OT: Let's talk about Movies and TV Shows, Part XXX (...how can this possibly go wrong)

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
If Smith loses his Oscar for slapping a man on live tv the I will agree with you but if he doesn't face consequences, will you agree with me that it was staged?
No, why would I? You didn't answer why they would stage this. Neither have anything to gain from this, both risk a lot of public backlash creating this so again, why?
Ratings argument doesn't hold up as they have no affiliation to Oscars.

Reactions: Native

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Kaufman was known for confusing acts, and playing characters of different personality.
His approach was very different, so much so a lot of people thought he'd fake his own death for years.
It's a very different situation. Kaufman died at 35, Smith's career is 35 years. Neither Rock or Smith have this different approach.
Now if this was Joachim Phoenix, then I'd be more inclined to believe the fake theory.

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
No, why would I? You didn't answer why they would stage this. Neither have anything to gain from this, both risk a lot of public backlash creating this so again, why?
Ratings argument doesn't hold up as they have no affiliation to Oscars.
A grown ass man walks towards you in a somewhat aggressive manner and when he gets closer to you it’s just a natural reaction to put your hands behind your back and lean your jaw towards him lol. Yeah that couldn’t possibly have been staged. No arms raised in defence and no stumble after a hard slap either, no rubbing his jaw from the sting of the slap, nothing.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
A grown ass man walks towards you in a somewhat aggressive manner and when he gets closer to you it’s just a natural reaction to put your hands behind your back and lean your jaw towards him lol. Yeah that couldn’t possibly have been staged. No arms raised in defence and no stumble after a hard slap either, no rubbing his jaw from the sting of the slap, nothing.
It's not a grown ass man, it's not a stranger. He's an acquaintance, one that was laughing at your joke a second ago, another comedian, a slap from him is the last thing you expect him to do.

And again, you have zero argument as to "why".

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
It's not a grown ass man, it's not a stranger. He's an acquaintance, one that was laughing at your joke a second ago, another comedian, a slap from him is the last thing you expect him to do.

And again, you have zero argument as to "why".
Nobody rushes to the stage, Smith is permitted to go back to his seat, yell profanities in Rocks direction, no one does anything and a half hour later Smith wins an oscar and goes up on stage and cries in his acceptance speech. If he is not stripped of his award or is not punished for his actions then yes, it was a totally staged event in the interest of ratings for a show that has lost it's audience.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Nobody rushes to the stage, Smith is permitted to go back to his seat, yell profanities in Rocks direction, no one does anything and a half hour later Smith wins an oscar and goes up on stage and cries in his acceptance speech. If he is not stripped of his award or is not punished for his actions then yes, it was a totally staged event in the interest of ratings for a show that has lost it's audience.
Again, so what? It's a slap on the face, Smith is a megastar, and none of this has ever happened before. Furthermore, Chris Rock refused to press charges so again, you want to blow this out of proportion even further by doing what? Calling the cops? getting him removed?
You're trying to make sense of a unique and illogical event.You can't do that.
And again, you are void of any motive. You have no argument as to why both of these men would create this staged scene. Your ratings theory does not hold up at all.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
I wanna know the comeback Chris Rock held back after the slap, man's was about to roast the hell out of will with an August cuck joke I just know it :laugh::laugh::laugh:

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Yall know what a publicity stunt is? It's working BTW:nod:

1648652133801.png

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I don't see why this would be staged... but it's the age of the conspiracy theory.

Anyways, my thoughts: Nobody looks good here. People keep trying to put it into two "teams". Team Will or Chris... how about neither?

Joke was a low blow. Shouldn't have been made.

Smith's reaction is indefensible and he should've been removed.

The Academy has decided that it needs more 'shock humour' to attract a wider audience. In the past few years we've seen all kinds of tasteless jokes being made. Is it all that surprising that somebody finally went postal?

The Oscars are a waste of time. At least they used to have some feeling of elegance to them, but that's now all long gone.

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I thought it was obvious but apparently, others can't even see the possibility that this might be the case. It is, after all, Hollywood.

Yes it is Hollywood but they still have laws and usually public assault is frowned upon and punishable. USA the land of lawsuits:laugh:

Knackys

Jul 21, 2014
The joke was not even a low blow imo. He basically said that with her hair she could do the next GI Janes which is a bad ass female character in an old school movie. And even you feel offended by a joke or a ''bad joke'', does that give you the right to go on stage and assault the comedian? I mean by this logic nobody will want to be a comedian anymore if at any point someone can come on stage and slap the shit out of you because you have somehow hurt their feeling with a joke. This is just ridiculous.

Reactions: Kimota

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Yes it is Hollywood but they still have laws and usually public assault is frowned upon and punishable. USA the land of lawsuits:laugh:
So with consequences in mind it would be career suicide to do something like that on prime time television unless it was staged. If Smith is punished for the slap I will change my view.

Reactions: angusyoung

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I don't see why this would be staged... but it's the age of the conspiracy theory.

Anyways, my thoughts: Nobody looks good here. People keep trying to put it into two "teams". Team Will or Chris... how about neither?

Joke was a low blow. Shouldn't have been made.

Smith's reaction is indefensible and he should've been removed.

The Academy has decided that it needs more 'shock humour' to attract a wider audience. In the past few years we've seen all kinds of tasteless jokes being made. Is it all that surprising that somebody finally went postal?

The Oscars are a waste of time. At least they used to have some feeling of elegance to them, but that's now all long gone.
I dont know why it's even considered a low blow. He didn't make fun of her sickness, he poked fun at her look bringing up GI Jane, who people seem to forget is this complete bad ass soldier who perseveres through all the macho misogynist BS of being in the army brings to her. This is one of the mildest poke jokes I've heard.
To make it even weirder, JPS has discussed her sickness publicly and said she fully embraces it.
Even Rock after the slap says "dude, it was a GI Jane joke", in other words "wtf man".

Did you hear Rebel Wilson's joke? Referencing all the men she cheated on Smith with? Another thing JPS has publicly discussed.
The woman even admitted to having slept with her son's rapper friend.

What will did wad the most macho thing one could do, to me it shows more about the emasculanation Will probably is going through. The man is broken and clearly going through some things because this is not normal or acceptable behavior.

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
So what new branch of pizza restaurants are Chris and Will opening?
There is a reason behind a public stunt, so what is it here?
I gather you missed the gist of the post? surely you know what an example is right, it's rather clear and self explanatory.
Best guess though if they choose to open a pizza parlor, IDK,maybe '' fresh pizza, HAIR today, GOON tomorrow''? :dunno:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I gather you missed the gist of the post? surely you know what an example is right, it's rather clear and self explanatory.
Best guess though if they choose to open a pizza parlor, IDK,maybe '' fresh pizza, HAIR today, GOON tomorrow''? :dunno:
Yes mate, you're the one that took my post too literal. The point is, what's their motive for this public stunt?
Chris Rock is one of the best and most popular comics out there, he does not need any help promoting himself.
Will Smith is a megastar that's been in the limelight for 35years+, he has a bunch of blockbusters already to his name and just won the Oscar. He does not need any promotional stunt.

So again, why do that?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I am not trying to convince anyone, it is just my view that it was staged, there's just too much at stake for everyone involved to attempt a career-killing move on live TV. We live in a time where merely saying the wrong thing gets people in trouble, I just see this as a staged act especially if Smith doesn't face repercussions for his actions.
You wanted repercussions, they are on their way.

First off, this happened right after the incident:

“The Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences on Wednesday said that Will Smith was asked to leave Sunday's Oscar ceremony after hitting Chris Rock but refused to do so.”

That’s the level of asshole that he is. He has anger management issues. Imagine having the gall to refuse to leave. So we know there was immediate pushback by the Academy.

As for repercussions, the Academy has initiated disciplinary proceedings:

“The academy's board of governors met Wednesday to initiate disciplinary proceedings against Smith for violations against the group's standards of conduct. The academy said disciplinary action for Smith could include suspension, expulsion or other sanctions.”

Smith exhibited similar threatening behavior and intrusiveness when Pinkett was interviewed on Piers Morgan’s old CNN show, so what happened at the awards is perfectly consistent with how Smith behaves.

Why would the Academy initiate disciplinary proceedings if it was staged? Makes no sense since all those on the disciplinary committee would have to be in on it by prolonging a charade.

All of the above shows that the incident was not staged.

Academy rules are clear. He will be held liable for violating those rules and there will be consequences.

Last edited:
Reactions: OldCraig71

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad