OT: Let's talk about Movies and TV Shows, Part XXXI (now rated PG)

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Saw Oppenheimer AND Dunkirk this weekend. I did enjoy both movies, particularly Dunkirk.

Oppenheimer was well done though I preferred the third act the most. That said, Nolan needs to turn down the music by like 5 so that we can hear the dialogue.

Random bits from this thread:

1) The acting in the SW sequel trilogy I wouldn’t call good. Maybe just less dated or less cheesy. Finn and Poe were VASTLY underused And wasted.

2) Sticking with SW sequels, they feel like they were written by action fans with basic knowledge of Star Wars as opposed to Star Wars fans who happen to like action. Rogue One was the lone exception for the movies. Most Dave Filoni and Jon Favreau work is good.

3) Jason Statham IS Tugg Speedman. LMAO… if he does his version of Simple Jack IRL…

angusyoung

raise yor hand if u luv the beach as much as i do
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Just catching up to the final season, kind of freaky how the lead is a carbon copy of one of the boys, aside from his over-up-tightness:amazed:

download.jpg

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I think this is generally a geeky forum in general, not the jock space you'd expect it to be.
Don't think anything can surprise me anymore. Being a lifelong competitive jock,I understand that not everybody has athleticism in their DNA but cool they can get into sport and be an athletic supporter:DD

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I think this is generally a geeky forum in general, not the jock space you'd expect it to be.
I don't know how old you are, but jocks without personalities stopped existing in the 90's. Even when I went to high school the "jocks" were also nerds. I would say games like Starcraft and Diablo II were extremely popular, as well as wrestling and other stuff that turned a lot of athletes into nerds.

Even a few years ago while I was working as mover, most young gen X/older millennial people I moved had elaborate warhammer sets, dungeons and dragons tables, or massive gaming collections, or movie libraries, or some other niche nerd stuff. Now I have my own business doing removal and it is the same thing, parents in that age group are frequently more nerdy than their kids.

There's just too many things to do and see on the internet now that someone's entire personality can't be "I play sports" or "I lift weights". Even the most jock-like person at the gym I frequent, who still acts like a 90's comedy movie character, shows off his decked out runescape character and says he plays whenever he has downtime and nothing to do at work.

The mantle of extremely judgmental assholes, when I was in high school, were the stoners, which is quite funny considering they used to be the chill keep to themselves types. Their whole personality revolved around weed and people who didn't smoke weed were intellectually inferior, because nothing makes you smarter than destroying brain cells.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Tropic Thunder 82% Rotten Tomatoes

Meet The Parents 85% Rotten Tomatoes

Zoolander 62% Rotten Tomatoes (thought this would be higher)

Royal Tenenbaums 81%

critics seem to like his movies? :dunno:
Meet the Parents is the only one I could get into,and that's due to the rest of the cast. Those others man,wow, bailed pretty quickly let me tell you. Can't think of any Stiller flick where he is funny,it's usually the others around him. The Mary one was good but again ....................

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Feels more like Tom Cruise is Tugg Speedman with Speedman's Scorcher VI reminiscent of Mission Impossible 13 or whatever we're at lol

Yeah, but Cruise is somewhere around 60 y/old and his career hasn't waned. Speedman is 30 something and crashing in TT.

Also, Cruise plays in TT so I doubt they were pointing fingers at him.

How many F&F has Vin Diesel played in? That sounds more like Speedman.

Last edited:

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Yeah, but Cruise is somewhere around 60 y/old and his career hasn't waned. Speedman is 30 something and crashing in TT.

Also, Cruise plays in TT so I doubt they were pointing fingers at him.

How many F&F has Vin Diesel played in? That sounds more like Speedman.

I think Diesel is a good comparison given how many F&F they cranked out.

Statham fits the mold of Speedman more in terms of the cheese in his movies like Transporter and Meg (looks like its turning into a franchise). Diesel is the main draw but he does have a large support cast in F&F. Statham tends to be the lone wolf more which fits Speedman’s profile IMO.

is Oppenheimer worth the trip to a matinee?

Yes from me, but I paid full pop for an evening IMAX show.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

peate

Smiley
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I finally got to watch the Musical Star Trek episode and as weird as it was, the numbers were great. Lyrically and musically flawless, performance by the actors were surprisingly good. I really liked La'am Noonien Sign, .Christina Chong's song. Her ending when she's in her quarters was especially good.
Another Johnathan Frakes success.

Reactions: Fenris

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Cured my insomnia
ughh. that slow? I generally like Nolan films, but he does tend to drag scene to scene - and I keep thinking what can possibly be exciting - there's no fight, war, etc..

mind you I felt the same going in to Titanic, like it's a boat - that sinks... how interesting can it be? lol

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
ughh. that slow? I generally like Nolan films, but he does tend to drag scene to scene - and I keep thinking what can possibly be exciting - there's no fight, war, etc..

mind you I felt the same going in to Titanic, like it's a boat - that sinks... how interesting can it be? lol
Worst movie I’ve seen in a long time and never actually saw all of it, probably the only Nolan film I didn’t like but full disclaimer I also hated interstellar, gravity, arrival - don’t do well with slow drama no matter what the cinematography is like

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Worst movie I’ve seen in a long time and never actually saw all of it, probably the only Nolan film I didn’t like but full disclaimer I also hated interstellar, gravity, arrival - don’t do well with slow drama no matter what the cinematography is like
interstellar was slow - but visually stunning and Sci Fi so I liked it.
Gravity was decent, visually stunning though and Sci Fi, so I liked it
*Arrival I dont think is Nolan (Villeneuve?), and yes that was tediously slow, I could barely stay awake.

I intend on seeing Oppenheimer, but was wondering is I should just wait for Streaming, or give it the wide screen treatment.

*now if you are talking about the epic film Arrival II, filmed in Brossard, then 10/10 as I was an "alien" extra in the film.. lol

PS. Spearmint Rhino is overpriced and half as good as any club in MTL.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Spearmint Rhino

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Tropic Thunder 82% Rotten Tomatoes

Meet The Parents 85% Rotten Tomatoes

Zoolander 62% Rotten Tomatoes (thought this would be higher)

Royal Tenenbaums 81%

critics seem to like his movies? :dunno:
he's very good in three early movies - reality bites which he also directed,
He's also terrific as the straight guy in two other very funny films-
flirting with disaster, one of my favourite comedies of all time, an early David O. Russell film
and of course, there's something about Mary
a Farrelly brothers classic

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal

the problem i have with Nolan is that it takes him an hour of explanatory exposition to set up the following two hours. He did this in interstellar, inception, tenet etc.
Lately he's been annoying me with his pummelling sound mixes - especially in Dunkirk and Tenet, and most recently with oppenheimer (which i Liked).

imo, Memento is a very good film and The Dark Knight is one of the greatest, if not the greatest superhero film ever made.

* I also have a soft spot for insomnia, an early film of his and really unlike anything he's ever made. The film also showed Robin Willams' versatility

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $656.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki
    Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki
    Wagers: 1