Third episode is good even though i hate the main character. It's a genesis story of Alpha with a sorta cabin fever drama on a boat.

Wife said she saw the Darryl spin-off trailer and it looks bad according to her. I don't know how they expect to carry this show with Darryl mumbling poor dialogue.

I'll watch the Rick spin-off because: Wife. But i have to admit i want to see how Richone's story ends.

Wow, how many spin offs did they make of this?

I thought TWD got pretty silly after a while, but that first episode where the main character is going through the deserted streets of downtown Atlanta not knowing what has happened was one of my favourite moments ever. It just sent me chills.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I never got into WD as I couldn’t fathom the idea of a threat that is not fleet of foot and could be eliminated by the average American armed to the teeth but I’m sure there must be more to it than that. I only watched one episode so I need to delve deeper.
The real threat are not the zombies.
But then you have these spin-offs, which I don’t quite get. When is the WD All-Stars edition? Isn’t the concept overkilled at this point?

The concept is overkilled, but not fully exploited yet. The main storyline was constructed in a way that exploited very few possible tangents that might and should've been more interesting. The further it went on with the usual loose pattern of finding new haven/crossing the new villain-du-jour/war with the villain, losing a few troops, victory or defeat, retreat, rinse and repeat, the further they were entranched in inevitable unfolding of events, the less they had space to innovate.

Doing the spin-offs, kinda liberates them to explore more interesting stotylines, imo.

You mention Lisa Emery who was amazing in Ozark and who can scare the bejesus out of anyone. I’d definitely want to see her now that I know she’s in WD.

Her character is quite the opposite as she plays a New York aristocrat turned doomsday autocrat and ruler of a destitute Manhattan.

Looking her up, I can’t believe she’s 71. As per one site, she appears in Season 1 as a “tertiary antagonist” called the Dama. I wonder how many episodes she took part in.

She seems like she'll be around for at least a few more episodes.

Reactions: Runner77

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Zegras says he has never heard of Oppenheimer

This has nothing to do with Zegras but I just wanted to comment that hockey players in general are dumb lol. I swear all they watch are stupid comedies.
This is more a testament of how the education system has failed our society more than anything else. The average person on social media is dumb beyond comprehension. I'd expect an intelligent 10 years old to be more educated than the average person on social media. But since those kids are going thru the same education system they are probably not.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

The 1st season with Frank Darabont was very good. After that it went downhill and fast. I stopped at season 4 or 5. Rick was slowly becoming the bad guy in the story and it did not even look like an intended story arc. And that villain with the baseball bat was something. The bat was actually more interesting that the villain himself. I heard he had a redemption arc which is laughable. I mean the guy was a psychopath with no real motive other than enjoying suffering.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
The 1st season with Frank Darabont was very good. After that it went downhill and fast. I stopped at season 4 or 5. Rick was slowly becoming the bad guy in the story and it did not even look like an intended story arc. And that villain with the baseball bat was something. The bat was actually more interesting that the villain himself. I heard he had a redemption arc which is laughable. I mean the guy was a psychopath with no real motive other than enjoying suffering.

That's not true, even in the first season of Negan. Whatever he does, it's spectacle to create psychological subjugation. He even shows a soft spot right from the start, when he's charmed by Carl's spunk (Rick's son) and befriends him.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
This is more a testament of how the education system has failed our society more than anything else. The average person on social media is dumb beyond comprehension. I'd expect an intelligent 10 years old to be more educated than the average person on social media. But since those kids are going thru the same education system they are probably not.

It's not just the education system. It's also majorly our western culture that puts intense focus on trivialities, competition and stardom.

As John D Rockefeller said "I don’t want a nation of thinkers, I want a nation of workers." To do that, you need people's social ideals and motivations to be redirected, hijacked, distracted and vanquished.

Reactions: Dick Duff

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham

You are right. But having grown up with hockey players and watching the Habs players in vignettes on You Tube and the friends of my nephew who are all hockey players(some of them playing in the Q right now and other leagues), their tastes are...."simple" and it all boils down to stupid, moronic comedies. lol I sort of have grown to accept it that it's like a bro-dude culture a la people in the military. That people like that like stuff like that.

Maybe it's not even about intelligence but of a different breed of people that I cannot simply understand. 😄

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
You are right. But having grown up with hockey players and watching the Habs players in vignettes on You Tube and the friends of my nephew who are all hockey players(some of them playing in the Q right now and other leagues), their tastes are...."simple" and it all boils down to stupid, moronic comedies. lol I sort of have grown to accept it that it's like a bro-dude culture a la people in the military. That people like that like stuff like that.

Maybe it's not even about intelligence but of a different breed of people that I cannot simply understand. 😄
Do you think we’d be getting the same profile of player if instead of the Q, we had an NCAA type system where they would not be neglecting a formal education in order to play hockey?

Reactions: Kimota

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
So is walking dead actually good?

I liked the first season of van helsing. That gradually got more stupid though. Season one was great though, as were parts of two.

As John D Rockefeller said "I don’t want a nation of thinkers, I want a nation of workers.

How far we've fallen, now they just want a nation of consumers.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
So is walking dead actually good?

I liked the first season of van helsing. That gradually got more stupid though. Season one was great though, as were parts of two.

How far we've fallen, now they just want a nation of consumers.

He wanted workers so he could have consumers. The basis of cyclical consumption. Companies pay wages to the workers to create products ==> Workers and Owners buy products ==> Money goes back to companies and owners and round n round we go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad