OT: Let's talk about Movies and TV Shows, Part XXXI (now rated PG)

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
You blokes get some UK shows? this is an odd one,bizarre and poorly thought out,yet it has some allure,crimes,gangster,killing,drugs,during the eighties.Solid soundtrack during the show,all from that time.Have gotten just a sniff and it's only a few episodes so might last to see how she goes.

I haven't seen this show but I've watched many UK crime drama shows in the past so I may give this one a shot sometime in the future.

With not much else on to watch currently I've just started doing a re-watch of the BBC One series Bodyguard with Richard Madden. It still as one of the best opening scenes I've ever seen to start a series.

Reactions: angusyoung

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I haven't seen this show but I've watched many UK crime drama shows in the past so I may give this one a shot sometime in the future.

With not much else on to watch currently I've just started doing a re-watch of the BBC One series Bodyguard with Richard Madden. It still as one of the best opening scenes I've ever seen to start a series.
Foreign shows might be the way to go, given the ongoing writers’ strike in the US.

Perhaps we should get suggestions on UK shows, not just drama but also comedies.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Foreign shows might be the way to go, given the ongoing writers’ strike in the US.

Perhaps we should get suggestions on UK shows, not just drama but also comedies.
Sounds like a good idea to me. I'm always looking for new things to watch. The only comedy series I can ever remember watching from the BBC was the Mr's Brown's Boys show.

Reactions: Runner77

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Xavier Dolan Call it Quits as Director at 34 years old.

Se disant entre autres déçu par l’échec commercial de sa série La nuit où Laurier Gaudreault s’est réveillé, Xavier Dolan a annoncé à un quotidien espagnol qu’il mettait un terme à sa carrière de réalisateur.

« Je n’ai plus l’envie ni la force, presque personne ne voit ce que je fais. J’ai trop de déceptions », a-t-il expliqué dans un entretien accordé à El Pais qui fait grand bruit.

Ce n’est pas la première fois que le réalisateur de 34 ans évoque cette possibilité. Il a entre autres affirmé en novembre dernier au Journal de Montréal qu’il songeait « sérieusement à prendre une pause », apparemment échaudé par les succès mitigés de ses deux derniers longs métrages, Ma vie avec John F. Donovan et Matthias et Maxime. Il mentionnait également sa « lassitude » en mai dernier à l’émission Tout peut arriver.

He says nobody sees his movies so he feels it's pointless. Some perspective, it's difficult for everybody right now, even the big studios and even streaming services are all operating at a loss, losing subscribers and losing billions. At least if you want to make money, you have to do genre movies sci-fi or action. People are too comfortalbe, they are not going to the theater to see an author film that will make them depressed.

Author flicks are just not what's in right now. The 70s was the golden age of author where people would give you a golden carpet to walk on, you became mega star by being the most original guy outhere. That's not the case anymore.

As far as Xavier I have seen parts a movie he made in France with Vincent Cassell and whatshername from the last Bond movie and it was unbearable to watch, I stopped after 10 minutes. Last week I have seen the movie he made with Kitt Harington(Game of Thrones) that was filmed in Montreal. It was decent. But he seems to have a theme about crazy mothers that he keeps repeating over and over. We get it, bro. lol He used to be the talk of the town in France but even this has dimished lately with lukewarm responses. Maybe they realised his stuff was repetitive. Bear in mind Woody Allen movies were repetitive but they were very fun to watch. I wonder if Xavier could do a good comedies. That may help him regain success. We need smart comedies.

Last edited:

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Xavier Dolan Call it Quits as Director at 34 years old.

He says nobody sees his movies so he feels it's pointless. Some perspective, it's difficult for everybody right now, even the big studios and even streaming services are all operating at a loss, losing subscribers and losing billions. At least if you want to make money, you have to do genre movies sci or action. People are too comfortalbe, they are not going to the theater to see an author film that will make them depressed.

Author flicks are just not what's in right now. The 70s was the golden age of author where people would give you a golden carpet to walk on, you became mega star by being the most original guy outhere. That's not the case anymore.

As far as Xavier I have seen parts a movie he made in France with Vincent Cassell and whatshername from the last Bond movie and it was unbearable to watch, I stopped after 10 minutes. Last week I have seen the movie he made with Kitt Harington(Game of Thrones) that was filmed in Montreal. It was decent. But he seems to have a theme about crazy mothers that he keeps repeating over and over. We get it, bro. lol He used to be the talk about of the town in France but even this has dimished lately with lukewarm responses. Maybe they realised his stuff was repetitive. Bear in mind Woody Allen movies were repetitive but they were very fun to watch. I wonder if Xavier could do a good comedies. That may help him regain success. We need smart comedies.

Dolan is boring AF, doesn't mean indy movies are all like that.

The only reason we know his name is because the qc entertainment media kept pushing him massively. Dolan this, Dolan that. It was a regular f***ing Dolan-fest.

The entire industry is stuck in the law of diminishing return. They've churned out and keep churning out so much stuff, the product is hyper diluted and it's becoming increasingly difficult to be original and interesting. Hollywood has lost the plot and there are very few individuals pushing the boundaries anymore. It's all formated, formulaic and repetitive.

Was watching a lot of older movies lately, mainly from what I consider the golden age, between 1970 and 2000 and today's movies feel and look so different and I don't mean just the aesthetics. Lately it seems there are fewer actors and actresses with charisma that can carry a movie. Fewer directors who push the limits and fewer writers offering original ideas. I'm sure there are actually people to fill those spots, to offer something new and exciting, but the ever dominant pursuit of lucre has hollywood stuck in a cycle of safe bets.

Last edited:

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022
Ok, I might be in the grass here but I really enjoy almost all of those 90s gang movies. At the very top of this list for me is Blood In Blood Out! Fantastic flick in my opinion, much better than the over-hyped American Me! Soooo many great quotes from this movie! Give it a shot, you’ll have attitude for days my friends!

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I think it can be best summed up as Hollywood is in the business of making money, not movies.

I’ve always preferred escapism movies; action, sci-fi, fantasy and was never huge on dramas and indy films. I’ve watched those for sure, but I won’t debate the ”golden era” or whatever time period choose.

I do agree originality has declined, especially for escapism films. Everything is pretty much the same and boundaries aren’t pushed. When something groundbreaking does come out, it then becomes generic. Take something like the Matrix. First film was great, but then they saw the potential (money) and cranked out trash after.

Anyhow, maybe my standards are lower but in the end I’m only interested in entertainment. Charisma and chemistry matter most for me, followed by the story and spectacle. I do end up watching more movies I don’t like than I do, but I guess that’s just how it’s going to be for a while until Hollywood hits their tipping point.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Dolan is boring AF, doesn't mean indy movies are all like that.

The only reason we know his name is because the qc entertainment media kept pushing him massively. Dolan this, Dolan that. It was a regular f***ing Dolan-fest.

The entire industry is stuck in the law of dimishing return. They've churned out and keep churning out so much stuff, the product is hyper diluted and it's becoming increasingly difficult to be original and interesting. Hollywood has lost the plot and there are very few individuals pushing the boundaries anymore. It's all formated, formulaic and repetitive.

Was watching a lot of older movies lately, mainly from what I consider the golden age, between 1970 and 2000 and today's movies feel and look so different and I don't mean just the aesthetics. Lately it seems there are fewer actors and actresses with charisma that can carry a movie. Fewer directors who push the limits and fewer writers offering original ideas. I'm sure there are actually people to fill those spots, to offer something new and exciting, but the ever dominant pursuit of lucre has hollywood stuck in a cycle of safe bets.

I don't like his stuff either. But people are so fed up with super-hero movies, it's cool when people choose to do something else, original things. Nolan had a different voice but it was repetitive. With psycho mothers and struggling with sexuality, etc....I mean we get it already. I think the French media was more enamored with him than Quebec media. He became huge in France. Until....not.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I'm not enjoying Witcher season three as much as I did seasons 1 and 2. Not sure why.

It is a bit hard to keep track of the 500 characters and plotlines.

Reactions: Redux91

Barriwhite

Don’t be shocked by the tone of my voice
Nov 8, 2005
Montreal
I'm not enjoying Witcher season three as much as I did seasons 1 and 2. Not sure why.

It is a bit hard to keep track of the 500 characters and plotlines.
I quit after s2e1, I don’t remember why so I was thinking I’d pick it back up. You made me change my mind!

I like Secret Invasion so far. For those unaware, it involves an alien threat, but the plot and stakes are surprisingly grounded.

Reactions: Milhouse40

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Ok, I might be in the grass here but I really enjoy almost all of those 90s gang movies. At the very top of this list for me is Blood In Blood Out! Fantastic flick in my opinion, much better than the over-hyped American Me! Soooo many great quotes from this movie! Give it a shot, you’ll have attitude for days my friends!

Haven't seen that movie since I was a late teen. I remember I liked it very much. Still remember the backbreaker on the fire hydrant.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

Was one of my favorite movie when I was a teen, might have watched it 4-5 times

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Great one
Despite Damian Chapa's performance lol..
But a great watch, Cruzito is the best character with the best arc, really impressed me that actor
(Bratt was great too)
Oraleee ese, that's my carnal! lol

I'll always remember what a great trailer it was right before the start of my 1993 taped Super Mario Bros. The movie cassette :laugh:

Reactions: Cournoyer12

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I'm hoping to see it next week, just because some of the mainstream media is trashing it, you know its hitting a nerve.
It took them 5 years to get the movie released and we both know why. I want to see it but no one is showing it in this region. I am waiting to see what Twitter does, they are rumoured to be making it available to the public.

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
It took them 5 years to get the movie released and we both know why. I want to see it but no one is showing it in this region. I am waiting to see what Twitter does, they are rumoured to be making it available to the public.

watched a video that AMC theaters have turned off AC in just those showings lol. Nothing to see here, move along.

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022
Great one
Despite Damian Chapa's performance lol..
But a great watch, Cruzito is the best character with the best arc, really impressed me that actor
(Bratt was great too)
Oraleee ese, that's my carnal! lol

I'll always remember what a great trailer it was right before the start of my 1993 taped Super Mario Bros. The movie cassette :laugh:
You’re right, Chapa slips in and out of his accent many times, as does Forsythe in American Me! Popeye is my favorite character however. “Gimme some Chon Chon “ !! Always good for a chuckle!

peate

Smiley
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I gave up on Succession before the end of season 1. There are certain elements that keep me interested in a show or not. I haven't identified those elements but, Succession didn't have them. GzoT, BB, Sopranos all had them, even old shows I'll rewatch, Honeymooners, All in the family, but not Happy days or Laverne and Shirley. Hell, I used to really like The Duchess of Duke street. Talk about a laid back series. Jeopardy I used to watch religiously every day. Since Trebek died, I've watched maybe 4 or 5. It's funny how the brain works.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad