OT: Let's talk about Movies and TV Shows, Part XXXI (now rated PG)

TeacherMan

Mar 10, 2017
Ok, I might be in the grass here but I really enjoy almost all of those 90s gang movies. At the very top of this list for me is Blood In Blood Out! Fantastic flick in my opinion, much better than the over-hyped American Me! Soooo many great quotes from this movie! Give it a shot, you’ll have attitude for days my friends!

Órale, vato!

Reactions: Cournoyer12

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
I gave up on Succession before the end of season 1. There are certain elements that keep me interested in a show or not. I haven't identified those elements but, Succession didn't have them. GzoT, BB, Sopranos all had them, even old shows I'll rewatch, Honeymooners, All in the family, but not Happy days or Laverne and Shirley. Hell, I used to really like The Duchess of Duke street. Talk about a laid back series. Jeopardy I used to watch religiously every day. Since Trebek died, I've watched maybe 4 or 5. It's funny how the brain works.
I hear that often about succession but then again, I was immediately hooked on EP1, literally. And now that it's over its in my top 3 with Breaking Bad and Sopranos.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I gave up on Succession before the end of season 1. There are certain elements that keep me interested in a show or not. I haven't identified those elements but, Succession didn't have them. GzoT, BB, Sopranos all had them, even old shows I'll rewatch, Honeymooners, All in the family, but not Happy days or Laverne and Shirley. Hell, I used to really like The Duchess of Duke street. Talk about a laid back series. Jeopardy I used to watch religiously every day. Since Trebek died, I've watched maybe 4 or 5. It's funny how the brain works.

What are you talking about when they stabbed Fonzi in the back, I felt it. I will always remember the Surf Wedding.

angusyoung

raise yor hand if u luv the beach as much as i do
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Incomplete without this. ;)

Who doesn't relish condiment humor?:laugh:

What are you talking about when they stabbed Fonzi in the back, I felt it. I will always remember the Surf Wedding.
Fonzi got stabbed in the back on Happy days? wow,you'd think I'd remember that. Don't remember the show being that ultra violent though:dunno:

• Wow
Reactions: Runner77

angusyoung

raise yor hand if u luv the beach as much as i do
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
How'd this show stay on the air so long? It sure wan't the theme song or the stellar acting. Tried watching it not long ago,just couldn't.
Apparently it was a show that was responsible for a sharp spike in Kleenex sales and a hand cream though:dunno:

which_original_charlies_angel_are_you_featured_large.jpg

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Incomplete without this. ;)

Damn that outfit makes me want to throw up. First of all yellow doesn't work on screen. Second of all why the sleeves? Thirdly, no masks. Fourthly.....

....The Brown costume is better! The yellow outfit was more in the early comics when Wolvie was more of an unknown. The classic Wolverine costume is tthe brown one. Which he had for the longest time. It fits him more, it's less showy. I know they want to go back to the joke "what do you expect, yellow outfits?" from the first X-Men movie. But every X-Men fan that knows his shit knows that the brown one was where it's at.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
That will strengthen the resolve of those that want to see it. What is being done now only casts a negative light against those that oppose it. What could they possibly be afraid of?
Why would it? The whole hype about this movie is ridiculous at best. I've not watched it but the hype looks very sketchy. From what i know it doesn't follow the real story outside of the beginning where he saves the boy. The rest looks fictional. This is the kind of stories that suit a documentary more than a movie. It's not the first movie about the subject matter and as far as i know none was widely released in the theater (for obvious reasons). People go to the theater to see comic book trash sadly. Even drama these days are mostly independant and not shown in thater and not promoted (unless it's Nolan, Villeneuve, Spielberg or Scorsese).

If you want to see a good movie about the subject matter i'd highly recommend Lilya 4-Ever. It's a very very good swedish movie that is based on a true story and looks to be following the big lines of the story. I highly doubt this Sound of Freedom is as good. Strangely nobody ever talked about Lilya 4-Ever. It's not American and is' not pushed by QAnon so people did not care and give a flying **** about that girl who killed herself in real life. Anyway i'll stop here don't want to get too political.

[edit] Also a good documentary is Monster in the Shadows.

Last edited:
Reactions: ourobouros

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Why would it? The whole hype about this movie is ridiculous at best. I've not watched it but the hype looks very sketchy. From what i know it doesn't follow the real story outside of the beginning where he saves the boy. The rest looks fictional. This is the kind of stories that suit a documentary more than a movie. It's not the first movie about the subject matter and as far as i know none was widely released in the theater (for obvious reasons). People go to the theater to see comic book trash sadly. Even drama these days are mostly independant and not shown in thater and not promoted (unless it's Nolan, Villeneuve, Spielberg or Scorsese).

If you want to see a good movie about the subject matter i'd highly recommend Liliya-4ever. It's a very very good swedish movie that is based on a true story and looks to be following the big lines of the story. I highly doubt this Sound of Freedom is as good. Strangely nobody ever talked about Liliya-4ever. It's not American and is' not pushed by QAnon so people did not care and give a flying **** about that girl who killed herself in real life. Anyway i'll stop here don't want to get too political.

[edit] Also a good documentary is Monster in the Shadows.
Well, I haven't seen it yet but I will when I can. I know it took 5 years for them to get it released and that says a lot. If you want somewhat of a backstory both Ballard and Caviezel were recently interviewed by Jordan Peterson.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Watched Season 1 of Lincoln lawyer and liked it. Season 2 is here.

Tried this new series Average Joe based on the story but it never took off all thanks to horrid acting by several characters. Cut bait a third of the way into the 2nd episode as it truly became unbearable.

Moved over to the series Hijack. Loving it, lots of intrigue. Four episodes have dropped so far, the last one on July 11th. Am in the middle of Episode 2 and it just keeps getting better.

Reactions: sandviper

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
Silo season 1: 7.3/10 Great to good first 3 episodes after that it's more average. I was hoping for something a little bit better.

Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan season 3: 7/10 decent action average plot.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Worth going to see at the movie theater?

The main hype for the big screen/IMAX is the final third act with “the jump” and the train. If spectacle is your thing, the answer is yes. I did find the movie heavier in dialogue than the previous, but this is the first big screen worthy movie I’ve seen since maybe Maverick.

Just a few notes to maybe set expectations; this is typical Mission Impossible fare so don’t expect like classic cold war spy stuff. The tone is a similar to the previous 2 movies, so maybe a little more serious but still has all the humour and action we expect. There’s a little more emotional weight also compared to the prior films. I will say the Mcguffin is a bit cheesy but I guess we need to roll with it.

There’s been 7 movies, so this would be in the top-3 for me. I think I would rank Ghost Protocol and Fallout ahead. I‘d say this is on par with Rogue Nation.

Watched Season 1 of Lincoln lawyer and liked it. Season 2 is here.

Tried this new series Average Joe based on the story but it never took off all thanks to horrid acting by several characters. Cut bait a third of the way into the 2nd episode as it truly became unbearable.

Moved over to the series Hijack. Loving it, lots of intrigue. Four episodes have dropped so far, the last one on July 11th. Am in the middle of Episode 2 and it just keeps getting better.

Thanks for the recommendation of Hijack. I’ve been on the fence of this one but I am a big fan of Elba.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad