OT: Let's talk about Movies and TV Shows, Part XXXI (now rated PG)

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part One: 8.5/10 great action movie

taskmaster season 11: 8/10 good season

8.5 for MI sounds right. Good flick. Seeing it again tonight as this is the last chance for IMAX in my area before Oppenheimer comes out.

Just got around to finishing episode 4 of Secret Invasion. Yes, it’s still MCU fare but I am enjoying the show. This is about as close as you’ll get to cold war spy drama as you’ll find framed in a superhero universe. They’ve also been quite bold with the characters they’ve killed off.

Reactions: Runner77

angusyoung

raise yor hand if u luv the beach as much as i do
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
8.5 for MI sounds right. Good flick. Seeing it again tonight as this is the last chance for IMAX in my area before Oppenheimer comes out.

Just got around to finishing episode 4 of Secret Invasion. Yes, it’s still MCU fare but I am enjoying the show. This is about as close as you’ll get to cold war spy drama as you’ll find framed in a superhero universe. They’ve also been quite bold with the characters they’ve killed off.
My favorite thing about MI franchise is the theme songs! and not a cape in sight.:laugh:

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
My favorite thing about MI franchise is the theme songs! and not a cape in sight.:laugh:

Ethan Hunt may as well have a cape. He‘s unkillable.

I was rewatching MI3 today (love the bridge sequence) and one thing I’ve always hated about the MI movies is the intro always is made up of clips from the present movie.

Reactions: Redux91

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

I was rewatching MI3 today (love the bridge sequence) and one thing I’ve always hated about the MI movies is the intro always is made up of clips from the present movie.
I never got into the MI franchise. Was wondering how many you watched and liked:

Mission: Impossible (1996)

Mission: Impossible 2 (2000)

Mission: Impossible III (2006)

Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol(2011)

Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation(2015)

Mission: Impossible – Fallout (2018)

Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One (2023)

Before that, it was the 1966-73 TV series which was pretty good for its time.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
I never got into the MI franchise. Was wondering how many you watched and liked:

I think there's a general consensus among fans that the worst movie of this franchise is MI2 ( 2000 ) made by John Woo , it doesnt have the same appeal or vibe compare to the other movies. I watched all movies mutiple times except for the second one who i only watched two times. The second viewing of MI2 was to make sure that i had the right conclusion about this movie , following my first viewing ... and i was right .

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

I never watched the show but was aware of it. I personally have seen all 7 movies though.

While i did rate my top 3 being Ghost Protocol, Rogue Nation and a tie between Fallout and Dead Reckoning, i agree with @Frenchy that #2 was the worst. Not just “not as good” but something I thought was just terrible. I can’t pick out anything memorable.

MI3 was ok, but as I mentioned it has my favorite action sequence. The action itself was ok in that sequence but how it was paced, with the music, I loved it. The first movie was good but the last 4 are great spy action films.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I never watched the show but was aware of it. I personally have seen all 7 movies though.

While i did rate my top 3 being Ghost Protocol, Rogue Nation and a tie between Fallout and Dead Reckoning, i agree with @Frenchy that #2 was the worst. Not just “not as good” but something I thought was just terrible. I can’t pick out anything memorable.

MI3 was ok, but as I mentioned it has my favorite action sequence. The action itself was ok in that sequence but how it was paced, with the music, I loved it. The first movie was good but the last 4 are great spy action films.
As Stephen Colbert quipped, after all these MI movies, safe to say that the mission is possible.

Thanks for the feedback, always enjoy the recommendations.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

To think the movie series is almost as old as our last cup.

• Haha
Reactions: dinodebino

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
As Stephen Colbert quipped, after all these MI movies, safe to say that the mission is possible.

Thanks for the feedback, always enjoy the recommendations.

Of the current “action” series, Mission Impossible is easily the best. Not every movie was perfect, but ALL were enjoyable, minus MI2. If you skip any, skip that, but it may still be worth watching just to better appreciate the others.

The first 3 movies are standalone in nature, but starting with Ghost Protocol, they’ve began to serialize it a little. It’s preferable to watch them in sequence and the order of release. The last three I think were from the same director so the look and feel is consistent.

I think what makes this series so enjoyable is Tom Cruise. As wacky as he can be off camera, there is no doubt he pours everything into Mission Impossible and it shows.

Other series, like the Fast and Furious, can only wish they can achieve this level of quality and consistency.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

I'm certain he would even be able to dispatch the TERMINATOR without breaking a sweat!
And to think that Tom Cruise can do all that and he's a shade shorter and lighter than itty bitty Paul Byron:amazed:

Don't know why either but maybe just to refresh the memory of what happened previously?

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

They rebooted the original in the late 80's,it was good but didn't last.

mission-impossible-the-89-tv-season-large.jpg

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I'm certain he would even be able to dispatch the TERMINATOR without breaking a sweat!
And to think that Tom Cruise can do all that and he's a shade shorter and lighter than itty bitty Paul Byron:amazed:

Don't know why either but maybe just to refresh the memory of what happened previously?

The clips are of the movie we’re watching. So in Dead Reckoning, the intro plays clips from Dead Reckoning which I guess isn’t the end of the world since they’re not dumb enough to spoil anything but still….

In MI1, during the intro they show Ethan getting knocked down but the clip made it look like he got seriously injured or died (obviously he didn‘t die) but when I saw that the first time, I was wondering WTF?!? Thanks for the spoiler!

If it were a montage of past movies, that would be ok.

As for Cruise, to have that money and to be able to really live his dream of doing all these crazy stunts must be great (for him). For a lot of daredevils, money and access are barriers but Tom Cruise can pretty much do whatever he wants. I may have to think about it, but his “big” stunt in this current film is probably the most dangerous one he’s done.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
The clips are of the movie we’re watching. So in Dead Reckoning, the intro plays clips from Dead Reckoning which I guess isn’t the end of the world since they’re not dumb enough to spoil anything but still….

In MI1, during the intro they show Ethan getting knocked down but the clip made it look like he got seriously injured or died (obviously he didn‘t die) but when I saw that the first time, I was wondering WTF?!? Thanks for the spoiler!

As for Cruise, to have that money and to be able to really live his dream of doing all these crazy stunts must be great (for him). For a lot of daredevils, money and access are barriers but Tom Cruise can pretty much do whatever he wants. I may have to think about it, but his “big” stunt in this current film is probably the most dangerous one he’s done.
My bad! thought I saw previous:booboo::dunce::laugh:

He did it or his stand in/stunt man?

A lot of people can do what they like,hopefully though they contribute to worthwhile charitable needs:crossfing

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

It’s crazy that Cruise is insisting on doing all those perilous stunts when there are other means to get a convincing result. I know he wears the overcoming of his action challenges like a badge of honor but why risk his life anymore at this point?

Last edited:
Reactions: sandviper

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
My bad! thought I saw previous:booboo::dunce::laugh:

He did it or his stand in/stunt man?

A lot of people can do what they like,hopefully though they contribute to worthwhile charitable needs:crossfing

“The stunt” I’m referring to (don’t want to spoil it) was 100% him. There‘s behind the scenes footage of him doing it like a couple dozen times also, not just once.

It’s crazy that Cruise is insisting on doing all those perilous stunts when there are other means to get a convincing result. I know he wears thé overcoming of his action challenges like a badge of honor but why risk his life anymore at this point?

I believe he legit doesn’t think he’s risking his life. He actually enjoys doing this stuff. In the end, I guess if this is what brings him enjoyment, good on him.

I think he mentioned this during the making of Top Gun Maverick (can’t remember if I read it or saw it on TV) but he does a lot of this because of his dedication to the craft. He believes in putting this passion into his films and at least for Maverick and MI, it’s obvious he cares. Can’t fault him for that, though I’m sure studio execs clench a little when he says he wants to do a stunt.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham

I loved the TV show when I was a kid. From favorite to least favorite movies, I will say 1. Mission Impossible, 2. Fallout, 3. Ghost Protocol, 4. Rogue Nation, 5. III, 6. II. I have not seen Dead Reckoning yet.

They rebooted the original in the late 80's,it was good but didn't last.

View attachment 730087

I didn't know it existed until recently. Looks like something I would enjoy watching Is this the woman from V that's in there?

It’s crazy that Cruise is insisting on doing all those perilous stunts when there are other means to get a convincing result. I know he wears thé overcoming of his action challenges like a badge of honor but why risk his life anymore at this point?

I don't care, he sacrifices himself for our pleasure and that's good enough for me. 😁

Seriously though, practical effects/stunt > CGI That's real movie-making to me.

I don't know why Tom does this though but I cannot help but to admire it. He's a real flesh & blood action hero.

ReimanSum1908

Feb 23, 2012
Montreal
Largely because the other means of achieving the same results are likely to appear fake when audiences actually watch them on screen - the brain can discern the visceral nature of an authentic human performer compared to cgi, but it's also a mark of professional pride. Cruise has always been a member of a dying breed of actor whose focus in his performances boarders on dangerous obsession; I think that he would feel ashamed of himself if he "refused" to offer the audience something "authentic" in his own mind, and given the caliber of films these days, that attitude is not without merit.

Reactions: sandviper

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I loved the TV show when I was a kid. From favorite to least favorite movies, I will say 1. Mission Impossible, 2. Fallout, 3. Ghost Protocol, 4. Rogue Nation, 5. III, 6. II. I have not seen Dead Reckoning yet.

I didn't know it existed until recently. Looks like something I would enjoy watching Is this the woman from V that's in there?

I don't care, he sacrifices himself for our pleasure and that's good enough for me. 😁

Seriously though, practical effects/stunt > CGI That's real movie-making to me.

I don't know why Tom does this though but I cannot help but to admire it. He's a real flesh & blood action hero.
It was over 30 years ago,guess it was fine or I probably would not have watched,even then there was so much crap on it was easy to just pull the plug. I have no idea about the woman and no idea what V is...............well that's not entirely true.:innocent:

Barriwhite

Don’t be shocked by the tone of my voice
Nov 8, 2005
Montreal
Saw Dead Reckoning last night, I was entertained, but the movie has weaknesses:

- The shoehorned rival/enemy from Hunt’s past is not compelling (plus he has an uncanny resemblance to a realtor who’s face is everywhere);
- the AI threat is said to be omniscient/all-powerful, but is unable to fix its glaring weakness;
-the mcguffin is laughable in the context of the above-mentioned AI threat;
-Hunt mostly lucks his way out of situations. I only remember one display of spycraft by him in the whole movie and it solely hinges on the usual mask trick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad