OT: Let's talk about Movies and TV Shows, Part XXXI (now rated PG)

angusyoung

raise yor hand if u luv the beach as much as i do
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Musicians are often stereotyped as drunken party animals, like the band that Rush used to open for, Kiss.

One night after Kiss had finished their set, they went back to their hotel rooms to freshen up. After which they headed to Rush’s hotel room with the idea of having them join Kiss for a party. When Gene Simmons knocked on their door, he got the shock of his life when he found that the 3 Rush members had gone to bed early and all of them were reading a book.
That's the type of people the city of Toronto would yield back then,sidewalk would roll up in time so everyone could get back home to catch Harvey Kirk pull an unknown liqueur bottle from his bottom drawer.:DD

And the total opposite,saw Ozzy go exit stage left during a show and do a bunch of lines! and when back, start yelling '' lets have a riot! I'm going crazy! '':laugh:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Anyone have anything negative before I make the move? Guessing your son is much younger than any of my entourage that would see it,nobody under 50 and not one North American in the crowd. It still holds up?
It’s a made for Tv mini series. If you go in with the expectation of dumb fun, you won’t be disappointed.

How young is your kid though? It’s network tv but there are some scenes that I wouldn’t show to anyone who wasn’t at least ten.

It’s a war between aliens and humans so there’s some violence and freaky scenes

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Is Oppenheimer any good?

Got nothing to do this afternoon so thinking about checking it out.

Thanks.

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022
I mentioned Ursula Andress in the Blue Max ( my pop always referred to her as Ursula Undress, I never stopped thinking that was funny), however I forgot to mention the great Karl Michael Vogler, squad commander in the Blue Max, also played Field Marshall Erwin Rommel in Patton. Great Actor!!!!!

Reactions: rik schau

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I've been watching the new Justified: City Primeval series and even though I liked the original Justified better this as still been a pretty good watch so far.

Although every time I see Olyphant's/Raylan's daughter on screen I'm expecting Silent Bob to appear at anytime. :)

Willa.jpg

Jay_and_Silent_Bob.jpg

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
I've been watching the new Justified: City Primeval series and even though I liked the original Justified better this as still been a pretty good watch so far.

Although every time I see Olyphant's/Raylan's daughter on screen I'm expecting Silent Bob to appear at anytime. :)

View attachment 731714

Jay_and_Silent_Bob.jpg
LMAO ! I've watched the first 3 epi and each time i saw the actress i've been telling myself : Hmmm she reminds me something , but idk what .:laugh:

Reactions: Cournoyer12

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Late the hate from the “film lovers” and purists flow but another good war film?

Rogue One

Yes, it‘s Star Wars but this has all the elements one would expect from a mission driven war film; rag tag band of misfits, impossible odds, unexpected heroes and a relatively grounded battle in the final act considering there are robots, space ships and aliens.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I'm gonna do it. I'm gonna get Perma hate on this board for this comment, but someone's gotta do it.

Nolan is the most overrated director/writer in this decade.

He's the intellectual man's Michael Bay.

Dude probably loves the smell of his own farts.

Aside from that, I do find it very interesting in a way that we love war movies so much. It almost feels conflicting. Never mind that a lot of them are financed by the military (can't make them look bad, here's some funding) and generally glorify war, but we should actively be against this idea (outside of historically accurate documentaries).

Maybe war is just in our DNA and we'll always be doomed to repeat the same stories.
I totally agree with you about Nolan, although Memento was a decent flick. Along with the Batman flick.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I'm gonna do it. I'm gonna get Perma hate on this board for this comment, but someone's gotta do it.

Aside from that, I do find it very interesting in a way that we love war movies so much. It almost feels conflicting. Never mind that a lot of them are financed by the military (can't make them look bad, here's some funding) and generally glorify war, but we should actively be against this idea (outside of historically accurate documentaries).

Maybe war is just in our DNA and we'll always be doomed to repeat the same stories.
Dude you were a weirdo if you DID like Nolan on this board at one point

Reactions: DAChampion

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Just thought about two other obscure ww2/post movies i saw and that i would recommend watching if you want to watch something else than just pew pew pew.

Land of Mine 2015
The Boy in the Striped Pajamas 2008

Reactions: Redux91

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

I really like his stuff. Have t seen Oppenheimer yet.

I will say that I turned off Tenet about halfway through…

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I really like his stuff. Have t seen Oppenheimer yet.
I will say that I turned off Tenet about halfway through…
My main problem with Nolan is the constant music non stop thru his movies. Specially in Tenet and one of the Batman (think the last one not sure i'd need to rewatch) it bothered me a lot. It other movies like Interstellar it worked better. He's one of the best director imo. Interstellar is one of the best movie i watched in this century. Memento was great. The Prestige and Inception were both pretty good too. Batman movies were good.

Reactions: the valiant effort

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
Interstellar’s “No Time for Caution” scene is the best combination of practical/special effects, lighting, scale, music, etc ever recorded together on film. :popcorn:

Reactions: Redux91

ClasslessGuy

May 10, 2010
Chelsea, QC
So my first impression after Oppenheimer

Score / music is incredible, sound is insane, oscar worthy. Had to look up who did it halfway in the movie.

Back in forth with future, past scene etc is well done like every nolan movie. He's a pro.

In terms of story, you have to know what you are getting into, it is slow-ish but every word said matters and the delivery of all actors is flawless. Couple oscars there as well.

There's one scene in particular in the last hour (not the bomb) that is increadible and everybody jumped out of their seat, I had a feeling it was coming but wow, anxiety just with sound (or lack of...)

No way Cillian Murphy doesn't get an oscar for this. Same for RDJ.

Is it one of my favorite movie or story of all time no, but in terms of bio movie it is at the top for sure.

Reactions: Redux91 and Chili

peate

Smiley
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
A Very Long Engagement
2004 ‧ War/Romance ‧ 2h 13m

Starring Audrey Tautou (Amélie Poulain)

Good movie with some pretty good special effects, WW1.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
My main problem with Nolan is the constant music non stop thru his movies. Specially in Tenet and one of the Batman (think the last one not sure i'd need to rewatch) it bothered me a lot. It other movies like Interstellar it worked better. He's one of the best director imo. Interstellar is one of the best movie i watched in this century. Memento was great. The Prestige and Inception were both pretty good too. Batman movies were good.
I love Christopher Nolan but I agree about the sound in his movies. It's like he doesn't get that people want to hear the dialogue. A common issue with this generation of filmmakers, Darren Aronofsky and Paul Thomas Anderson as well.

What I think is happening is that when he edits his movies he knows them inside and out and he loses touch with the expected experience of the people who will watch them once.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Late the hate from the “film lovers” and purists flow but another good war film?

Rogue One

Yes, it‘s Star Wars but this has all the elements one would expect from a mission driven war film; rag tag band of misfits, impossible odds, unexpected heroes and a relatively grounded battle in the final act considering there are robots, space ships and aliens.
Rogue One is easily the best of the Disney Star Wars movies, which isn't saying much. Disney's purchase of Star Wars has overall been a colossal failure, it's probably worse than even the biggest skeptical expected. They took a license to print a money -- The mediocre Force Awakening made 2 billion dollars -- and have virtually killed the franchise.

I enjoyed Rogue One but it falls short of being a great movie. It would have needed more time with the rebel alliance to understand how it was at that stage, with Forest Whitaker's character and with the scientist.

Orson Krennic was a very well done character though.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Rogue One is easily the best of the Disney Star Wars movies, which isn't saying much. Disney's purchase of Star Wars has overall been a colossal failure, it's probably worse than even the biggest skeptical expected. They took a license to print a money -- The mediocre Force Awakening made 2 billion dollars -- and have virtually killed the franchise.

I enjoyed Rogue One but it falls short of being a great movie. It would have needed more time with the rebel alliance to understand how it was at that stage, with Forest Whitaker's character and with the scientist.

Orson Krennic was a very well done character though.

I would agree. Force Awakens was fun I guess but there was nothing original or world building and easily forgettable.

The sequel trilogy as a whole was bad. Solo was bad. Obi-Wan was underwhelming as was Boba Fett. Even The Mandalorian has been uneven though there have been some great episodes. Andor I thought was excellent.

The best Disney Star Wars have been the animated stuff. Clone Wars, Rebels and Bad Batch have been very good.

As for Whitaker’s Saw Guerrera, just a wasted opportunity.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
As loud as Oppenheimer’s sound track was the movie failed to keep my wife and I awake for the whole 3 hrs. Purposely avoided reading any reviews or watching trailers so I could go in unbiased and was really looking forward to it but huge let down. The couple in front of us left an hour in, should’ve followed them out as it didn’t get any better.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Witcher season three ... Enjoyable but a lot of wasted potential. It also feels like there wasn't a whole lot of plot. I didn't understand the ending either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad